Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some of the missions in Samurai 3 are such incredible bullshit, forcing you to travel the entire length of the map over and over again with a severe time limit. I've failed one of Aya's stages like that four times in a row now.

I seem to remember the original PS2 Samurai Warriors being a lot like that too, you had to play some stages a couple of times before you knew where you had to be at the right time, otherwise you were screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

New video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYprSUieBQ

Someone really needs to remind them that one-on-one boss battles aren't fun in Warriors games. Shame it seems completely bloodless too, unlike the TV series.

Have they made any mention of how far the story mode goes?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SirPhoebos posted:

I was curious...does anyone use block while playing a Warriors game?

The only reason the block button ever gets used is because it is also the reposition camera button.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been playing Pirate Warriors for a couple of hours and.. There's actual variety in the storyline missions, I'm not sure I like it. :colbert: Sarcasm aside DW games have never done well when they try and do anything other than beating up a ton of bad guys. I do like that boss battles now even more resemble scrolling beat 'em ups by having a bunch of random goons hanging around to get punched too. And there's a lot more moves now since it's not just your normal combo string modified by when you press Triangle, each combo is it's own distinct attack.

Policenaut posted:

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

gently caress, oh well, had to happen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, I've gone off Pirate Warriors now, the 'Action' stages in the main storyline mode that are mostly QTEs/horrible platforming are either boring or annoying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

So it's just like Fist of the North Star's story missions?

I actually thing they're worse. Seriously, there's one part that took 30 minutes real time and involved a whole two bits where you beat people up. Slowly carrying Nami up the mountain to Drum Castle, oh and her health is constantly draining when you're not near a fire and you occasionally have to put her down to solve 'puzzles'.

Edit: Also, it does the annoying thing of asking you if you want to switch to easy if you die too many times (I found this out due to a really annoying gimmicky boss fight) and if you fall too often during the platform bits it'll ask if you want to skip them. :v: Still, I suppose they have to make it kid friendly...

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 21, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, the Wapol fight's third phase can eat a bag of dicks.

Glad it wasn't just me. So far I'm treating this the same way I did the Fist of the Northstar game, speed through the story to unlock stuff for the actually interesting part, the Another Log mode that actually plays like a Warriors game.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That and Chopper is super fluffy in cut-scenes for some reason.

I am liking this too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Sakurazuka, is Pirate Warriors friendly to people who've never read/watched One Piece? Like does it properly go into its story? I've always wanted to get into that franchise but Jesus there's just so much manga and anime behind it that it becomes this daunting task. If Pirate Warriors can bring newbies "up to speed" to a certain point, that'd be great.

Eh, not really, the few bits I played that were ahead of where I am in the anime series (the opening and a bit around stage seven, the story is kind of told as a flashback from where the series was up to about 12 months or so ago) totally confused me and I already know the characters and have a vague idea where things were heading. It's on a par with the re-tellings in the first two DW Gundam games, you get a super vague idea of what's going on but no more than that.

Edit: On second thought it might be a bit better than DWG and some of the supplemental information in the gallery helps but it's still not a good introduction at all.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, it looks to be bloodless, which...considering the size of that sword and the slash, to then show Zoro not having a huge gash across his entire torso is weird, but I understand why they censored it.

Honestly I've no idea why they censored it, the manga and anime versions are just as much for kids as the game and also manage to be appropriately bloody.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 24, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

Game ratings are much more stringent than books and even tv shows are. Even a little gore can bump the rating up, and they don't want that. One Piece can be exceptionally bloody at times, and I want to ask you since you've played a large chunk of it, is the entire game like that? How much blood/gore is there?

There's no blood at all, anywhere.

Autumncomet posted:

Apparently no Skypiea and Thriller Bark? I was looking forward to wailing on Oars and Enel-face.

Skypiea is definitely out, it just jumps straight from Alabasta to Water 7. I stopped playing once I got to potentially spoilery bits for me, but Thriller Bark should have been up next and wasn't, so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Once had a Bluray that wouldn't play because I'd accidentally managed to get a fingerprint on it, I think those 'tiny scratches' are your answer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Can anyone comment to the amount of content in Pirate Warriors? Love One Piece and Warriors stuff but after getting burned by Ken's Rage I can't help but be a bit apprehensive for 50 bucks. It's actually ~$53 or so for a physical copy import on shopto, so I would probably go that route.

