Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

poor Uzas :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I will gather and post direct links to all the Doc Eldar Dr. Ukhari pieces so people don't have to dig through my post history.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kylaer posted:

Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I will gather and post direct links to all the Doc Eldar Dr. Ukhari pieces so people don't have to dig through my post history.

I believe you said you had no plans to submit them to BL, so would you consider uploading them to AO3 or Fanfiction or some other major sites where they'd be more easily archived?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
COS currently have two open submission windows going. I don’t know their stance on material that has been posted online before, but short of getting incredibly lucky with one of Black Library’s own open submission events they are probably the next best thing for improving one’s BL publishing odds.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

For the first time in 3 years I am attempting to tackle penitent. I tried when it came out in my dusty dingy basement library of my rental townhouse, in a depressive funk, the dead of winter and bounced hard off.

Today I set in the sun in the garden of my fully owned house with a glass of nice amasec whiskey as the first grasping rays of spring intrude forth in a much better place mentally and physically.

I expect to lose all hope

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 13, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It has one of abbnetts best set prices ever

Keep going

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

NihilCredo posted:

I believe you said you had no plans to submit them to BL, so would you consider uploading them to AO3 or Fanfiction or some other major sites where they'd be more easily archived?

This is my home on the internet and I'm scared to venture outside of it :ohdear: But truly, I don't care about publishing for money, that's what my actual job is for, but I do care about hearing feedback, it's a big motivator for me. If I posted to those sites would I be likely to reach more of an audience?

Here are the links to the old posts:

Story one, introducing the characters.

Story two, which I wrote before establishing the rules I follow in the subsequent stories, so there's some out-of-character stuff happening.

Story three

Story four, in which Dr. Ukhari trolls the orderly.

Story five, in which Dr. Ukhari interacts with the :admech101: (I am very proud of this one).

Story six part one and part two, in which Dr. Ukhari has slapstick shenanigans with another medical professional.

Story seven, which is mostly about menials and working conditions on the ship.

Story eight, in which the orderly goes on vacation.

Story nine, direct sequel to #8, in which the consequences of the orderly going on vacation arrive on the ship, and slapstick ensues.

Story ten, direct sequel to #9, in which I do CSI:40K and have a character crossover with Stillness Pax is the female Eversor.

Last Night On Call part one and part two, in which I deliberately break all the rules I previously established.

Last Night On Call is chronologically the last story, but was written fourth or fifth in the sequence and there's room for any number of stories preceding it.

The tone of the stories kind of seesaws depending on what I was trying to do with the piece, some are more about exploring the setting, some are more slapstick or targeted directly for laughs. As always, I love hearing peoples' thoughts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kylaer posted:

I am very much not the type of reliable author that Guy Haley is, it is incredibly difficult for me to sit down and grind out words without inspiration. My actual career is entirely unrelated to art and creativity, and in order to write productively I need to be in the right mental state and to have an inspiration to work from.

Usually I have either a particular scene I want to write, or a particular concept I want to explore, and then I figure out the supporting text until I can fledge out that scene or idea. For Stillness, my inspiration was the slow-motion duel, I could see that scene in my imagination before I got started, and everything else I built around it to enable that scene. That's why my pieces tend to be very short. When I'm lucky I get inspiration for additional fun scenes as I'm writing towards my original "target" scene, otherwise I just kind of grind through and rewrite as needed when I get better ideas.

I tend to write things linearly, starting at the beginning of the piece and working towards the end, going back and revising as needed or when I get better ideas for how something should flow. I rarely write outlines, which I am sure is a weakness of mine. I do not have the discipline to force myself to write, I have to want to write in order to accomplish anything. But when I'm inspired, writing is fun and almost easy.

I get where you're coming from. Getting the Muses to sing to you is the hardest part of the process in my mind, and it's pretty common even for professional writers to get stuck without inspiration. Authors who can sit down and write every drat day no matter what, are pretty loving amazing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kylaer posted:

This is my home on the internet and I'm scared to venture outside of it :ohdear: But truly, I don't care about publishing for money, that's what my actual job is for, but I do care about hearing feedback, it's a big motivator for me. If I posted to those sites would I be likely to reach more of an audience?

