Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Azubah posted:

They are going to milk the hell out of the Siege of Terra.

From every point of view. Just getting through the gates is going to be like 8 books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

It feels like if The EMP just let Angron have his last stand / honorable death and recorded it with Servo-skulls the War Hounds would have been the most loyal of the legions. Angron would have been a martyr of loyalty to friends and humanity and the hounds would have been the line of defense for humanity. They could have been the legion standing their ground against the encrouching Nids.

Instead he denied a man who was losing grip on himself and falling further and further into rage to control a legion of super human killers and infect them with his rage. The real mercy would have been to let him have his choosen death. He was damned by the nails with no hope of becoming himself again.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

That, or just dropped to the planet with a bunch of custodians and astartes alongside him and RUINED the enemy. What better father and son bonding experience than swooping in, kicking a planet's rear end, having a beer and saying "good job son, here's your legion of sons who will fight to the death for you and your people. Oh, let me help you with those things in your skull"? If Angron had the same "back to back moment in a huge war" moment that Horus had with his father, who knows?

Then again, if the Big E was a good father none of this would have happened and we wouldn't have much of a story. Which is not to say I wouldn't love to read an alternative, happier timeline with the galaxy conquered and a bunch of wacky adventures with demigod brothers squabbling. Russ and Angron breaking into Robute's wine cellar and getting roaring drunk or Kurze putting chewing gum in the Lion's hair.

Well my reasoning is that Angron's betrayal feels almost as a direct result of the Emp.

Horus was corrupted by a magic mcguffin
Fulgrum was mcguffined as well
Logar didn't get the hint that his dad doesn't want to be worshiped as a god. Got butt hurt and went on a journey to find god.
Perturabo didn't get enough glory by willing to get dirty to win sieges (maybe if Gulliman or Dorn showed gratitude he might not have been so quick to betray. But not really Emp's fault)
Alpha/Omega - Who the gently caress knows what their plan was at this point
Magnus - Hubris and his refusal to accept his mistake and take responsibility.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of recommendations that aren't in the OP, are there any solid books that feature the Tyranids as the primary antagonists? I like the lore of how stuff like Tyranid weapons function a lot.

The Cain books feature the Nids a few times as the primary villains. The Greater Good being the most direct with it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's a sometime-hinted at thing that the Emperor isn't a totally benign altruistic being with humanity's best interests at heart. For one thing, he clearly isn't human in the conventional sense. In fact it's somewhat ironic that for a setting that's centred on Humanity and has a fluff rule that stories shouldn't generally be written from the perspective of aliens to preserve the alien-ness of their minds, we actually know less about what actually motivates the Emperor and what his background is than we know about most races. Even less so given the old Inquisitor/Starchild stuff that's been quietly dropped.

They could totally make him the last of the Old Ones.

It could be that The Emp is one of the eight points of Chaos and has been grooming humanity to become his private reserve of sustinance by cutting off the other powers. A single Chaos lord who is powered by an entire race that worships him, and him alone, like a god fueling him. We got Violence, Sense, Pestulance, and change/mutation. The Emp could be pride. Oh god...the whole Heresy could have started simply because mankind got stuck in the middle of a warp civil war / coup de tat.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Not to mention the torture/foreplay of Fulgrum where Fabulous Bile and the other children were fascinated by this chance to see what makes a Primarch and how much they can endure. And then came the butt plugs...

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

UberJumper posted:

:wtc: What book was that in?

I can't recall the title of the book but it was one of the short story collection Horus Heresy books. I want to say The Primarchs.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

The part that amazes me is that it's the same author. I could understand if some hack had taken the story and gone in a :wtc: direction, but this was the same guy who wrote Fulgrim. He wrote a good long, deep (for BL) back story with a tragic fall and a dark ending. It may not win any awards, but it fleshed out Fulgrim nicely.

At what point did Graham Neil wake up and think "hmm, I don't like how I left Fulgrim stuck in a painting while a demon wears his body , I'll have to retcon that. What's the best way to do this? I know... BUTT PLUGS!!!"

I will happily sit next to my wife reading my books about pew pew spacemen without feeling the slightest bit ashamed (she asks me when my next "Catholics in Space" book is coming). But reading that made me feel like I was standing on the precipice of Hentai or something. She asked if my book was good. I had to keep a straight face as I said "it's...not the best".

I worry that one day she'll pick up one of the collection at random to see what I'm reading and it will be that one...

I just love the transition in torture they had in that book. First its all scaples and electroshock. Then potato peelers and wood cutting tools and they decided Fulgrum had too big of an erection after all that so they said gently caress it...bring out the space marine helmet sized butt plug and show no mercy!

