Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arquinsiel posted:

I really don't get where you're coming from with this, those two stories stand out as some of the most interesting settings for me.

I agree on Hinzerhaus. To me, the Aexe Cardinal setting was really badly split. The forest group, and the trench group really felt like they were on different planets really. And each on their own could have been great, but I dunno, they really didn't come together well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Blood Ravens are loving stupid and their hinted at heritage story is on a par with the product of a 12 year old writing fan fiction. gently caress the Blood Ravens.

They do have a cool colour scheme though.

And, they are like Deffskulls.

If it ain't nailed down, they nick it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Or maybe they get into a fight with somebody who was hostile to them and they looted his corpse. Maybe the Inquisitor was being dick.

Or maybe They Steal loving EVERYTHING

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

A few of those items were lost in battle with xenos. Yeah, I guess the Blood Ravens are a bit douchey for not immediately shipping that jump pack back to the Blood Angels. Some of the others are a bit suspicious, yes, but there's no smoking gun.

You mean the literal and figurative smoking gun where they claim the got in a gun exchange but the BA have no record of? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

OK, there's that one. That's the one that's truly suspicious.

Add in all the other "How the hell did they get these?" and a pattern starts to emerge. It's like having a murder conviction. One piece of phsyical evidence (fingerprints on the murderknife) and a whole bunch of circumstantial with varying degrees of suspiciousness (suspect threatened guy with knife, suspect had burned clothing in his furnace, guy was seen around the crime scene around time of death)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Fiction is not non-fiction. Dawn of War isn't an account of something that actually happened.

Here's the "for literal children" explanation: Blood Ravens stealing poo poo started because DoW II had items and Relic saw it as an opportunity to incorporate mentions of all the famous chapters instead of having to make up a ton of boring items only from their made-up chapter with a mysterious, ambiguous past. Then somewhere along the way, some writer or someone noticed that this made them seem like a bunch of looters, so they put in subtle jokes to that effect because it's funny and also adds to the characterization of the Blood Ravens as mysterious, possibly disreputable, and short on materiel or relics from their founding.

Also, it's a good bit of comic relief, which 40k really bad needs, considering the orks are the only ones, and even then, they are pretty loving grimdark too

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Honestly I see the Tau race not as misfits but as a missed opportunity. Games Workshop decided W40K needed an optimistic race because the grimdark gets really stupid when you have 15-year olds screaming FOR THE EMPRAH and WAAAGH! all the time. They came off initially as the United Federation of Planets in the 41st millenium, which many players didn't like. I think none of the writers knew what they were supposed to do with these guys, so they are steadily making them as grimdark as everybody else.

They're the only remotely reasonable people in the galaxy, so they are born to be its stand-up comics, if the Orks are the clowns.

What about the Salamanders?

They're the galaxy's straight man I swear.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for all the chat on this! So is Farrer #3 behind Abnett and ADB?

I'd put Sandy Mitchell at #3.

His Dark Heresy books were quite good I felt.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Cain is kind of the opposite of Flashman, in that Flashman is a bastard (who knows he's a bastard) who is thought to be a hero, while Cain is a hero who thinks he's not. Ciaphas Cain is more like a mash-up between Flashman and Horatio Hornblower.

Though I don't mind because the Hornblower books were awesome and I would read any 40k ripoffs of it in a second. The Imperial Navy is clearly meant to be the Royal Navy in space anyway, down to the press-gangings and Hornblower's constant fear of court-martial and execution if he ever screws up or isn't aggressive enough.

Read the two Battlefleet Gothic books.

Feel sad he never go to complete the trilogy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Azran posted:

Isn't there a Steel Legion/Death Korps novel where they fight Tyranids?

EDIT: Or maybe it was Tallarn troops.

It was Tallarn, it was called Desert Raiders and it was shite.

E:fb.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Also, didn't alot of the villagers die in the attack?

