Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Raserys posted:

THE TIGER OF JIANG DONG CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH :black101: Seriously, though, that makes zero sense. Even ignoring the fact that it's Wu, none of the warlords in the entire series would be content with just a third of China. Still hoping for the eventual world conquest by the Sun family.

Having just gotten around to playing it, that sounds like it follows the family's characterization in 7, actually. Most of Sun Jian and Sun Quan's ambition came from trying to provide a safe land for their family and people to live in and didn't really care about the whole 'rule all of China' thing. It was just that the guy trying to rule all of China was a warmongering douche who needed to be forcibly removed for the good of the people of Wu, and if someone had to take his place, well, why not the Sun family.

That was one thing I liked about 7 compared to the other Dynasty Warriors games- Shu had ambition but lacked direction and resolve until they picked up Zhuge Liang (and became fanatical about their goals to the point of folly after he died). Wei wanted to bring unified peace but decided martial force was the only way he could be sure it would stick and became ruthless conquerors that terrified the other two kingdoms into action. The Sun family just kinda wanted to be left alone and didn't really care much about anything besides protecting their own Kingdom, even if it meant doing some shady things for their own good instead of for the land as a whole. All the Kingdoms came off as heavily flawed this time around... as befitting of the game that finally introduced the scenario that is basically the fall of the Three Kingdoms, I guess.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Awesome. DW8 is on the way soon and is getting actual localization value.

Dynasty Warriors dubs have always been terrible, but in a charming way like old kung fu movies. I'd miss it if I wasn't warned not to chase Lu Bu in a language I understood, so I have absolutely no excuse when I ignore the advice and get murdered.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

thorsilver posted:

So I've been looking at getting DW8 XL Complete on Vita. I've seen complaints that the framerate is bad though. Just how rough is it? Is it playable or is it too frustrating to even bother with?

It runs somewhere between choppy and absolute poo poo. It's known to crap itself down to single-digit frame rates (and rarely outrightly CRASH) during some Musous. It is the absolute worst way to experience Dynasty Warriors 8 and you probably want to avoid it if you've got another version and you don't feel a horrible burning need to play Dynasty Warriors on the go.

The funny thing is that the Japanese version got this problem patched up really quickly and only suffers from the odd Gatekeeper bug. Like, it's still not silky smooth but the Japanese version has a very playable framerate at all times while still keeping a screen full of dudes and effects. The US version, supposedly, was based on this patched version, but runs like horseshit the moment things start going down heavily.

Until the US version gets a new patch to bring it to parity with the Japanese version, I cannot recommend the Vita version of DW8:XL unless you are very desperate for Dynasty Warriors action on the go. The fact it still has yet to receive this patch is probably the most worrisome part.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 18, 2014

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, this summer sale's been surprising. Hell, it started out surprising, what with Dead Rising 3 still months from release but in the first daily sale.

Revengenence did the same thing in the Winter Sale, so there is some precedent there.

But yeah, DW8 PC is an amazing port barring the lack of online. It runs buttery smooth on my admittedly overpowered laptop and I just get to murder hundred of mans with no frame drops and extremely limited pop-in (almost all spawning related, not performance.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I kinda asked before, but is anyone playing the PC version with a 360 controller (actually in my case a DS4 but it emulates the 360 controller perfectly thanks to an input wrapper) and it just feels weird, compared to any other PC game using the controller? The joystick dead zone is huge and seemingly not the same between vertical and horizontal, it sometimes ignores my inputs or something (I need to activate a musou right now to avoid an enemy's musou, but it doesn't activate and I get hit), and I dunno what else. It's the only deficiency of the PC version I can see.

edit: vvvv I've played it on the PS3 too so it's nothing about the game itself.

Oddly enough, I noticed problems with my Razer Onza 360 controller (most notably issues while riding a horse or trying to run in anything besides a straight line) but I switched to a X-Box One controller when the drivers hit and I've had zero issues at all with those.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

5er posted:

I'm stoked for 4 and I'm looking forward to seeing how the features I really liked from 3DS' 'Chronicles' integrated into this title.

