Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

As noted, whether they got a 'better deal' really, really depends on whether you consider 'immortal evil dude' a good deal (and in at least one case, immortal evil dude constantly ravaged by hideous diseases). It sounds like you do but I'm not sure many would actually agree with you.

There's no hard canon on what happened to Alpharius/Omegon (yet) I don't think, any implications one way or the other are pure speculation.

Most of the loyalist primarchs aren't dead for certain, a lot of them went on crusades or whatever and were lost to the reaches of history - but there are a lot of predictions that they'll return for the end times, basically. Russ, Khan and Corax at least basically went charging off into the eye of terror for whatever reason and are expected back AAAAANY minute now. Vulkan disappeared, but according to book-canon he's basically immortal given he's a perpetual. Dorn lost a hand assaulting a chaos ship but he's MIA rather than KIA. Guilliman is in stasis on Ultramar, not actually dead. The only ones definitely dead are Sanguinius and Ferrus Manus on the loyalist side and Horus and Kurze on the rebels'.

gently caress knows about the Dark Angels BTW - the official line is 'Luther turned evil, assaulted Lion, Lion in stasis on Rock, will return eventually' but the Dark Angels are shrouded in secrecy and there's a lot of fanon that basically says they're the chaos equivalent of the Alpha Legion.

I always liked the fan theory that the lion was one of the traitor primarchs but his legion captured him and stuck him in the bottom of the rock which is why they go all crazy murder train on any of the fallen because they don't want it getting out. Makes more sense than it being to cover up luthor going bad and the dark angels murdering the guys he trained up 10k years ago.

I think this has been ret-conned to hell and back though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

vulkan spoilers

I mean he gets turbo murdered by orcs in m32 to yes hes still alive

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I feel bad for the Suns and the Wolves.

Also the Death Guard and Iron hands as they never really got a novel

You're supposed to feel bad for the sons but it's hinted at pretty heavily they were messing around with powers they didn't understand and were basically a ticking time bomb of warp bad times.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I like how he refers to magnus as the sixteenth, and not his name. Emperor really didn't give a squirt of piss about any of them.

He sure as hell growls his name when he breaks the throne.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

I think that's really what it comes down to, but the part about the Emperor being human is debatable. He is human in form only, his light-body is easily as psychically powerful as any of the Chaos Gods. Really, that's what makes 40k so infuriating. You have these monstrously powerful beings that physically change the world around them with thought, that supposedly have cognitive abilities beyond belief, and yet they are fundamentally flawed.

I guess I just pictured Emp and sons as these Star Trek Vulcan mentality-like dudes on steroids, but in actuality they're just a bunch of big, emotional, killer weenies.

The emperor only thinks he's all that, one of the greatest hooks of 40k to me is that even the emperor was loving with things he didn't fully understand. Whether he was human a gestalt shaman soul or a piece of dark age technology that outlived its masters it was flying by the seat of its pants. The emperor being around guiding humanity always rang hollow to me when we see him digging around the same scraps as the rest of the universe. If he was guiding humanity and not just an opportunist wouldn't he have stashed an stc somewhere.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Literally if its any chaos god (its not) it would be tzeench since there is literally an entire legion dedicated to hating the space wolves who follow him and his entire deal is mutations.

Khorne does not do the whole sorcery and insidious mutation deal and wulfen don't go on murder rampages against everything.

Its just a hosed up mutation of their geneseed likely due to the genetic foundation of many of the colonist that they draw from plus the weird Canus Helix they drink. The blood angels have the whole vampire thing going on which is way more khornate anyways. Warp fuckery can cause an increase or spontaneous increase in wulfen but its not the cause of it.

Geneseed poo poo can do weird things, seem the Laminators, the Flame Falcons, and the Black Dragons.

You have to remember geneseed may be from the warp itself they harvest it originally from the primarchs and they sure as hell blur the line.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 14, 2017

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

Ok, bad example. I could make the argument that picking out an exact time in the physical realm and being able to physically interact with it could be considered a power, but that would be a dead end.

The actual point I was trying to get at was think of the power of daemons (in the Eisenhorn books, for example), and then think how many there actually are (known), and then realize that they are only a fraction of the chaos gods power each. That's a shitload of power. If you were to consolidate all of it, what can't you do? Really?

This is brought too a bit but for the most part the chaos gods and their top tier daemons don't seem to give a gently caress about real space and when enlightened or whatever fall into the great game. It's possible chaos is only a thing as a faction because of abadons massive hate boner otherwise it would just be slowly dwindling warbands and occasional revolts. It's probably why he will never ascend since he would immediately stop caring about the imperium.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Space marines are a weird combination of monks and knights which is why they got their start as all male. Sisters of Battle are Battle-Nuns and there a combination of factors on why the dont get more representation but it all comes down to $$$ (GW has come around on this more so there should hopefully be more books on them soon). Also sisters of silence are totally a thing and they are kicking rad yet everyone forgets them.

