Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Arbite posted:

Oh yes, that one had Amberley questioning about how he learned she had a mechanical tail.

Questioning how Cain knew *exactly* where her mechanical appendage was attached to, to be precise (base of the spine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Reminder that tomorrow is the Penitent release as well as Swords of Calth. The ebooks go live at 12pm midnight eastern time on Amazon.

I got the audiobook and I am spending my weekend listening to it while doing other, non-concentration requiring things, at the same time.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Warden posted:

I got the audiobook and I am spending my weekend listening to it while doing other, non-concentration requiring things, at the same time.

gently caress, the reader sounds like a coked-up sorority girl when voicing Patience Kys.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Plucky Brit posted:

Well Penitent was a wild ride. I'll be mad if it takes five years for Abnett to write the next book.

:same:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Skulk Hogan posted:

Yeah, I found these yesterday and they're pretty good. I liked Abaddon's voice too.

I did the same, based on the recommendations here, and Soul Hunter has been really good so far.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Pretty neat, thanks for linking.

Dan's beard makes him look ten years older than he is though.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ed balls balls man posted:

Can't believe I was 10 when Necropolis came out. One of the books that really capatulted me into reading more and more. Blew my mind at the time.

I was something like 13 or 14 when Necropolis came out, and English is not my first language. It still left hell of an impression.

The book had so many memorable parts, but I remember getting actual nightmares about the part where they have to close the gates even though refugees were still streaming in by the thousands.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta7pEier2MQ

God drat you FatShark stop making me wait.

While getting Dan to write Darktide is cool as hell, am I the only I who thinks the man easily looks ten years older than he is, physically? His productivity seems to have come at cost and I hope he is getting enough R&R.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Khizan posted:

he doesn't look bad for 55 imo.

Deptfordx posted:

He seems fine to me.

He's 55

Ok, it's just me then, because that's not what healthy 55-year-olds look to me. I am used to men in their late 60s, early 70s looking like that.

Khizan posted:

I think a beard trim and some better lighting would knock a few years off of his appearance

That's a good point.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Know No Fear is a top five all time Abnett book, alongside Saturnine, Pariah/Penitent, and Only in Death.

You forgot Necropolis.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Benagain posted:

I'm forgetting the name but there's a specific tactic/doctrine of repeatedly engaging the enemy until you find a weak point and then exploiting the hell out of it which the Wehrmacht also used and taught to officers, but when you're trying to make a living and your main audience is in NATO countries "Untrained waves of soviet conscripts" sells more book copies.

Schwerpunkt?

Once they achieved local superiority in numbers, the Soviets attacked along wide front to hold the Germans in place and prevent them from aiding and/or moving their reserves to the Schwerpunkt Soviets had identified and were hammering with their reserves, IIRC.

Of course, after the war German generals did their best to claim that they only lost because of numbers, the Red Army constantly improving their training, logistics, and tactics had nothing to do with it, no sir. Now, about that post in the Bunderswehr we were talking about...

Warden fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 28, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Immanentized posted:

Yo, the new sabbat war anthology is really good.

Can confirm.

Also, I really liked Rachel Harrison's story.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

A TRAVELLER’S GUIDE TO PETER FEHERVARI’S DARK COIL posted:

Sarastus
A backwater hive world, eternally shrouded in darkness, Sarastus was the first world of the Dark Coil to be visited. So far, the only part of Sarastus that has been explored is the city of Carceri, the greatest – and now last – of the world’s hives.

“There was a curse upon Sarastus, old and devoid of bite save for the blight of absolute darkness, but that had been enough to sour the world’s soul.”

"Sarastus" means "dawn", or to be more exact, it means "the very first rays of morning sun (that wake you up)" in Finnish.

Is that, like, intentional, or the spookiest fuckin' coincidence?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Wasn't it hinted in one of the novels showing Angron's past that before Butcher's Nails hosed him up, he had some kind of empathetic powers which allowed him to take away others' pain and help them relate to each other better? If I am not misremembering, then that would imply that Angron was originally meant to be therapist for his brothers, which, let's be honest here, so many of them desperately needed.

Kurze was probably originally meant to be Chief Justice of sorts, before crash-landing to Urban Hellhole Crimeland and going crazy. Mortarion could have been meant to some sort of Witchfinder General. An inquisitor, one could say.

That's assuming, of course, that Emperor wasn't going to take them behind the barn once they'd served their purpose of winning the Great Crusade for him.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Oh boy Grey Knights XCOM...sign me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFug5CaCJw

I have warm memories of the original Chaos Gate, though it was janky and buggy as gently caress. But it was heartfelt, interesting to play and really captured the feel of WH40k.

And new I realized that it was over two decades ago, and I am sad.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Bought the Infinite and the Divine on Audible based on the recommendations in this thread. So cheers for that, mateys.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

OPAONI posted:

Saturnine is really good but Penitent is Abnett's best writing, IMO. He just nails the high-victorian horror aesthetic that makes domestic 40k so much fun to read.

The part where they have an autoseance session where they first raise the ghost and then get invaded by the sorcerers was loving incredibly on the Audiobook.

