Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Back in my warham days I seem to recall painting a model of a han solo type guy called Kal Jerico. I read a comic with him in it (ages ago) and it seemed pretty good, had a sort of blackadder in space vibe to it. Are the novels any good? On saying that Wikipedia isn't helping me get the names of the books so they must be pretty old/unpopular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/08/necromunda-classic-stories-new-editions/

I'm going to pick up the Kal Jerico Omnibus and comics (fan of the character) but i'm curious about The Redeemer comic and the mad donna novel survival instict. Has anyone here read either of them, or would recommend any of the other books?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I just ordered the second Gotrek and Felix omnibus as well as City of the Damned. Going to break protocol and read City of the damned first - Gotrek and Felix in Mordheim is a book written specifically for me.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't get your hopes up too much.

Is it dramatically worse than Gotrek and Felix usually is? Because Trollslayer was fun and Skavenslayer was an improvement (it joined the short stories together in a more cohesive arc).

I read the AoS gotrek story and to be honest I wasn't impressed, but I think a large part of that is that I detest the age of sigmar.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Angry Lobster posted:

Sorry, I was referring especifically to City of the Damned, I found it boring and with pacing problems. Also, if you are just starting with the Gotrek & Felix series, take into account that City of the Damned was written much later than the others (and by a different author). It's a standalone novel and does not continue the plot of a prior novel, though. I read it alongside Road of Skull, and I found the later a much more enjoyable experience. Of the standalone novels, the one I really reccomend is Serpent Queen, a really fun read, and with a very different tone compared with the final books of the series.

If I recall correctly, the first two omnibus are all the ones written by William King, right? They are mostly fine, some definetly better, like Skavenslayer (probably the strongest one of the early series, by far). After Vampireslayer, William King stops writing the series and different authors take over (mainly Nathan Long and David Guymer. The only one I advise to skip is Orcslayer.

Thanks. I'm going to read them all eventually I expect, but its been my understanding that they're more adventure than a continuing narrative (aside from Slayer and Kinslayer which seem to be a conclusion to the warhammer stories) so my plan is to read city of the damned when it arrives and then finish my first omnibus.

And apparently they're sending me a copy of a black library celebration anthology, had no idea that was this weekend. That's neat.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 25, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Finally had time to sit down and read the Kal Jerico trilogy, spurred on by the new novel being released in August.

All in all, pretty good. Fun. Interesting side characters. But the writing, especially for Blood Royal, was rough. The obvious is explained and re-explained, lots of telling and not showing. All of Kal's dialogue felt like it needed one more pass through - It was clear what the writer(s) were going for, they just didn't often get it.

I saved the comics for last, probably some time closer to Sinner's Bounty. They're how I was introduce to Kal, it will be interesting to see if they hold up.

I'm waiting to see if the final old world stories will be collected in a fifth and sixth omnibus before starting a similar read through of the Gotrek and Felix series. Definitely planning on picking up Ghoulslayer and the Realmslayer script book as well.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I voted in the last poll (for Gotrek) and bought it - won't bother this time.

But the lack of one of the later Gotrek novels (Road of Skulls, The Serpent Queen, Kinslayer and Slayer) leads me to believe that we might get a fifth and sixth omnibus.

Or they left him out to give other stories a chance.

I hope its the first one.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

A lot of the stories I'd like to write are not the kind of things BL really wants to make books out of. Comedic Ork hijinks or Abhumans banding together to get one over on the jerkass baseline humans don't exactly scream "GRIMDARK ONLY WAR".

I'm still working on that Ork story. since I have no intention of submitting it, you guys might as well hear it's premise and judge.

A Kommando, a Loota and a put-upon Grot plan the greatest heist evah: looting a warhound titan.

I'm calling it "Sneakiest Fing I Nevva Saw."

You should submit that on the grounds that it has the best title I have ever heard.

If not to BL then to here, i'd read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
My copy of Sinner's Bounty arrived today but my free time is allotted to 5 squig hoppers at the moment, so i'll let you all know how it is when I get around to it.

I'm going to make a prediction that the story is absolutely not worth the price I paid for it, but the book itself is very pretty.