Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The one in Orochi 2 PSP was pretty fun to me. And people seem to be enjoying Hyper's versus mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

That's why I'm super excited for Dynasty Warriors 8 putting a huge focus on Jin, because the cast list for the kingdom was an all-time favorite for me and I'd love to see more of it. The Simas are my favorite characters in DW now because of Jin. Whether it's good ol' Sima Yi laughing as he nukes dudes, Sima Shi channeling Lelouch Lamperouge, or Sima Zhao's soldier surfboard, I'm totally down for more Sima family antics.

Echoing the love for Jin's characters. My personal favorite has to be Deng Ai, because his look makes him stand out compared the the rest of Jin, and his personality is so grounded and and makes sense. Where everyone else just pulls crazy strategies out of their rear end, almost all the scenes where he is planning has him looking over maps and consulting others. In all honesty he feels like he could be the protagonist of a less completely out there game. I guess if I want to be cheeky and lame I could just say he's so ordinary it makes him extraordinary.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Selane posted:

Sun Quan: Will Never Be A Real Character

You shut your mouth. :mad:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Imagine if they included Nobunyaga in a Warriors Orochi game. :allears:

I still wish we could have seen characters from the Anime Warriors games in there just because. Just have the coalition trying to fight a Gundam or something. Or just Lu Bu.

I just want Lu Bu in every Warriors game. Have him in Gundam has himself just shearing off Gundams by their ankles with his halberd.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm pretty sure "Video games made him do it" just makes people roll their eyes more than anything else.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Someone ask D&D their stance on Drill Lances and Siege Spears.

But seriously in like a month nobody will remember the name of the game. Or they will and then someone like Fox News will try to show off the "Disturbing Gameplay". :v:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Belzac posted:

Got a 3DS for Christmas so I just picked up Samurai Warriors Chronicles. Any advice going into it?

Remember to switch characters often when you get multiple objectives popping up. Also, give your character all the good stuff you find and just auto equip everyone else and deequip after every battle, since the only constant ally in the early going is Ujiyasu.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I hope this means we get Sima Yan, or even if we don't at least have a level where the overthrow of Wei is playable. It was way too much of a cocktease when right after 7 ended it went "Oh yeah, Zhao's son started Jin right after all that junk you just did ended. But eh who needs to really see that?"

EDIT: And looks like they are still decloning the swords, with Zhao's being one that shoots shockwaves you can direct with different attacks. So looks like the only sword user without a new gimmick is Sun Quan. Of course. :smith:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 19, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't think they'd make another Warriors Orochi until they make Samurai Warriors 4.

I'm not sure how they'd make another one at all, to be honest, the ending of WO3 literally destroyed that entire setting.

They'd just pick the middle ending and just say something like "Orochi's spirit is still out there!" or something. Or just make another crossover setting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Thievery posted:

I just saw that DW8 trailer, and this is the best bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCypisQFzE&t=177s

As far as these style of games go, I played DW7 a year or two ago but haven't touched any other games since, or anything outside of the main franchise. What would be a good game to get to tide me over, since it's christmas and I haven't bought myself a present yet? I've heard good things about Warriors Orochi 3, I think it was.

Warriors Orochi 3 is a good one, since it pulls together both Dynasty and Samurai Warriors characters into a fun package, and it let's you get a feel for the SW games since the characters control differently. In my opinion it's the best pure Koei Warriors game made.

Another good one that's coming out in February is DW7: Empires, which has a strategic and political aspect, as well as a character creator.

And one that's older and I haven't played but everyone else here loves is Samurai Warriors 2, either vanilla or Empires depending on want story or deeper mechanics. Just remember that SW works a touch differently from DW.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

So I picked up a PS3 recently (credit for the sale goes to Okami HD :swoon:) and I now want to take a crack at the Empires demo, but I can't find it on Playstation Store :(

Unless some rear end in a top hat didn't tell me something, it's only in the JP store, and there I have no clue how it goes.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Actually I think that's a double headed spear. It has two ends and is too long to be the Pike.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Looking at screens, the head is similar but that thing is definitely double ended.

EDIT: Looking around, it looks like it's actually his weapon from Strikeforce 2:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 29, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

And Liu Shan is less "He totally wasn't that bad guys!" and more "He knows he's poo poo so he sits and let's the people who weren't spiked like a football as a baby do their jobs."

Edit: THat is my favorite Liu Shan RotTK fact by the way:

quote:

Moved by his retainer's loyalty, Liu Bei angrily threw his infant son to the ground. He blamed the crying child for nearly killing one of his greatest retainers. Many readers remark that the crushing blow may have caused Liu Shan's ineptitude.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 3, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Zhao gets better once he starts taking after his father.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I don't know, I felt once they got to a higher level, the SW characters were way more fun to play as since they often had more variety in their attacks compared to the mostly cloned DW cast. Even the DW characters that got decloned just for WO3 (Xiahou Yuan, Jiang Wei, and Sima Shi are the ones off the top of my head that got major revamps to their charges and moveset) for the most part just feel too close to the base set.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

So I'm completely new to the series, I'm just finishing off the Jin campaign at the moment in DW7 (and absolutely loving the game). Wu are awesome, Sun Jian is awesome and bites it way too soon. What's the difference between Dynasty Warriors 7 and Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires? Is Empires a separate game or is it an expansion pack like Extreme Legends?

Empires is an expansion, but it's pretty much a separate game that drops the standard story in favor of a Risk type mode that's more political and strategically driven. And it's more focused on customization and created characters.

Jibo posted:

The magical land of benevolence won't permit this. Instead, Ma Dai runs to his rescue and they bro it out throughout a couple of XL missions.

At least in Ma Dai's Hero mode in XL they have the courtesy to show he's up to something strange before the cutscene ends.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 6, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

If you have that strong of feelings about zombies either way, you probably need to sit and have a good long think about your life and priorities leading up to this moment.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Han Dang gets the short pike, while Yuan Shao has been decloned with something called the Stretch Rapier.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

How could you post that and not the best accessory?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Chachi posted:

This talk about Zhang Liao just made me think of something: Do we know what weapon Pang De is going to be using going forward? I was pretty disappointed by the club in Orochi 3, mostly because it lacked his incredible second musou from 7XL. That cavalry charge :allears:

EDIT: Also he kind of did have the whole twin axes / halberds thing first.

His Cavalry Charge is back in Empires, and the Mace is his EX in that game, and since no one else is sharing the moveset I'm guessing he's locked into it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

WO3 dropped for $40 so I'm guessing it will be in that neighborhood.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Belzac posted:

I'm pretty sure this is identical to his appearnce in the opening for Empires. He's wearing a hood in that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKem7VxvN8o

I remember reading something by KT Europe's community manager that since 8 and 7: Empires were in development together, they decided to give Xu Shu his debut early since they finished up with him.

Fake Edit: Here it is https://twitter.com/RidentFFXI/status/291844657405624320 the KT rep is Chin Soon Sun.

Real edit: Oh wow dudes kinda a creep.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a PC, but not a 360 or PS3 currently. 6 is the newest Dynasty Warriors I can get if I want it in English, correct? I'm doing a term paper on the Three Kingdoms period as represented in video games(teacher's idea, not mine, shockingly) for an Ancient Chinese History course I'm in, so I want to play the most recent one I can. Also any other suggestions on PC, Wii or PS2 Three Kingdoms themed games would be appreciated, I'm already including RotTK XI and Sango Fighter.

DW6 is on the PS2 too and has a few more story modes, but actually playing it is a mess of slowdown from what I've read. Outside of that, I'm not too sure what else is out there. DW5 or 4 if you can find them would be pretty good for PS2.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Belzac posted:

The problem with 6 is that it's a bad game. You can still use it for your paper but you won't have any fun playing it. If you want to go full out wacky see if you can find a copy of Kessan 2 somewhere. The depiciton of the Three Kingdoms era in that game is so off the wall your brain will hurt.

gently caress, I forgot that game even existed. I remember seeing videos of it and trying to piece together how any of this stuff fits together.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Raserys posted:

Oh Sun Jian, I knew there was a reason I loved you. :allears:

I love Jian but I hope they keep developing Quan instead of throwing him to the wayside whenever Ce and Jian are around.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

To be fair, pretty sure Han Dang makes up for most of the pretty boys:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

In all honesty I hope the Dynasty Warriors series ends at 9 and then we move on to Warriors of the Eight Princes, because with Jin in and Jia Chong now being introduced, there's only so long they can hold off on pulling the trigger on Sima Yan ending everything and Jia Nanfeng coming in and touching off the next conflict.

Then again, we went 6 installments before they actually brought in the guys who ended this poo poo so who knows when we'll see that? :v:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I dunno it kinda felt like it just creeped up on me all of a sudden. Like I took a look around and realized like 9/10ths of Jin look like they belong on Ancient Chinese Vogue and like some dudes are reciting poetry and I'm now just realizing holy poo poo what is Zhang He going to do if Koei suddenly decides to transform Han Dang into like a 20 something silk-wearing Confucian poet.

Have him dance and prance around like usual? :confused: As pretty as everyone gets no one else actually behaves like Zhang He does. It's still a pretty distinctive character trait.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I guess you're right about that, although now that you mention it after DW7 I wouldn't mind seeing Xiahou Yuan dance. That was funny as hell.

I really hope we get more interactions between those two, because they really were hilarious together. And since they're fleshing out Jin more they should give us more interaction between the Jin cast and Wei, mostly because things like Guo Huai's admiration for Yuan and Deng Ai's loyalty to Sima Yi sort of ring hollow when they don't really interact.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Man, I would complain about Huang Gai getting a Brainbuster instead a more gonzo wrestling move, but then I remember that his second Musou is the Kinniku Buster and that makes up for everything.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires site updated today, detailing Extra mode with online Co-op and CAW uploading. Also, most of the sections with screenshots explaining things now are using the translated screens.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Thanks for the purchasing advice, everyone who recommended DW7. This game is great and the intro video is the single least sane cutscene I have ever witnessed.

He kills a whole battalion by kicking a horse in the face and then skates down a waterfall while throwing a baby. I mean god drat.

I am still upset that there isn't a dedicated horse face kick button. Would have made fighting Calvary easier.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

TecmoKoei Europe's twitter tweeted a series of screenshots of a play through of DW7Empires showing off the creation screen and a few other screens: https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

5er posted:

I also noticed through DW7 that Zhang Fei was the first and most frequent to suggest going out and getting drinks. Progress?

I think one of his Legendary battles has him having to take back a castle after losing it due to being passed out drunk in a side room.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'

Only one of the missions was a party, the other one was him and Shuten Doji ambushing random officers for their foodstuffs and wine to get ready for a party, and right after you finish the inevitable "Everyone shows up again to beat your rear end for being a dick" fight and the mission ends, Xingcai and Guan Yu show up and basically ground him.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

In all honesty I would really love to see one of the spin off games use the Bladestorm style just to break things up.

Also because I want another game like Bladestorm.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

gently caress I was about to post that. :argh:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Kersch posted:

Any idea what the pricing on 7: Empires is going to be like?

I'd be guessing whatever XL was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

iastudent posted:

This create-an-officer iteration is pretty cool. When does the full game launch?

The 26th.