Well, you will reach a bigger audience as it would be hard to think of a smaller one. In terms of feedback, it's gonna be poo poo feedback because those are sites for the unwashed anonymous masses; it's quite possible that you'll get some nice reviews, they'll just be outnumbered 1:100 by "best story ever!" and "worst story ever!" white noise.

Instead, my main concern was preservation, in case Jeffrey goes the way of Lowtax or something. The big sites are doubtless scoured by crawlers and wayback machines and 10 years from now they'll be more reliably found than the .docs on my hard drive.

FWIW, I binged the story a few years back and just re-binged them and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well they stood the test of time, they're still an excellent and fun read. I think the main lore change is that dark eldar are associated with betrayal almost as much as with torture, so the Doc's strict respect for his contract stands out as odd, but this is not something the narrator would be able to notice or comment upon. Perhaps a short story somewhere around the middle could drop a clue that he was somewhat of a misfit for Commorragh.

Also, I think we don't really get to see him feeding on the pain and fear that surrounds him, and that was a missed opportunity to make the contrasts vivid, as well as making the episode where a patient feels betrayed by the orderly a more understandable cause for the events that follow.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Kylaer posted:

Here are the links to the old posts:

Story one, introducing the characters.

Story two, which I wrote before establishing the rules I follow in the subsequent stories, so there's some out-of-character stuff happening.

Story three

Story four, in which Dr. Ukhari trolls the orderly.

Story five, in which Dr. Ukhari interacts with the :admech101: (I am very proud of this one).

Story six part one and part two, in which Dr. Ukhari has slapstick shenanigans with another medical professional.

Story seven, which is mostly about menials and working conditions on the ship.

Story eight, in which the orderly goes on vacation.

Story nine, direct sequel to #8, in which the consequences of the orderly going on vacation arrive on the ship, and slapstick ensues.

Story ten, direct sequel to #9, in which I do CSI:40K and have a character crossover with Stillness Pax is the female Eversor.

Last Night On Call part one and part two, in which I deliberately break all the rules I previously established.

Last Night On Call is chronologically the last story, but was written fourth or fifth in the sequence and there's room for any number of stories preceding it.

The tone of the stories kind of seesaws depending on what I was trying to do with the piece, some are more about exploring the setting, some are more slapstick or targeted directly for laughs. As always, I love hearing peoples' thoughts.

If you ever plan on writing stories on the adventures of the former orderly in the service of the Most Holy Ordos of the God-Emperor’s Inquisition, I’d probably keep the old Doc Eldar as “Doc Eldar” and make the new one complete her degree and become Dr. Ukhari.

Also, I would read the poo poo out of it.

E: by the way I wanted to mention that your stories are the reason why my long-running Rogue Trader group has a dark eldar Chief Medicae.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 13, 2024

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warboss was a very fun book. I thought the finale was handled quite deftly for how many moving parts it had, but I'm sad Brooks wrote the same lame
but omnipresent farseer character again.

My kingdom for a different farseer...

It does really feel like he's channeling Pratchett more in this book than the first too it's benefit, and I really like the huge cast of characters and how sympathetic and cool they all are. Each could probably carry a book all their own.

I think I'd still recommend Prophet of the Waagh over this one both to people who don't care about 40k and just as the top ork book, but this one was an improvement over brutal kunnin.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 14, 2024

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I get where you're coming from. Getting the Muses to sing to you is the hardest part of the process in my mind, and it's pretty common even for professional writers to get stuck without inspiration. Authors who can sit down and write every drat day no matter what, are pretty loving amazing.

I've Found myself at work bored with nothing to do, and ended up writing fanfiction in a spiral notebook. Nothing with an epic plot (and my only attempt at 40k basically died after I couldn't figure out how to start... had a bare concept, but not much else), really just kinda throwing things into different situations and seeing how I let them play out.

