Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Please Koei Tecmo absorb whoever makes Battride Wars so those games can actually be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

Sorry, Bandai Namco makes those sooooooo

Then Bamco should just make them good themselves.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kondai Tecco

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DQH doesn't play around with its "defend the X" maps. If you gently caress around even a bit you can easily lose before you can make it back to defend in time.

Gotta attune to the fast travel rocks!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What the gently caress, Square-Enix?

http://dragonquest-game.com/heroes/#disclaimer

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

PureRok posted:

What are we looking at here?

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that this has something to do with Dragon Quest's composer being part of some lovely Japanese organization which cracks down on this kinda stuff.

It's mainly this.

Squeenix is keeping a very very tight hold on what you can show of the game online. You can only use certain services. You can't put any DQH footage behind a pay wall. Etc. It's Nintendo levels of not getting it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Is that even legal? I was under the impression that gameplay footage was fair use, and Square-Enix can't say boo about it?

They constantly mention the music specifically, so I think they're using that as grounds to do it. There's even a notice on the title screen about it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I would like all of the characters from all of the Musou games in a single game (yes gundams too) :getin:

I would also like Warriors Warriors very much.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't that just Orochi?

Orochi doesn't have all the IP characters too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sonic Musou with every terrible side character from the series ever.

Yes please. Also make it a direct sequel to Sonic 06 somehow.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Oh, hey look. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII Power-Up Kit

CTRL+F = "Good officer gameplay" not found

Is RotK13 bad? I haven't played it yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

RotK 13 is a Ruler-based game pretending to be an Officer-based one. There's very little freedom in being an officer, nothing like the plethora of content you could find in 10. There's no open world exploration, the quest system feels so much worse and relies entirely on random chance to even find one, you can't do any kind of city building work as a free officer, and once you're an officer you're just watching circles fill and occasionally talking to someone. Being an officer instead of a ruler means that likely the best position you'll ever reach is Viceroy, and the AI is determined to avoid doing any kind of actual work so it mostly forces you to manage almost all of your Ruler's lands. It eventually reached the point where I'd attack a city with the other district and pull all my soldiers before the city was taken so the AI was forced to control the city.

Wow. I guess I'll skip that one completely.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Super hype for Musou Stars.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you even play these games

Nobody who says they're all the same has played the games first hand recently or ever.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Tricky. As the system tends to sway back and forth between 'changing things up' and returning to what the fans claim they enjoyed, whilst still advancing(to an extent) everything else. Currently the system can be regarded as in a mess, as battlefield control is the hardest it's ever been; the Morale system being too harsh, and you can't reduce the enemy's or raise yours appreciably since the kill bonuses have vanished. It really does become 'you vs everyone'-your allies have lost their power. Your only choice is the objectives. Not that the old 8-star system was anywhere near perfect.

The games have only appeared to be 'kill everything'. Generally, it's(After 'survive!') killing the right people in the right places(Normal troops too) to bring more dangerous generals under control, or fulfilling tasks that will also drop enemies to 'killable' and thus allowing everyone else to do what they're doing. While the movesets have become more and more powerful, with vast ranges on normals and far less risky charge attacks, the lesser troops have become far less dangerous since they stopped using playable movesets(Recall that Lu Meng WAS the Generic Pike moveset as the most obvious example), existing only to die in numbers and not even benefit you most of the time. This was not always the case. The differences in enemy action at higher morale vs lower morale were startling, and even under normal circumstances were capable of more in terms of offence(Though they often didn't).

Combat, though always simple(In the same way that Final Fight or Streets of Rage is 'simple') has become a lot less risky than it used to be.

...I'm sorry, I've just come off a bout of DW3, so it's turned into half-reminiscing. I am aware of the nostalgia goggles, here; You play DW8, or 8 Empires, then go directly to DW3, it's night and day.

