Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if this little line in Valdor will ever be used for anything

quote:

There was a…sickness. We could all taste it. I have encountered similar sensations since, when fighting other enemies of allied origin, but then it was new to me. It generated little but disgust in me and my brothers. For the Thunder Warriors under Ushotan, it seemed to have a different effect. They thrived on it, at least for a time. They had, I surmised, the capacity to magnify whatever foulness they faced. That ferocity was useful, but it had its weaknesses.

- Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

Interesting since the Emperor is described as being able to handle and amplify raw warp juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Azubah posted:

Maybe thunder warriors got a boost when around a blank?

I interpreted it as being around chaos juices the Thunder Warrior's up, a different design path than the Marine/Custode/Sisters path of either being immune or turned off or repulsed by chaos, the Thunder Warriors get high on that poo poo and go super sayien..... given how some of their background paints them as very violent and unreliable. I think there's some lines about them murking some warlord with Big E and interrupting a chaos ritual and a bunch of them just loosing it and being put down after the fact.

Big E also gets described as like "touching the warp" and being able to directly manipulate it so maybe his first go round of genetic superfreaks was down the same path he walked until he was like...ehhhh maybe they dont have the same resolve I do so lets make the next batch repulsed by it? That word magnify in that context has been used similarly to describe big E

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Theres a thread on reddit about what the Emperor stole from the Chaos gods on Molech and I gotta think it was just the explicit explanation and knowledge of how chaos interacts with psych races and the fact that every human being was a huge cannister of gasoline. He probably promised them humanity and bails on the deal as soon as he gets out to save humanity

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So what's the furthest point of lore currently? Is it still Guillman channeling the emperor in nurgles garden or is the new DoF after that?

I recall them reshuffling some of the timelines

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah primarchs have been cloned but the most succesful one also had a soul stolen from an alternate universe iirc. Just cloning the Emperor would be useless since it's the soul not the flesh that makes him Him. Like even during the Heresy he's essentially just a soul that can take human form

Woah what universe is this all from

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The Dark Coil books are going up tomorrow? I forget what time they ususally drop.....what is it like 11AM EST or something?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I’ve re-read Penitent again and I with the End and the Death for context I have a new dumb pet theory. Spoilers for both books.

Valdor has a bunch of Blood Angel clones with wings, possibly even clones of sanguinius himself since he has a whole statue hall of statues of him and the space probably connects directly to the imperial palace since it’s lousy with custodes and even has their ships.

The question is what the space is for and I have a theory: I think it’s a prison of sorts for soul of either Horus or Sanguinius. I think the big reveal is going to be that Sanguinius kills Horus either by going deep into the black rage or Horus does it to him or possesses him as a final act. I think the myth that the Emperor shed the last bit of his humanity to destroy his favourite son is going to be twisted so that he does it to Sanguinius.

I think that the Dark King is still in play and that if either Horus/Sanguinius or the Emperor fully dies, the other automatically ascends, destroying humanity in the process and that Valdors big project is a Throne analogue to permanently contain the opposite aspect to the Emperor.

Penitent & EatD spoilers

I also skimmed Penitent recently and the King in Yellow (Valdor or Logar?) has got a little pocket dimension in the warp going carved out with Enuncia. He's got legions upon legions of souped up blood angels who do nothing but battle chaos directly in an apocalyptic battle. Bequins blankness cancels out the Thirst and the Rage so I have a feeling the blank program is to generate blanks strong enough to control rage'd out space marines and use Enuncia like legos. There's something like a Legion of blood angels, fighting directly into a hole between the warp and reality a-la the webway portal using the thirst to beat back the darkness and the blank program exists to control and command the blood angels while having them use Enuncia to construct Pandemonium. I wonder if Pandemonium is the former City of Light or whatever alien city existed as the first hub of humanity in the webway prior to humanity being pushed back all the way to their warp gate.

quote:

The angel coughed, and spat out black clots. ‘You take it away,’ it said. Its tone was flat, no more than a whisper. ‘What do I take away?’ ‘The Thirst. The Rage and the Thirst.’ ‘Are you Astartes, a Blood Angel?’ I asked. The angel hesitated, as though it didn’t know how to answer, or did not understand the words.

