Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lunethex posted:

Lu Lingqi - Sword and Shield

:thunk:

loving bizarre change of weapon, and for what reason? What does this mean for Xingcai? Will she just have the same thing or also end up with a needless alteration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

alpha_destroy posted:

Maybe Xingcai is getting her fork back. I liked her fork.

Musou abso-fuckin'-lutely sucked though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

alpha_destroy posted:

gently caress, mentally I still think of Zhou Tai as a newcomer and he was introduced almost 15 years ago!
Anyone introduced after DW3 is forever a newcomer.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PureRok posted:

What's Xingcai going to use if Lu stole hers?
Most likely her DW5 weapon, which replaces the sword with a fork (not the sort you eat with). Keeps the shield though.

Other than that, I can only guess a smaller version of Zhang Fei's pike (or something similar), which would be a dumb decision.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Clone weapons are fine I guess, as long as the animations and charge attacks are all mixed up.

I mean it sort of happened before (Guan Yu and Zhang Liao in DW3 - DW5) so there's hope?

Edit:
Although I don't know how they'll split Lingqi and Xingcai in this regard... Hopefully Lingqi gets some hyper-aggressive high-damage moveset in line with her father while Xingcai stays the same as DW8.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 26, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Davincie posted:

don't buy and play too many musou games in a row
This. Was pretty loving burned out on Musou after getting every DW/SW game from DW3 all the way up to and including WO, and then I just ignored the lot until DW8:XL. Haven't bought another since then either because I'm still somehow finding sudden bursts of several hours' worth of entertainment in it.

But hey, at least I was burned out before DW6 could eat my money.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DW3 had some of the best pronunciations. Just for the ridiculous over-emphasis on some names.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Chachi posted:

Try starting in a territory that's shoved into a corner so you have fewer places to be invaded from. Be sure to rotate your best military officers to the front and make sure you have the means to work around their fatigue. Pay special attention to how much food you have. Pay close attention to how many soldiers you have and the general state of your infrastructure. When deciding on a territory to invade, consider all the avenues of attack back into the space you're entering. Keep your fronts as small as possible. If you're on the defensive, don't turtle unless the enemy force is absolutely overwhelming - if you can push them all the way back and take their main camp, you'll steal resources.

I've not played an Empires game since DW5/SW2, but does this mean that conquering the map is not a complete pushover anymore that I can achieve single-handedly?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If I can leap from some ridiculous height and use Lu Bu's air musou to crash into a massive pack of ancient Chinese peons, then I'll be happy. Very happy.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Figured it out; you have to increase the difficulty up at least 'Hard' for the weapons to drop. Either I missed that or it wasn't noted anywhere save for one FAQ I found.

Only hard? For 6-star weapons? Motherfucker, and there I was playing on Ultimate to grab all this poo poo.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I bought SW4-II to tide me over until DW9 hits and realised I don't have enough disk space for it thanks to all the other poo poo I'm in the middle of playing right now. :negative:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bloodly posted:

DW4 after DW3 is such a nicer beginning. The big change is simply that people drop healing stuff so much more often. It's still tough, especially with later maps, but it's not completely horrible.

My main gripe with DW4 was that many of the maps seemed bland and/or tiny compared to DW3 (He Fei felt kinda poo poo in DW4 after the insanely difficult DW3 map), with some even being recycled and renamed for different stages (Xia Pi Castle & Xiao Pei being an example I remember in particular). Still played the gently caress out of it (and 4XL) though, and 2P in either game was (and probably still is) a hoot, especially with crummy-stat fresh characters on hard maps which split you up at the start.

DW3 He Fei Castle can eat all the dicks though, with that loving Sun "I Love Crossbow Units" Quan bastard making GBS threads the map up with Archers of Death. And then there's that one ambush.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mikeycp posted:

I'm probably gonna get drat close to 100% in the games for my video series if not 100 straight up. Haven't started it yet, but I'm kinda scared of DW2.
Any particular reason? I mean other than the fact that DW2 now plays, sounds and looks like some sort of alpha/proof-of-concept for DW3, and having to go through 28 Musou modes with characters that never really improve outside of their raw stats from start to finish with no weapon upgrades or items is a terrifying prospect? :smith:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of DW2 these days, although I'm incredibly grateful for it existing and kickstarting this whole ridiculous genre.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

When I busted open a box at Hu Lao Gate and found a Memory Card that asked if I wanted an Interim Save, I wondered how anyone in the world could return to it (and generic officer Zhang He) after touching DW3.

gently caress me sideways! I completely forgot that interim saving was such an awful horrible clunky thing in DW2!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

God loving drat it the English voicework is deplorable and every time I hear it just makes me miserable. It's not even entertainingly stupid like in DW3, it's just dull and lifeless. Much like the HUD, now that I think about it.

