Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're in for a rough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's kind of why they work so well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're not done yet, FETHING CUU :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually I heard he lost a few pages and wrote him in as a placeholder
I am hopefully going to get a chance to talk to him as part of a comicbook thing, so I'll be sure to ask him why he hates us so much.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Spoiler that please, for the sake of the newbies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Possibly go with Ciaphas Cain for a bit of light relief first. You'll need it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If I get lucky and find him in the same hotel as me I'll tell him for you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MisterFuzzles posted:

23rd Horus Heresy book being written by ADB. Hes got the opening quote and prologue on his site. Angron and Lorgar going about wrecking some Ultramarines that weren't on Calth for the slaughter. I believe Kharn is going to be the main character.

Here's the cover for it.
Oh hey, look, it just so happens that this guy from the new starter box is in that. That's gotta be a lucky coincidence right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fellblade posted:

I think this might be a joke but uh, that's not the same guy by a long shot.
Probably not, but the similarity is striking. I wouldn't put it past GW to do that, given that they'll be releasing a novel about the box set anyway. We can always check then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My point is that the miniature looks like a reasonable "add 10k years" aproximation of the artwork, and that GW's novels exist to sell more mans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So you're saying...space marines in one Warhammer thing have similar art to space marines in another Warhammer thing? Where are you even going with this :psyduck:
GW have been releasing minis that look suspiciously like characters from the Heresy for a while now, around the same time as the novels are released. See how the Master of the Armourey miniature is totally not Eidolon at all.

berzerkmonkey posted:

and how the Blood Angels are starting to realize that the Black Rage is a thing.
But.... how? The Black Rage is the marine being overwhelmed by the memories of Sanguinius' death, caused by taking geneseed from him after that to rebuild the Legion..... *sigh*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fellblade posted:

This has always been a thing, the Blood Angels went crazy fighting a buttload of daemons the first time Sanguinius fought the Bloodthirster who he fucks up on Terra later on. The flaw was always there just only caused by extreme circumstances, his death meant that that extreme circumstance is a memory stuck inside the head of every single Blood Angel, hence the Black Rage of 40k time period.
I don't remember it ever being there before now. I could go through the 2nd ed codex here but :effort:

Sometimes I feel like the Heresy books are just trying to outdo the main line stuff for grimdark, for no real reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was that they took geneseed from his corpse, so most of the later marines were made with the "magic gene memory" of being dead. It doesn't make sense that way, but it was what it was. Red Thirst I could see being a thing that was always there, but hidden. Black Rage was always a very specific silly thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH GW remembering the Primarch's names is a miracle of continuity. They've rarely bothered with keeping minor details like that straight between publications.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I checked, because I have nothing better to do. Apparently it's the Red Thirst which sometimes is literally the marine going nuts because he remember's Sanguinius' death. The Black Rage was a throwaway title for a special rule in 3rd ed.

Oh GW....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

The Red Thirst is the one where they crave the taste of blood and have to constantly fight their bloodlust, and is the result of a flaw in their gene-seed. The Black Rage is when on the eve of battle, they start reliving the final battles of Sanguinius, usually believing that they are themselves in fact Sanguinius, and that one is caused by some sort of psychic imprint left by the death of Sanguinius (who in addition to everything else had enormous psychic power).
No really, I just went through the 2nd and 3rd ed codexes. It's shuffled around a bit and the only reference to "Black Rage" is what's now known as Furious Charge in the main rulebook.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Totally a Malal plot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trast posted:

I wish Abnett would write a Sisters of Battle story. After reading the finale of the Saint I think he'd nail it big time.
The bit with Gaunt talking to the blind Sister was just really nicely put together too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Olanphonia posted:

I don't think this was mentioned yet, but for those of you who like Orky things they have released Deff Skwadron on the BL website for $17.50.
Well that's another thing on the list for Games Day....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CommissarMega posted:

And another outright heretical faction are the Phaenonites, who are as close to outright atheists as you can get in the 40Kverse.
Apart from worshippers of Nechoho, who is just a pretty chill warp entity who dislikes being called a god. We're just like you, squishy mortal, really!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Storm of Iron also has a geneseed repository raid IIRC.

EyeRChris posted:

Would love to read a story about a Khorne follower who is cold and calculating. That his subtle actions cause world wide conflict and greater fighting than a single person could do on their on.

...*Cough*
I mean blood for blood god! Skulls for Skull Throne! Souls for the soul eater!!!
IIRC the Konrad fantasy series had a few, but they're *very* oldschool. There's also the various Blood Pact characters that get to interact with the Ghosts and it's strongly implied that Heritor Asphodel is basically a mad scientist who just happens to enjoy making hideous murder machines.

