Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

This is all you need to know about the story so far for the Orochi series: DW dudes and SW dudes become total bros and stomp demons together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Yeah, on second thought I'm going to put a hold on that because holy poo poo 22 GB download :stare:. Gonna wait until next month on that one.

Still nice to know I can skip the other ones because I don't feel like game hunting.

If you have a 360, then you can get it on disk. If there is ever a XL for Orochi 3 and it makes it here, however, then you may be SOL on that.

EDIT: I need to get back into Orochi 3 and save my bro Dian Wei...

Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of Ancient China. There, I said it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 7, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I heard eurogamer say that bladestorm was really good a while back. Is it worth tracking down?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^
Dudes wearing shouty belts kicking the poo poo out of other dudes. Also, dirtbikes.

All this does is remind me that I need to get back on watching Kamen Rider W.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How much is Empires? I still have Warriors Orochi 3 on the backlog.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I meant in terms of price....

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Onion Rings posted:

Or we could split it and do $25 each :)

How many can share max? I would join if it three people at least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is the Musou mode like in 8? Is it like 7 where there was a contiguous story for each of the 3 kingdoms + Jin? I played part way into the Wei story in 7, then made the mistake of playing Warriors Orochi 3 and getting caught up in that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 16, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

abagofcheetos posted:

Is it just me, or is the story of 7 vastly superior than it is in 8? I just finished the Wei campaign, and first off it just ended really abruptly I thought, but overall I thought it was a kind of incoherent mess. It felt like they jumped around too much, and never really explained much or gave the motivation for what the hell was going on. A lot of the events were portrayed really half-assed I thought as well... for instant the Dian Wei death battle was terrible compared to 7. The Zhang Liao kills 5 billion men fight was atrocious, those two new Wei characters in that fight are like two of the worst characters in the entire game.

I mean, the game kicks total rear end, and feels amazing to play, I just wish the whole narrative was as tight as it was in 7.

I have to say I liked what I played of the Wei campaign better in 7, story wise. The gameplay is much better though so I suppose it balances out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only played part way into Wei in 7, and I do not really know the Three Kingdoms story otherwise. Should I look up 7s cutscenes sometime so I get extra context of what happens in 8?

Edit: or I can just read the drat history section in the encyclopedia...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 22, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Even if I really like DW8, I still found myself getting a used copy of DW7 to experience the story proper. (yes I know about the 2010 series I will get to it eventually shut up)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been playing DW7 for the campaign, and the way the story is structured really beats 8, though there are aspects of gameplay that I miss.

I figure that I could play 7 for the story then 8 for the gameplay. Also, is it just me or does Musou charge faster in 7 than in 8?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still can't believe how badly that part of the game was designed. This game was well supported with patches and stuff for months after release, I kept expecting them to make that part not bullshit anymore, but they didn't.

Its stuff like this that don't really make me want to give Ambition Mode a chance. Is it really that bad?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Policenaut posted:

Here's Sophitia

Just who will be next on Tecmo Koei's cavalcade of guest characters? Kazuma Kiryu? Lightning? Scrooge McDuck?

I am at work, but imagine me posting those comic book pages of Scrooge McDuck tearing poo poo up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is this game worth recommending without reservation, unlike the last game?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
After looking up some info I may get this game, since I do like One Piece. It sounds like the story is partially the same as WO3: You friends are being mind controlled, and you must use the power of friendship and punches to save them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played through a few missions of One Piece Warriors 2, and it is the most mook-murderingest Musou game aside from WO3. Not to mention that there are craploads of combos.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jibo posted:

A question about OPPW2. Do characters now only have one SP/Musou attack? I figured that the "form changing" SP attacks would be taken out with the addition of the Style attacks but after spending some time with Tony Chopper last night it looks like his Monster Point is completely gone as far as I can tell and that's a real drat bummer. Also Franky Shogun only shows up to spin around and fall over.

Still digging the game though but Chopper went from one of the most fun characters to one of the most frustrating to play pretty hard in the transition.

Also, does anyone know how to get the gold coins for the Crew Episode stages? Do I have to S rank them?

Not sure what SP attacks are, but each character should have at least two musou attacks, from what I seen: One in normal mode and one in style action mode.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Edit : nevermind

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 16, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Word of warning: the English version of DW8 for ps4 does not have the option to turn off the Depth of Field effect. Yet, anyway; I hear it was introduced in a patch so maybe we will get it too. Maybe.

Just picked it up, and despite that (and controller speaker voices. Thank god for external speakers) I like it so far, though I only played one mission. Didn't play too far into vanilla so I like that I can experience everything with the extra bells and whistles.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I am in just for more dudes on screen. Vanilla WO3, while lousy with pop in had an awesome number of dudes on the map.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Evil Canadian posted:

I was kinda surprised at the lack of "benevolence" in the shu campaign considering how much talk of Chaos and Ambition there is in the Wei campaign, right up until Zhuge Liang first appears and I have just hit a benevolent brick wall.