Probably about the same as Ken's Rage. The story mode doesn't let you choose a character, you're Luffy 90% of the time and switch to different characters at various points. The alternate mode has more characters than Ken's Rage though, the nine Straw-Hats plus three (I think) other major characters and there's also an online mode, which I haven't tried, but is probably as terrible as DWG 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Something about Pirate Warriors seems even more low budget than other Warriors games; the story mode is pretty short, characters in another log mode only seem to have about five stages each and things like Nami's one musou bar special glitching out the camera every single time and occasionally not working at all just seem to give it a rushed feel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Shin Hokuto Musou's page opened and uh...that's a lot of character slots.

I can't even think who that could all be, other than wasteland raider A, B, C, D, and E or something.

I'd be surprised if they were all playable characters. That's practically a slot for every named character from both series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was going to say I don't remember Toki being that bad, I forget he was healed in the dream mode version. He was utterly unstoppable then though, which is pretty true to the source material.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Sigh, so it looks like Dynasty Warriors is leaving the Xbox 360 for good then? :smith:

Just for the side releases maybe. Ken's Rage 2 is getting a 360 version at least in the UK, and DW 8 probably will too. It's always been PS3 only in Japan then they do a 360 port for the western release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was only disappointed with Bladestorm because I was expecting it to do to my country's historical figures what the Musou games did to China and Japan's. I wanted a fiery broadsword wielding Henry V, dammit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really need to play Orochi 3, but I might as well wait and see if the WiiU version gets released here at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honest Thief posted:

One Piece Warriors is going to be on promo at the psn store; can someone give me a quick overview of it? Or should I just wait for a better game?

Wait. As both a huge DW and One Piece fan it was incredibly disappointing. The main problem is compared to most Warriors games, it's horribly lacking in content. The main story mode can only be played through as Luffy and it's about as long the story mode of a single character in any of the other games, and the other playable characters in 'Another Story' mode have only have on average five stages each and sometimes a lot less, though there are a decent number of characters. Add to that that the platforming segments, none-musou stages and gimmick boss fights are all horrible and to cap it all off it also contains a bunch of weird bugs.

I did like the combo system though and hope they use it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Onion Rings posted:

Ouch. Well that's sad. So has anything else come out recently that I can get on t he PS3 that's worth getting as a Warriors game? I own WO3 and all the dynasty warriors main series games as well.

DW7 Empires is out soon as a downloadable title. Other than that you're waiting for either Ken's Rage 2 or DW 8 whenever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

socialsecurity posted:

They have only been to 2 locations in the New World I'm not sure how they can make a whole game out of that.

Maybe they'll stick the current anime filler arc in and the new movie to make it, uh, three.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy loving poo poo, what the hell is is with Koei and them dumping you back to the title screen no matter loving what when you get disconnected from the internet without even loving saving your game or anything? I'd literally just finished the stage and nope, back the loving title screen how dare you not be connected to the internet, even though you haven't even downloaded any DLC.

Does this poo poo happen on the PS3, if not that the last time I ever buy the 360 version of a Warriors game.

VVVV Orochi 3 and it happened with Ken's Rage as well, but then it didn't seem to happen with DW Gundam 3 unless my internet didn't drop out once while playing it, which I refuse to believe considering how spotty my internet is and how much time I played that for.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 31, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weissritter posted:

I started playing the series recently (DW7XL and WO3) with the impression that they are basically good hack and slash... But somehow found myself actually liking some of the characters and wants to know what happens next in the story (WO3).

A pleasant surprise.

Also, is it just me, or Diao Chan seems to have an extremely powerful moveset?

Characters in WO3 apparently only comes in two varieties, horrendously overpowered or virtually useless.

Are Koei having a laugh with how boring and crap Yukimura Sanada is in that game because he's the 'main' character in Sengoku Basara?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's a good map for getting the 'finish a stage in under 5 minutes' achievement in Orochi 3?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know anything about HnK 2, DOES anyone become the proper successor to Hokuto Shinken?

Yeah, it was Kenshiro. Surprise!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh come on, you know that's not what I meant.

Not canonically as far as I know, but the post HnK2 OAV has Kenshiro talking to Raoh's son about being successor, but I'm pretty sure they made that and Raoh having a son up in the first place.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

randombattle posted:

Ahem...

