Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's not the reveal, just a small plot twist. The reveal comes early on, it's that Omegon has betrayed Alpharius and is destroying the installation so that the Emperor will be able to summon the White Scars.

It is that really what was going on? I didn't get that at all from the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

Nephilm posted:

There's no consensus on what the Primarchs looked like because the Imperium is a gently caress huge place and they haven't been around for 10000 years, and even when they were around, they weren't usually keen on being immortalized in sculpture and such, given that such idolatry was against the imperial creed. And when it was done, details obviously changed based upon the perceptions of the artist in question.

It's not that the primarchs literally shapeshifted, but that their depictions are a ten millenia old game of telephone, and the only place you'd get accurate representations is out of the archives of the original Legions and other repositories of knowledge that, to say the least, aren't open to the public. You can bet your rear end that if someone came upon a pict of the Emperor or a (loyalist) Primarch it'd be worth a fortune and end up in the vault of some collector or enshrined in a cathedral and very much away from the eyes of the plebs.

Most Primarchs are long gone but the Ultramarines keep Roboute Guilliman around in a status field and visit him on special occasions.

(As an aside how do you pronouce his name? And is it a joke somehow like El'Jonson?)

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.
Edit. Dumb question

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 22, 2018

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Probably gonna be getting some more books soon - any opinions on the extant Primarch series of books?

Fulgrim encourages his closest advisors to rear end rape him with a “pear of agony”.

It goes downhill from there.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

The Iron Rose posted:

Wasn't that in one of the Emperor's Children Horus Heresy books?

It was hilariously awful too though. Read like one of those fake sections you get sometimes in pirated BL ebooks :v:

The book with the rear end rape was called “The Primachs” and is from the HH series.

I may have that mixed up with a seperate series ALSO called “The Primachs”.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13258970-the-primarchs

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 24, 2018

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.
Is the idea of Genestealers infiltrating society long before the main Tyranid horde arrives still a thing in canon?

Was reading some old school stuff and reflecting its much more interesting than the unstoppable bug swarm version of Tyranid invasions.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah. The Genestealer Primus floats around space and, for whatever reason, develops a sentience above the normal GS "just gotta make babies!" level, and begins infiltrating the society it winds up in.

Genestealer Cults (the novel) is probably worth your time to take a look at.

Thanks. It is a concept I enjoy.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

Xenomrph posted:

As a very long lapsed 40k reader (I think the last book I read when it was “new” was Mechanicum?), I just ordered the Night Lords omnibus and the Forges of Mars omnibus based on the recommendations in this thread. I’ve never read anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (I don’t think he was even in the BL stable of authors when I stopped reading?) but I keep seeing people say he’s amazing so I’m looking forward to his stuff. I also dig the Mechanicus and I thought Mechanicum was a good time, so I’m hoping to enjoy Forges of Mars, too.

I don’t have any real feelings about the Night Lords other than thinking the book Lords of Night by Simon Spurrier was pretty great.
I like Spurrier quite a bit as an author; Fire Warrior is one of my favorite 40k novels and is drastically better than the game it’s based on, Xenology is fantastic and I wish BL put out more books in that style, and I’ve also really liked Spurrier’s non-BL work.

The Night Lords trilogy is great.

And reminiscent of the Spurrier interpretation. Great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

In silence let him lie:
Or heave the windy sigh:
And so he had to die.

moths posted:

I just finished Descent of Angels. I thought it was pretty good, and really liked how the spooky forest was a metaphor for the emperor's crusade. I couldn't figure out why people were so down on it.

And then the book takes a loving nosedive into a Star Trek TNG fan-fiction with bolters. Like, it's seriously a planet of hats.

Is the next one any better?

Next book in HH series, “Legion”? It’s great.

Next book in Dark Angels HH continuity, “Fallen Angels”? It sucks.