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtpiHWI1xk

The only way this could be worse is if someone immediately came over and made a 'The Cake is a Lie joke.

Jesus loving Christ!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god....this is shameful.

Even my i5 4760K and GTX 1060 can't get rock solid 1080p/60 on LOWEST settings, looking like this:

Holy poo poo, look at those Quake-era texture resolutions on Xiahou Yuan's garb.

Honestly the backlash thus far has put me right off buying DW9; I was even going to buy it today but then I saw Sterling's vid and all the other negative opinions on the game. Normally I'd just say "aw gently caress y'all" and buy it anyway but wow. This is some harsh poo poo being thrown at the game.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If they make that tweet two more times, then I will forgive them.

Oh, you're good.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PureRok posted:

We need Sugoroku to come back from Samurai Warriors 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9Zn3xhk64

"I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL..."

-rolls dice for double 1-

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Remarker posted:

I'm running through Dynasty Warriors 3 as Dian Wei right now. I just spent an hour in Seige of He Fei castle barely holding things together at zero morale as Wu officers kept smashing into our HQ. The tides were slowly starting to turn, but I must have ventured juuuuust enough out of Sima Yi's range for the morale penalty to kick in, because he dropped from full health to dead in like three seconds, and I lost.

Why does the game I love hate me so much

A pain I am all too familiar with when it comes to that game (particularly at Chi Bi, Lu Bu vs Dong Zhuo) because your allies are invariably transformed into braindead cripples when they're out of render range. Topping it off, the enemy forces are also vastly superior in numbers meaning anyone you can't see just gets loving flattened faster than Yuan Shu after Lu Bu arrives at Hu Lao Gate. Absolutely loving infuriating turn of events, moreso if you're trying to get weapons/items on 3XL.

I do like the Wei """reinforcements""" you get at He Fei Castle though. Two sergeant blokes on horses and about 10 privates.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't have anything to add to this other than the DW3 He Fei Castle Wei theme is the most kickin' rad music the series has ever done.

Takoluka posted:

Link is super broken, but I assume you're referring to MEN OF INTELLIGENCE?

drat right. Whenever there's the option, it's my go-to track for story-ending battles.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

One of the mechanics of the SW cast is the ability to deflect projectiles. Could they still do that in Orochi? I never used it, but I wonder.

I think that mechanic was quietly retired by the time SW2 happened. I might be wrong by all means, but I certainly don't remember it being a thing in SW4-II.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"HOOAH JON! FACE ME IF YOU DARE!"

God I love everything craptastic about DW3's acting and pronunciation.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Death Zebra posted:

I like how they gave every character in DW3 a line in certain cutscenes like the one prior to the Wu side of Fan Castle.

Lu Meng: "The enemy is Guan Yu"
Guan Yu: "I am my own opponent? This will be difficult!"

And then there's Lu Bu's response: "I will prove I am the strongest. Watch me crush these maggots!"

This is what I miss more than anything in the DW series these days. Play as some guy or gal that could be historically some 40+ years either way from the date of the battle, but they still get lines in all the relevant cutscenes. Lu Bu present for Jin's assault on Chengdu? Xingcai at Hulao Gate? If it was anything like DW3 then they'd have something (dumb) to say in any scene triggered by the player, and it was always a joy to see how this poo poo would (not) match the pre-set lines.

Of course my favourite is Lu Bu at Chang Ban, Wei side. Cao Cao arrives and Lu Bu just blathers out "I HAVE BEEN WAITING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SCUM!"

Mate, that's your commander. Rein it in a bit before you open your drat yap.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 3, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

Gary and Mary Stus own the hell out of the Musou universe, and it never stops being hilarious to me.

"GokuIRL has defeated Lu Bu! Morale is soaring!"