Trying some pvp in Destiny got me so disgusted with the game that I impulsively picked up Hyrule Warriors for a palette cleanser :v: No regrets. I'm a few maps deep in both story and adventure modes and I'm really enjoying it! I'm kind of wondering at what's being considered so difficult about it so far, but then again I'm a veteran of so many of these titles. One thing I've learned from them, is to pay attention to the dialogue and chatter that occurs during a battle, as it often tells you where to go next, and not to ignore your allied officers when they screech for help.

If I had to guess, it's Volga's fault. After his first couple appearances, he suddenly decides to stop screwing around and starts really starts spamming big, sweeping, guard-breaking attacks and almost all of his Weak Points are either very short lived or after attacks hard to avoid. He's not that bad as long as your character has a weak launcher as their Charge 2 they can follow up but he's the first guy who demands you a) Learn to dodge and b) doesn't let you just sit and wait until the Weak Point icon shows up as an obvious HIT ME NOW sign.

Fittingly enough, he's still being played as pretty much the heaviest guy on the field whenever he shows up by a large margin, but I've only just wrapped up the first branched section of Legend Mode.

Some of the beefier leader monsters can be pretty mean too- the dragon-dudes are a lot like Volga in that they don't like to cause Weak Points much, so you often just gotta do the same thing and sock them in the jaw with short combos repeatedly.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tae posted:

I thought the dw8 port was perfect, so I don't know what problems occurred for you, but sw is about equal at worst to it.

Most people's problems with DW8XL on Steam came from the janky controller integration that made the stick weird to control stuff with the X360 controller. I used a Xbone controller later and it worked a lot better, but I remember something weird with the dead zones and diagonals with the original X360 when I first started playing- specifically, you could only ride your horse in straight lines and had to stop to turn.

In most ways, the PC port is likely the best option after the PS4 version overall but I'd hit up the Steam forums and such and look at the troubles people are having. A lot of Koei ports have been kinda slap-dash and buggy in weird ways and they haven't been the most judicious in post-launch support, so I'd definitely do my research before purchase here.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

You are right, we as a nation are incapable of being sexy. It's a wonder we haven't died out already :smith:

Is it worth getting DQH if I'm still playing Pirate Warriors 3? I'm a much bigger fan of One Piece than Dragon Quest, but what turns me off those games is the combat which doesn't really apply here, and this stuff I'm hearing about it having a lot of RPG elements is intriguing.

It plays a lot like someone made a traditional Action RPG and they decided to use the Musou combat engine- fighting comes of a lot like a Musou game but the rest of the framework around it feels like it could come from just about any Dragon Quest spin-off. It basically makes the flow of the game different then any other Warriors game- the most notable being a number of 'protect this' stages with the only allies on the field being your four man party and a very small number of allied monsters you collect mid-stage and managing your time to go out and close enemy spawn points while getting back to objectives before monsters from the rest of the field lurch over to them, then clear the pack fast enough to go out and get another spawn point. It's really fast-paced and hectic and contrasts really well against Pirate Warriors 3, where your allies are numerous and usually can defend themselves and objectives for very long periods of time with minimal babysitting so you're mostly focused on following the more esoteric goals the game sets before you and trying not to die. (Which, admittedly, isn't very hard. PW3 is not a very difficult game at all, which is weird because I remember PW2 being one of the hardest Musou games.)

Also, the game is just really, really polished. The graphics are amazing for a musou game, the slowdown is far less frequent, and of course you got all the DQ audio touches. Even Hyrule Warriors didn't get the kind of love DQ Heroes got in overall presentation. This is just straight up one of the most glitzed up games on the PS4.

But as others mentioned, the base combat in Pirate Warriors is head and shoulders above DQ Heroes (probably because PW3 is actually the newer game) and it's also got quite a bit more to do if game length is your kinda thing. As just a Musou game, I'd saw PW3 is the better one (and probably the best in the series) but Dragon Quest Heroes is pretty different take on the overall Musou experience and is worth your time if you're interested in that kind of thing, even if you don't have a whole lot of DQ nostalga.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

mune posted:

I don't watch anime or know anything about that show, unfortunately, so it'll probably be a pass for me. I appreciate the suggestion though!

edit: Looks like it's between DQH and SW4-2 for me.