Let us in.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
FWIW, according to ADB, Black Library pays surprisingly well, and some of their series (HH, and any big 4 Space Marine books) sell like hotcakes.

quote:

Firstly, Black Library's sales (and therefore, its royalties) put the majority of science-fiction and fantasy to shame. That's not hyperbole. The vast majority of SF&F novels don't sell all that well at all, and the industry is generally carried by the bleeding edge >1% of Big Names and their releases. Licensed fiction is an anomaly in that it generally comes with an established audience already, and in terms of 40K, that established audience is absolutely massive. I've known several BL authors to talk about their 40K sales with other SF&F authors, and the non-40K authors' eyes either light up or narrow at the figures being mentioned.

On that note, there's a wildly disproportionate number of authors writing for BL that are full-time writers. That's a big and strange deal. Sometimes they focus purely/mostly on BL, other times they write elsewhere, but the proportion of full-time writers in the BL gang is very skewed compared to the industry average, significantly in part to the fact that 40K novels sell so well. Basically, you can afford not to also work in a call centre or whatever else many, many other authors do. Even established, multi-book authors in the genre often have full-time or part-time day jobs. Again, almost anyone outside of the bleeding edge of Big Names. That's the reality of being an author these days.

So it's not as simple as BL "not paying enough." BL pays fine. Great, if we're being honest.

I could write much faster. BL have tried to get 6-7 Horus Heresy novels out of me, not just the 3 I've written, but I either turned them down for scheduling conflicts or wasn't feeling the urge to add to that part of the Heresy's storyline at the time. The Beast Arises Series made bank, and was always going to make bank, but I jumped off that to write my Grey Knights novel instead. I chose to write about the Night Lords when I had a chance to do a Space Marine Trilogy. I chose to do the Black Legion when I could've done, well, anything. And the sales figures for that series are both huge and honestly humbling, but if I was two books into a Blood Angel Series right now, I'd be swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck.

Edit. Of course, Riot probably has more money than god, so if McNeill got a permanent position there, then he's probably getting the big bucks.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Authors, except for a very few, don't make poo poo so even if BL authors are making 2-3x more than average sci Fi authors they are probably still making less than 100k a year and like 150k at the absolute most in a really good year.

You talking dollars, pounds or euros here?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Zudgemud posted:

Yes.

It's like a 25% difference between them

The difference is quite a bit larger when you factor in the different costs of living. Like, it's a bit different if you're pulling 100k in dollars while living in the US or 100k in pounds while living in Scotland.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Philthy posted:

My takeaway is Abnett saying he could be swimming around in Scrooge McDuck pools at any given time but is doing whatever he wants speaks to me he's making a poo poo ton more than 100k of <insert foreign currency>. If McNeal left to go do games, he's probably comfortable enough he wanted to take a risk at change and having the option of falling back on spacemen gold mines if he really wanted to. It's not like BL would say no to the guy if he said he wanted to do whatever.

ADB is Aaron Dembski-Bowden, not Dan Abnett.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

von Metternich posted:

Also, a scene where a primaris fights some kind of Fenris squid or something underwater, which is extremely tense...because the author forgot that Space Marines can breathe underwater.

What? Space Marines can breathe underwater? Since when? Their power armour is enviromentally sealed and has an oxygen supply but they do not have gills or anything like.

Edit. Turns out I am wrong, they can breathe underwater thanks to multi-lung. Somehow I've missed that despite being into 40k since '98.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I bought the Talon of Horus on Audible and started listening to it and have a question.

The narrator, Khayon, mentions twice near the beginning that he, by himself, made Primarch Magnus kneel in front of Abaddon, and got the nickname Kingbreaker for it.

My question: Is that an obvious hint meant to clue the reader (listener) that Khayon is lying to his captors, and his account should not be taken at face value, or is that actually something they're gonna explain with some kind of bullshit deus ex machina later?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I'm at chapter 7 of Talon of Horus.

Here's what I've learned about the main character so far, assuming he's not just coming up with random poo poo to screw with his captors:

* He's a powerful sorcerer of the Thousand Sons. So powerful that he claims to have made his own Primarch kneel.
* He's got a spaceship of his own, which is driven by emotionless shipgirl that used to be his little sister, floating naked in a tank.
* He's got an inexplicably completely loyal daemonic familiar that takes the form of a giant wolf and identifies as female.
* He collects daemons like pokemon and summons them by throwing MTG cards.
* He's got a winged Dark Eldar chick hanging around his ship in the while they are in the Eye of Terror. Oh, and she's BFFs with the daemonic familiar.

And this is from the same guy who wrote awesome Night Lords trilogy? What happened, did he somehow regress to teenager between series or something? Does this get better later or should I bail now?

Edit. drat, posted exactly at the same time as the post before this.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Azubah posted:

I think that's the first hint you shouldn't believe everything he says.

I twigged to that when he felt the need to state that he had brought Magnus to his knees for the second time. Like, dude, you said that already, all casual-like, either give me a convincing explanation how you supposedly managed that or stop making unverifiable boasts

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I finished Talon of Horus.

