Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Since the topic of radicals came up in this thread I'll ask it here as well: if radical inquisitors in Ordo Malleus use Daemonhosts, and radicals in Ordo Xenos use Jokaero and even Orks, what do the radicals of Ordo Hereticus use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Games Workshop is doing the Horus Heresy now, but are there plans in the future to do the collapse of the Imperium in the 42nd millenium?

I wouldn't hold my breath, it's been 999.9 for the past decade or so. Sometimes they even go backwards, the latest fantasy codex, Empire, acts like the Storm of Chaos is about to happen.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Affi posted:

So are there are Space Marines around that were alive during the Horus Heresy (and before?) Do they still buy the whole "The Emperor is a God!" spiel or do they remember how things were?

Plenty of Chaos Space Marines remember him being less than that, but I think one of the only loyal Marines still around is Bjorn, and he only talks every century or so.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Degenerate Star posted:

That's because they'd just held the Councill of Nikea, in which it was determined that warp-based sorcery was bad, but Imperial-owned psykers were okay. Magnus grudgingly complied, even though warp sorcery was kind of his thing. Then, heyo, just when thing were getting crazy, Dad gets a message from him using the same method they'd just all agreed was BAD. Dad's anger issues meant that Magnus got a face full of Russ instead of a thank-you note.

There was also the whole sundering of Terra's Webway Gate that got his pop good and pissed.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

They actually do have meetings of the HH writers.

Yeah, and you still screwups like Magnus showing up on Terra after the Istvaan dropsite massacre.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

rocket_Magnet posted:

You sure about that? I reread a thousand sons again recently and while my memory is pretty awful, I remember Magnus tries to reach Horus first while he is in the temple at davin being first seduced. Only a week or a handful of weeks go by before he reaches for the emperor...

Ambiguatron posted:

I'm pretty sure the chronology is:

1. Erebus tries to turn Horus, Magnus interrupts.

2. Magnus realizes that Horus is being turned by the ruinous powers.

3. Magnus picks the exactly wrong time to send his message, and the psychic push needed to get it through fucks up the human webway.

4. The Emperor doesn't get the message, and sends the Wolves to sanction Magnus.

5. Horus calls on the other legions to aid him in suppressing the "revolt" on Istvaan, with the rest of the Imperium none the wiser.

Magnus appearing after the dropsite massacre makes no sense, since there's not much time for the whole sanctioning thing between the massacre and the Eisenstein showing arriving in the Terran system.

You are both exactly right, that is the correct chronology as presented in False Gods, A Thousand Sons, and all previous sources.

What I was talking was in The Outcast Dead, they have the reaction to the Dropsite Massacre, and then Magnus arrives on Terra. Hence my saying it was a screwup.

Like I said earlier in the thread, having Magnus' act not only be misguided but also a useless waste could have added to the tragedy of the Thousand Son's fall, but the fact they contradicted themselves so badly in the process is just stupid.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MisterFuzzles posted:

23rd Horus Heresy book being written by ADB. Hes got the opening quote and prologue on his site. Angron and Lorgar going about wrecking some Ultramarines that weren't on Calth for the slaughter. I believe Kharn is going to be the main character.

Here's the cover for it.

I hate to dash your hopes, but I'm pretty sure those marines are from the Alpha Legion.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Therion posted:

I think it gets told in the first book when Talos [spoiler]gets an audience with the gods.

Did anyone else read that sequence and think 'The Last Temptation of Talos?'

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

...(once I finish Path of the Renegade, which is turning into a bit of a slog).

That book goes in fits and starts, but it has a neat ending. I have hopes for Incubus, at any rate. If he get's more Vect in then so much the better.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know who John French is, but considering they just put this out with zero marketing and are trying to get ebook buys this early I don't have a good feeling about this.

I hope I'm wrong, Ahriman's story is one of the best of the chaos characters.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I think the problem some have is that it is not ongoing, it's stalled.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Azran posted:

I thought Tycho was originally the name some guy gave his Captain in a White Dwarf Battle Report. In-game, he died, and so they kept that as "canon"?

Wish they'd kept that methodology with the Storm of Chaos.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Okay except for a comically massive continuity error.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Lucky you.

Alright here's the chronology as it should be:

1) Horus is Warmaster and loyal.

2) Horus becomes a traitor despite Magnus' attempted intercession.

3) Magnus immediately goes off to earth to warn the Emperor with disastrous effects for them both.

4) Horus does the Istvaan betrayal.

5) The Wolves are sent to Prospero to take Magnus alive but this is changed by Horus who says to kill them all.

6) Word of the treachery is passed to Dorn who arranges for a counter attack.

7) Dropsite Massacre.

What Outcast Dead does is have Magnus arrive on Terra after the drop site massacre. Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So I just finished Gotrek & Felix: Curse of the Everliving, and honestly I feel like I was sold a bill of goods.

It's no spoiler to tell you that neither Zacharias nor any Vampires show up.

It's some chaos entity body-snatcher.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nephilm posted:

By way of analogy, it's as if we were discussing on whether Daemons eat, and someone brought up how they read in a book that kroot eat meat. Sure, it's talking about eating, but otherwise completely unrelated.

Speaking of eating, ADB has also had both the Night Haunter and Angron commit cannibalism.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I think it was in there second hand, like one of the dudes is on the radio and he's like "and now he's late again because he was busy eating the enemy. Yeah great, boss, real mature."

I remember it happening right at the end when he's killing all the librarians and the dreadnought.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just finished 'The Greater Good.'

Pretty good, but it doesn't explore the central premise as much as I would have liked. It does all come together nicely on the last page though.

The only big criticism I have is that the footnotes tend to repeat themselves over and over. Here's to hoping the next trilogy's the best one yet.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

VanSandman posted:

'When Magnus tried to warn the Big E' is one of those continuity snarls that the authors never seemed to get quite right.... It's obnoxious, sure, but try not to worry too much about it.

It was quite clear from earlier sources and the first few books that Magnus tried to prevent Horus from falling while the Warmaster was undergoing treatment, then went promptly to Terra when that failed. One big bust of a book forgetting that doesn't change what happened.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/hydras-and-wolves/ <- good article about his general take on writing sides and balancing events and action. I'm still trying to guess which is his least favorite chapter. I'm guessing Dark Angels.

The way Lorgar calls out Magnus makes me think it's Thousand Sons, but I'm biased. Could just as easily be the completely ignored White Scars.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dude from Outcast Dead. Master strategiest/Painter. He is written about as Nipponophile as he's drawn there.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I recall ADB mentioning financial trouble on his blog well after his stuff gained popularity.

On a different note, what is a micro-short story, exactly and is it any good?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Looking forward to Master of Mankind by ADB.

Eh, there's no chance it's going to be anything but someone being Watson for an extended period around him. The best we can hope for is that there's a Malcador POV in it since we didn't into his head The Sigillite. I'm sure it will be great in any event, but yeah.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Were the Thousand Sons the only Legion not renamed after they found their primarch? They seem to have gotten the name from the Emperor himself.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I know that 'The Lightning Tower' pronounced it 'Ruhbuutay.'

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

lenoon posted:

Picked up the Vampire Wars collection from a second hand bookshop the other day - is it any good? I know we don't discuss the fantasy books here much, but I've heard fairly mixed reviews and at that length (even if it's as easy to read as the other BL stuff), I don't want to waste time on it if it's really lovely.

It's fine. The first book and especially the accompanying short story are the highlights Vampies vs Chaos finally!. The third wastes too much time on side plots that go nowhere, but if you're a fan of the Counts it's pretty good stuff.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Impaired Casing posted:

The only other thing to affect the storyline of the Horus Heresy is a pretty big spoiler, so don't read this if you plan to read the book. Vulkan's trait he inherited from his father is the Big E's immortality. Vulcan is a perpetual. Can't be killed. Kurze burns him, drowns him, freezes him, fries him, stabs him, crushes him, etc, and he just gets right back up. At the end of the book, Grammaticus is sent out to kill Vulkan, using a spear wielded by the Emperor himself, which I suppose can kill immortals... For some reason. Either way, they tell him to do this so Vulkan cannot fulfill his destiny and become a Gate Keeper. This is all on the last pages of the book, so nothing is really explained.

Hmm, that seems to confirm the old theory that if the Emperor was allowed off life support he would resurrect back to normal.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Sandy Mitchell needs to hurry the gently caress up and write his Caine vs Dark Eldar novel already.

Yeah! Enough Goddamn 'Nids.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is the Emperor sending Russ to take Magnus in and then Horus nefariously telling him to just kill 'em all still a thing? I remember it being vaguely alluded to in Thousand Sons but no mention in Prospero Burns.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

'A villain with a redeeming quality is always more loved than a hero with a flaw.'

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Considering his issues in UE I suspect the Lion's big hug looked something like this:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I'm pretty certain it's Fear To Tread, but I could be wrong.

I was more referring to him being an intensely irritating character.

He was a bit of a poo poo when he was younger too, and didn't exactly get a chance to grow up.

Speaking of which, did ADB ever talk about what consultation he had with Abnett about using one of the latter's creations?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

Well Ahriman certainly has his sights set on godhood.

Pretty sure Ahriman's goal is getting the Sons back together. Derubricizing them, basically.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It means all the special characters on the table at once and everything is dead by turn 2, but it took three hours so we're all bored anyway and just want to go home.

And the latest rulebook took out the only good trick that Dark Eldar had, so gently caress it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I will read then subsequently mock all fanfiction submitted to me... then I will offer up my bad writings in response. The ASOIAF thread does it, why not us?

No, we smush our writings together, publish them, and make mad money.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just re-listened to The Butcher's Nails and yeah, I have no idea how I forgot those were Dark Eldar.

Also, I just realized something hilarious about Betrayer: Kharn is far and away the most loyal major character to survive the book.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Is Mcneill just loving with us?

Maybe he's doubling down on his initial fuckup.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

It did get me curious to read more on the night lords. Is that trilogy by ADB any good?

Yes, very.

I really enjoyed Unremembered, the only part that didn't work for me was the epilogue: Where Kurze's visions are less precognition and more of a goddamn satellite feed.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I never understood why they felt the need to create a freaking parallel universe just so you play as the captain of the 2nd company as a different marine instead of just making it Cato Sicarius.

Hell, just set it slightly earlier in the millennium before Sicarius got the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

With that in mind, am I correct in thinking M'Shen = Martin Sheen?

Yep.