Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

can someone link like a youtube video or something of a "wet leopard snarl"? I have no idea what he meant there
It's more of a guttural type of snarl. A back of the throat type of thing - not like you'd emulate a dog's growl, but something that starts in the back of the throat and the nasal passages. It would have probably been better phrased as "a leopard's wet snarl" or "the wet snarl of a leopard" rather than wording it like someone was trying to emulate the snarl of a leopard who has recently been caught in a rainstorm.

Very poor choice of phrasing, Mr. Abnett, very poor indeed... :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, they could do some really cool stuff with DA, but it's almost like no one at GW or BL really knows where they want to go with them, so wheels spin, but nothing happens.

I finished Fear to Tread last night. While it was alright, I wasn't enamored of the book, though I did like the exchanges between the Ka'Bandha and Kyris.

:black101: "Shut up, sense-whore!"
:gay: "Tee hee!"

I totally found myself getting confused as to who the characters were, whether they were on the planet or in orbit. Eventually, I just gave up keeping track and just kind of went with it.

It was nice to finally find out who/what the Red Angel is. I've been wondering ever since the HH Art Book that came out a few years back.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

rocket_Magnet posted:

Do yourself a favour, as soon as you're done with The crimson fist skip immediately to prince of crows. It's not that it's that the others are bad, it's just that prince of crows is so god drat good :swoon:. The Dark King is ok, but I don't know why McNeill was allowed to write a story dealing with t he night lords (as ADB is so good at it). The lightning tower is interesting, as is raven's flight (although it's seemingly just covering ground already trodden). I didn't like death of a silversmith as I didn't see the point of it at all, and I didn't read the kaban project. As I've read about Kaban from the collected visions art book, and mechanicum why does the same story need to be told for a third time?.

tl;dr: finish crimson fist, jump straight to prince of crows.
McNeill was allowed to write the Night Lords, because when that story was originally written, I'm not sure ADB was even an author with the BL. Dark King and the Lightning Tower are old stories from the early day of the HH novels - 2007, I think. The others you mention have also been printed elsewhere. Looks like the only new material are the two novellas - thanks for saving me money on this one...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thewittyname posted:

Just finished Legion of the Damned, and wow - it was great and so very :black101:. Between it and the other two Space Marines Battles books I've read, Brotherhood of the Snake and Helsreach, I'd rank it first, then BotS and then Helsreach.
Wait - you ranked Helsreach third? Maybe it is because you're new and didn't realize how awesome that book really was...

Does anyone read Hammer & Bolter? I'm curious as to your thoughts on the quality of the stories. When it was still a thing, I used to read Inferno - while the stories weren't spectacular, they were readable and usually halfway decent. H&B seems to be chock full of terrible, terrible stories that border on Internet fan fiction.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thewittyname posted:

Not just third, but third by a pretty good distance (and actually I've read at least two dozen 40k books - this is not bragging).
I'm just giving you poo poo. LotD is really that good? I guess I'll have to take a look at it next then. I've heard mixed reviews and was kind of meh on the whole thing, considering the LotD is really a very small section of the entire book. I did like the Czevak book though, so I've got nothing against Rob Sanders as a writer.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Guys, please tell me that Legion of the Damned gets better... I'm two chapters in and it is soooo boring and the Excoriators (and their serfs) read like annoying, angsty teens.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
To anyone with an Ebook copy of Angel Exterminatus: is your copy full of formatting errors? I'm only a few pages in and I'm seeing all sorts of garbled junk.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Polpoto posted:

Everything was formatted fine on the .mobi version; I'm using a Kindle Fire.
Hmm. Well, I guess I'll try to reconvert it then. Maybe something went awry with the reencoding to a different format. Thanks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Dear Black Library Audio Division,

Please inform your actors that Space Marines shouldn't sound like decrepit old British men (re: Maloghurst in Horus Rising) or generic British dock-workers (re: Tycho in Bloodspire "Roit. O'll take care uv dis!")

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Everyone

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Legion of the Damned: skip the first 2/3rds of the book and read the last third.