Behold the new ruler of China:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just digging though some old DW8 screenshots and burst out laughing at this even though there's nothing to really laugh at:

Max Wilco posted:

I do still want to try DW8E, but I'm not sure whether to get it for PC (I think there's some overlap with it and the DLC for DW8Xtreme, but it has some technical problems) or PS4. I also don't know if it plays any differently than SW4E. DW8E looks a little more fleshed out from what little I've seen of it.
There's definitely some overlap with the DLC since I was immediately able to run around with characters dressed up like it's 2001 all over again. DW8E is fine I suppose, you certainly have plenty of options to mess around with during a campaign (albeit many of them depending on your character's position in the kingdom's hierarchy) and creating ridiculous poo poo to fight alongside/against is never not funny. You can even make the dumbest loving warhorse; some fat dumpy thing with tiny little legs and a massive head.

I'm currently in the middle of an idiot campaign where I'm trying drat hard to sabotage Shu's efforts from the inside by wasting all the resources on unhelpful crap before I defect to Jin (or just start an uprising) and stomp all over them. Harder than it sounds.

Edit:
There's also the whole character relationship aspect where marriage happens, followed by the birth of a Dynasty Babby, and then that babby becomes a playable officer comprised of Edit Mode bits and pieces. I don't know if there's some sort of (very basic) algorithm at work to try and make said Babby Warrior look like a blend of the two officers in question (I doubt it though) but the results are often hilarious and/or terrifying nontheless.

EXAMPLE:
Lu Bu + Xingcai = Whatever this is:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Okay so is there some sort of magic bullshit required to finish the "Persistence Pays Off" Raid Scenario in DW8E? Because no matter what I do, any bases I'm not in or near just get loving hosed in moments and it's obviously impossible to be in all of them at once to stop this from happening.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lurksion posted:

Seems like you just want to beeline the victory condition since you get new spawns at all your bases, only backtracking to clear out close bases. Does seem to be the hardest of the scenarios.

Well that fixes it. Wow, it's admittedly pretty poo poo for a scenario built around being difficult, but then that's what happens when it's literally impossible to win without just baserushing for a fast win. Easy way for farming points though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

SW4 was so easy I dunno if I ever got a game over
I did if the AI commander did that thing where they rush off to attack despite being undermanned and just generally ill-equipped to take on several enemy officers at once.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PureRok posted:

Boo, they're using the old character designs, not that new and better DW9 designs.
No big deal, I prefer most of the DW8 designs anyway :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Watching some old DW2 stuff and Jesus Christ the voices are just horrible. Not even good-horrible a la DW3, just... "special".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc6IEkAKvFM&t=17s

Lu Mong of Dao Ni.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

The visuals in DW2 look so weird and rough to me. I know that DW2 was on PS2, but stuff like that map screen, along with the UI elements make it seem like something from the PS1-era.

Everything about DW2 screams "TECH DEMO" when you put it next to DW3. Extremely limited movesets, no items/weapon upgrades, barebones detail on (very basic) maps, ingame draw distance inspired by John Carpenter's "The Fog", horribly basic UI, etc.. It just looks & sounds like a "Work In Progress"; even the character designs are so strikingly similar between the two games (with DW2 looking like rough work for DW3's final designs) that it's impossible to ignore. DW3 was only a year away at this time too so it's not exactly a far-fetched possibility that Koei just said "ah gently caress it let's release what we've got now and squeeze two games out of this project".

Or maybe I'm just super-cynical.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

abagofcheetos posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-II question: so the game has those survival challenges, and I noticed that the first time I did each one I got a shitload of reward, but each subsequent time not nearly as much. Does that bonus amount reset weekly with the leaderboard or what?

Only the first time you finish each one AFAIK, unless you improve your result for a higher grade.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Some characters are barely a grind at all if you get the right skills early *cough*Keiji Maeda*cough*. Just farm masses of xp and gold for turning up and slaughtering the usual 2k mooks.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zeus' beard is too much for a mere human form to contain, so he had to shave.

Nah I don't like it. I mean I'll buy the game but Zeus needs a loving beard.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Guh. Seriously. Who the gently caress had the bright idea, for Dynasty Warriors 4's Nanman Campaign, to have your ENTIRE ARMY TAKING CONSTANT loving MORALE HITS FOR THE ENTIRE STAGE?! Meanwhile, the enemy's morale climbs higher and higher and higher.

