Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ok, I need to read this.

I read it a while ago. It whips rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Well at least it wasn't Dead Sky, Black Sun.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I always just figured that being a successful, well-connected and very rich inquisitor, Eisenhorn could get access to the higher levels of restorative medicine the Imperium is capable of, which might be sufficient to repair the damage.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ego-bot sold me their copy of the Grey Knights Omnibus and it's here! :toot:

I'm, uh, concerned about the quality of the books after reading Galaxy in Flames but also gently caress it, it's gorgeous and it's mine and it's all thanks to Ego-bot being a cool goon. Thanks!

There are 3 books in there. The first whips rear end and is the most metal thing I've ever read. The second is decent enough. The third is not great.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

ed balls balls man posted:

The first Ben Counter Grey Knights book in my head I remember being great. However, I must have read it like 15 years ago now? There is one scene I remember bugging me:

Don't they visit a feudal world and are nearly captured by a bunch of guys on horses? Some amazing setpieces in that book though and a great depiction of how they pool their powers together and through force-weapons.

They're ambushed by a feudal army, which sends cavalry at them. The cavalry get rekt, as you would expect, but while that's happening thousands of footsoldiers are able to advance without getting shredded by bolter fire and get into close combat in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the Grey Knights. The bit where they use psychic powers as a squad is what busts them out of the trap just as they're about to be swamped by the enemy's numbers.

I found it a pleasing case of showing (rather than telling) that space marines have their limits, and that a sufficiently cunning enemy can effectively exploit those limits even with relatively sparse resources.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Eisenhorn being smug about his poo poo being unbreakable and incorruptible when in reality it's nothing of the sort is pretty on point though.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

The Night Lords trilogy whips rear end. I'd read that first.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Ben Counter has written some absolute belters, despite himself.

The first Grey Knights book is quite possibly the most metal thing ever written.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Just finished Fire Caste. Would highly recommend.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

The part of Space Marine that stuck with me the most was when it specifically described the effect of the pain glove on the dude's dong.

Great book, would recommend.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

ABorderPrince on youtube has done full audio book versions of the Gathering Storm, and they whip rear end.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Jerkface posted:

titans fucken own

I love that the in-universe answer to the entirely reasonable question of why anyone would build something that's so huge and therefore a juicy target for naval bombardment is that titans :rock: can shoot back :rock:

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

https://archiveofourown.org/works/21251327

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Don't think I've ever read a good Ben Counter story. I know he had a rep for some truly ridiculous stuff with his Grey Knights book.s
And I remember being annoyed at the plot twist in Daemon World when I first read it and then I have never really bothered re-reading it since then.

The first Grey Knights book and Daemon World are both straight bangers start to finish. The rest are middling to terrible.

Facehammer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 21, 2022

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

orphean posted:

I AM THE HAMMER :black101:

poo poo rules hard.

I know right? The entire final act of that book is just the most loving :rock: anyone has ever committed to paper.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Telemachon got crack-ping'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

They tend to be parts of other stories rather than the focus in their own right, unfortunately.

The second book in the Ultramarines omnibus has a good one against the tyranids. The first Grey Knights book has an absolute belter of one as the opening set piece of the final act. The second Black Legion book has one against the Black Templars. The third book in the Space Wolves omnibus has a very flavourful one near the start. Salvation's Reach, fairly deep into the Gaunt's Ghosts series, is about one... if boarding actions are your jam.

There are at least two specific Battlefleet Gothic books, maybe more. They're some of the very first 40K novels the Black Library ever put out, if I remember correctly; that arm of the company might not have even been formalised enough to be known as that at that point. There is an excellent reading of the first one on A Border Prince's youtube.