I don't understand the thought process with that book. The first third, with all that garbage about the Scourge and all the grumbling and "crabby" looks (seriously? A Space Marine being described as crabby? "Get off my space lawn, you Xenos kids!") was completely boring and was not needed for the book at all. You could have had a solid novella with just the final prep and battle.

It seems to me like Rob Sanders had a good story, then BL decided they wanted to make an entire Space Marines Battles novel, so they told him to flesh out the Scourge. Bleh.

Despite my dislike of the first 2/3rds, I really did like the last part of the book. The way the LotD and their weapons phase in and out of reality was pretty clever.

On a related note, were we to infer that LotD Marines deploy via some sort of drop coffin? If so, that is pretty drat cool.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but I remember when they were "Yeah, they're Space Marines in black armour with fire and even MORE skulls. They turn up sometimes and kill poo poo and then just vanish. I don't know either" and they hadn't really bothered to go any more into depth with it.

Actually, they started off with the cool fluff, then GW decided to gloss over that for some reason. I think, for a time, GW had lost all its creative people and were focusing on dumbing everything down. Black Library is a good thing - they're using creative people to expand and detail the universe.

One of the fluffy bits was that all of the Chapter's officers had died, so now the highest ranking Marines were sergeants. One of the sergeants, Centurius, carried a skull (an officer's - you can tell by the service studs) around that would suck an enemy's soul and resurrect a LotD Marine.

Plus, it was always cool to see a page in WD or something that showed different chapter paint schemes, and the Fire Hawks were always partially hidden with some ominous "stamped" warning like "Classified: Lost in the Warp. See cross ref. datafile 9456.35324M re: Reported sightings" or something. It kind of gave an air of mystery to them - you knew something was going on, but weren't quite sure if there was a link between them and the LotD.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently this is the first ever reference to them, but it's clearly just a lame "marines what am a bit wrong but bettar at being marines" article rather than the later ghost marines they turned into, followed by way, WAY too much adding to it. Centrius was already later than when I got bored of them IIRC.
Wait - you don't think that original article was cool? Especially considering the fact that it was from 1988, back when the only difference in Space Marine Chapters was that they wore different colors and 40K was essentially a weird roleplaying/miniatures amalgam that used deodorant-containers as Land Speeders?

As for "ghost Marines", that is a brand new thing with the LotD book - they were always portrayed as having some warp-borne illness. Nothing was ever added or expounded upon regarding the LotD until now. The only thing GW did was to allow you to take a full army of them (which was completely lame.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

As an aside; how good are the Matthias Thulman books? I read Brunner the Bounty Hunter, and it had plenty of references to classic westerns, and the short story format was quite enjoyable.
I liked them - I've read the first two, but waited so long to read the third that I have to re-read them again just to remind myself of what is going on. To be honest, I've enjoyed everything I've read by CL Werner.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Speaking of Fantasy, what's the friendliest book/story to get myself acquainted? I have the compiled Hammer and Bolter Vol 1 and have read a Gotrek and Felix story (A Place of Quiet Assembly), which was okay, and then I tackled some novella about a knight but put it down because it was a little too dry for me.

I've been recommended Malus Darkblade, but I'm generally not a fan of pasty thin antiheroes with evil swords.

Zavant is a good one. It's basically a Fantasy Sherlock Holmes novel with a Halfling Watson.

The "Mathias Thulmann, Witch Hunter" and "Brunner the Bounty Hunter" series are good as well. Both are by CL Werner, and he's one of the better BL Fantasy writers.

The "Gotrek and Felix" series is good for less grimdark fantasy. The "Thanquol and Boneripper" series are based on characters from G&F, but I haven't read those books yet (though they're written by CL Werner, so I'm sure they will be good.)

I've heard good things about the "Time of Legends: Nagash" series, but can't vouch for them personally (again, haven't read them yet.)

Warhammer Fantasy is a tough genre as it doesn't have a whole lot to set it apart from other generic fantasy settings. Many of the books feel like they are just transplanted into the Warhammer world. Honestly, with WH Fantasy, much is going to come down to personal preference and the author.

Give the books I recommended a try though - I think they're safe bets.