I like Traitor General cause it;s only time tons of Ghost's don't die. Other than Blood Pact.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Thinking of it this way. Romantic chivalry is a knight in shining armour. Real chilvary is a knight covered in poo poo murdering.

King Arthur vs Game of Thrones

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Dan Abnett has started a new trilogy of books focusing on one of Eisenhorn's pet blanks, Beta Bequin. She has acquired this cuff that can switch her blank powers off, making her normal (thus temporarily giving her a soul - what philosophical implications!). I can understand the need for such a plot device, given that she's the protagonist of a spy thriller and she can't do much if everyone wants to puke in her presence, but this device takes away the curse of being a blank, and in the 41st millennium everything is a curse, even the blessings.

Frauka had the same device in Ravenor

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up you humorless dolt.

So this 40k relevant: you're about as clever as an Iron Hand trying to be a comedian.

I dunno. Iron Hands could at least have so unfunny it's funny going for them

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Isn't he the guy, who among other things, vigorously denied the Blood Ravens were thieves because there wasn't an explicit passage saying they were, even thought there was alot of poo poo that outright said they stole things? I think he's just threadshitting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

"Query: why do humans emit salt water under distress? Do they believe salt water will deactivate a 50 terawatt laser discharge? Response: Because they are tiresome and weak. All glory to the machine."

I'd love to see what he'd do to a heckler.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

Hey Iron Hand! More like Iron Warrior!

Human, how about I use my omnissiah gifted metal hand to introduce your inferior human windpipes to pain?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

So Lion'El was irreverent, humorless, and... stupid?

It was a legitimate question.

Humorless, social inept, pedantic, annoying, missed the forest for the trees, etc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Was'n't there already one called xenology or something?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Isn't/wasn't the chainfist's description that it was used to carve bulkheads in ships during boarding actions/exploring space hulks?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

But they really don't have special vehicle designs. They seem to ride around in regular Astartes craft. Otherwise Forge World would already be selling them.

Imperial ships have gigantic interiors for stuff like control rooms because they're megalomaniacs. The regular parts of the ship are described as cramped and crappy, just like the rooms in an actual ship.

"Demigod" means half-god, half-man. The key to the mythic concept is that they are liminal beings - having aspects of the divine but at a scale that can interact with normal people and be part of human society like a peer instead of like a literal god that interferes with human affairs through tricks, disguises, and intermediaries, and with human attitudes and interests instead of the unfathomable whims and immortal motivations of the gods.

Hercules wasn't a 20 foot monster that shot fire from his two heads. He was a dude badder and stronger than any normal person because of his divine lineage, but in the end he was still a man who interacted with normal society, not a monster completely out of touch and out of scale to it.

Didn't he also hang out with a small jewish man nicknamed Pretzie in 70's new york?

Don't deny it, you'd read Guilliman in New York too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Played by Robert "Girlyman" Strong

Of course, his Ultramar accent is so strong that he's dubbed over by Leman Russ.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Are your arrows pointed the wrong way, or is Horus playing a con longer than virtually all the Warp? Is "dead as poo poo" a con?

Wrong way.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can confirm that it's a Salamanders book by Nick Kyme and therefore not worth reading

I remember reading a short story anthology, where there was a Kyme Salamander Story, which had a crossover with ADB's Night Lords which had their own short story in the anthology. My god the contrast was huge.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Vulcan is a tech geek, there's a prophecy around something called the artifacts of Vulcan that he will return once his chapter finds all of them. So far they have a melee weapon, something else and a friggin capital ship.

Also he's the only primarch to be not an out and out rear end in a top hat, and his chapter are pretty much one of the least dickish. As in actually giving a drat about civilians.

Also, the spoiler about Vulkan's fate up there? Pretty sure that was a joke.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Question about Black Library e-books. How does it handle the footnotes of the Ciaphas Cain series?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pretty sure he's joking there...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I remember right around Battle of Macragge box set, they did a mini-campaign in Canada. Four weeks, with non-imps vs Imps. First week was Orks, then I think chaos, then tau(maybe?) then Nids.