Maybe they're trying to juice or help big E by protecting the gate from the other side of the throne?

quote:

You know your name,’ I said. ‘And you know about nulls.’ ‘Yes,’ he admitted. ‘But it is all a fog. There was a war. No beginning or end. I was wrought in it and for it, my rage bred to be turned upon the foe. A calamitous thing. The end of all things. I wore red.’ ‘Who fought?’ ‘I did.’ ‘But for what cause, and against–’ ‘I do not know, null. Just a blur of red. Of flame. Of death. My enemy was whatever I saw. Thus I was commanded.’

The Angels may not serve entirely voluntairly, he can recognize Enuncia. Perhaps if an Angel is lost to the rage they stick him in the basement/webway which connects to the real world as a sort of gatekeeper?

quote:

‘Can you read the text?’ I asked. ‘The main body of the book?’ He turned some of the leaves slowly. ‘No,’ he said, after a moment’s consideration. ‘But I know the script,’ he added. ‘Not to read, or comprehend, but I recognise the marks. When I was chained, in the dark place under the world, this was the script used there.’ ‘Used? Used how?’ ‘I remember little,’ said the angel, ‘but I know these marks. They were used to make the hexes which bound us and made us serve. A language of command. I’m sorry, I know no more than that, and I cannot tell you what the words say.’ He passed the book back to me.

The King in Yellow is pretty close to realizing whatever his goal is. He's got a library of Enuncia and he's starting to cut loose ends

quote:

promised. He comes close to fruition. The City of Dust is built, and his hosts assembled. The hour of his triumph is upon us. The universe that you know, and that I know, is about to change forever. But he has reneged. He keeps all power to himself, all authority and command, all secrets and instruments of transmutation, all reins and harnesses of Pandaemonium. He shuts us out. We are of little further use.’

re:

jadebullet posted:

Wait, the guy who wrote Fire Caste wrote other books and they are somewhat connected?

Neat. I thought I was the only one who liked/had read Fire Caste.
https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 8, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah so my theory is:

Valdor really is the king in yellow, it's not a fake out. After emps is placed on the throne and pretty much everybody else moved on Valdor didn't because he is constitutionally incapable of doing so. He just decided his only option was to continue the emperor's plan and hope that one day either emps was resurrected or try to resurrect him.

So the city in Penitent is the emperor's plan 2.0. Emps wanted a city in the webway protected from the warp so Valdor built a city in the warp and created what was needed to protect it. He's got some plan to resurrect the emperor and pick up where they left off before the heresy. The question is whether he did this all on his own or if these were the emperor's final instructions. I think it would be more grimdark if Valdor did this all on his own and the end of Pandemonium is Eisenhorn and friends shutting this poo poo down and Valdor finding out somehow that the emperor doesn't want what he's done. There would be some real depths of despair to mine there.

Oo nice

I also think whatever happens in Pandemonium, the end game caused the great Rift

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
tbf the custodes reference is not capitilized and are refered to as custodians....so that would be a cheeky little bait and switch for me.

I think the King in Yellow is Lorgar though, check this out
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/uom055/alternate_theory_on_the_yellow_king_full_spoilers/

So when does the Dark Coil stuff get posted? cause you can get in a few mins early IIRC and its like 1PM EST or 11AM EST? I forget what tiem they drop those LE's

def picking up the Rogue Trader just to have it as a coffee table piece

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Genefather and the characters and plot and setting are doing alot to carry my interest bc the writing is not great op

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so the LE is going at....10AM GMT and I gotta wake up at 5:45/6AM EST to make it?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
found this old link, its real interesting and cool
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Blackcurrant91/The_Grand_Warhammer_Cosmology.

I think the Emperor is the only human to grasp the skein and higher dimensions, recalling his conversation with Sanguinius about his visions and their outcomes. He wants to own all of the threads and eventualities and drive humanity to an outcome where they get to exit their realm into a safer space like the webway

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 22, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
book good, took me about 3ish hours to get through.

HEAVY SPOILERS

Mostly just characters, not specific plot points.

Rushed the first read through to be honest but it was good. It was fun. First impressions:

Seeing Ahriman was awesome

Didn't quite get the Samus stuff apart from Loken running from him symbolizing humanity trying to outrun its fate

God-Emperor the God Emperor version was pretty cool. the description of the custodes being used and than burnt out was loving awesome. The sphere with his guardians was cool to see. His focus was cool

Malcador melting on the throne RIP

I have not minded John and Oll to this point very much but having them so injected into the climax of the setting feels awkward and weird. The scene between Oll and the Emperor was....ok. I quite like the dressing down and enjoyed how big E is painted as an arrogant, impatient boy.