By the way, here is a pretty cohesive list of the WH Fantasy books and one for 40K. These might be useful for people looking to track down titles they've missed or to investigate some series they haven't read.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I also got to read the first book out of the Ultramarines omnibus. I found it full of passages saying that the Ultramarines are great, because they're Space Marines, and the enemies of the Imperium will cower from their fearsome might, yada yada... I wonder if the series gets better. There's some squeamish daemon-spawning stuff I hear in the later books...
You have to remember that most of that series was written in the very early days of 40K novels. Space Marines (especially Ultramarines) were the most awesome thing in the universe at the time.

Plus, Ultramarines are always written as self-aggrandizing jerks anyway, so why do people get pissed off when they read a story about Ultramarines talking about how great they are?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rikthor posted:

So I finished Fear to Tread, is the main take away suppose to be that Horus essentially makes his own plans thus ruining the Ruinous Power's plans, which results him losing in the long run?
I think it was more to show that Horus doesn't view himself as a pawn of the gods, and that he's going to do whatever the hell he pleases.

Azran posted:

Got the Sigmar Time of Legends trilogy by Graham McNeill from a friend. How good are they? His quality tends to vary a lot from book to book. :ohdear:
I heard that the Sigmar series is not great. I think I remember hearing that the first books was alright, but the rest were pretty blah. The Nagash series is supposed to be much better.

EDIT: Upon looking around a bit, I see that the Sigmar series is pretty well reviewed on Amazon and similar sites. Guess you're ok, then.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's okay. I'd hesitate to call it "good". It's kind of underwhelming as the origin story of a literal god, though.
Yeah, but he's no more a "god" than the Emperor is (or do the books specifically state he is?) He's a superhuman who became a god through stories and legend.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I too just finished Pariah, and I wonder if Eisenhorn has THE Alpharius in his warband or just AN Alpharius.
I shouldn't have read this spoiler, as I haven't read the book yet, but all of the Alpha Legion identify themselves as "Alpharius". It's their way of sowing disinformation and confusion.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Excerpt from "The Lion" by Gav Thorpe (The Primarchs collection):

quote:

There were spatha, longswords, bastard swords, mortuary swords, flambards, rapiers, sabres, scimitars, khopeshes, colichmardes, tulwars, shotels, falchions, misericordes and cutlasses; myrmex, cestus and knuckle dusters; baselards, stilettos, dirks and daggers; cleavers, sickles and kopis; mattocks, clubs, picks, maces, flails, morning stars, mauls and war hammers; hatchets, tomahawks, hand axes, double-bladed axes, long-bearded axes and adzes; pikes, partisans, fauchards, sarissas, voulges, Lochaber axes, boarspears, tridents, halberds, scythes, half pikes and hastas.

Really? I don't usually chime in on the anti-Gav Thorpe sentiments, but I'm really surprised that these aren't in alphabetical order from whatever list he copied and pasted. That entire paragraph sentence is lazy and unnecessary and terrible. :argh:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Polpoto posted:

Anyone know if that Eisenhorn vs Ravenor short story Perihelion is worth the purchase?

It is in the Games Day Anthology 2012/13. As usual, it is a good Abnett story, but it isn't really action packed or anything. I'd say it's probably worth the $3, but you're not going to learn anything earth-shattering.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

It is actually rather action-packed. I have no idea WTF was going on or where into the chronology it fits but it's interesting.
It's the one in the courtroom, where Eisenhorn shows up in disguise, right? I remember it being a lot of dialogue but not a lot else. Everything going on was tangential to the conversation between the two main characters. I'll have to read it again, because that's pretty much all I remember.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

Black Library have a volume of all of the audio books printed in hardcover.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/the-scripts-volume-one.html

Are the stories worth the $45 price tag?
Just remember that these are advertised as scripts, and as such, it sounds like you get actual scripts, rather than stories. Scripts are not as enjoyable to read as stories are...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Where are people seeing the 45 buck price tag? It's showing as 30 for me.

Also I'm considering it because audio-only content is worthless for the deaf/hearing impaired :argh:
You've got a great point - you should contact the Black Library and express your concerns. Having audio only content isn't fair to you (assuming you're the one with the hearing impairment.) You might actually get a positive response from them - let us know what they say. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Pretty much my reaction, yeah. The ones who had personality were great. I liked the Apothecary who hated to be touched - the irony is just delicious.