In terms of combat, it's finding what works, then utilising it. Like 'Jump attacks are stupid fast and will beat a lot of things and knock down'. 'X character's C3 is a Stun'. 'Y character's C3 moves him far' 'Da Qiao can use her Jump Charge and the Dash Skill to fly across the battlefield'. 'Zhang He has very good aerial moves, so he wants to launch people often, but follow up with a normal jump, not the auto-follow up'.

Of course, getting a good item set is always the real issue. How to put it....in the old days, items were rando-loot and often uncommon. There is a VERY GOOD REASON why in 8 Empires, the Peacock Urn(+Health), Tiger Amulet(+Attack), Tortoise Amulet(+Defence), and Scroll of Alacrity(+Movement Speed) are default purchases, buyable at any time no matter what. They were and are the holy quadrilogy in terms of making your character do better both in the early stages and later on.

Game by game would be difficult for me to say, as my familiarity is limited.

From DW3 to 4; Kingdom play over character play(And even letting people like Yuan Shao and the Yellow Turbans get in on the act), with multiple stages to unlock, and differences within a stage set, based on what you did and didn't do(Both in the sense of 'what stages you play or didn't' and 'actions within the stage'. Easy examples: Kill Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang, and they don't show up in the last Yellow Turban stage. Dong Zhuo could turn up many stages later with an entire stage devoted to it if he survives Hu Lao Gate. Lu Bu could survive Xia Pi, and he'd keep turning up in Wei's later stages), bodyguards and a proper levelling system for them(Even allowing them Elemental attacks if you did it right), no rando-drop weapons(Instead you levelled them up by both killing officers and doing combos, giving combos more of a point), more tasks and events, balancing AI officers by making it so they could only buff up after a knockdown rather than whenever they wished(Wasn't always the heal, either; now they could get attack and defence buffs too), gates for normal troops actually switching sides rather than just being shut, Gate Captains no longer dropping defence/attack ups(I think it was health now?), Create-an-Officer, throws as Charge Attacks, counter-attacking, dueling, and even the fringes of a affection system(very odd system; You fought alongside people as you did various things in Musou and Free mode, you got friendship up invisibly. Attacking them brought it down. If there was room on the battlefield for them(They counted as a completely new general unit), and you got low on health, they MIGHT show up unexpectedly on the battlefield to save your rear end. I forget if a rival would show up if they hated you sufficiently). Also different characters having different amounts of item slots and having to level up to get more, which wasn't so great. Like warriors would start with only 1 and get up to 4, and less powerful characters getting 3-6 as they advanced. Many were in the middle, with 2-5. Create-a-characters always got 2-5, I think. Which meant a create-a-character with Ma Chao's moveset would be better than the actual Ma Chao, because he had the 1-4 slot growth.

DW4 to DW5; Experiments with Bases, providing various minor benefits and another way to heal-supply bases-though not always reliable), bodyguards changed up again(Instead of a small troop, they're now singular mini-generals), Musou Rage(Super Mode requiring a specific pickup), 'Evolution' attack(Only on 6-hit weapons-yes, we're back to rando-drop. Take your normal string from 6 hits to 9, only with a full Musou gauge-another reason to perhaps keep your gauge full rather than spend it. The extra attacks had no charge attacks associated with them). Experiments with differing properties of weapons; aside from elements, they could also have weight. 'Heavy' weapons were slower and did more damage, 'light' weapons were the opposite. Oh, and we're back to character based story modes. Big increase in troops about and draw distance(I think?), also.

DW5-DW6: Everyone remembers Renbu. What they forget was the base system from here has been the basis of Empires games since. Bases with numbers of troops that need claiming. Consistent and reliable places to retreat and heal, if necessary, since all allied bases spawned healing items(Though to be fair, DW4 Empires was doing this; it just made it into mainline fully now). Bodyguards have gone, in place was levelling up your horse, also meaning everyone had access to that little extra mobility almost from the off. As the battlefields seem to be far more expansive, one could say it was needed. I think it was now that 'rescuing' officers recovered their health also came in. Actually being able to attack gates and things directly. Ladders. Story modes are still character-based.(This particular rundown is on 'observation' rather than 'owning the game').