Souten No Ken is pretty good though.

Don't watch the anime version though, ugh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, even I know nothing about Kamen Rider. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al these new Warriors games and still no new Samurai Warriors? :negative:

VVVV Well, that's okay then. :)

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5er posted:

And later this year it'll be announced to be Japan-only, Wii U direct download exclusive...

Only the 'Japan-only' part of that would bother me. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

It's a Nintendo platform sooooooooooooooo yes it is.

Region locking a hand-held really was the lowest of the low.

Speaking of which, is that 3DS Samurai Warriors game any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I'm starting to get hype for this game now. I just got into Thriller Bark (HOLY poo poo WATER SEVEN WAS AWESOME) and now that I actually recognize a majority of the names and places people talk about RE: Pirate Warriors 1 I'm like "gently caress YEAH LETS DO THIS". Hopefully I'll be able to buy PW1 soon.

If you're watching the anime series now would be a really good time to switch to the manga, the anime makes kind of a hash of an upcoming arc, which is basically the most important storyline in the series up to this point. Though I must admit, I have a hard time enjoying it quite as much without the music and voice acting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, didn't realise that Ken's Rage 2 was out here in the UK in a bit over a week. And DW 7: Empires two weeks after that. :psyduck:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KimT posted:

I've been kinda on the fence about getting into this series for a while, and today a bunch of old Warriors games were put up on the EU PSN. The only game in the series I've played is Dynasty Warriors 3 and I remember liking that a lot. Are any of these worth picking up?

- Dynasty Warriors 4
- Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
- Dynasty Warriors 5
- Kessen III (Not sure if this is part of the series)
- Samurai Warriors 2
- Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Or would I be better off just getting Dynasty Warriors 7 or something?

Samurai Warriors 2 (or Empires if you're feeling a bit more strategic) are still fairly decent games, but don't forget you're basically playing an upscaled PS2 game and are pretty dated now. Unless you have any nostalgia for the older DW games, you're best off just going straight for 7 since it's the best iteration at the moment. Kessen is much more of a strategy title, and I've never played it, so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit, I said I wasn't going to buy Pirate Warriors 2 after how mediocre the first one was, but I'm so weak.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gundam is certainly way more suited to a Musou game than Fist of the North Star, which had maybe all of three large scale battles in the whole thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does Ken's Rage 2 contain the plot from FotN1 or is it just the sequel plot? I skipped the first one because I heard bad things about it overall, but this second one seems to fix a lot of things and I wanted to try. But if all there is the terrible FotN2 plot I dunno if I really want to play it.

It'll contain all the story from the first series plus (sadly) HnK 2 as well.

Looks like I'm not getting my copy for Friday, I dunno why I keep ordering stuff from Zavvi. Well, they're cheap. And they lulled me into a false sense of security by getting Ni no Kuni to me a day early. :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly don't know why they keep doing this with their non-Gundam anime based games. Pirate Warriors was the same, with the addition of some horrible QTE platforming. Do they not realise why people like these games in the first place? The Dream/alternate modes have classic Warriors stuff going on, why not make the main game like that too?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, Ken's Rage 2. I like that everyone plays a bit snappier now, but everything else is seriously a step backwards. I guess Legend mode is great if it's been years since you read the manga or something but I know the story off by heart and I'd rather just be playing the game rather than 5 minutes of punching people followed by 15 minutes of cut scenes. And Dream mode is just dull prequels, no fun alternate universe stuff and it doesn't even play like a proper DW game any more, just capture five bases and kill a couple of bosses. I hate to say this too, but having useful NPC's who go around and capture bases themselves is kind of annoying if you're you're just after the ones worth more points.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Picked up DW7E today, haven't played one of the Empires games since, uh, 5 I think, not used to having to think (or at least, make decisions) in my Warriors games. The tutorials are less than useless so my first game was pretty much a 'what the hell am I doing' trial run and managed to fail two battles in row. Resources seem pretty hard to come by at first, food particularly being a major choking point unless I tax the poo poo out of people and raise my Evil affinity doing so.

Can anyone else who has played it tell me if I'm right that you can't play as your edit characters in the historical scenarios, only in the make it up as you go along one?

Also there's a silver trophy for winning a battle without once swinging your weapon. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a recommended version of the original RotTK novels? There seem to be a few different translations out there.