I working my way back through Son of the Forest. It just really makes me want that meeting between Robute and Lion sooo badly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Grilled Beef posted:

Yep. To jump to film real quick: Everyone talks about how Kubrick was obsessive about shots and would go 509 times to get a perfect take, no one talks about how he ran bare bones sets and consistently made a ton of money. Michael Bay is praised as only of the only men in Hollywood who can run a $5m/day action sequence set and get what he needs. Clint Eastwood will go all day but he gets it in the can and comes in ahead of schedule and under budget. You know why Adam Sandler still has a career? Because he consistently makes a profit for his investors. You probably didn’t watch The Out-Laws, but Netflix paid $62m for it and it only cost $47 to make. Paul Blart 2 cost $30m, and it made $107m. Consistently turning out a profitable product matters.

It’s like the Moneyball scene. “Why do we like him?” “Because he gets on base.” Why does BL like Gav Thorpe? Because he sells books.

Oh I was being totally serious. The ability to do a creative project in a way that you are consistently on schedule, under budget, and profitable is a *massive* skill to have, one that is frankly far more important that artistic merit. You can say it shouldn’t be like that and I agree, but it is, and that is something that is actually quite difficult to master.

I think this caps off some really good points people have made. Ultimately BL publishes to make profits, not to win literary awards. When we, as people who I assume have mostly read way too much genre fiction, but also have at least some wider reading, discuss the subjective quality of different authors' prose, we are (I suspect) in the minority of BL readers. I can remember being 14, I would read absolutely any schlock that mentioned swordfights or any fantasy ideas I found at all interesting. I was not critical. Sure, some of the better written stuff lasted longer in my memory, but I paid the same price for it as the crappy stuff.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Well, you will reach a bigger audience as it would be hard to think of a smaller one. In terms of feedback, it's gonna be poo poo feedback because those are sites for the unwashed anonymous masses; it's quite possible that you'll get some nice reviews, they'll just be outnumbered 1:100 by "best story ever!" and "worst story ever!" white noise.

Instead, my main concern was preservation, in case Jeffrey goes the way of Lowtax or something. The big sites are doubtless scoured by crawlers and wayback machines and 10 years from now they'll be more reliably found than the .docs on my hard drive.

FWIW, I binged the story a few years back and just re-binged them and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well they stood the test of time, they're still an excellent and fun read. I think the main lore change is that dark eldar are associated with betrayal almost as much as with torture, so the Doc's strict respect for his contract stands out as odd, but this is not something the narrator would be able to notice or comment upon. Perhaps a short story somewhere around the middle could drop a clue that he was somewhat of a misfit for Commorragh.

Also, I think we don't really get to see him feeding on the pain and fear that surrounds him, and that was a missed opportunity to make the contrasts vivid, as well as making the episode where a patient feels betrayed by the orderly a more understandable cause for the events that follow.

Ah, I can get them uploaded somewhere more persistent, sure. Glad you like them. And Doc Eldar is definitely based on very old/limited fluff, the only real dark eldar content I can remember being available at the time I started writing was the fifth edition codex and a mention in Abnett's Brothers of the Snake.

I didn't really have an idea of how to represent the idea of him feeding in any way the orderly would understand; I did make him say some things to imply that he was, especially in story 4, but otherwise yes, it's mostly based on the reader knowing that's what the dark eldar do. I have kicked around the idea of doing some more delving into his backstory and perhaps fleshing out who he was before he got really incredibly bored and signed on with Jeremias, but at the same time I don't know if that would lessen the character. Thoughts?

Preechr posted:

If you ever plan on writing stories on the adventures of the former orderly in the service of the Most Holy Ordos of the God-Emperor’s Inquisition, I’d probably keep the old Doc Eldar as “Doc Eldar” and make the new one complete her degree and become Dr. Ukhari.

Also, I would read the poo poo out of it.

E: by the way I wanted to mention that your stories are the reason why my long-running Rogue Trader group has a dark eldar Chief Medicae.