Pirate Warriors 3 is legit the best Musou game. I know little about One Piece or anime in general and I'm having a blast with Pirate Warriors 3. It's not quite as content-rich as WO3/Hyrule but it's got a ton to do, a lot of really diverse character to play as, and some of the best fighting mechanics and story missions. The only thing I can't vouch for is how well it treats the actual One Piece IP.

I like it quite a bit better then DW Heroes, and I am a fan of the DQ games. If you really don't like the anime aesthetic, my backing is behind SW-2

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

It's not like I think MHW looks bad. What puts me off about it, though, is that it seems like you've got to invest a lot of time into it, and it relies on you being able to connect with others in multiplayer so as to complete quests more easily. It's more of fear of dropping the money on it and not really having time to make a dent in it between work, other games, and whatnot.

DW9 I'm expecting to be like the other games, where you can pick it up and play without much hassle, only in an open-world environment.

Just about everything in the game is soloable, with only the Arena quests not scaling down to one player (and there's nothing in the Arena quests you can't earn by just getting more clears even with a B/C clear ranking, IIRC) and the game even goes out of it's way to make adjust itself for a lone player- the monsters get less aggressive and tend to be more predictable with only one target, do less damage, and have less HP. While the game is almost entirely easier with other players that at least got an idea what they're doing (if nothing else, it lets you diversify kits and have players hitting a monster when it's engaged with someone else) it's definitely not undoable alone.

It's definitely a time sink if you really want to dig into it, but you can see the end of the 'story' in probably about 30-60 hours of casual play (depending on how much you really dig into messing with gearsets instead of just building power combos and moving on) and move on to something else if the MH Aftergame Grind isn't your cup of tea.

DW9 was a game I was excited for, but just about everything's saying it's less up a pick up and play game and more of a 'put down and back away, slowly' kind of game. Like, critics usually don't give Warriors games the time of day, but even known Dynasty Warriors Apologists like Jim Sterling are calling it worst game of the series and to be avoided at all costs, and I mean DW6 still haunts many of us to this day.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Watching that trailer, it looks like the slow down was a stylistic choice. They only did it during those super moves. The pop-in though... holy poo poo. Koei should contact Sony and get someone from Guerrilla or Naughty Dog to come over and help them build an engine.

Kind of a serious question: why isn't this style of game mimiced more? Outside of Sengoku Basara and Ninety-Nine Nights (remember that 360 exclusive?) I can't really think of any big ones that aren't made by Omega Force.

There are several you’re forgetting, like Drakkengard, Senran Kagura/Valkyrie Drive, the odd spinoff game like Soul Calibur Legends or Anarchy Reigns.

The problem is that most aren’t very good and OF has kinda been crowding others out by grabbing every license and doing 4+ of their own a year.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Dynasty Warriors 9/The Elder Scrolls 6

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Is....9....good yet?

9 has too many fundamental problems with it's design to be fixed with a mere patch. I'd check back in around Xtreme Legends time.

BlazetheInferno posted:

You know, to this very day I remain baffled by this one Gate Captain.

Dynasty Warriors 3, Yi Ling, Shu-side. The Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. Why the gently caress does he have commander-defense?!

Probably a programming error. Since it's a late-game map for most campaigns, it's got a lot of amped-up bosses, and it probably got a buff intended for one of the other major Wu generals (Maybe even SSX? Most of the other main Wu generals had the super-boss thing going on that map but I remember SSX kinda just being there, which is weird to think about now considering how pushed she was for the Wu side in 3, but I kinda just wrote off as just her just being a really easy general compared to Super Ning or Sun 'Archer Lord' Quan.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dual Monarchy posted:

I feel like the DW characterisation takes a lot strongly from the Romance of the 3K novels-- well, more in the earlier installments compared to the recent releases since they focused on 184-234AD and would drop off a cliff after Wu Zhang-- since Luo Guanzhong had a ridiculous Shu-bias. While I got the bias from the novel, I couldn't tell you how thorough it is since I only ever had the abridged version of it.

In the early DW’s the Romance characterizations are mostly there in terms of motives and roles, except major characters who were kinda clowns in the novel (like Zhou Yu) got an upgrade while a lot of more minor characters (like Zheng He and Xu Chu) got clowned up to diversify the character designs.