If you're not playing the commander and not just blitzing the bottom of the map to end it immediately (because why even play the level if you're just gonna skip the entire fuckin' thing), the only possible strategy is to get as much done as you can before your commander gets himself in poo poo, then glue your rear end to his face for the next better part of an hour grinding up to 1000 kills to max out his morale so you can leave his side for two loving minutes without him having a goddamn heart attack while you finish the rest of the map.

Wonderful times! The only map in the game which would consistently deliver 2000+ kills but in return take 50+ minutes to burn through.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vincent posted:

How's the port of DW 8 XL for Steam? Thinking about picking it put now that it's on sale.

Pretty good. Had to reconfigure the controls a bit so my muscle memory wouldn't bamboozle me with unnecessary musou attacks on one dweeby private, but I've racked up 300 hours so it must be doing something right.

The DLC stages are alright too, especially the "you alone vs the entire map" stages.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

that one goddamn Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang
I wish I could remember this guy clearly at all, never mind remember him being such a nuisance. Was it only if you played on Very Hard via 3XL? Or was he still a superhuman mook on regular ol' Hard difficulty?

While I'm talking about 3XL, one of the original stages that gave me no end of trouble if ramped up to Very Hard difficulty was He Fei Castle. I mean sure they all became ball-achingly frustrating at that skill level but He Fei Castle stands out as just being a complete loving nightmare. Battle of He Fei wasn't much different in that regard. Basically any map with a Wu enemy commanded by that insufferable loving bastard Sun Quan and his Archer/Crossbow fetish just became nigh-unplayable slogs once the ambushes started.

Manic X posted:

It would be neat if eventually they made the character models age once or twice in the story. Always gets me watching grandpa Liu Bei on his deathbed still looking 15
Then there's DW3 and Huang Zhong already looking like he's 70 while he's fighting against the Yellow Turban Rebellion, then doesn't age at all for the next 35 years.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Manic X posted:

I miss the old system of Officers having sub-officers.

Same here. I suppose it is somewhat pointless in the current scheme of things, but it was a nice detail and could really swing the morale meter around (back in the days when the morale meter actually mattered) if you clubbed some general with 5 officers under his command, forcing them all to retreat. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to DW3's method of not giving any sort of info on where these sub-officers are on the map though (something which DW4 fixed perfectly).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

That may be why they dropped it and just made everyone in a battle an independent general after DW5 :v:

What was pretty cool (for reasons of being a game oddity) was selecting a character who'd be subordinate officer on a certain map, then having your commanding officer get himself rubbed out (easiest to achieve on YTR on Hard or above, just pick Xiahou Dun and watch Cao Cao do something really loving dumb, that sort of thing); you'd just become some guy on the map with no appearance in the Unit Info section and seemingly have no influence or sway on the morale meter.

There was also this thing in DW4 where you'd invariably end up as a subordinate officer if you played Free Mode as a character who wasn't supposed to be in a battle. If you were playing co-op, P2 could then be an officer who is supposed to be in the battle, and voila! He'd be a subordinate officer too, but along with the regular general also being on the map. You'd end up with clones in the same army. I remember this being the case in particular with P2 selecting Ma Chao at Wu Zhang Plains (Shu side, obviously). I'm guessing it would work on other maps too, or maybe the game just poo poo the bed on this occasion.

(On that note there's also a DLC stage in DW8XL centering around Wang Yun & Diaochan's scheme to coerce Lu Bu into betraying/murdering Dong Zhuo -- Lu Bu's on the map as an (incredibly placid) enemy officer, but switches sides and flies into a murderous rage against ol' fatso once Diaochan encounters him with her sob story. Play as Lu Bu from the start and there you go, another Lu Bu just became available to mercilessly splat anything that moves. Pretty sure this can be done on any map which involves someone changing sides, but this one stands out for obvious reasons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Anyone else remember that dumb "feature" of Samurai Warriors in co-op where the game would average out the difficulty of the AI to sit somewhere between the abilities of the two selected characters?

Yeah, that was really loving dumb if I was hoofing around with a maxed-out Keiji Maeda while whoever else was lumbered with some poor sap, freshly unlocked and completely without upgrades or decent weapons. Even on the easier difficulties it turned things into a slog for P2.