DW8: Many weapons made their return; I forget whether it was 6 or 7 that had the Great Weapons Purge, where most of the weapons got chucked, in favour of having less weapons, and shared weapons, but having unique 'EX' moves to differentiate people. They kept the EX system, also. We're back to Kingdom Play, after a while without it. Also with multiple routes, if you do the right things. Ambition Mode...isn't new. As I understand it, DW7 had something similar. Multiple weapons to equip, and Switch Counters. I imagine these were from earlier too.

...Perhaps this is too many words on the subject. I've probably bored you.

This is a really good post and makes me want to do some sort of DW retrospective to definitively show what has changed from game to game. That would probably be a fun long-ish term project.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sefal posted:

I would love to read that.

It would probably be a video series of some sort.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I got Pirate Warriors 3 in the sale and that game is real good so far. Only up to Arlong Park so far, though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm gonna be doing a Musou retrospective video series but I've somehow avoided the Xtreme expansion things. How much content do they add exactly? I'm trying to determine if they should get their own videos when I get to those games that have them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ok. So I'll do their own video then. Thanks all. It'll be a while till I get there anyway, but I wanted to be sure.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I would call PW3 a must play, but he owns that one already.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

but also don't buy and play too many musou games in a row

you're not my real mom! i'm gonna play them all and play them all in order for scientific purposes and i'm gonna like it, drat it!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So I've started a very ill-advised quest to play and review the vast majority of the Dynasty Warriors games.

Here is my first video giving a bit of history and my mission statement.

I hope y'all enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHZrGiY44A

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I at least have the good judgement to take my time instead of trying to power through and burning out immediately.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I just want Hyrule Warriors Legends ported to Switch, personally.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Power ranger warriors

nope. this would be bandai putting out another lackluster one ala battride wars

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sailor Moon Warriors is like the only one besides Jump Warriors that I'd be interested in of the poo poo y'all throwing out there.

SMW would be dope.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm probably gonna get drat close to 100% in the games for my video series if not 100 straight up. Haven't started it yet, but I'm kinda scared of DW2.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Any particular reason? I mean other than the fact that DW2 now plays, sounds and looks like some sort of alpha/proof-of-concept for DW3, and having to go through 28 Musou modes with characters that never really improve outside of their raw stats from start to finish with no weapon upgrades or items is a terrifying prospect? :smith:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of DW2 these days, although I'm incredibly grateful for it existing and kickstarting this whole ridiculous genre.

Because of the proof-of-concept thing and that I'v heard it's pretty unforgiving and also clunky at times.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I finally finished the episode of my DW retrospective on the first game. Check it out if you're so inclined. It's a neat game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmHMhspTkc

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Interesting and surprising. Thought you'd forgotten about it.

Nope, my end of year just got busy so I didn't have a lot of time to work on it. Plus grinding through to get everything was mind numbing so I had trouble doing it in long sessions.

Hopefully DW2 won't take as long to assess and record and poo poo.

Skwirl posted:

I had no clue it started as a fighter.

Yeah! It's weird! I kinda want a Sangoku Musou 2 to see what 2018 Omega Force would do with it. Also to see what they would name it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I had no idea it looked like Tekken 3 until I heard that from multiple people today. (I've never seen Tekken 3.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The mouse can't be used for anything at all in any Koei game that isn't Nioh and maybe RoTK13, afaik.

Nobunaga's Ambition, also.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm enjoying dw9 so far...

e: 2 hours in though...this game is rooooough.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 15, 2018

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've actually warmed up to it the more I play. It's not awful imo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So, what, Koromaru and no one else?

and what's the issue with this?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

They're not even the real poo poo. It's the archers that are the real fuckers.

Man I'm gonna commit to getting that loving video out this month. I have so many thoughts on dw3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The first appearance of archers & crossbowmen in DW3 introduces such a danger/difficulty spike that it's impossible to not be traumatised by them.

they were assholes in 2 as well