He does a series if psychic flash backs with a custode in MoM and basically goes "This is me as a kid, this is where I grew up, thats my uncle/dad."

To be fair Ra calls him out on whether the visions he is being shown are even real and the emperor gives a non answer and ends the vision, RA's own mother if i remember right also said the emperor was just a dark age of technology weapon that got out of its box and wouldn't go back in so its up in the air if any of that stuff he is showing Ra is real or just metaphor for the sacrifice he spends the whole book setting ra up to make.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Bear in mind that there is a massive scale between a dumb mechanical/Electronic system and a full fledged AI.

We would make this distinction but in 40K it gets lumped under one giant term called machine spirit.

Plus the default answer for something not working very well is the machine spirit is pissed because most people believe this and don't have the technical knowledge to know otherwise.

Door lock doesn't work often, even with the right keys? The real answer is that the lock/keys are so worn that they have trouble mating correctly. 40K Answer? The machine spirit of the lock is cantankerous and needs to be appeased.

Computer keeps shutting down? Real answer is that the CPU keeps on overheating and throttles/shuts down due stop it from frying. 40K Answer? The machine spirit is old and grumpy and needs careful management to stop it from giving up for a few hours.

Keeps on shoot friendlies with a vehicle heavy weapon because it marks friendlies as threats? Real answer is that the IFF is buggy as hell or hasn't been updated correctly/files are corrupted. 40K Answer? The machine spirit is very aggressive and bloodthirsty.

The more complex a system, the more likely it will look like some kind of AI but can just be a hideously complected system where one buggy bit can have far reaching consequences. Those who actually know how the stuff works can fix it by "appeasing the machine spirit" even if that is just replacing a bad part of sorting out the buggy code. The problem is the code base for a titan is probably so complex that only a handful of Magos will understand it and you can bet they get a massive amount of power because they do so will horde that understanding.

Much like the attitude of lots of people in offices today who can bearly operate a computer and view what the IT literate people do as witchcraft even though most of the time its a simple google away.

edit: For a titan imagine what it would be like if the reactor management was written in cobol running on a mainframe, the piloting systems was written in python running on sparc, the fire control systems written in C on top of Windows server and the command and control interface was in java running on mac os9. It would have idioscrancies coming out of every poor but it could be explained as a machine spirit.

One of my favorite examples of this is andrej in helsreach explaining that armagheddon las rifles are basically made with a lovely slide and how much more awesome cadian las rifles are because you dont need to break them in"

"cadians make very eager weapons"

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

This is a theme of a few of the better books. The Night Lords books have a navigator who is having to battle with a ship that resents her taking over (including a horrific scene where she has to lower herself into navigator pool filled with excrement from the previous insane navigator )and the Ahriman series has a mechanicum heretic who interfaces with a warship being lost to the ship itself .

A lot of the books that have smaller war engines talk about having to reign in aggressive spirits like handling dangerous dogs. I guess chaos titans just go that extra step and literally manifest daemon spirits

Alot of stuff like this makes me wish there was more to chaos than murder/kill erry day and that atleast one of the legions fell because the imperium is an authoritarian power trip with a uncomfortable eugenics bent with psychic powers as the Übermensch.

In the black legion book one of the more interesting things was that planet that the dark mechanicum ran that wasn't actually that much of a demon world / poo poo hole of madness and seemed to be working on AI of some sort for its automaton miners.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

I quite liked the Ahriman omnibus :(

I also wonder how it is that every time something to do with the iron men turns up it's always a scary, massively powered devastating force. How the hell did humanity beat them first time round in a galaxy spanning war before the Emperor's war machine was in full swing?

In fact, where the hell was the Emperor during this galaxy wide Skynet event where humanity was almost wiped out? Hasn't he been around all this time?

He was obviously one of the weapons produced to beat them and why he has an ingrained distrust of ai :colbert:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Didn't that come out in 2014?`

the second one is coming out next month i think :toot:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

mllaneza posted:

There's sort of three basic timeframes for HH era stories:

Leading up to the Heresy, or "where were you when poo poo hit the fan". We have "betrayal happened and demons are real" from the POV of at least two Loyalist legions". now.
Reactions to the Heresy. Loyalists hit back, traitors scheme.
Aren't we at Terra yet ? The Heresy is an established fact, stories happen in that context.

As of master of mankind we are up to the traitor legions fight over mars and establishing the siege of terra.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Zil posted:

The Emperor was a bad dad.

The emperor was a bad leader in general, basically the only thing he had going for him was immortality and strong psychic powers.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

rocket_man38 posted:

Just finished "Galaxy in Flames". Everyone just went 0 to killing babies pretty quick. Didn't really understand how Horus convinced others to join so easily.