Having Loken injected into the final showdown also feels very contrived and mary-sue ish. Did not enjoy that whole situation.

I enjoy Constantine having like 7 chapters in this book and like approx 30 seconds of time pass? Felt like the dropped the spear angle after opening really hard with it but I think they do a great job getting inside his head

I thought the Dorn stuff was going to drag and I actually really enjoyed the characterization and such.

Erebus and Enuncia cool, gotta re-read that section, but he is being set up to be quite the badass.

Where is Talos, the Night Lords raptor is meh.

The whole Ferrus/Angel scene was out of like left field for me. I quite like the discussion and how it really underlines that the warp and reality are bleeding together but some of the dialogue could have been......better? And we could have used someone who mattered more than Ferrus perhaps? but its a nice nod to him.

The Fo genevirus situation and pretty much all the interactions between the selenar and the custode I felt like could have been done better. I'm curios as to who Fo was in the past, he seems very familiar with Malcador and he too used to rule a realm. I wonder if he himself is a perpetual who said no. It was alot of like OMG LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!?!? people wont like this!?!?wow you arent doing what you said?!?! and than very, very contrived ~ tricking~ of the custode really didn't do it for me.

Dark Angel chapters were nice little breaks from the action

Obviously need to sit down and re-read it through and let it breath

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I started at 12 and went to bed at like 3:45 so it was closer to 4 tbh

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would read apl the Siege novels just for the set pieces and flavor honestly. I thought parts of the first wall and mortis were particularly forgettable. I think there were maybe 5-7 scenes between the two books that felt appropriately epic and mythological, but it's worth it reading them once just for the complete picture. This is the genesis of "modern day" 40k after all and if you're a lore fan, worth the trudge imo

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Miguel Prado posted:

What happened to Sigismund that he’s 1000 years old and not 10 000?

We are returned

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kylaer posted:

EATD2 spoilers of course, about the Anabasis teams:

Did anyone else think that other than Khorne attempting to convert Rogal, there was nothing really to indicate which of the Pantheon were focusing on the other three branches of Anabasis? Horus came out and said it, of course, but the challenges the other characters faced and actions they took didn't seem to resonate with the powers he named. Before Horus said which was which, I was guessing Slaanesh for Sanguinius, Tzeench for the Emperor, and Nurgle for Valdor. I also thought Sanguinius was trapped in a completely illusory environment, the same as Rogal, since there was no mention of the Vengeful Spirit or the Sons of Horus being all mutated and warp-corrupted, with everything instead being just as Sanguinius remembered it from his days on the ship, and I guess that turned out to be completely wrong.

But anyway, I thought since Sanguinius was winning handily, that was actually Slaanesh spinning an illusion of glory and triumph to get him addicted to it. Tzeench for the Emperor because of managing to corrupt Custodians, which should have been impossible and seemed like the direct handiwork of the Changer of Ways itself. And Nurgle for Valdor because being stuck in a horrible pit of rotting flesh and demons seems fairly Nurgle-ish.

Did anyone else pick up some other impression from it that I missed?

I love this reading and got zero of it when I read it myself but its a great angle and one i think they could have done alot with.

Re: Big E and Dark King I think the Emperor is the god of like purpose or focus or reason. Like think about the way he acts as a focusing crystal for power and the astromotician and when hes railing straight lines of pure chaos right from the chaos pile and maintaining perfect focus and calm. He is so singular in purpose and focus and he believes every atrocity is permitted to accomplish his end goal. He's stronger than the big 4 because eventually all the people taking skulls, infecting their homies, lying and sucking and loving each other across the galaxy are all doing it FOR something. It all rolls up to him, the sense of duty and purpose, of performing an action for something. He has always existed and exists in many, many other multiverses in the 40k universe but has not materialized in our specific 40k universe yet because of reasons we get in the 3rd book.

thnx for reading

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 8, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Just finished reading the last book in the 12 part Beast Arises series.

F

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Valdor is a great look at the post unification pre-imperium world tbh. Hard reccomend

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We're probably gunna get the scouring but I would love for unification wars to be the next big thing. I guess the new dawn of fire stuff might be it too, but boo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
See you nerds next weekend

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm back and not clicking any spoilers

does anyone have the link for the TEATD3 store? or should i just hit refresh on new and exclusive like alot

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Philthy posted:

Yah, they moved the link from the store front. No queue yet. Goes up in 1 hour.