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Potooweet posted:

My interpretation of the Cabal is that they are more or less full of poo poo. Other than the fact that one of their prophecies eventually comes to pass, there's no reason to really believe them at all. Their Acuity thing was accurate on the same level that Erebus showing the future state of the Imperium to Horus was accurate It's warped :smug: until it means what they want it to mean, and the psyker that Alpharius brings with him to check on whether or not the vision is a trick dies.

The idea that the Alpha Legion defecting to Horus is the only way to stop Chaos is too mind numbingly stupid to be true. I think the entire concept suffers from the number of times HH books turn on one or two incidents that might have made everything better. Like if Fulgrim doesn't pick up the daemon-sword (or doesn't bring it with him when he talks to Horus or the Eldar) or if Sejanus doesn't die just before Horus Rising or if the Emperor has a five minute chat with Horus or Magnus (or both) about the Golden Throne and the webway project. A lot of these things have already happened or are impractical to change, but if the Alpha Legion involves itself at one of a thousand moments against chaos, the situation only improves. "Erebus trips and falls down some stairs and Horus makes peace with the Interex" sounds a lot less risky than "hand the galaxy over over to fanatics and hope they kill all humanity before demons consume creation." Hell, they can pretend to play along for a year or so and then warn Ferrus, Vulkan and Corax before Istvaan and still have things end up better off. There's no way the course of action the Cabal suggests had a chance of working.

Basically, I think they try to manipulate events so that humanity (which is a species they wish they had destroyed earlier) and chaos both lose, and then Alpharius and Omegon complicate the situation even more because that's what they do. They're still playing the long game. It's just a different game than the one they say they're playing.

I think they only succeeded in turning Alpharius to their side to side with Horus. Omegon in one of the short stories seems to be subtly setting options available to him for if he needs to turn and burn Alpha Legion to remain loyal to the Emperor. Granted I guess we'll have to wait till post Heresy books to find out if its Alpha or Omega that survives or if it was just another marine who is "Alpharius"

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Shroud posted:

In Outcast Dead, he tells an astropath sometimes the only thing you can do is force your enemy into a draw, implying some kind of eternal stalemate.

The sad thing is...
The only reason it became a draw is because he told Magnus that Psykers are bad and banned their use. Magnus in desperation to warn his father of Horus' heresy destroyed humanity's only way to remove dependency on the warp forcing the warp and humanity to be forever entwined. If the console of Nakie never got started in the first place. Magnus may never have had to react the way he did and humanity would have a way to travel across galaxies with out even having to interact with the warp ever again. The Eye being the only way for Chaos to enter their realm and have been effectively quarantined forever.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I think its a little weird that the chapter thats anti-demon and chaos, the Grey Knights, don't have kill squads of blanks. Psykers like its going out of style, but no psyker kill teams. I have to wonder how long a ship of Knights would last if Magnus decided it was time to rape another world for its knowledge.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

The Barnes and Nobel have them, or did the book seems to disappear from the shelf pretty quick. Found my copy there a week ahead of street.

Must have forgot the part about them having blanks in the chapter. Might be because the only part of the book I was truly disappointed with was how short the battle of Armageddon fight was.
*edit*
not to say that I didn't like it alot its just that when compared to
(related to Battle of Fang)
Magnus got a lot more face time than Angeron did. But then again we also got Magnus getting punted through a thunderhawk by Bjorn.

Still a good read. I just wish the second act got fleshed out a bit more.

EyeRChris fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 22, 2013

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Any idea when the Yarrick novel will be available on retail or amazon? I kinda want to read a novel about a commissar that is so bad rear end that Orkz consider him an honorary war boss.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

I haven't read it for a long time, but didn't the virus eat away at the seals and joints of the armour? And I recall the dreadnaught dying too because he refused to get into the caves. I seem to remember some dying marine saying thathe'd ordered the dreadnaught ito the caves but he'd stayed, and then he realised that his chasis had taken damage and the virus was getting in.
Wasn't it some kind of sealed vault, too? And they only had to stay safe long enough for the second phase of the attack which was the orbital laser igniting all the virus decomposition gasses and burning the planet clean.

Oh sod it, I'm not going to try and defend those books. They should have let Abnett write them all.

I'd re-read it, but I know it would get worse on a second read through. I do remember it being jolting to read Horus suddenly talking with a completely different 'voice' though. Mentioning that Kurze was a moody bastard but useful if you needed a battalion making GBS threads in their britches before a battle, etc.