Oh I love this idea :vince:

Is the dark eldar medicae a PC or NPC? Either way I'm so proud to have provided inspiration.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

He’s a PC, and has a decidedly more abrasive bedside manner than the original.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Ufthak has the potential to be scary, he just never needs to. Not much of a spoiler but:

The high point of the book is Ufthak being captured by dark eldar. The archon he speaks to figures out that you can torture orks by locking them in a cell and denying them a fight - you'd think this would be common knowledge after 10k years, but whatever. This prospect actually makes Ufthak truly angry, he threatens to make the archon suffer for it in a very un-Orkish tone, and when the archon leaves he makes an overture to the nearest prisoner.

I figured this was going to be where all of Ufthak's newly-found brainpower paid off and he'd have to prepare and act a longer-term plan, instead nope! The other prisoner is a throwaway joke, another dark eldar overrides the archon and puts Ufthak into a fight in the arena, which suits him just fine. Then he proceeds to beat all the named dark eldar characters fighting him at the same time.

Very much a missed opportunity, IMO.

I finished the book and I enjoyed it the most of the 3 brooks ork books, but I totally agree with this criticism. Prophet posits that orks are destined to paint the stars green because of their inherent nature and the strength of their ingrained worldview. Elements and scenes of brooks work play at that motivation, but instead what more often is the driving force is the coincidence of other factions being stupid and selfish and making it easy for the orks to stomp them. I think the mechanicus was portrayed the most richly in their dysfunction being weakness, but in this and warboss the issues facing the antagonists really are their own doing in super short sighted ways.

A bit more complexity and challenge on the part of the orks might have sold the fantasy a bit better I think, but they're still really fun books. Super glad I read them and they're an easy recommend to people with a passing interest in 40k.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 16, 2024

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I think the big thing is that Brooks portrays the orks from the inside, and perhaps so does Prophet (haven't read that yet) but at least in Brooks books, they're still dangerous. and it helps establish the best thing about the orks, which is that from the outside, the orks are totally terrifying, but from their perspective it's all a big laff. which with the old school basing on soccer hooligans and chavs, is pretty accurate. it also lets you have the orks go both ways, where as enemies they're creative, destructive, almost a force of nature, but from their perspective they're like a group of friends that goes down to the pub, drinks a bunch of beers, and then goes and fights random people. If you're one of those random people, they're a menace, a big group emerging out of the fog and beating you up for no good reason.
but they just see it as good fun, and don't empathize at all with their victims.
like with the last book against the dark eldar they actually do work together well enough to trap most forces to that one district, but the orks can jerry-rig an teleporter and then all wish to go fight more and it'll work, which is unbelievable and basically no one else would be able to do it. even against the mechanicus, yes they make unforced errors by being selfish and self-serving, but that's true of both of those factions. and also the orks, but they at least have the waagh energy to keep them all focused as long as there is a big ork to run things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/17/sunday-preview-all-together-now-waaagh/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Another slow pre-order weekend for books, only one book this time.

In this case it's Lord of Excess by Rich McCormick

quote:

The Emperor’s Children are among the most violently hedonistic warriors in the galaxy, living in pursuit of ever-greater sensation and gratification. The warband known as the Adored are no exception, but their leader, Xantine, is tired of petty raids on meagre worlds. When an Imperial bastion cut off by warp storms is found to hold a massive cache of priceless rejuvenat treatments, the allure of building a perfect fiefdom in his own image proves too great to resist…

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An announcement of a preorder in the future with no date on the pre order or the release date

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

An announcement of a preorder in the future with no date on the pre order or the release date

Preorder is this coming Saturday. Release is always one or two Saturdays after.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think I recognise the name. He's written some short fiction before right? So now they're giving him a shot at a book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Finished Malleus at last :toot:

Good poo poo but I am getting a skoche tired of Eisenhorn, just since I’ve now gotten through two novels and three shorts with the character. Any other strong newb recommendations?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's how BL usually works, prospects get to write one or two short stories and then maybe get a chance for a full novel.
And then sales or public interest determines if they get to write another one.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Stopping reading a three part story after the second book is wild, what kind of monster does that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fellblade posted:

Stopping reading a three part story after the second book is wild, what kind of monster does that.
It had an ending if not THE ending

I assume in Hereticus he’s even older and grimmer

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Finished Malleus at last :toot:

Good poo poo but I am getting a skoche tired of Eisenhorn, just since I’ve now gotten through two novels and three shorts with the character. Any other strong newb recommendations?