I'm just refreshing the pre-order page.

god speed fellow goon

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am also in the USA Paused Queue

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Message last updated: 16:17
We have a high number of customers on our webstore, due to this the queue has been paused for a short time. This will resume again shortly. Thank you for your patience

lmao

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Message last updated: 17:09
We have a high number of customers on our webstore, due to this the queue has been paused for a short time. This will resume again shortly. Thank you for your patience

Time has stopped

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
sold out rip

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
big rear end spoiler stuff

so is Loken Samus?

Also gently caress Erebus, seriously.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I need to re-read it since I banged through it last night, but I felt like there were hints that a reconciliation could have been made possible had the Emperor not excised his emotions and gave Horus an opportunity to talk or come back into the fold. In the begining of the duel it seemed like there were some spots where something could have happened.

Watching Loken and Horus have their father-son heart to heart and the emotions of that moment causing Horus to let his energy go was a cute play though.

That does make complete sense about Samus being born

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I'm pretty sure Horus muses about how he offered playful parry or something and wanting to talk to his father but Big E tries to take his head off. I gotta re-read it.

Also, no fuckin Pandemonium / King in Yellow plugs although we did get an Ennuncia sighting

e: Mildly disappointed it didn't open or close with "I was there the day Horus slew the emperor"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Oh, I read it wrong. I thought he meant in the afterword.

I'd say the Alpha Legionaire who got brain-jacked by Cyrene, whose name escapes me and I am too lazy to look up, and was last seen with a mine clamped to his armor in the tunnels below the palace.

Pech or something

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Oh yeah before I forget, someone recommend some good 40K audiobooks to burn future Audible credits on.

As a frame of reference, I already have:
The Infinite and the Divine
Lords of Silence
Assassinorum: Kingmaker
Brutal Kunnin’
Ciaphas Cain: Vainglorious
Rites of Passage
Servants of the Inquisition
A bunch of Adepta Sororitas audiobooks

Watchers of the throne and that whole series.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2024

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I recently read Steel frame which has a great setting that clearly draws from 40k Inspo. Anyone got any non 40k books they like that have similar tones? I'm ok with a fantasy or sci-fi setting but like you know, in the bones of a crumbling empire, rage against the dying of the light etc etc?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nessus posted:

Less jokingly, I finally got an e-reader. Is the OP's recommendation for 40k books still good? Any other suggestions? My main experience with the setting is the Ciaphas Cain books as well as Kim Newman's WHFRP book about Jack the Ripper in the Reik.

Also, should I go on amazon or BL for The Best Experience (I got a Fire)?

Please read eisenhorn OP

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nessus posted:

Understood. Is the Omnibus a good call on this one?

Yes and than read ravenor after. Probably do eisenhorn before everything else it's great and than take a break with whatever and than read ravenor

The thread title used to be read eisenhorn than come back and it still holds true its a great intro if your unfamiliar with the structures of warhams lore and its a great tour de force if you are

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2024

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I enjoyed reading Huron but don't remind a single thing about it tbh

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

From the new Custodians codex:

:getin:

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Logar is potentially the most dangerous thing in the setting depending on what he's doing with that library of enuncia he's been collecting for the last 10,000 years

quote:

Some nerd on reddit posted:
For context, these quotes come from the book Pariah by Dan Abnett. More specifically, it comes from a scene in which a group of Word Bearers are working with Ecclesiarchy priests to test what happens if a blank tries speaking Enuncia.

"What words are these?" I demanded, pointing at the prayer drone. "What are they from?"

"They are our words," said one of the shadows behind the screen.

"They are words our lord wrote," said another.

"Who is your lord?" I asked.

"You will not speak his name," said the third.

"Then what is his book?" I asked.

"It is one book," said the first.

"In many volumes," said the second.

quote:

Right before this though, an Ecclesiarchy priest named Hodi got into an argument with one of the Word Bearers over the presence of a disruptive Pontifex. During this argument, Hodi implied that Lorgar has mastered Enuncia so thoroughly that he is able to create new words of power, something even the Emperor can't do.

"We do not tolerate him because he was once our noble lord. We worship him because he still is. He can see what we cannot. He is the greatest of us, and you should be ashamed that you do not appreciate his worth. Your master surely would have done. He would have coined for him a new Word all his own, to honour him"