Slowly from DW5 to where it was finalized in DW7, the narrative drifted more to a balanced approach- Shu were the righteous but overzealous defenders of the Han who missed the signs that the times were changing. Wei became the ‘Peace in our time. By War if we must’ faction who doesn’t understand why everyone won’t shut up and just listen to them. And Wu just wants to be left alone to rule it’s lands in peace, but Sun Jian just had to steal the Imperial Seal, and Sun Ce basically spent his entire adult life conquering other lands until the Wu borders started rubbing against the Wei...

Not coincidentally, DW7 was the first one featuring the surprise final boss of the Three Kingdoms era, the Jin. Who have been portrayed as basically a family of wacky supervillians, including the one token kid who really isn’t feeling it but winds up joining the family business anyways because it turns out everyone else is really stupid. Giving an actual villainous faction let them soften Wu and especially Wei’s portrayal as antagonists.

(And yes, the novel is pretty much Shu fan fiction until it becomes a Liu Shan hatefic instead. The Wei are callow and cunning cackling villains and the Wu are petty morons reaching beyond their grasp and it’s a terrible tragedy the glorious Shu have to live in the same world as such debased creatures.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
DW8 is kinda the weird 'stories that weren't told' follow-up to DW7's straight update to the core Three Kingdoms story. DW8's the better game in pretty much every aspect otherwise, but if you're a big fan of the campaign in 8 and you want to get the Big Epic Beats version of the central plotline, DW7 is worth a go.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I do find it interesting that Samurai Warriors decided to make Hideyoshi the nicest of the Three Unifiers. I mean, this isn't even a Guan Yu situation - both Japanese folklore and the historical record paint him as a brutal, erratic, and sexually rapacious tyrant, and that's before we get to what he did to Korea. Even having Goemon Ishikawa in the same game as awkward, idealistic nice guy Hideyoshi seems weird.

I know that the Warriors series likes to play fast and loose with the historical record, but they usually have their major characters within shouting distance of their historical/folkloric personalities.

All three unifiers of Japan get softened quite a bit in Samurai Warriors- Tokugawa is a protective, soft-hearted father to his men figure who only in SW4 finally shows signs of (incredibly reluctantly) taking the first steps towards becoming the ruthless warlord who slaughtered many who committed even minor slights against him and created one of the most controlling and rigid caste systems in recorded history.

Even Oda Nobunaga in the later games mostly gets treated as a man who seems intent in uniting Japan by mostly pissing the entirety of it off at himself because it's the only way to get them to stop killing each other, then willingly take a dirt nap to let whichever of his vassals manages to rise up take over in his place afterwards.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

isk posted:

I don't recall any major issues with it. DW9 on the other hand struggles on PC

DW8XL, like other early Koei Warriors PC ports, has some major issues with controllers sometimes. From randomly having terrible default bindings that you can only fix by going in, manually removing all the bindings via keyboard, and remapping, to having some INCREDIBLE issues with analog deadzones and diagonal movement, and weird issues like bindings not being applied consistently in menus. I dunno if patches have helped fix this any since I last played it in 2018, but that was still over three years after it's release so I have my doubts.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zore posted:

So assuming I was a huge fan of Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and One Piece Warriors 3 what's another good entry I can try? I'm open to most settings though I will say I bounced pretty hard off of DW8 Legends because it felt really still and awkward compared to the other games I played.

Warriors Orochi 3, especially Ultimate, is probably the single best entry in the franchise, although it uses Dynasty and Samurai Warriors as it's 'core' so if you didn't like DW8 you might wanna give it a taste first.

Other then that, I dunno, you've sampled most of the best of the franchise not tied to Dynasty or Samurai Warriors (as well as Band of the Hawk) so it's tricky to name another game on par with them- WO4 is a definite downgrade from WO3, even with the new update, I've heard the same about PW4 although I haven't played it yet, and I have a hard time recommending Gundam to anyone who isn't already a fan of Gundam unlike PW or Hyrule Warriors because the Gundam games are REALLY basic. Maybe try Samurai Warriors 4/4-2? it's the closest series in 'lineage'' to Dynasty Warriors but the series kinda took a hard right turn starting with 3 so maybe it's different combo and Musou system on top of the general faster pace might entice you more.

