Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyoru posted:

- The main characters can class change now.
- You can transform into monsters.
- Limited online (no local) 4 player campaign co-op, but the invited players need to have completed the mission first like in Nioh so don't buy this if you are in the camp where you want to co-op the entire campaign from the ground floor. There are challenge missions/boss battles that are multiplayer only. DQH2 is still mainly a single player game.
- World exploration is more "open" instead of being a mission select screen.
etc

If you liked the first game, it's basically an improvement in every way.

In comparison:

I actually found it a step back in a few ways. The new open exploration feels like a waste of time and while the game no longer is all tower defense but instead tries to create missions that feel "Dragon Quest" dungeon-style. Some of which are fun and some of which are 'teleport maze' or "stealth mission" instead. A lot of the mechanics feel a little awkward because they were designed around the DQH1 playstyle and in DQH2 they don't work quite as right.

It's still a lot of fun and if you liked the first you'll probably like the second but I wouldn't call it a straight improvement so much as a sidegrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
The RTK13 PUK got it's English release today. Does anyone have any impressions about it? Is it worth picking up?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is shopping/restoring life stones still a tedious chore in DQH2 because of slow moving unskippable 4 boxes of dialogue per interaction?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

drat I was kind of interested in trying Fame & Strategy but the drat thing is $47 up here in Canada. That's insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is shopping/restoring life stones still a tedious chore in DQH2 because of slow moving unskippable 4 boxes of dialogue per interaction?

They've sped it up a fair bit. It depends on what you're doing but most things are faster now at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of the PUK uh I dunno if this is intended but all this content that's "*This content is specifically for RTK13: Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack Bundle." is listed as free on the PSN store website.

edit: Turns out it's free regardless and you need F&S installed for it to kick in so n/m

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 25, 2017

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Oh hey guess who preordered off the squeenix online store because he thought that's how you get the DL code for the sweet-rear end DQ1costume when it turns out that you actually had to preorder on the playstation store :negative:

Good thing the game's open so I can't return it!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Achernar posted:

The RTK13 PUK got it's English release today. Does anyone have any impressions about it? Is it worth picking up?

I'm kinda 50/50 on it so far. On one hand, it does seem to have some pretty decent improvements in a bunch of ways, with slightly more in depth duels and debates, better character goals with the prestige system and something to do as an independent officer. I'm just not sure it's 35 dollars worth of improvement

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I can't find this info out anywhere so I'm asking here. In the ps4 pro version of DQH2 is says there's an option to change resolution in the patch notes. I can't find this anywhere in game. Anyone know where its at?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chachi posted:

Oh hey guess who preordered off the squeenix online store because he thought that's how you get the DL code for the sweet-rear end DQ1costume when it turns out that you actually had to preorder on the playstation store :negative:

Good thing the game's open so I can't return it!

Huh. My copy told me it unlocked for owning the first game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Only played like 2 hours but I'm pretty happy with DQH2 so far. Being able to hit circle to speed up dialogue means I don't dread saving or buying poo poo anymore like I did in the first. Combat feels more fluid? I think too, but maybe that's just me. I wish that blocking while targeting a monster oriented yourself to them though.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Maleketh posted:

Huh. My copy told me it unlocked for owning the first game.

You get the costumes of the main characters of dragon quest heroes 1 if you own it. The PS store bonus was the armor from the original dragon warrior.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'm kinda 50/50 on it so far. On one hand, it does seem to have some pretty decent improvements in a bunch of ways, with slightly more in depth duels and debates, better character goals with the prestige system and something to do as an independent officer. I'm just not sure it's 35 dollars worth of improvement

Yeah it's the price tag scaring me off for now. Hopefully the game will get a token discount during the summer sale.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What would be the best Dynasty Warriors game to play to get a decent idea of the overall story? I have DW8:XLCE for PS4 but I think that's all side stories and alternate what-if stuff, right? I played DW3 a lot, for the ps2. I have access to any of the Sony systems, and I don't mind going back a generation or two..

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

What would be the best Dynasty Warriors game to play to get a decent idea of the overall story? I have DW8:XLCE for PS4 but I think that's all side stories and alternate what-if stuff, right? I played DW3 a lot, for the ps2. I have access to any of the Sony systems, and I don't mind going back a generation or two..

Dynasty Warriors 7, then 8 to fill out some of the gaps.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Darth Walrus posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7, then 8 to fill out some of the gaps.

Thanks. Regular 8, right? Not XL

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

Thanks. Regular 8, right? Not XL
The PS4 edition of 8 includes both the base game and XL, so you get all the main storylines plus Lu Bu's and the side quests. It's just titled a bit ambiguously.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Urdnot Fire posted:

The PS4 edition of 8 includes both the base game and XL, so you get all the main storylines plus Lu Bu's and the side quests. It's just titled a bit ambiguously.

Nice, thanks. Is 7 better than 8 in any other ways, aside from having a more comprehensive story mode?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chinook posted:

Nice, thanks. Is 7 better than 8 in any other ways, aside from having a more comprehensive story mode?