Are there any other good books about the Chaos Legions? Especially ones about incredibly jaded heretics, who are just fighting because it's what they do, not because they give a drat about the corpse-Emperor.

Storm of Iron is really the only other Chaos Marine book. There is Lord of Night, but that's really just one Night Lord (not related to ADB's Night Lords.)

Obviously, the Horus Heresy books give you early versions of the Chaos Legions, but nothing along the lines of the Night Lords books. I hear ADB is working on a Kharn book though, so we'll see how that goes.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 7, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Reynolds's Word Bearers trilogy wasn't too bad.
Oh, fudge. I forgot about those. I think I started the first book, but never got much farther. I can't remember if that was because I didn't like the book, or my attention just wandered to something else...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

"Mowglis Haircut and Therion" posted:

:words:
Aah, maybe that was why I didn't finish them...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

He seemed to suggest that it's exactly what you'd think it is.

Wow. That is a really good blog post ADB wrote today. :golfclap:

I've always kind of thought that the reason for contradicting 40K stories is just the fact that everything from that era is half-truth, legend, and downright lies, but to hear it from the horse's mouth...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, there's a general "new marines are crap" vibe in the fluff due to geneseed degeneration and increased mutations. There's also the problem with some Chaos marines literally popping out of the warp to attack <place> and not realising that they're 10k years too late for the Heresy because "lolwarp".

Yeah, I was going to post something along the same vein - Marines from 10K years ago are generally written as being considered much stronger and better than their modern counterparts.

That being said, all of that could be typical posturing by the old guard - this is what the military is like. "The new guys have it so easy! They're a bunch of wimps!" Though I imagine that 10K years of training and fighting has to count for something...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So having just finished "The Serpent Beneath" in The Primarchs am I to assume that Alpharius is working for Horus and Omegon is secretly working against him (i.e. for the Imperium) or are things simply business as usual - everyone with their own agendas, working against each other?

I liked the story, and think that Rob Sanders is one of the upper tier BL writers - I just found the end of the story a little :confused:.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mikojan posted:

I never completely understood why the night lords did anything. It feels as though as a legion they don't have a clear goal to achieve.
They don't. That's the point. Kurze was so disillusioned with his role and what he and the Night Lords had become that he (and they) no longer had a sense of purpose. In addition, they never really fit into the Imperium as a whole - they (just like Curze as a child) were always alone.

Now they exist simply to harass the Imperium - and even that is half-assed. Talos' group is one of the few that actually can focus on a goal and attempt to carry it out.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Regarding the Night Lords:

Wouldn't it make more sense if the legion slowly dissolved as more and more legionnaires just settle down on some backwater hive worlds to start gangs and murder people for fun? (like those guys in pariah)

As a legion I feel they shouldn't pose much of a threat to the imperium as they really don't care about anything but living a thug life.

Well, the problem is that the Imperium isn't just Space Marines - fluff-wise, a squad of Marines can pretty much destroy the infrastructure of an entire planet and the local PDF won't be able to stop them. A squad of terror troops like Night Lords could really mess up an entire populace's morale.

Of course, if someone like Talos was around to unify the Night Lords... well, then there could be serious issues for the Imperium.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Sometimes it's just been ten minutes for them, sometimes 100k years others both. Chaos is fun like that.
What is also fun is that due to the wackyness of the warp, you could die in a battle tomorrow and pop out of the warp three years later to fight another battle, because, in reality, you arrived at the second battle first due the the vagaries of the warp.

Wheeeee!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nephilm posted:

It used to be around 10k per legion but it's been retconned since the HH series started.
I don't remember that - I always remember it being a nebulous "some legions had more than others" explanation.

So I'm reading the HH: Betrayal Forge World book right now. Apparently, they felt the need to explain so many years of Chaos Space Marine models with topknots and mohawks - they're callbacks to the Cthonian gang-inspired fashion of the Sons of Horus. Over time, the legion degenerated and became more brutal and prone to going O.G. all up inna Emperor's hizzouse.

That being said, it's a pretty cool book so far - of course we all know the backstory, but it is nice to have it in a condensed format with some additional info thrown in. I've still got a long way to go though - I'm only on the Sons of Horus so far.

