Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Speaking of best equipment, what should I be saving my tiny medals for? I assume the metal slime shield, but is there anything worthwhile I could buy before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, adding tech trees and getting to play as Ethiopian Kings firing trebuchets against Viking riflemen.. It is a game I want.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Theswarms posted:

You know which franchise is being thrown at literally everyone who asks for it right now? Warhammer.

I would play the gently caress out of Warhammer Warriors.

You think the DLC gouging is bad now?!? Just wait, marine.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

BenRGamer posted:

...would a musou version of Space Marines be any different than normal Space Marines?

Yes, because there are more than 2 solid Dynasty Warriors games. (At least I think so, maybe..)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Anonymous Robot posted:

Can't wait for Doug Warriors.

Mr. Bone is unbalanced, they shouldn't have let him be used for achievements or online play. And everyone just spams Skeeter's R1 but he's really interesting if you look deeper.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have it on ps4 and it runs great. Also probably the most fun Warriors game I've played in a while, and I don't care about One Piece at all.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What would be the best Dynasty Warriors game to play to get a decent idea of the overall story? I have DW8:XLCE for PS4 but I think that's all side stories and alternate what-if stuff, right? I played DW3 a lot, for the ps2. I have access to any of the Sony systems, and I don't mind going back a generation or two..

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Darth Walrus posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7, then 8 to fill out some of the gaps.

Thanks. Regular 8, right? Not XL

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Urdnot Fire posted:

The PS4 edition of 8 includes both the base game and XL, so you get all the main storylines plus Lu Bu's and the side quests. It's just titled a bit ambiguously.

Nice, thanks. Is 7 better than 8 in any other ways, aside from having a more comprehensive story mode?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I just received Dynasty Warriors 7 for PS3 and fired it up. I don't know why I was surprised, but the intro movie where the dude jump kicks a horse in the face (causing an entire battalion to collapse like bowling pins) really raised the bar. All while he's carrying (and dropping) an infant and running on walls, jumping from waterfalls, etc. Wonderful

https://youtu.be/2QjCKyD6x3g

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Looks like that horse kicker was Zhao Yun and the baby was Liu Shan. Did Liu Bei really try to kill him at some point or do you mean he basically left him for dead when retreating?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

Remember that this was supposed to showcase Liu Bei's great Virtue in properly valuing a great general over a measly baby.

Yeah, I guess values were different back then. I remember when I tried to actually read a translation of the books (4 volumes, I couldn't finish), there was some guy who killed and fed his wife to Liu Bei, and then Liu Bei praised the guy for being so loyal.

Also:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 5, 2017

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

Found it.

(gif is taken from the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, which is an all-around excellent retelling of the saga all the way to Zhuge Liang's death)

I might check that out. There are so many god damned names and events to keep straight that an overview like that would be helpful. I got dw7 for that purpose though, so I'll go through its story mode first.

Edit: Hey can someone explain why Dong Zhuo's name is pronounced Dong Zhwa? I mean, I understand that's likely how his name is actually pronounced, but what's the point of romanizing it as "Zhou", then? There will likely be countless other examples of this, as I go through the game

Chinook fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 5, 2017

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I'd like to know why anyone made it "Zhuo" instead of "Zhua" in the first place. Same with Cao Cao, of course.

I'll get used to it, I'm sure. I pursued and cheesed Lu Bu, by the way. Red zoned my health and just spammed musou on him. No fancy horse reward like I seem to recall back in DW3. Oh well. :)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Seems like Tsao Tsao is the way I've been hearing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

NameHurtBrain posted:

Still, I gotta say this method is better than just reading it out as normal. Cow Cow and Cow Pee make the game hard to take seriously, and you're already struggling.

I just fought a dude named He Man. :black101:

(which when pronounced correctly, still sounds like the Jamaican stereotypical "hey mon!")

Chinook fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 5, 2017

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if any of the girls in the game will also benefit from this tech.

Lian Shi's enormous breasts will sag progressively, and eventually become a melee weapon.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The White Dragon posted:

47. the strategy to liberate applebee's

1. Oath in the Olive Garden

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Hyrule Warriors on 3ds has the ability to quickly switch between commanders like in samurai warriors 4 (I think that's the one) and it improves the game so much. I sure hope that feature heads over to the switch version.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_iZ2ScLQE

Full magical girl Zhao Yun transformation cutscene which is apparently the opening of the game.

Pretty good, really. I'm disappointed they didn't incorporate a jump kick into a horse's face, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If they make that tweet two more times, then I will forgive them.

That's pretty good.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, if you're looking for that setting, it's probably your best bet. I like Pirate Warriors 3 the best, overall, for it's gameplay, but obviously it's a very different setting. I just think it does everything really well.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Haven't played these in a while. What's the best one now? I remember thinking Pirate Warriors 3 was pretty great at the time, despite the goofy story and characters. (or maybe because of them? I didn't have much history with One Piece so it was all pretty unusual)

Is Dynasty Warriors 8 complete XL the best entry at this point?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

He's pursuing Lu Burp

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shinjobi posted:

I see a new door opening to me. Recommendations?

I watched this recently and it was very good:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prodigal_Son_(1981_film)

Apparently somewhat special because of the style of fighting (wing chun) used in the film.

Anyway, this Sammo gentleman wrote, directed, and stars in it, too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Wamdoodle posted:

Monkey paw curls:

New Basara but it also doesn't get localized is a mobile gatcha currency/timer game

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I played PW3 for like 40 hours and absolutely loved it. I tried PW4 for about an hour and got bored. It might be okay but it didn’t grab me like the third one did.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zhuge Kongming earned a reputation as one of the greatest tacticians of the Three Kingdoms period of third-century China. Having led his army through countless grueling victories, Kongming falls gravely ill during the Battle of Wuzhang Plains. The weariness and regret stemming from the seemingly never-ending war catch up to him, and as he draws his final breath, Kongming wishes that if he were to reincarnate, he would be reborn in a more peaceful era.

His wish comes true, and Kongming wakes up in modern-day Tokyo with a younger body and his memories intact. Thrust into an unfamiliar world, he finds his way into a nightclub and meets Eiko Tsukimi, an aspiring singer whose performance immediately captivates him. Pitying his confusion, Eiko takes Kongming under her wing and teaches him about the current world, which leads to Kongming's interest in contemporary music. Seeing Eiko's immense musical potential, Kongming vows to make the world recognize her and soon takes on the role of her manager.

Unsurprisingly, the music industry is unforgiving to those who make even the slightest mistakes. Still, Kongming is determined to accomplish his goals—even if he must utilize the war stratagems he famously used in his previous life!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I heard Three Hopes is supposed to be pretty okay and my favorite musou games are probably DW3:XL, Hyrule Warriors and PW3, so I suppose I should check it out.

To prepare I played through Three Houses on Normal/Casual (basically easy mode) and really liked it.

I named my Byleth "Blyat". I hope that carries over into Three Hopes

edit: turns out there's a thread for this game, sorry!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004208

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’ve been playing a bunch of DW3 lately on the Steam Deck. It’s so hard, but it’s great. It’s a lot different because the basic goons can really mess your day up. Just finished Musou mode with Zhao Yun on Normal. That is much harder than it sounds, when you’re starting from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My current favorites are Dynasty Warriors 3 and 5 for PS2, DW8:XL for whatever system you like, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 for PS4, Hyrule Warriors for the Switch, Fire Emblem Three Hopes for the Switch. So much fun.

Honorable mention to DW7 for doing a great job with the story of RoTK. If you just want to understand the overall events, that’s a great one.