8XL is better mechanically.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chinook posted:

That's a matter of opinion, but I think the general consensus is no.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're pretty similar, though 8XL did make sure that everyone has at least one EX weapon.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, 7 just has the best version of the story as it's been told so far, but 8 is better as a game. Not that 7 is bad.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I just received Dynasty Warriors 7 for PS3 and fired it up. I don't know why I was surprised, but the intro movie where the dude jump kicks a horse in the face (causing an entire battalion to collapse like bowling pins) really raised the bar. All while he's carrying (and dropping) an infant and running on walls, jumping from waterfalls, etc. Wonderful

https://youtu.be/2QjCKyD6x3g

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

I just received Dynasty Warriors 7 for PS3 and fired it up. I don't know why I was surprised, but the intro movie where the dude jump kicks a horse in the face (causing an entire battalion to collapse like bowling pins) really raised the bar. All while he's carrying (and dropping) an infant and running on walls, jumping from waterfalls, etc. Wonderful

https://youtu.be/2QjCKyD6x3g

Of course they don't show Liu Bei doing his best to kill said baby when it is all said and done.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Looks like that horse kicker was Zhao Yun and the baby was Liu Shan. Did Liu Bei really try to kill him at some point or do you mean he basically left him for dead when retreating?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hunt11 posted:

Of course they don't show Liu Bei doing his best to kill said baby when it is all said and done.

Remember that this was supposed to showcase Liu Bei's great Virtue in properly valuing a great general over a measly baby.

Chinook posted:

Looks like that horse kicker was Zhao Yun and the baby was Liu Shan. Did Liu Bei really try to kill him at some point or do you mean he basically left him for dead when retreating?

When Zhao Yun returned the baby Liu Bei threw him onto the ground, horrified that he had nearly lost Zhao Yun over something so trivial.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lu bei throws his kid to the ground literally

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

Remember that this was supposed to showcase Liu Bei's great Virtue in properly valuing a great general over a measly baby.

Yeah, I guess values were different back then. I remember when I tried to actually read a translation of the books (4 volumes, I couldn't finish), there was some guy who killed and fed his wife to Liu Bei, and then Liu Bei praised the guy for being so loyal.

Also:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 5, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Found it.

(gif is taken from the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, which is an all-around excellent retelling of the saga all the way to Zhuge Liang's death)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Liu Bei was kind of a trash idiot, and Jiang Wei was worse.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is really weird how much they try to paint Shu as the good guys. Like somehow Guan Yu was this noble hero despite repeatedly breaking promises made to an allied kingdom to the point that they said gently caress it and joined up with their enemies to kill him.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

Found it.

(gif is taken from the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, which is an all-around excellent retelling of the saga all the way to Zhuge Liang's death)

I might check that out. There are so many god damned names and events to keep straight that an overview like that would be helpful. I got dw7 for that purpose though, so I'll go through its story mode first.

Edit: Hey can someone explain why Dong Zhuo's name is pronounced Dong Zhwa? I mean, I understand that's likely how his name is actually pronounced, but what's the point of romanizing it as "Zhou", then? There will likely be countless other examples of this, as I go through the game

Chinook fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 5, 2017

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
it gets easier when you remember it's inverted from the western perspective of names. Dong Zhuo would be Zhuo Dong in America, and sometimes people have the same family name despite not being related.

Zhang is like, the ancient Chinese Smith. Zhang He, Zhang Jiao, Zhang Liao, etc. aren't related at all, just imagine they're Bob, Jerry, and Dave Smith.

From 7 forward, they try to do accurate Chinese pronunciations. I just don't question it because it's not a grammar rule I understand. I'm guessing they romanize it as such since that's sort of the pseudo official romanization, and going to phonetically correct would probably annoy people more than just adding the correct pronunciations - people are used to him being Dong Zhuo and not Dong Zhwa.

Not to mention there's not really a good way to type out the sounds that makes sense in English, and it wouldn't be accurate anyway. Soon Schwen seems to be the closest we can get with Sun Quan, but Schwen isn't really the right phrasing either.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I'd like to know why anyone made it "Zhuo" instead of "Zhua" in the first place. Same with Cao Cao, of course.

I'll get used to it, I'm sure. I pursued and cheesed Lu Bu, by the way. Red zoned my health and just spammed musou on him. No fancy horse reward like I seem to recall back in DW3. Oh well. :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How do you pronounce Cao Cao? Does it vary based on region? Because I listened to people say it in a chinese miniseries and a program on chinese phrases and sometimes it sounded like "ciao ciao" and sometimes more like "zow zow."

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Seems like Tsao Tsao is the way I've been hearing.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Chinook posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I'd like to know why anyone made it "Zhuo" instead of "Zhua" in the first place. Same with Cao Cao, of course.

Romanization is a hell of a thing basically. If you read some of the old copies of the Romance, written back when Wade-Giles was the predominant style Cao Cao's name would be written in English as Ts'ao Ts'ao. Or Tsao Tsao.

Translating languages with completely separate syllabaries is really hard

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
You know the bad jokes based on the fact that Japanese doesn't have separate L and R sounds?

It applies just as much to other languages to English, so we're fluttering about trying to make sense of it.

Still, I gotta say this method is better than just reading it out as normal. Cow Cow and Cow Pee make the game hard to take seriously, and you're already struggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

NameHurtBrain posted:

Still, I gotta say this method is better than just reading it out as normal. Cow Cow and Cow Pee make the game hard to take seriously, and you're already struggling.

I just fought a dude named He Man. :black101:

(which when pronounced correctly, still sounds like the Jamaican stereotypical "hey mon!")

Chinook fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

I just fought a dude named He Man. :black101:

(which when pronounced correctly, still sounds like the Jamaican stereotypical "hey mon!")

Wait until you meet Dong Tuna.