As an aside, if you play 40K, the Sons of Horus (or Black Legion for sake of argument) are the most well rounded of all the legions in terms of combat tactics and unit composition - Horus was all about researching what worked on the battlefield and employing it within his own legion. I thought that was a pretty nice little tidbit of info as to why they're the most ubiquitous CSMs in the game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

Mortarion rules the Plague Planet andhad Draigo carve a name into his heart
Ok, I've seen this mentioned a few times - where exactly was this story?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I got my tab and I'm trying to purchase an ebook from the BL store, but it wouldn't let me pay in USD. Is the USD option for US customers only? I'm not from UK/EU/Canada/Australia and I'm only allowed to pay in GBP. The difference in price is sizable.

Well, I would assume that whatever country you're in is going to be routed via IP address to the appropriate currency. GBP is probably the default for most of the world.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Infoplease posted:

Digital:
1. of or pertaining to a digit or finger.
2. resembling a digit or finger.
3. manipulated with a finger or the fingertips: a digital switch.
4. displaying a readout in digital form: a digital speedometer.
5. having digits or digitlike parts.
6. of, pertaining to, or using data in the form of numerical digits.
7. Computers.involving or using numerical digits expressed in a scale of notation to represent discretely all variables occurring in a problem.
8. of, pertaining to, or using numerical calculations.
Considering four of the top five meanings of the word pertain to fingers, I'd say your perceived definition of the word is what is causing your confusion/amusement.

Also, being as High Gothic is as to our Latin, "digital (digitus) weapon" would pretty much mean "finger weapon."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, I know. Are you just being obtuse or do you not realize that the general connotation of the word "digital" is "relating to computers"?
Oh, no poo poo? Heh, gosh, all that time in the cave must have blunted my knowledge of the phrases the kids are using today!

There - we're even in the smartass-retort department.

The way you phrased your statement didn't necessarily show your knowledge one way or another - and besides, some people might not know what the true meaning is.

Emnity posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the Eisonhorn and Ravenor initial books, plus Gaunts Ghosts etc, and the ending of Pariah was decent, I just needed to read through a fair amount of dross to get there.
I don't know - I'm about a third of the way through so far, and I'm thinking it's pretty good. Like previously stated, Inquisitor novels are less "poo poo going boom" and more intrigue and machinations. That being said, so far there has been a big battle where the "Cognitae" takes down the Maze Undue, Beta literally runs into Ravenor, and the battle between the Warblind and the increasingly awesome Deathrow and his doggy buddy.

I'm not sure what you were expecting when you came into this?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think there are digital weapons that weren't made by the Jokaero, like rings that shoot a tiny poison dart or single-shot las round. The Jokaero ones just happen to be significantly more powerful and advanced.

I do wish the Jokaero got some more time in the spotlight, they're a pretty great concept.
But the fact that GW made them as Space Orangutans automatically makes them extremely hard to write without making them look like an incredibly stupid idea.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Doesn't look like I'll be continuing the Night Lords books any time soon. Blood Reaver is going for crazy prices on Amazon. Did this suddenly go out of print or something?
Yeah, apparently so. The BL site has it as OOS as well. They might be preparing for the collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
^^^ God yes - those Iron Hands are real assholes. Is that the one where they "rescue" that overseer and essentially turn him into a servitor because it is some great "honor?"

Alchenar posted:

That was a side issue, the main problem is that for some obvious and less obvious reasons, GW's writers don't like to write Space Marine characters as the brainwashed sociopathic trauma victims that they are because that's not actually a 'character'.
Where are you getting "trauma victims" from? They are genetically enhanced and subjected to indoctrinations based on their chapter. They aren't ripped away from their lives as teenagers - it is a huge honor to join a legion. Youths compete to be a Marine and only the best (i.e "survivors" are accepted.) Trauma doesn't enter into it.

Sociopaths, I can agree with though. Though that isn't necessarily a bad thing - for instance, I think good doctors need to be sociopaths in some way. You have to be able to detach yourself from your work in some sense. That being said, you can't be so detached from the humanity you're protecting that you're essentially an alien, either...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 18, 2012