The Dreadnaught claimed it was sealed so the Marines would seal the bunker so they would be safe because the bombs were immenant. They slammed the door shut and the seals hit right before the bombs went off. THe bunker was intact and was protected from the virus and remained standing after the fire bombing. The dreadnaught basically choose his death and convinced the marines he'd be ok simply so they wouldn't die trying to get him in the bunker in time.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I'm yet to read a Tau book that favors the Tau as a less crazy Imperium so far. Like Greater Good. They need to find Cain because of an incoming 'Nid threat. So what do they do to find him? Rail gun blitzkrieg motha fuckas! The whole scene is written as "are you Cain?" Boom! "How about you...Are you Cain?"

Granted I don't play the table top game so all that codex stuff thats not in the wiki's is pretty much lost knowledge to me.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

Not the best book but I think its worth a read, few good fights and lots of juicy lore.

I agree with this. Its definately not the worst. Its just compared to the other novels, it has the least impact on the overall storyline. They build up Garro as the man who is loyal to the empire to the point that he tells Horus and his entire legion to go gently caress themselves and then regulate him to audiobook status and is never heard from again. I kinda liked the book but am disappointed that I grew to like Garro just to find out I'll never read another book about him unless they do novel versions of their audiobooks.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

The No Arms Meme for Abbadon may have forever tainted any chance of him being a big bad in this lore to me. Failadon can only succeed on the most unluckiest of numbers and even that is a Pyhrric victory.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

If thats the case then I hope for the sake of the power of the Primarchs is that the only reason he gets captured is that he gets blindsided by random artillery strikes and is taken captive covered 100% in third degree burns and the enemy still take heavy casualties. And the only reason they can keep him captive is because Perturbo's dungeon keeps him forever confounded.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

The Black Library should really pit a major battle of Dan Abbot on the Imperium side with ADB writing the Chaos side of the battle. A collaboration story between those two would be amazing.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I kinda want a story written by Dan Abbot or ADB about Kaldor Draigo. Just a Grey Knight grandmaster hopelessly trapped in the warp with a boot firmly planted up the nearest Daemon rear end. Could even drop subtle hints that he might have crossed paths or heard through the warp possible actions or sightings of Corax and Russ, but since he is trapped forever in the warp no one will never know they still walk the galaxy. But mostly just a single knight murdering his way through the warp and trying to stay sane.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

As far as Loyal Primarchs that could come back isn't it

Robot - in statis and healing
Russ - Looking for the tree of life in the warp. May find Valhalla first?
Corax - Went into the warp because he is depressed at how many loving monstrosities he created in his quest to give his legion a rebirth. Perhaps stalking behind Magnus unseen stealing knowledge
Khan - Dark Eldar torture puppet

~Neutral~
Lion - Sleeping and hidden on the rock
Omegeron - potentially set up an end game betrayal to all of chaos since Alpha is potentially dead and he was left to his own, possibly loyal, devices.

Basically if Big E awoke and revived or triggered the remaining Primarchs into action it could be the chance of the Imperium to finally fight back and gain ground against chaos, Nid, and Necron assualts.

Course such an event might wake up a C'tan god and it goes from bad to worse. And knowing the WH40k universe the dragon on Mars would take that moment to awaken and devour Sol.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

How many perpetuals are known in the lore of Warhammer 40k?

We got John, Oll, possibly the Signilite, and maybe Big E himself? Least thats what I've gathered from the books I've read so far.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Nemesis (I think? The one with the assassin targeting Horus) ends with the emperor walking into the room where Dorn is planning another assassin team, throwing open a curtain, and telling him no more assassins, they will fight this war open and in the light.

So not necessarily always on it

I thought it was more along the lines that the different cadres would no longer operate autonomously and now served under the Imperium.

...least till the Inquisitor Ordos are formed.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Gulliman is probably rigid adherance to the law. It said that he wrote the codex as a guide not a set path to follow but he didn't exactly teach that to his sons.

Alpharus - Insecurity. Could have fought the Ultramarines from the shadows but decided he had to teach big brother Gulliman he can bang with the best of them. Omegeron was forced to face palm so hard he shattered his helmet as he had to find a way to hide his twin's death.

Angron - Fatalistic acceptance of his death that when his father pulled him from the face of death, he could never forgive him for denying him the death he choose.

Perturbo - Pride because of all the sieges he started just to have his brothers come in and take the glory.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

JerryLee posted:

These three sentences are the best because you can drop them so many different places in the lore without editing a thing. 40k.txt right here.

The whole heresy can be summed up with the Emperor holding the idiot ball and refusing to share it with anyone.