Prophet of the Waaagh is cool.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nice. I was also eyeballing some of these Sororitas books, are those any good?

I had already picked up Rites of Passage and this book is loltastic from the jump. I love this old bat, and I hope she beats a Space Marine with her cane.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Nessus posted:

I had already picked up Rites of Passage and this book is loltastic from the jump. I love this old bat, and I hope she beats a Space Marine with her cane.

That book has the only time in the entire history of the Black Library that an inquisitor sincerely wishes that there was an Ordo Malleus inquisitor there. It’s great.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

She's one of my favorite 40k characters and we really need a Chetta vs Trazyn/Orikan book because it would be perfection. Or even a team up.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I want a 40k video game where you play as Trazyn or one of his functionaries and where you design, build and improve a display wing in his museum.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Tesseract Labyrinth Phaeron 40,000.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I want to play a game in which you are Orikan trying to break into that same museum. You can gently caress the displays up or just move every piece 9 micrometers off.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

So basically Evil Genius, except instead of fending off spies it's Orikan

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fellblade posted:

Because BL never released the third part. That's what they did with the Dark Heresy RPG tie-in books at least.
Which was a shame since it was a Sandy Mitchell book and was pretty good.

I remember reading Rite of Passage and enjoying everything but the bits from the bad guy POV. Which were just so "Haha you see how EVIL I am?" that couldn't stand them after that posse had been introduced.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

Because BL never released the third part. That's what they did with the Dark Heresy RPG tie-in books at least.
Which was a shame since it was a Sandy Mitchell book and was pretty good.

I remember reading Rite of Passage and enjoying everything but the bits from the bad guy POV. Which were just so "Haha you see how EVIL I am?" that couldn't stand them after that posse had been introduced.
I believe fellblade was razzing me for wanting a break from Eisenhorn after two novels :v: Since there are three in the omnibus you see

Abnett is a great writer though.

Is Danie Ware good?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Gaunts Ghosts series and the Cain series are good to sprinkle in there since they both have a bunch of novels in their respective series. Maybe Night Lords?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

I believe fellblade was razzing me for wanting a break from Eisenhorn after two novels :v: Since there are three in the omnibus you see

Ah, fair point.

But I'm still miffed about the missing 3rd Dark Heresy book though. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Nessus posted:

Abnett is a great writer though.

Is Danie Ware good?

Decent but not amazing. I like the Sororitas books I've read by her but she isn't at the level of ADB or Dabnett.

Speaking of unfinished trilogies, I really hope David Guymer gets to wrap up his Iron Hands books. I really thought the first two were especially good space marine novels. Kardan Stronos struggling with his emotions was a genuinely interesting departure than the usual dour 'duty and courage' personality of most marines.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Well after all the talk of "Ghazhkull: Prophet of the WAAAGH" I went back to re-read it and I'd forgotten how funny it was in places. It really does manage to tiptoe that balance of greenskin seriousness and hillarious zoggin' lunacy. It has some great insights into what the Orks need to unite and still keeps the old skool football hooligan fun intact.

I'd completely forgotten about Ghaz headbutting a warp portal shut (because he sez it'll work) and Makari speaking Gothic out of nowhere .

I couldn't actually remember much about it, but I was a bit dissapointed with the ending and not quite sure what happened there. So they resist killing Makari and sending him back to be reincarnated to unite the waaagh and throw him into a stasis chamber where he can't try to kill himself, but then there's a roaring in the cell and... roll credits? . Does this somehow tie into other Orky books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dog_Meat posted:

I couldn't actually remember much about it, but I was a bit dissapointed with the ending and not quite sure what happened there. So they resist killing Makari and sending him back to be reincarnated to unite the waaagh and throw him into a stasis chamber where he can't try to kill himself, but then there's a roaring in the cell and... roll credits? . Does this somehow tie into other Orky books?

Ghaz has found them :getin: