Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I lurk this thread quite a bit, but I have a very long flight coming up, and I need a few recs if y’all don’t mind. I’ve read the Eisenhorn trilogy and liked it quite a bit, and I’m pretty aware of the lore in general. What are a few actually good reads that can be cracked into over the course of like 11 hours? Vaults of Terra series?

Sorry, I realize this is a pretty specific request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Hopefully he intends to come back at some point

Ha I do. Ravenor it is, thanks folks.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Philthy posted:

Hope everyone got their Vaults of Terra collection that just went up!

I managed to get one. For the record, it appeared online at 12:53 EST. I’ve never seen one release that early. Maybe worth remembering in the lead up to the least siege book.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Is it likely to hit an inverted bell curve on ebay where it's pricy now, cheaper in a bit and then appreciates in value or nah?

I have a little hardcover collection, and a lot of the older books like Celestine The Living Saint can go upwards of $250. And the siege limited edition books are the most valuable Warhammer books period, from what I can tell. Vol 3 will likely be over a thousand dollars US at some point. An entire siege of Terra limited edition collection could hit five figures going off what I’ve seen specific books sell for.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Nah ebay is perfectly safe they will always side with the buyer if you have an issue.

This is correct. eBay is risk free.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

If it makes you feel better, the price will shoot through the roof when the secondary market thins out. So now was probably the time if you were going to get the book at all imo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Iron Warriors are sick as hell.

That’s right

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Just wanna know what happens to Oll

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's a bit hard to say. They've had major issues with warehouse organization and stock recently that definitely are impacting the bottom line, but GW in general is the most successful wargames miniature publisher. To be fair though thats still really just a niche in the wider world of gaming, which absolutely swallows and drowns their entire financial output.

They may not be as niche for too long if everything goes to plan. Between Spacemarine 2, Cavill’s Amazon show, and the rumored call of duty crossover, that’s not niche stuff. Not AS niche anyway.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

These special editions being limited to 2500 or such feels like it’s stuck in like 2013 when demand had to have been lower.

I get having a limited edition for fun and those that want it, but constraining supply like that in 2023 just pisses people off. And leaves what has to be quite a bit of money on the table.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Five paragraph essay on why Logar was right

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Warden posted:

The man's level of productivity is frankly insane, especially considering how he lost the original manuscript of Honour Guard and had to rewrite the whole loving thing from memory.

That’s insane, but I bet the text that went to print was a better version than the original, just by the nature of writing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Never forget Ruinstorm Lion Yee-Yee rear end'el Jonson:

Hold up that’s the Lion?

Lmao

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

I had had a (wrong) idea that knight worlds were only discovered after the Hearsay

But yeah that was obviously wrong

They don’t come up very often so this is an understandable mistake imo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Finally, the book features an unexpected mention of cuckoldry.

This has been a punchline for at least 400 years. Shakespeare got a lot of mileage out of it, so it makes sense, to me at least, that it’d show up in a late medieval/early modern vibe setting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OPAONI posted:

I do miss that the penalty for being caught questing-while-female in Brettonia was to be sent on a quest. I always thought that was a really neat way to have a setting be thematically 'backwards' while allowing gender equality on the tabletop.

There was a lot of actually funny stuff like this in Fantasy. In the Witch Hunter’s Handbook, the test of demonic possession in a noble’s child was eating three full pieces of cake. If they can manage this task, they’re clearly free from the taint of chaos.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Is there any work that goes into the nature of the Eldar gods? Like, is there any lore about their fundamental nature or origin? Most of them are dead and Slannesh busted Khaine into pieces like a c’tan, but they don’t seem to be cosmic leeches corralled into unnatural bodies like the c’tan (obviously). From the outside they seem to be real deal, traditional pantheon-style gods rather than beings so powerful they may as well be considered divine.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think factions like the eldar could use a bit more fleshing out. They have a sort of vicious cycle where they don't really have many fun stories with cool characters to drive demand for more stories with cool characters so they don't end up super popular as a faction.

At the very least a bit more fleshing out of what the eldar gods even are would be nice.

Power option: break Isha out of Nurgles garden for a new huge centerpiece model that isn't for the ynarri.

I agree. I probably know less about the Eldar than any race except for Voltann, and they seem like they have a lot of things that could lead to good hooks if GW would just commit.

Isha isn’t a bad idea, especially since she functionally isn’t doing anything from a story perspective to my knowledge.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably because people love the lion.

Also the book’s effect on the setting. I’ve never seen a non-limited edition hardcover get so expensive immediately.

Most hardcovers get expensive on eBay eventually, but Lion book was expensive off the jump.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Broke: Tom Clancy foreshadowed 9/11

Woke: Dan Abnett foreshadowed 9/11

Bespoke: Deus Ex foreshadowed 9/11

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Read in a goonhammer interview that Nate Crowley is a huge ork fan and was not much of a necron fan before writing Twice Dead. Gonna check out prophet of the waagh after Brutal Kunnin then.

Kunnin is cool. I'm surprised how invested in both sides I am, I thought the mechanicus would detract from the ork perspective but it's almost like a tragedy where I'm rooting for both sides even if the conclusion seems foregone.

I’ve always thought the best genre fiction comes from authors that don’t particularly like a topic because they don’t hold certain things sacrosanct. IMO it’s how Obsidian made KOTOR 2 out of a rubbish IP.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Warden posted:

A thing I feel like some people might be missing is that being able to churn out books reliably and within deadlines is an incredibly highly-valued ability and can count for a lot more than "writes good books, but slowly, and missed deadlines".

I think it was actually one of the Black Library writers who spelled it out years ago online.

Especially when you’ve made a business model that publishes and prints multiple new books a month. For every ADB, they need multiple Thorpes to keep the ball rolling. Unfortunately.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Aren’t the Golden Daemons judged backward? Like all entries are judged according to painter errors and not due to matters of taste like color choices and such. Iirc it’s why smaller sculpts tend to win. Less surface area means less opportunity for error. I wouldn’t swear to any of this, I read it somewhere ages ago.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/27/discover-the-untold-story-of-the-siege-of-vraks-in-this-new-death-korps-of-krieg-novel/

This week's Black Library reveal is a new Death Korps of Krieg book, set on Vraks.

Obviously there's a collectors edition version.

hell yeah more Kriegers

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I think the Kriegers look awesome, especially with their under jacket armor. I feel like any strange association someone may have with their aesthetic evaporates once you learn their lore as dead-man-walking penitent soldiers.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

GWs handling of the Endtimes has traumatized me on the matter.

Id like to think GW learned their lesson with that episode.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Entirely fair
40k lore has just gotten better over the years imo, fantasy had the problem that they were afraid of advancing the story at all

There’s something to say about this, I think. WHFB’s plot didn’t advance very far until it did, but the setting filled in a lot over the years with more country analogues and characters and such. Even then, the WHFB world was/is very finite in a way that I don’t believe 40k is. The only thing that ever led to much of a setting advancement in WHFB was a meta concern that the line wasn’t selling well and needed a big shake up. The existence of The Old World tells me that decision was a mixed bag at best.

Another vibe difference between the two settings is the strength of humanity. In WHFB, the barbarians are literally at the gates and even with a grand alliance between the existing non-chaos factions, Archaon still leads chaos to destroy the world. In 40k, the imperium is arguably the strongest faction in the setting. They’re beset on all sides and may be declining (we’ll see what happens about that with the primarchs), but they’re still mighty and only restricted by crippling bureaucracy and plot requirements. Guilliman stepped into Nurgle’s garden and burned it half down. No version of that would’ve happened in WHFB since humanity and allies are always very much on their heels in that setting. I guess the one character that could’ve done something like that is Sigmar, but he didn’t.

The exception to this is the Vermintide games where a handful of random adventurers do more to fight the Skaven than entire armies. Those games are canon afaik, but they don’t square with the vibe of the setting in my view. Not that this is a bad thing, it’s a dead setting, who cares.

I guess my point here is I like WHFB a lot. Chaos dwarves are cool.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OPAONI posted:

He strikes me as a guy who's used to collaborative storytelling. His work in comics and other shared universes backs that up.

GW lore definitely seems collaborative. It’s been said itt before, but some of the worst GW writers are the best editors, so it appears that a lot of people have their hand in planning. There’s no telling how long the Lion has been on deck.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The imperium has to substantially win sometimes. It’d be boring otherwise

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The only constant is that no one faction takes a serious upper hand in the lore since they have little men to sell.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

It's nice when they flip the expectations over like that since it's normally the Necrons being portrayed as faceless, implacable horde and in this book they're just scared shitless and Battlestar Galactica-ing their way from the Cylons Imperium.

The funny thing about this is that one of the Necrons has done more to help the Imperium, intentionally, than just about anyone else in the setting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s possible the Lion lever got pulled a little quicker than the lore people intended for whatever reason. That’d explain the lack of follow up so far.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

From the new Custodians codex:

:getin:

People are gonna be so mad lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

People are gonna call them the golden girls and I support it

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

You can’t really have male SoB, that would defeat the purpose of the faction. They have male models in the line anyway. Preachers and such.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’ve read both renegade books, and it seems like it’s gonna be a cool side brand that tells isolated stories.

Maybe not a brand. You know what I mean.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Has anyone read Deathworlder? I haven’t seen anything about it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

Pretty much. Apparently the Custodes codex also sucks rear end, but for nerf reasons

A friends that’s big into the game says it’s dreadful

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/17/court-lelith-hesperax-in-a-new-special-edition-novel-from-black-library/

This weeks Black Library news is definitely not something I would've expected to happen.

Because it's Lelith Hesperax: Queen of Knives by Mike Brooks.

Guess Da Big Dakka gave him a taste for more.

Hell yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My read on the emperor is a lot of these concepts discussed aren’t very relevant to him. If the shaman mass-suicide origin is still canon, he’s more of a soul gestalt than anything else, so any concept of individual identity may or may not have any bearing on him. To me, it also explains how he can shuck off various personality traits. It’s the whole dropping bits of itself. No real point in this musing, I just don’t think these are questions that need explicit answers.