I would have much rather the heresy start in earnest as trying to improve things and then slowly go to poo poo rather than Horus waking up from his nap EVIL.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

This guy is doing some amazing stuff with just SFM :staredog:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Immanentized posted:

gently caress, Black Legion was a really disappointing book. Killed it in one sitting on a flight and literally nothing happens throughout the course of the entire book. I'm worried ADB is biting off too much in trying to build his whole sub-universe of interacting stories within the main setting.

The new one or the first one? I quite liked the first one except for that weird scene where the astranomicon shows up and chats with the main characters was dumb.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

HELSREACH PART 8 RELEASED

IN AMAZING TECHNICOLOR!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Did they pretty much write themselves into a corner with the main series, or are they just taking their time with the newer episodes?

They said that animating is a pain in the rear end and super slow so they wanted to try and deliver the talking heads in the throne room parts people enjoyed from the beginning of the series.

Personally I dont really like it but hey to each there own.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Hey dudes, I don't mean to interrupt Lionel Richie chat but my local big chain bookstore has a paperback copy of Red Tithe in stock.

Is it any good? Because I'm trying to picture how a book about Space Sharks vs Night Lords could end up bad but I dunno...

It wasnt bad but it wasnt good, I thought it was fun and kinda stupid but your milage may vary.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

In hindsight, that was a stupid as hell thing to post. Getting back to the lore, I just finished rereading the Void Stalker and was wondering if the Night Lords get any real mention in the material following the Fall of Cadia.

The night lords as a fallen legion are out and about in various spots in the current lore but their new prophet hasn't gotten a mention I don't think.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The 30k tabletop books. The pre-Corax Raven Guard were vicious bastards with far more in common with the Night Lords. When Corax joined up, the Pale Nomads reminded him far too much of the sadistic tyrants he had just overthrown. Corax set about reforming the legion into the Raven Guard, and most of the legion got the message and became the good guy Native American supersoldiers we know today. Some didn't, though, and kept to the violent, bloodthirsty old ways of the Legion. At the Heresy's end, he took these old guard who by then had become a single company (in the same color and armor scheme as the Carcharodons) and exiled them to hunt forever in the darkness above the ecliptic plane, guarding the Imperium from whatever went bump in the galactic dark.

Eh its kinda up in the air whether they are raven guard or night lords loyalists (or both) for every blatant point for one theres a counter one for the other like sevatars visions/thing for sharks.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I think the Heresy book settled it outright. You have a chapter of Raven Guard known for their sadism and bloodlust, who wear the Carcharodon colors and given a battle barge that's the Carcharodon flagship during the Badab War, and exiled above the ecliptic plane just like the Carcharodons. They mostly use archaic patterns of equipment just like the Raven Guard. The Carchies also speak of being exiled by their "Father" to the darkness above the galaxy's rim, tying into Corax's exile of the Pale Nomads, and the Carchies' title for their chapter master is the Shade Lord - the title used by the commander of the Pale Nomads before Corax's discovery and reformation of the Pale Nomads into the Raven Guard.

They're Raven Guard successors, sorry.

Ah which books is that is it a recent one?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Zil posted:

More and more I view the Emp as an autistic child playing with his space mans than an all powerful psychic ruler.

The whole point of the setting I always thought was that the emperor isn't an infallible perfect being he's just a human who had a poo poo ton of power.

Or he's a dark age of technology weapon out of its box and that's why he's so cold and distant.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

Where does this idea come from? Is it backed anywhere in the fluff, or just a cool theory. From what I’ve seen all the fluff suggests he’s from the Stone Age.

There's a bit where in a flashback a custodian is assassinating one of the terran leader leaders who had been around since before the unification and she laughs when the custodian references the emperor reverently and she basically just says "you have no idea what that thing really is do you" or something along those lines. Then the emperor gives one of his custodians a flashback of the emperor living as a child in some stone age village and when the custodian asks if this vision is real the emperor just ends the vision and gives a non answer about the lesson in the vision being real.

There's also some really old fluff that talked about the dark age of technology giving birth to three splinters of humanity the men of stone, iron and gold with the men of iron being the robots that rebelled. The prevailing theory is that the men of stone are normal humans and the men of gold were either primarchs or primarch tier creations who were psykers.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 17, 2017

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

They very explicitly have not always been there.

My theory is that slaanesh wasnt so much born as the billions of hyper psyker hedonistic elves raised the baseline of the emotion that empowered slaanesh to the point where she became active/woke up and took on their characteristics.

so i guess what im trying to say is that there has always been a slaanesh but there hasn't always been THIS incarnation of slaanesh.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

, then win the Long War at a stroke as the light of the Astronomicon is extinguished and the Imperium is left helpless to defend itself and can be picked apart at Abbadons leisure.