He basically forced Logar into seeking out Chaos, kidnapped his dying son from a fate he wanted because of honor and loyalty and created a rage filled monster that would never fit in with his newly found brothers, and didn't open up to Magnus on why they had to surpress their warp craft and is partly responsible for his own entombment in the golden throne afterwords.

Its almost like he wanted the Heresy to happen and force all of humanity back into another age of darkness.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

On this note, is it ever stated how the gently caress they managed to operate on Angron? It's not like he wasn't a primarch at that stage, it still should have been basically impossible for normal people to damage him, right?

Ancient tech was simple. Take these brain control rods and ram them as hard as possible into the pink meat. It rewires the brain in such a way that thousands of years after the age of darkness that we've lost all knowledge on how to remove them. All the tech priests on Mars couldn't figure out how to remove them but said gently caress it...heres some nails and a hammer. Go ahead Mr. Angry Man. Make a legion of psychos.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Protons posted:

Ah I remember him now. Septimus bought him that IG rifle.

He had a token appearance. I guess I read all the books too fast.

Apropos of anything mentioned, I did read an excerpt from The Emperor's Gift and holy balls those Grey Knights are over-powered. They're like a legion of Primarchs.

If the Grey Knights and all of the Deathwatch were sent after a single target...the destruction unleashed would be planatary in its scale. Picture if Abbaddon took Cadia. The Imperium says Frag It and pulls all legions out and sends in secret all of the Knights and the Watch. Any demon that showed its faced would be exercised with such prejudice and any HVT that came out of a bunker would have a life span measured in seconds.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Has there been anyword on when Yarrick will be available in print? I want another Commissar book but seems this hasn't been released yet and Amazon doesn't have a listing.

Also with how much the Inquisition likes to take a dump on certain Marines and Chapters...I'm kinda surprised that The Exorcists and The Black Dragons have not been culled yet. We got a Chapter of guys who invite the warp in and then exorcise it out. Once the door is open there is no going back. And then we have a chapter of wild mutation. A space marine chapter of nothing but Baraka from Mortal Kombat.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

UberJumper posted:

I just re-read alpha legion. So the Alpharius and Omegeon are shown a vision by aliens, and just like that decide to side with Horus? Fully knowing it will leading mankind to extinction?

I also don't understand why they exterminated all the imperial army forces at the end ether. Yeah i get the lord commander is kind of an arrogant rear end in a top hat, but really?

Also i am getting sick of the cabal.

So does this mean the warp exists in other galaxies? Or is the emperor just that powerful.

Alpha Legion was about making the tough choices. They would do the dirtiest of work if it meant the best for humanity. They were shown a war with two possible outcomes. 10k years of struggling and strife leading to humanity dying a slow death similar to a gut shot wound to the gut, or a quick death when Horus realizes what he has done and burns the entire galaxy in guilt. They "sided" with Horus seeing it as a mercy killing. But it seems that Alpha is a betrayer while Omega is playing Alpha and seeding other plans that could lead Alpha Legion to the side of loyalty.

I picked up Iron Guard by Mark Clapham mostly because I'm out of books I want to read and the next HH book release (in retail) is still a few months off. Read so many Marine books lately that perhaps a Imperial Guard book will be a nice change of pace.

EyeRChris fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 6, 2013

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Out of the Chaos Legions...of the founding chapters which are the closest to collapse?

I've only read the HH and a few battle books but I get the impression that after the Battle of Fang that the Sons might be at the level of boned. I can't imagine they get along with true heretics (they were loyal but Zeech conspired events into motion that left them cut off and forced into exile) and they probably can't find psykers strong enough to really replenish their ranks. Seems like that if any of the legions sent into the eye found the Black Planet where they reside that they would be wiped out quickly against a full strike force (or just Bjorn after he finishes kicking Magnus' balls up through his torso and out his nostrils)

After that ADB made it seem like The sons of Cruze are in disarray and survive of raiding and scavenging but all the in fighting leaves them a legion divided.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Funnily enough ADB wrote the opposite in The Emperor's Gift. Hyperion objects to wearing Terminator armor for the fight on Armageddon, because his standard armor offers better mobility.

He would totally have died if he hadn't worn Terminator armor.

I think thats because his standard armor had the warp pack on it that allowed him to teleport short distances. If he wore Termenator on the ship they found he would have been lost to the void when the daemon threw him out a hole in the ship.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Well he was basically ignoring them until they managed to interfere with what he was doing. After killing the Wolf who was fixing the Wulfen problem and wrecking his research, he knew his goals had been accomplished due to Tzeentchian prophesy powers. After that I got the impression that he was just running out the clock. Plus, you know, throwing Bjorn from the top of THE loving mountain was pretty cool, even cooler because Bjorn survived it.
Oh well, agree to disagree.

