Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game where you were able to create your own character? Or was it that "Officer" thing where the character you created was an NPC following you around.

loving love these games. Just endlessly killing hordes (and gamepads). :allears:

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh man, this franchise. :allears: I used to play it so much in my old PS2 (mostly Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 5, I think it was). Did they ever release a version with customizable characters? (As in, you could create your own characters)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Schubalts posted:

The first Samurai Warriors had it, too. Don't know why they took it out, though.

:raise: Really? I kind of remember being able to raise my own sub-officer, who would accompany my main dude through the game, but nothing else. (Or was that a Dynasty Warriors? It's been a while)

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 11, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Been playing through DW8XL recently, it's a ton of fun! Tried 9 and uh, I kind of enjoyed it? It's hella flawed but I think I'll get some mileage out of it, considering it goes its $16 in my region :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Man, I wonder how much of a resource drain it represents on the dev team to transfer over the ever-increasing number of playable characters they've accrued over the years. Kinda related to this: are there any other notable characters from ROT3K that are missing from the franchise? I know very little about the novel but the upcoming Total War 3 Kingdoms is giving prominent roles to characters who are generic officers in DW8, like Gongsun Zan.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 15, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Huh, neat. Had no idea about any of that :v:

Unrelated to all that, I've now spent around 10 hours with DW9 and man, the game is rough in a lot of spots (auto-ride pathfinding is terrible, bow controls on a pad are unwieldy as hell, I have to launch the game around 3 or so times for it to actually launch, etc) but I love the new character design and the combat system has really grown on me. Plus the AI on Normal is way more aggressive than in 8. Some of the voice acting is really on point, a few of the voice actors evidently didn't get enough context for the lines though their performance is decent and a few others (Zhou Yu, I'm looking at you) are just downright bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Samurai Warriors 4-2 is on sale. How much content is there? Orochi 4 isn't on sale, sadly, but AFAIK that one doesn't have much of an endgame so far.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Never played 4, actually. I do enjoy leveling all characters up in this kind of games so I'm still trying to decide between picking this up or Orochi 4 (regional pricing by the way, so Orochi is $14; 4-2 is like $7) since in that sense I'd have way more stuff to do. I kinda wish they had DW9 designs/characters, but oh well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm looking and WO4 has a 20% discount right now though..? :shrug:

SW4-II is pretty good at a 50% discount, and if you're a completionist and want to level everyone up/get all the achievements etc. (does anyone even max all the characters anymore? I know it's easier than the days of DW3 but even so, the thought of levelling up certain characters (Liu loving Shan) just gives me a headache) then it'll give you more than enough things to do. Actual content is somewhat debatable since the main variation during story mode and battles is different map objectives rather than different maps, but I dunno. You get a fair whack of characters to try out and I easily got some 90 hours out of it while loving around with the more quirky characters (Hasahide being one) before inevitably wandering back to DW8XL for my quick musou fixes (in no small part due to those DLC maps where it's You vs The World).

tl;dr I got more than my money's worth out of it, and Keiji & Kunoichi are wonderfully broken.

The discount took a while to appear, my bad :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What should I be doing with gems in DW8XL? I'm about to hit the cap and I'm nowhere near done maxing out bonds.

Get DW9's test/demo/whatever the gently caress they're calling it first (just register it to the library) and behold!

The waifus from DW8 will have their DW9 outfits. Sort of. Nothing for Lu Lingqi or Xingcai though, objectively the two best waifus in DW8.

I had no idea! Thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Got Samurai Warriors 4-2 in the end. I really like the visuals, the leveling system and the faster pace of the combat! I absolutely detest Naotora Ii and this may be the hardest my tolerance for anime has ever been tested. At first I thought they were like, I dunno, brother and sister with Naomasa? But nope, turns out she's her mother :lol: I could look past the cheesecake default costume (which I hate but whatever, Diaochan's kinda on the same boat) if it weren't because of the constant apologizing. I don't think I've ever disliked someone in a Musou game as much as I dislike her, goddamn.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Worst part is I really like her moveset :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey I just want to take a moment to say Find The Beauties is the most bullshit stage I've done so far in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL. After all the chasing people around for 20 minutes so they wouldn't leave the stage, I get a loving DPS CHECK????? I had no idea I was meant to be max level or whatever to get all the 6 star weapons. Oh god I have to do this three times???

Edit: For some reason my lvl150 with a 5 star weapon officer does like 1/100th of these super buffed unit commanders, but the other three dudes with me and my bodyguards take like a fourth of their health with a single hit. Whatever.

Azran fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 29, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And done with all three characters.

Honestly once you know where stuff spawns it's mostly easy, just time consuming. Fastest run took 20 minutes. The issue is the very last fight before Lu Lingqi, where you have around a minute or so to defeat three super buffed unit commanders that take next to no damage from a lvl150 character swinging 5 star weapons around. The trick there is save scumming till the AI does all the work for you (kill the chaff yourself) because they do insane amounts lf damage to them and also use weapons that generate lightning on hit, that takes a chunk of their life. It's kinda absurd tbh unless I'm missing something really obvious.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

lurksion posted:

I just reran this and didn't have too much trouble. Yeah they were super defensive and blocking all the time, but they die quick if you can break the block. Cai on horseback kinda does that though I guess.

:psyduck: I don't get it. Even while hitting their unprotected back I barely scratched their health bar unless I proc'd lightning strikes. A fully charged Rage musou would leave them just a little bit below half health. Considering how small the time limit is, it was pretty crazy unless you realize the AI trick (this is Hard Mode btw).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

lurksion posted:

Probably proc elemental I guess? I dunno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNXyw1tv0U (Chaos, poo poo recording, forgot to turn off the rescaler)

This is using the L6 weapon, I dunno why I don't have a L5 one, but it must have existed for me to get the L6 at some point.

Why exactly was the last explosion of the combo doing that much damage to them, is it some trait in particular or just a property of the move itself? Outside of that, same experience really.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

For a Hyrule Warriors fan would I be better off with 8 Extreme Legends or Orochi 4?

How does 8 handle unlockable stuff?

8XL has a poo poo TON of content. You play Story mode stages (there's Wu, Shu, Wei, Jin, Other and Lu Bu), which unlocks them for Free Mode. Story mode stages may have optional objectives that affect following missions (such as 'Do X to keep X from dying like their historical counterpart). Towards the end, the story branches off into an If hypothetical branch and the historical branch, each with their own endings. All of the factions also have an Xtreme Legends line of missions that focus on other scenarios and the new characters added in XL, available from the get-go. Then you can play Ambition Mode, that consists of two different stages (build up your town and then fight against a fake ruler while gathering all of your allies again). Ambition Mode gives you access to a ton of gold, exp/stat-boosting items and better mounts/weapons. Then you can also try for 5 and 6-star weapons by doing entirely different objectives with certain characters in certain missions.

DLC adds like 30-40 more stages on top of all that. It's pretty wild and a ton of fun. It's a shame 8: Empires is supposedly bad because I would have loved to see a better Ambition mod.

Honestly I'd recommend waiting for Orochi 4 Ultimate or whatever. Apparently the game's lacking in replay value.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Go home Auto-Ride, you're drunk

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 1, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm legit impressed about the number of improvements they've made to the game since release, given its catastrophic launch. They moved road bases around so you wouldn't get stuck THAT often (it used to happen every single time, now it's just uncommon) while auto-riding and they had a really sad Wei-Wu naval battle in one of the chapters halfway through the store, which was just a bunch of barges with people on top. They changed it so that there are ACTUAL WARSHIPS now and it wasn't even mentioned in the patch notes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I had to turn dynamic shadows down to Medium (plus disable reflections, grass and particles - didn't notice much of a difference really) and I get a solid 60fps on a 1060. That said I had to install it on my SSD because of the load times and that made pop-in issues noticeably less frequent. I wouldn't say it runs great (there are still some bizarre bugs like the game closing itself if you click on another window before it fully launches in fullscreen) but it runs definitely better.

As for whether it is worth playing, depends on what you're looking for. It's very much a 'make your own fun' kind of game for me, due to how you can bypass a ton of fighting by just heading straight for the boss. I think the combat system is fun and different and character visual design is top notch but I certainly miss some stuff from 8 like doing missions for 5 and 6 star weapons and the non-skippable battle objectives. If 8 had Xun Yu it'd possibly be my favorite game in the series, alas they left him for the crappy Empires version :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Downloaded DW9 Demo to see if they made any improvements to the performance. It still runs like trash.
On my i5-4670K and GTX 1060 even minimum settings constantly dip to 40 fps, even when literally nothing is happening. It's especially sad when you're in a battle with like 12 vs 12 guys.

I've got a GTX 1060 and a i5-8500 and it runs without dips as long as I don't have shadows or particles on. The game being inconsistent in that regard doesn't surprise me one bit though. I tried playing split-screen coop the other day and the second player has basically no ambient lightning on their screen. So instead of being everything being brown and shiny because of the setting sun, everything appeared dull and grey. :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'll give DW9 this: Xiahou Yuan's death cutscene is fittingly anime.

Also apparently you can find the Great Wall as a landmark, that was a nice detail to randomly come across.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there a way to force Warriors Orochi 4 to run in fullscreen instead of this weird almost-fullscreen windowed screen?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

It runs in real fullscreen for me and I have to use a third party program to run it in borderless windowed like I want instead.
What's your secret?

First couple times I played it, it run in fullscreen just fine. Now I can't get it to do that - it opens in windowed mode and I get 45fps instead of 60.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:downs: Turns out there is a graphics settings menu, just tucked away in the main menu. Nevermind!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Currently playing WO4 and Zhou Tai's incessant murmuring while playing as him is driving me crazy. I don't speak Japanese so it just feels like some sort of bizarre Musou-style ASMR experience. Are his sentences really that long? Like everyone else just screams their lungs out while using Unity Magic but he just keeps on talking.

Edit: Actually it seems it was a bug where his voice lines were playing over and over because I heard them for 10 minutes straight.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And DW9 is getting more DLC than WO4, which is amazing

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'd recommend DW8XL myself, just for the gameplay and extra characters with no clone movements. 7 still has the best story mode though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I only now noticed the third One Piece Warriors game is on Steam. How's that one?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Weird, it's $25 in my region. Yay for regional pricing I guess

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Edit: Can't read dates!

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 3, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Policenaut posted:

So what's going on with DW9's weapon DLC, because I'm really confused. I'm thinking of buying the Lightning Sword DLC because Sima Shi is my favorite, it's only five bucks, and the page promotes that it adds the weapon type and moveset to the game along with specialty moves for Sima Shi if he's using one, but I'm just chilling out in Luoyang and they're selling lightning swords and scrolls to craft epic lightning swords.

Weird, DLC weapons shouldn't be available unless you bought them (unless it's something with a very similar name). Buying the DLC gives you immediate access to the weapon you bought in your inventory. Check if the lightning sword you see in the shop has the same moveset as the one in KOEI's weapon spotlight video.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is the mix-up for best "waifu who slaughters battalions" still an argument between Lu Lingqi and Xingcai?

Wang Yuanji is pretty up there, I'd say.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Currently playing through DW7XL and I have to say Xu Zhu's outfit in this game may be the worst one he's ever had, goddamn. Looking at alternate outfits it really feels like they experimented a ton in 6 and 7 while 8 and 9 sorta went back to older designs for quite a few characters.

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 2, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Laugh at that but there's people working on European style names (or at least reversing family and given name order) for Total War Three Kingdoms. The names in that link are absurd but there is apparently some degree of demand for stuff like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's something you can also check in like 5 seconds of googling, Wikipedia even tells you "hey this is an (nationality) name, so here's how it works". Changing names around will make it harder to look stuff up or talk about the characters - why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?

Aside from ethnocentrism and xenophobia, I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. Weird!

I'm also finding it a little weird how difficult it is to access Jin. I beat the game fully with Cao Cao, then did Lu Bu, and I wanted to get right into Jin but unfortunately the only person I could get into Jin with was like some new girl I don't know called Xin something.

Apparently owning the first Season Pass unlocks absolutely everything because I started with all characters unlocked. Main reason to prioritize certain storylines in my case was to unlock the special horses.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I still can't believe they went with Zhang Fei's kidnapped wife as one of the four DLC characters. :cripes:

But yes, there is a ton of "interesting setup, awful in practice" missions which I can't even get angry about, just sad. Like that one mission where you have to get arrows for your troops, so you go inside a barge that drives to the other shore, where Wu archers shoot at you, and you come back with all the arrows stuck on the barge. You can very visibly see the Wu troops pop in and out of existence and play animations that are slightly desynced from the actual rain of arrows. It's so :smith:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Oh my God she's an actual DLC character!? She's so bland and nondescript that I just assumed she's one of the world NPCs they slapped into the role! Oh no! Oh nooooo!

Yeah, she was added alongside Hua Xiong, Yuan Shu and Dong Bai (who also had unique models before they were released as DLC).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Season Pass 1 has 3 weapons, Season Pass 2 has 6 and Season Pass 3 has 6 more.

Namely: Sword & Hook (Xu Shu), Emei Piercers (Wang Yi), Claws (Zhang He), Curved Sword (Zhou Tai), Serpent Blade (Zhang Fei), Inferno Voulge (Sun Jian), Dual Hookblades (Yue Jin), Lightning Sword (Sima Shi), Crescent Edge (Li Dian), Crossed Pike (Lu Lingqi), Tooth & Nail (Huang Zhong, it's an actual bow), Tripartite Nunchuks (Zhu Ran), Bow & Rod (Xiahou Yuan), Tempest Mace (Guan Yinping) and Iron Flute (Zhenji).

RIP Cao Ren's shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Edit: nvm! Already posted.