I thought that the Shu story in DW7 was weird. Liu Bei, for being the face of the faction was a almost a supporting character in terms of agency until Zhuge Liang appeared, then he actually became a supporting character and it became Zhuge Liang's show.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is it impossible to draw out Pang De in Tong Gate? I know you can complete the battle just fine anyway but I would like to see what happens at least once.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, this reminds me, why the hell does WO3 have Free mode? You can already use any officer in any mission, so I can't find out why it's an option.

So you don't need to walk around the base...? It really is meaningless.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain Taishi Ci to me? I am not familiar with the historical figure, but in both 7 and 8, all he does is fight against Wu once, joins and does nothing until he dies in a later battle. Couldn't they have found something for him to do in between?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chachi posted:

The Jin officer who is an insufferable whiny prick, yes.

...okay I did not play much of DW7 Jin story, but unless 'Chill to a fault' somehow became to be known as whiny, then I am missing something.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't think that DW8 storytelling is that bad, but I would tell anyone who is unfamiliar with the Three Kingdoms to play 7 first as it has a lot more context and some surprisingly good moments.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does DW8 PS4 able to transfer saves to the vita version? I need to send my PS4 and it would be nice if I could do that

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey now, the crossbow would be awesome if it wasn't so hideously slow. Ignoring that it is an Ancient Chinese Boomstick!

EDIT: That said, as it exists now, it blows.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 26, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pvax posted:

Just a heads up if anyone wants a copy of DW7 Empires.

Amazon sells the digital code for PSN and they currently have it for around $18. I don't think I've ever seen it for that cheap. NOTE: It's actually listed under regular DW7 page, but if you click on 'PS3 Digital Code' it's for the Empires version of the game. I can verify that it's actually DW7 Empires as I purchased and redeemed a copy successfully today.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-Warriors-7-Playstation-3/dp/B004HVKA9O

I have never played an Empires game before. Is this worth getting? My PS4 needs to be sent in for repairs and I do not care to get Xterme Legends on PS3 or Vita just so I can continue my DW8 game in the meantime.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

DW8XLCE protip: the scripting for the star condition in Wu's Battle of Nanjun is broken and you can't do it as the guy who's the "bait" in the plan. The enemy commanders that are supposed to charge you never do. Fortunately it can still be done as the other commanders.

Hope this helps someone avoid all the frustration I just went through.

If it is the battle I am thinking of, I got around it by catching the attention of the officers, lead them back to the place you are supposed to engage them WITHOUT fighting them, then attack.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I suspect it is a slow day.

I like 8 better for all the little combat and quality of life improvements (Holding down the call horse button to mount is a godsend), but yeah in terms of campaign 7 is a better package.

Also, I am playing the PS4 version, and yes it doesn't look that much better than the last Gen version, and it seems to struggle sometime, particularly during fire attacks. That said, the number of dudes it can handle is amazing and makes everything worth it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 13, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

King of the Cosmos posted:

Looks like a normal Red Hare to me. It definitely...stands out a bit more against dark backgrounds though, that's for sure.

That is actually a neat bit of continuity, actually; Cao Cao gave Red Hare to Guan Yu during his brief time in his army. Never knew it appears in the Shu story.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maleketh posted:

Same for me, although I freely admit that some character suffered from the transition. Sima Zhao :(

I liked his new weapon, and I thought it was a neat mechanic.

That said, a moment of silence for Ding Feng and his gloves.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't know about you guys but I never not have Havoc equipped.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is anyone having some trouble in Shouchun in the lu bu campaign? These generals are supposed to meet with other enemy generals. Normally in this situation they would beeline toward them, but they seem more interested in killing mooks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Doing the Wei hypothetical:

Who the gently caress is Zuo Ci? "What is that? Think this uprising is Sima Yi pulling the trigger on his plots? How cute. Here is a loving wizard."

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 19, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tae posted:

Zuo Ci has most of his story in DW7. And I think that's one of the problems is that you have to fill in a lot of gaps by playing the older DW's. Like, I totally forgot Zhen Ji was in the game until I did the hypotheticals.

Was his story in the XL missions? I only played the story mode in that game for all three kingdoms.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

redreader posted:

The game presents cao cao as such a wise and noble man. The chapter someone linked earlier on showed that that wasn't the case at all. I should really read the three kingdoms book but currently I'm reading other stuff while stuck halfway through water margin.

I think it is important to note that all of these people in history were assholes, to varying degrees.

That said, Cao Cao was apparently a good father to his sons at least. Liu Bei...not so much

http://3kfunfacts.tumblr.com/post/66876976357/in-three-kingdom-there-are-fan-saying-that-sunjian-was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There was a nice little DW7 callback in the Wei hypothetical ending that I liked. Dian Wei helping Xu Zhu till the fields :unsmith:

I was thinking of doing the Wu hypothetical, however...I am thinking I should do the Shu hypothetical now. I have a feeling that it is going to be PAIN.