I like to think that the final sequence came down to...
Three very pissed off to the point they might have well said "Skulls for the Skull throne" see their arch-enemy. Decked out in Terminator armor and use focused rage to fight a prince in Terminator armor. They hurt him but couldn't really do much damage. Then the mother loving Fel-hand shows up and dick kicks Magnus through a Thunderhawk, uses his plasma cannon to ignite the fuel tank Magnus was sitting in, and then the two proceeded to beat the ever living gently caress out of each other. If the Sons held out longer Magnus most assuredly would have killed Bjorn but 3 terminators and the great wolf kept a Prince out of the fight long enough for the Wolves to kick The Thousand Sons back into the warp with massive casualties, on both sides granted but the Wolves can recruit. The Sons can't.

So compared to Angron we've learned physically Magnus isn't much more powerful than 3 elite terminators and the greatest of dreadnaughts. If there was a second or third Dreadnaught involved in the brawl it might have turned out differently.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Have they announced any Death Guard books for the HH yet? Seems weird one of the Traitor Legions who was at the Dropsite massacre have had like no presence at all yet. The closest we got was Garro saying telling his entire legion to gently caress off and running to Terra to warn everyone. Hell. Alpha Legion, whose whole thing is working from the shadows, has had more of a presence than Death Guard.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Finished the Iron Guard. Pretty fun little guard book. I always find it fun to read a book that has no Space Marine content in the WH40k universe. Mostly because of how hosed the galaxy is and seeing normal people fighting against the galaxy works really well. Not saying it was its on par with Cain, the Ghosts, or our favorite pair of Inquisitors but still is a fun diversion while I wait for more retail releases for The Heresy.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Is there any CM that has surpased their primarch in favor with the chaos gods?

Off the top of my head it feels like there is potentially two that come close

Lucius - can essentially never die cause if anyone kills him and feels even a fraction of satisfaction at the kill gets possessed by the now revived immortal swords man

Fabious Bile - Fabulous and has a pimp death cane. Can't help but feel both Nurgle and Zeetch can't favor him just a tad.

Kharn might be a close third on this list. But then again my knowledge of the lore is limited but I get the distinct impression that outside of Fulgrum that the Primarchs have done gently caress all since ascending. Maybe Angron but then again all he's really done of note is manage to find out he can fight 106 Gray Knights at the same time.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

That and he could have just been fighting the psychic manifestation of the Emperor while Big E was just sitting on a lawn chair drinking a Mojito. I get that the Emp is what Magnus could be if he just cut loose. If he wanted you dead. You would just be dead with out him lifting a finger.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

In regards to Alpha Legion...

I always took it that Alpha is pro-cabal's plan and is pro Horus just to ensure that humanity doesn't suffer in the long run. Omega on the other hand is pure loyalist playing an Alpha Legion game of propaganda and deception to be able to not only betray Horus, but also his legion, in loyality to the Emperor. The problem is the way the Heresy will play out leaves Omega no option to Betray the forces of Chaos to bring what remains of Alpha Legion back into the fold.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I'm about two thirds through Ahariman: Exile and really liking this book. Someone please tell me that BL is going to let this become a full blown series or at least a Trilogy like the Night Lords. Sure its no DA or ADB but its a fun little book and I do like The Thousand Sons as a legion.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Wandered into 1d4chan and wondered something about Lucius.

If he was killed by a pariah could he still revive? Seems like if a Gray Knight Blank he would be hosed as they are untouchable by the warp. Course I suppose Ravenor sort of muddied that by having his pariah get compromised by a daemon. So I suppose it could create a Gray Knight that has multiple personality disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Big E might be the strongest and mightiest being in all of humanity but I think being at demi-god status for so long ruins his perspective. Its the only reason I can think of for him just dropping the loving idiot ball so much.

Logar worships him like the god he (practically) is. Better destroy his shining jewel of a city in front of his eyes. And lets use one of his brothers just to build some animosity while we're at it.

Magnus breaks his big rule in an effort to save his father and accidentally breaks his science fair project. Better send the Empire's Executioners to bring them in. No...telling Magnus to teleport his dumb rear end to Terra and sit on the throne he broke as penance would be too easy. Magnus would have accepted it and the sons would learn that use of their craft has repercussions.

Angron...just what the gently caress Big E. You could have teleported down ended the war. Let Angron execute the current government and instill a puppet regime to run the planet.