I guess All Stars is there too. It exists. I thought it was better then Band of the Hawk for what it's worth, so maybe it's worth a look. If nothing else, it sure is an... odd duck compared to the rest of the franchise.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Maleketh posted:

It's a definite improvement over the base game, though still not as good as 3 Ultimate. I thought it was worth the money, but I could other people not agreeing.

It's a rather slim update, all things considered, although part of it is WO3U is actually like the second or third update to WO3- this is much closer to what WO3 Hyper was to WO3. It mostly either adds stuff that should have been in the base game (particularly, a lot of the quality of life improvements it brought forward from WO3U) or changes up the balance so that magic doesn't completely trivialize everything (it just trivializes most things) or that the Dynasty Warriors characters aren't so far behind everyone else when it comes to earning S-ranks due to lacking Hyper Attacks or massive room-filling bullshit outside of large-combo magic.

The additions are not nearly as fleshed out as WO3U's either- one new chapter that's ok (entirely pulled from old maps- not a single original map to be found in WO4U's new roster) and Infinite Mode which is... eeeh? It's ok. The time limit balance is very wacky considering some of the things it asks you to do and how much space you might have to cover to do it, but it's probably not much worse overall then Gauntlet Mode. It's not really worth the $40 they're asking for as an update to WO4 and I'd wait for a sale or just skip.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Were there any big changes to rank/minibosses in HW:definitive vs the originals? Basically I really disliked the slogs of the minibosses in the original release, and also the 1 hit adventure maps.

Nope. The Giant Monsters are still the worst part of the game, and while I think the Adventure Maps have had stuff scrambled a bit, all the old types of stuff are still in there, including the one-hit maps.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

isnt 5'7" like a loving goliath in 200 a.d. because malnourished peasants are lucky to hit 4'6"

I'm pretty sure that still puts her as either the second or third biggest female character (after Zhu Rong and maybe Wang Yi) as well as taller then a significant portion of the male cast.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 20, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to play more Ambition mode because why not. I had seen people say to max out the Training Grounds and Academy, but both seem worthless. Even at level 41 on the Training Grounds the character I had there didn't gain even a single level after doing 14 battles in a row (and they were level 40 so it's not like they needed a ton of exp to level), and the experience increases are tiny for how much gold they charge at the academy.

I'm also missing a lot of 1-3 gold star weapons. I know they really don't matter, especially since this is the Switch version so there's no trophies (and you don't even need a full gallery to get the achievement for that anyway) but it still sucks seeing the blank spot on the axes.

It also seems like bonds don't grow with officers unless you set them as bodyguards, which requires grinding out feats to be able to set them due to the fee. That's really lame.

I still maintain that Ambition mode is poo poo compared to Conquest from 7.

Ambition mode is by far the more fun mode to kick back and chill and just do poo poo in. I dunno who told you to max Training Grounds, the priority should be the Barracks and the Stables since those are major sources of gold and materials. Training Grounds is more for leveling up under/unleveled characters- someone near the character you're taking out isn't going to see much in the way of gains but someone much lower will gain several levels from a chain.

You're trying to min-max and 100% it and that's where you're suffering- if you're not having fun just plowing through some missions, coming in and checking on progress and netting a few upgrades then heading back out but actually trying to grind out specific poo poo life's gonna suck and you should just move on to something else.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'd guess P5 Scramble was always coming, just being translated in Atlus Time instead of getting a close-to-worldwide release like Age of Calamity. Or maybe it's the first wave of Sega's bigger push toward the worldwide PC market (reminder- P4 Golden PC was a ridiculous success for a fairly low-effort/cost port job) since the PC worldwide release is the same day the Switch and PS4 overseas release is. Considering how close the releases are, I doubt AoC's success or lack of it is weighing on P5 Scramble's worldwide release either way.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
7XL is the proper 'new era' retelling of the Three Kingdoms story. It's the game that hits all the big beats you expect, with the role of the three kingdoms being shifted to more neutral stances then the classic Shu Good-Wei Bad-Wu Stupid from the Rot3K novel/earlier DW games. Wei's driven by a vision of order and stability, Shu's driven by a desire for virtue, Wu's driven by a wish for peace, etc. It makes a good re-introduction to the setting, as well as getting a handle on the direction the kingdoms follow in their post-7 appearances.