Imps got curbstomped.

But, that's where Death Leaper came from. Originally this cheesy Space Marine Sargeant out for revenge against this one mutation. It kicked so much rear end it ended up in the nid codex.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

That was specifically a fight over a single planet, and was a worldwide campaign as well. It was deliberately very limited - they'd learnt the lessons of the previous campaigns (including the equally lovely 'nemesis crown' one for warhammer) so medusa V was to be destroyed by a warp storm immediately after the campaign.

I remember noone even giving a poo poo about it in store, including the staff, let alone online.

Really early campaigns (Battle of Antioch) got written into the fluff (and arenow written out), but that was the mighty Jervis Johnson at the helm. Te EoT campaign would have been difficult to follow up, but the storm of chaos could have been awesome, and even though Grimgor coming out of nowhere to smack Archaon up was cheesy - it's also Orcy as gently caress and was totally awesome.

The whole Valten debacle was lovely though, as was manfred being turned away by wise words from the grand theogenist (who had a loving excellent story for the campaign - killed by Archaon after a battle report in white dwarf, resurrected by Belmakor, used as a battle standard, stays sane through sheer force of will....).

Actually, not Medusa V. This was actually a couple years before then.

After doing some looking it was in 2004, and was called Rise of the Swarm.

lovely forum link to ti I guess

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

Oh cool!

I remember death leaper being in medusa V though - the whole point of the tyranid campaign was getting that biomorph back to the reclamation pools?

I think so yeah. But it debuted in our Canada Only White Dwarf!

(Which was like a 5 page booklet included in white dwarf that cost us an extra buck or two).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

Cool, I didn't know the various white dwarfs were that different back in the day. Are they all identical now?

They are up here at least. We still got the US whitedwarf, but with a little extra. But it no longer exists, so I assume so.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Rat posted:

Not really. In one Space Marine short story anthology, he writes a story about his Salamanders running into the Night Lords, from the Salamanders' perspective. In the same anthology, ADB writes it from the Night Lords' perspective. The contrast is like going from being thrown into a pile of feces to being thrown into a nice, clear, temperate swimming pool.

Man, I remember reading that. Read the Salamander's story first, and was like "What is this poo poo" then go to the Night Lords one, and my brain hurt from the contrast.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

UberJumper posted:

So the Salamanders are going to join the other legions ruined by terrible writing?

Descent of the Angels is one of the most :psyduck: books i have read in the HH series. I know it is universally detested but i just had to read it. It really isn't the same level of battle of abyss stupidity/awfulness and the writing screams of someone uncomfortable with 40k writing. But I am only half way through it, and it just feels so bizarrely out of place.

Sorry to break it to you, but in they already are ruined by terrible writing. Of Nick Kyme.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

What in the world does "Not the Booker" mean?

They're worst of list I'd imagine.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Half serious, but why don't any of us try out for their submission contests. I'm sure we could write some decent short stories at least.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nephilm posted:

What's the story here?

Just read the first review

Tl:dr He stole some guys Iraq War Memoires.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

TheStampede posted:

Yeah, the idea that there is and even greater all-seeing, all-knowing force above even chaos or the Emperor is just pushing it. You can't have the most ultimate, powerful force in the universe, then introduce another most ultimate, powerful force in the universe, and then ano...

Eventually, nothing has an significance if it's just going to get trumped.

And yet here we are ina merry go-round where the biggest threat is chaos, no wait tyranids, no wait necrons no wait chaos again.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

What I don't get is why everyone ignores the Salamanders. Always have been about the citizens since the great crusade, and still are for the most part.

EDIT: Wait, forgot about Nick Kyme.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 24, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Man, just a thought, but if GW had one of the Primarchs come back, and start making waves, they could write a bit where some high lord of terra orders his assasination or some such thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Has Pertuabo gotten any characterizing other than really good at fortresses and hating Rogal Dorn?