Emperors Legion seemed to posit that warp travel was still do-able without the astronomicon since it was out a few months after cadia fell and ships were going about they were just more likely to get lost. Hell the whole northern half of the imperium cant even see the astronomicon anymore and they are somehow not all dead 100+ years later.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Can you read Master of Mankind independently of the HH series and still get it? Assume i'm a huge nerd who has been following this thread for years :/

if you know the gist of the Horus Heresy then you will be fine.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

One Legged Cat posted:

Like what the others are saying, I think he did a pretty good job, given the whole "GW releases massive setting update, they need a book about it to sell the new Ultramarines Vs Death Guard game pack RIGHT NOW, who's not in the middle of a big important book already, okay let's make that guy do it" situation. He's done some pretty good work, and I especially liked his space elfy book Valedor; really summed up what the eldar and their dick cousins are all about.

I honestly thought the fulgrim vs roboute part of dark imperium was great and then you double timeskip past all the interesting stuff and the book loses all momentum never getting it back.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Tias posted:

In M18 the warp drive came about, permitting short jumps that didn't need precise navigation( kinda like the Tau still do it). Somewhere after this time, probably the 19th Millenia, navigators were genegineered to make longer jumps. How they managed to find their way is unclear, but considering that a good warp chart can partially replace good contact to the Astronomican today( as per the Rogue Trader rulebook), perhaps a combination of good 'warp rutters' and STC navigation systems allowed the massive expansion seen during the Dark Age of Technology.

The pharos device also might have been more common in dark age of technology giving them basically a network of mini astronomicons maybe the emperor just took one and turned it up to 11.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Pendent posted:

Dante is set before the new stuff. Devastation of Baal and Watchers of the Throne are sort if simultaneous, sort of not due to warp fuckery. Dark Imperium is set between 20-100 years later, again due to warp fuckery.

They are super cheeky about it in dark imperium too, well this one calendar says its M42 buuuuut it might just still be M41.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

:staredog:
god drat

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Is the curse of the wolfen series any good....or war zone fenris?

Like what the gently caress happened with that? The 13th company came back, space wolves saving wolfen. Running from Inquisition and than grey knights and chaos in fenris and??????

I read the first one which I really enjoyed and had a great tone but did they just die off or what

Fenris gets exploded by magnus In there somewhere too.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Its been really cool watching the quality go up and up each video, Im guessing he has backgrounds sorted enough where hes dropping the filter? thats kinda a shame i kinda dug it.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ElPedro posted:

Just finished Praetorian of Dorn and I kind of agree with the earlier posts about it. It also felt like there was a bunch of convenient weaknesses for the Alpha Legion to exploit. Though I still felt it had good moments with Archamus and Dorn.

The teleport thing in the hangar someone was confused about, was Alpharius allowing them to teleport in and then blocking it afterwards again.

I was surprised that one of their primarchs died - Alpharius

Is it correct that Guilliman kills an Alpha Legion primarch at some point later?

lol with the alpha legion who even knows, theres 3+ "confirmed" killings of Alpharius and maybe 1 died 1 survived maybe both died maybe there was a third twin because the hydra has three heads.

There whole deal is theres no way to know and theres alot of doubt put on each instance.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Alpharius never existed in the first place. Big E hosed up on gestation pod 20 and the reason "Alpharius" isn't much bigger than a regular marine is because he's actually just a huge regular marine. The intense secretiveness and "I am Alpharius" of the Alpha Legion arises from psychoprogramming by big E to cover up his mistake. :pseudo:

(Yeah it's stupid but it could actually work.)

After the thing where if a regular alpha legion marine drinks the blood of Alpharius they turn into a near perfect clone, it gets a :psyduck: inception.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Demons tend to call the SoS daughters of the anathema so maybe theres more going on there than we think since they didn't seem to even effect him during the war in the webway.

Though that whole segment raises so many more questions about the emps in general.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What is a soul, in Warhammer terms, and who has defined their properties? I always took it as rhetoric and metaphors rather than them truly 'not having a soul'. Rather, I take that to mean 'not having/having a weak warp presence', which confounds the senses of weak psykers.

It could be that the demon bathed him in enough warp stuff to corrupt him thus giving him a soul :tinfoil:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

so is the eisenhorn book really a new book or its a collection of a bunch of bullshit

is it even about eisenhorn cause i was super butthurt Pariah was marketed as a continuation of eisenhorn and that dude was liken not even in it and we followed someone else for 3/4ths of it.

The new book is a bunch of older short stories + a new one. Most of the short stories feature Eisenhorn but dont all have him as a POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Space Marine centric stories also tend to suffer badly from a lack of compelling women characters when they have women at all, which would be an issue in a hypothetical movie.

Just give me a movie of the world eaters flagship captain being a huge badass. Her response to angron becoming a demon being just to jettison him out to space was great.