8XL is the 'stories untold' edition of that. Wei's campaign starts of In Media Res of Cao Cao, Xiahou Dun, and Xiahou Yuan comedy-trio style fleeing the imperial court of Dong Zhuo with half his army and almost all of his named officers after them and that sets the tone for the kind of moments to expect from 8XL's campaigns. Some of the big, big beats you get in every DW game like Chi Bi get revisited, especially if one of the new characters has a reason to be present at it, but there's also a lot of battles that show up for the first time in 8 and 8XL and are alternatingly interesting and played off almost kind of irreverently.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kin posted:

I picked up Orochi 4 during the Steam sale and after reading about it went and picked up Orochi 3 on the PS4 too. Should i play through 3 before 4 or are they independent enough that it wont matter?

I've been jumping into both simultaneously at the minute depending on whether i've managed to snag time on the TV in the living room for the PS4.

Also, it turns out that i picked up DW8XL on the PS4 ages back but didn't really play it as i bounced off of the story. IIRC there were just all of these named characters doing stuff but it felt like i was dropped into the middle of a story i was expected to know about beforehand and that the game was a highlight reel of it. I might be mixing it up with another game in the franchise though.

Is there something i should read or do to get more into it if it's such a good game?

edit: Note, my intro into the Warriors franchise was Hyrule warriors and i've damned near 100%'d that for each version that was released (WiiU/3DSXL/Switch), so i do like this type of game.

They're... independent enough. The Orochi games tell basically a bunch of self-contained side stories centered around events pulling worlds together. 3 is technically the last game in one arc while 4 is kind of a 'plot reset' in a lot of ways, but neither are particularly important to know what came before except-

For 3- This isn't the first time someone pulled this stunt, and a lot of folks are already Tired of This poo poo- Orochi being up to no good, not being pulled together having to fight in this mashed up universe since everyone is unironically LOVING the poo poo out of that once you get past what happens in the prologue and just get down to hanging with their buddies from another world doin' Advance Wars-style The Fun War against heaven, hell, and sometimes each other one more time. The big change from the last time is Orochi's supposedly dead as poo poo but... well, prologue. Just about everything else important you need to know can generally be summed up in one sentence and will generally be delivered by someone when it becomes relevant.

For 4- Just kinda gotta know that these characters have been through this before, even if nobody remembers it for a long while due to plot.

I will say that Orochi 3 is a contender for my favorite game in the series, while Orochi 4 was pretty mediocre and gimmicky, so if you think you might only want to sink time into one, I'd go with 3.

As for DW8, the post directly above yours gets into what it is. Short answer- DW8 is basically the companion piece to DW7, which was a soft reset of the franchise and is probably the entry point I'd suggest for new players, especially ones not familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms since it's the big Dynasty Warriors version of the core events while DW8 mostly plays in spaces DW7 didn't go and generally doesn't fill in a lot of context. The ultimate context for all this is, of course, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, one of the Four Classics of Chinese Literature, but to be fair at this point Dynasty Warriors is a long, long way from it's source in most aspects, especially in how it portrays the kingdoms themselves.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I want to like AoC, but my hearts of hearts is telling me that it's not so much an expansion on the Hyrule/Pirate Warriors formula as it is the heir apparent to the Gundam games- a flashy, fanservice-packed brawler that's ultimately lacking any substance whatsoever- fun for a bit but way too goddamn shallow to want to sink time into unless you're really, really invested in the franchise involved, except instead of drawing from decades of franchise history like the Gundam titles it's a psuedo-follow up to one game so that charm wears off way, way faster.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Counterpoint: I really enjoyed AoC and instead you basically just described the most recent pirate warriors.

Might be. I haven't played PW4. Suck if this was the way most of the recent Warriors games have been going. Orochi 4 wasn't any great shakes either, although at least that's more just that combat is incredibly broken and anything they WANT to try and throw at the player is just laughably ineffective.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nah, ya'll remember right. He eats the eye in a few games but they use his one-eye model for everything before 7 so you basically just see him pluck an arrow out of his eye patch.