It got a lot better towards the end, but then ADB just had to have Khayon spout bullshit about all of the Daemon Primarchs having knelt before Abaddon. Couldn't just have had them acknowledge Abaddon as Warmaster in charge of Long War in the real-space, oh no, it had to be all of them kneeling.

Warden fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 18, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Listening to Double Eagle now, Valdor: Birth of Imperium is next. Dunno if I want to listen to the sequel to Talon of Horus, since my verdict about it was so mixed. It had brilliant bits mixed in with eye-rolling bits, and some of the side characters absolutely slapped, and Abby himself when he appeared in person was a far better character than he was in any Horus Heresy book, save perhaps Horus Rising. The pen-ultimate chapter in particular was super-good.

For some reason, the 1.0x speed for Double Eagle sounded strange and too fast, so I dropped it to 0.9x, and it sounds correct at that speed.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I finished Double Eagle, which I had missed when it originally came out, as an audiobook. Good book, but it had rather abrupt ending, as is often the case with Abnett. Valdor is next, and I'll probably get another one for the holidays.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
After finishing Valdor, I decided to get back to the basics and got the audiobook version of Xenos, one of the first wh40k novels I first read, holy poo poo, twenty years ago as teenager. Let's see how it holds up.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I've moved on from Xenos to Malleus, and I gotta say, the narrator seems to be having a blast when voicing Cherubael. Much different voice than what I pictured when reading the Eisenhorn books though, all those years ago.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it's one of those "bad at scale" things that crops up when you are used to thinking in imperial but write in metric for some readon.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense.

It had been low-key nagging me for years that in Abnett's Ghostmaker Gaunt is described as "two meters twenty", but Corbec was described even bigger than him, and the Volpone major Gilbear was "two and half meters tall", but it was never repeated after that. Abnett thinking in imperial but writing in poorly understood metric explains it. Gaunt's probably meant to be around 190 cm tall, and I think I recall Corbec thinking to himself in Honour Guard that in a makeshift-squad with Gol Kolea, only they topped two meters, and were among the biggest men in regiment, with only Try-Again Bragg being larger.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I finished the audiobook version of Malleus and there was a section of a chapter missing after Eisenhorn destroys the Lith and before he enters Pontius' cell. If I had not read the book before I would have been pretty drat confused.

Also, it was nice to revisit how old Commodus Voke went out like a boss, psychically fighting Prophaniti to a standstill, and then apparently dying because he was using too much power for his ancient body to handle. .

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

the panacea posted:

I just finished Reign and I want more. Hook it straight into my veins.

gently caress it, I'll get in on that train as well. I'll get Ruin for my January's Audible credit.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

bagrada posted:

I started the first Twice-Dead King as my current audiobook and I'm excited.

:same:

So far, it's been really good.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I haven't played since WFB 6th edition and WH40k 3rd edition, so I can't comment reliably, but I seem to remember Gotrek being an absolute blender that could pretty much solo any Lord in like 1 round of melee.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Jerkface posted:

tell me more

The series ain't over and there's already two short stories dealing with the aftermath of Anarch in the Sabbat War anthology.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Now I haven't read the Urdesh books yet but do they explain why the Urdesh campaign ground to a halt for 10 years?

It actually did not ground to a halt for ten years, it was four years in this particular phase of Imperials and Chaos fighting over Urdesh time and time again.

Urdesh changed hands multiple times during the Crusade and even before that. Around the time of Honour Guard, it's fallen into Chaos' hands again, and most of the armored vehicles Ghosts faced came from there. During Guns of Tanith, there are Urdeshi Imperial Guard fighting alongside Ghosts, and their commander is pissed because they are on Phantine, and not retaking their homeworld right now. Then the whole Crusade overextends, and is in danger of failing entirely when Sabbat Martyr happens, and Imperium's rear end is pulled out of fire temporarily. The Crusade continues against Archon Gaur's leadership and Blood Pact and Urdesh is liberated, but Sek manages to build his forces up, and goes on offensive, and the whole Crusade effort is in danger once again, which is when Salvation's Reach happens, leading to internal Chaos conflict. However, the Anarch invades Urdesh again, forcing the Imperials to go there again. That started four years before the beginning of Warmaster, with both Macaroth and the Saint going to Urdesh. However, it turns out they don't have enough assets at hand for a decisive victory there, since the Imperial forces are both regrouping and attempting to capitalize on their enemies' division on other fronts.

Edit. Checked my copy, made some edits.

Warden fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 30, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks! My audible credit for the month just turned up. I'm actually interested in the fact Watchers has three different voice actors doing narration.

I thought it was pretty neat. Also, the sequel was also quite good.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Well then, time to spend my next Audible credit. Twice Dead King: Reign, Black Legion or Carrion Throne?

Edit. I am going to get them all eventually, I mean what should I get right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I also recently went through both Watcher's of Throne books and Valdor, and really liked them all. Valdor's also got sections that are basically vox logs that have two different voice actors, some sound effects, and no narration, which really enhances the effect.

Also, it has Steven Pacey as the main reader who is super good.