I want to say the first time I remember it is Lu Bu's campaign in 3XL, but I could be wrong
I know he definitely does in 5, at least. It usually shows up whenever the battle at Xia Pi does, although that one doesn't make every game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

Actually yeah, rewatched, in 4 he does make the motion, but not in 4XL which is odd. In 5 I don't see it(outside Dun looking away from where the enemies actually are to get shot.) Bonus stupid points for 9 where he resumes what he was doing in staring down arrow fire after losing an eye, making no move to take cover or prevent getting shot again.

Although unrelated I do like the little badass moment Yuan gets shooting the guy bragging in 8 nonchalantly. Xiahou Yuan probably a low-key darkhorse favorite character of mine.

Xiahou Yuan has had a ride in Dynasty Warriors, hasn't he? He's gone from the boisterous blowhard who's only marquee moment is getting styled on by an old man to basically being the warm goofy dad of the Wei faction up until his death who's still badass enough to do the feats of his peers but draws attention instead in those moments to his relationship with his fellows.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morter posted:

Cross posting from the Switch thread because :laffo: at them ever talking about games.

Joke's on you; nobody talks about games here, either!

(But seriously, I've never played the Switch port but from everything I've heard, it seems to keep up with the PS3/Xbox 360 versions in terms of enemy counts with better but still VERY variable framerates. If you've had a good enough PC that the PC Port has spoiled you in terms of enemy numbers and framerate, it might be jarring to go back to what's basically a last-gen port of 8XL.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morter posted:

That's the weird thing: Many reviews say "PS3" this and that for the PC port of DW8XLCE but the smooth framerate alone has blown me away.

I mean, as long as it doesn't get as choppy as, say, Age of Calamity (sorry), I'll be fine with it.

I mean, 8XL PC had some issues at launch, including performance in lower-end systems, but that was also in 2014. I'm not saying even a potato can run DW8XL flawlessly, but my Win Max can run it at 40-60 FPS in lowered TPD Mode and can keep 60 in all but the most visually busy stages like Chi Bi when running at normal settings (in layman's terms- a handheld miniputer can keep a good framerate when running at low power and can crush it at regular) at 1280x768 so I assume jut about any modern gaming-adjacent PC can do 60 FPS with zero issue now.

A lot of folks were also disappointed back in the day that the PC ports of a lot of Koei's games of the era were using the PS3/X360 versions of the games as their visual base and not the spiffier PS4/XBone versions. DW8, PW3, and SW4 and 4-2 at least all do this.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

is 8 the best version that is a "real" dynasty warriors game and not a major departure? SW4 was the last game i played that I was genuinely happy with in terms of the game's systems and how it played
PC preferred but ps4/ps5 is fine.

Warriors Orochi 3 is, but 8's pretty well up there. It's definitely the best of the main Dynasty Warriors titles in everything except specifically Story Campaign (that goes to 7.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It just seems like the entire latest batch of Musou titles that haven't been directly expanded from a previous entry have been varying levels of disappointing. DW9, WO4, PW4, AoC are all some pretty heavy missteps from the previous entries in their series (all of which are some of the most beloved Musou games) from WO4's boring, undercooked combat to AoC's non-existant stage design and performance issues to DW9's... everything. Which makes me really, really gunshy on SW5 unless they're very visibly making some changes in their recent direction. I hear P5S is very good but it's also had a much longer development cycle and another company's hands firmly holding the reigns so who knows if it's a course correction or just a fluke in the lame Musou era we're passing through right now.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zore posted:

P5S isn't really a Musou game. Its a P5 Dungeon crawler but where you'd trigger a turn based battle it drops you in to a small scale action encounter with Musou controls.

Like there's literally no stage poo poo at all since you're doing standard Persona 5 dungeons with the sneaking and puzzles etc

That actually sounds kinda rad, depending on how interesting the individual monsters are to fight then. Not exactly Musou's strong point, individual engagements, but P5's dungeons were pretty cool outside the last one of the base game going on for about half again as long as it had to with the same gimmick the whole way so I can see how it could be fun if the individual fights are at least well enough designed to keep interest.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I played a bit of P5 Strikers a bit ago and yeah, anyone looking for standard musou fare will probably be disappointed. There's a short tutorial battle after the intro cutscene and after that it's basically a lot like a Persona game, real long scenes of characters sitting around and talking. This isn't a bad thing if you're into that (I am) but for people who just want to fight some dudes with very little story in between, this is not that.

I didn't play Persona 5 so I don't know any of the characters but so far aside from them referencing the "Change of Hearts incident" (which is pretty obviously "the stuff that happened in Persona 5") it doesn't seem like the game expects you to know that much from the game. Except that the cops apparently know Joker's real identity? They mention the Phantom Thieves during the meeting and talk about investigating the leader for the new incident and they show a picture of him without a mask so I can only assume they know who he is.

Futaba seems fun, Ryuji is a cool guy so far, I want to get to know more of art fanboy, and the other two haven't made any sort of impression on me yet. Also the cat apparently is a real cat during the day or at least when they're not doing Persona shenanigans. I don't know if the cat has a Koromaru thing or a Teddie thing going on yet.

Yeah, some stuff goes down- Persona 5 opens with a heist gone wrong and Joker getting caught by the police, an event that actually happens fairly far into the game's actual story as most of it is being 'retold' through the player's memories during interrogation. The cat is a real cat in the normal world and a cartoon cat in the Metaverse- it's more of a Teddie thing but it's also much more of it's own thing that's loosely tied to the game's last mystery.

Yeah, that sounds like a Persona game with a different battle system- not really gonna scratch that Musou itch, but cool it's getting to be it's own thing then.

BlazetheInferno posted:

loving Archer-obsessed maniac, he was. Christ.

Sun Quan was a jackass, but for me peak archer bullshit is always going to be the halls and central courtyard on He Fei Castle vs Wei. People think Zhuge Liang a tactical genius for his love of having people set stuff on fire, but Sima Yi's Archer and Trap Funhouse might be the most devastating military tactic seen during the Three Kingdom's era.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Game looks infinitely better on PS4 than this. Did the PC version use the Switch port as its base?

Likely the case- Koei has had a long-running habit of using the lowest-available SKU as the basis for their PC ports. That said, I found that the situation gets much, much better when turning up the render scale- at 2x everything looks much cleaner then Jack's screenshot in my experience (admittingly only in the first Jail so far.) I'm not sure what kind of performance hit the game takes when you do that but I've been swapping off an on between my desktop fully-maxed and my Win Max at 30 FPS/Low/1.5x render and it's been rock solid so far at the latter so I'd assume most relatively modern gaming-adjacent computers could pull it off.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Fyi, in that screenshot my settings do have 200% resolution turned on.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if that setting is broken.

Might also be a graphics card setting I've forgotten about. I mostly use game settings by default and only override it on the card itself when poo poo's broke but I changed a bunch of stuff to be just card-regulated in the past when I switched from nVidia's default software so maybe my card's picking up Koei's slack here. I believe your screenshot, cause that's what it looks like on the handheld ... just with AA off and lower scaling/resolution.

I'll take a look when I'm off work and see what's handling what. This might just be a case of Koei's own settings being borked- again- and needing to just setting your video card to override it's nonsense.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, for the PC version I would definitely set a profile in your video card settings for P5S- I have a setting on that uses the card's settings for AA if the program's own AA is below a certain quality and P5S definitely qualifies. Turn off P5S's AA and use your video card's settings instead.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, I feel you, Persona 5 Strikers.

I set the game to Hard not thinking much about it cause Warriors game and Persona game and the finale of the second day of the first dungeon promptly handed me my rear end between the Prostitute's huge melee attacks and Brainjack whirlwind that basically mulches any character caught in it if you don't IMMEDIATELY cancel it with an Electric or Bless attack followed right after by the Protector with the massive homing light attacks you gotta bait out and large spawns including MORE succubi who've proven to be the most dangerous normal enemy by leagues between large AoE melee attacks and smacking you with Marin Karin outta nowhere if you aren't keeping desperate track of them, causing you to get nuked by said homing light attacks.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting the game to pull that without putting a checkpoint in-between because the game has been super-generous with them and I did it the second time by playing spoiler in the first fight with Morgana holding Garu to cancel the worst of the nonsense followed by using Haru's held spin attack to be able to attack while moving in a large area to chop down the succubi while dodging the second boss' attacks. That level of planning is... something I don't think I've expected to need from a game using a Musou-style combat system and I'm kinda down for it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Um... Spirit of Sanada? I'd definitely skip the entire current generation- DW9, WO4, PW4- from the sounds of it.