Degenerate Star posted:

So I was reading one of James Swallows' Blood Angels books, and one of the plot points was that the Flesh Tearers and BA are running low on Marines, though for different reasons.

According to the various wikis, the Progenoid glands are mature at 5 or 10 years, depending on which one. However, they only harvest them when the Marine dies. Is there a reason they can't take them out every decade and put in new ones? It takes awhile to make new Marines, sure, but if there's enough gene-seed and enough hardcore humans out there to put them in, shouldn't they be able to keep up a steady supply?

Or is that just another angst-producing plot device? "These noble Marines, who are raged-out and possibly cannibal killers most of the time, are tragically doomed! Because they totally are."

"These other ones just killed each other in a civil war, so they just want to borrow some Space Marines from their relatives, and maybe also some cash."

Also, Swallow is terrible. "Rafn"? Really?
IIRC the Flesh Tearers are just waaaaay too into getting stuck in to every fight they can, and both them and the Blood Angels have a tendancy to die horribly during implantation. IIRC they can take one progenoid out of every marine, so technically you get an extra marine if you harvest the corpses.

Also Rafn is a Danish/Icelandic surname. I used to know a guy who went by it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes.

Seriously though, it has gone on a bit long, and there isn't a whole lot of advancement aside from characters getting killed. I've got them on my "Meh, I'm not in a rush, but I keep up with the series" list.

I think it would be nice to spice things up with an occasional side mission with them fighting someone other than Blood Pact.
Like that one with the Sons of Sek? I've kind of put the series onto my "I buy the Omnibus" list but I'm lazy like that. I'm kind of looking forward to the inevitable time they're stricken from the rolls due to horrible Abnetting.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I honestly would really enjoy reading a Gaunt story with them up against some Orks. Just plain normal, orky orks. Hell maybe even let the high command use them as elite commando troops even.
They kind of did both of those things. The second one on no less than two occasions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mikojan posted:

Anyways, Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars omnibus just got in the mail.
What can I expect besides dancing dreadnoughts?
A general feeling of confusion. When I read it back in 2nd ed days it was still totally different from the fluff at the time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Therion posted:

He just needs to either tie up the series or throw them into a new situation, like the Gereon stuff. His traditional "ho ho ho, command shafted us, time to fight Chaos in [wacky location]" got old really fast.
That kind of ended after the fourth book. The remainder were a progressively more tailored set of missions as Van Voytz took over, then Gereon doing the whole Will Gaunt ever get command back?!?!?! fakeout and then back to business.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, he just killed of Merrt, Dorden and Costin, all of which were pretty heavily featured in previous books. However, Abnett does introduce new characters each book to kill of. Basically, if someone suddenly pops into existance from a known squad, he will probably die.

But the main characters of the books all still live. I think the only really big ones that died are Corbec, Caffran, Soric, MkVenner and Dorden.
You forgot Bragg, and Gutes is actually mentioned a few times in earlier stories. What happens to Kolea is lame as hell, but the Saint fixes it so... negative grimdark I guess?. But seriously... have you read the books at all Therion? Like.... any of them? What happens to Dorden is incredibly lovely and don't even get me started on Soric. Gaunt himself doesn't get off scot free.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We already know how it ends (Hint: Hitler loses) so really they can just keep on backfilling detail until they run out of trees to print on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Damp? Soggy? Moist?

Nope, none of those work either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I am hopefully going to get a chance to talk to him as part of a comicbook thing, so I'll be sure to ask him why he hates us so much.

Trast posted:

Please do. I really do enjoy reading about the Imperial Guard in his books but let him know that being cannon fodder for the corrupt generals is grim enough without his buddy Cuu in the mix.
So following up on this, the comicbook thing fell through but I got to ask him at Games Day. Specifically I just asked him why he feels the need to make us goons suffer so much. Paraphrasing liberally, he said that the bad things happening to characters we care about prooves that he's doing a good job and that he feeds off our manly tears.

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey, guess I'm an idiot, but I just now made the connection that ADB's next book is probably the tie in to ForgeWorld's Horus Heresy release, since they are both dealing with Angron and have a Betrayer/Betrayal name going to them.

By the way, here is Forge World's Angron model

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Events/Angron-wep.html
A friend of mine grabbed the last one. Possibly ever. Annoyingly they only brought 60 copies of Deff Skwadron to the thing too.... for 10k+ attendees....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Emnity posted:

Rawne is my favourite to be honest :colbert:
Either you don't understand the rules or you really really do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Why are you all even bothering? The Southern Dandy clearly won the thread.

Trast posted:

Didn't someone in the thread mention seeing Abnett at a signing and say he enjoyed making all of his fanboys cry out in agony?
I extrapolated from his response. He actually seemed pretty cool and I wish that I was less star struck and had more time to chat instead of just being stuck in a queue with hundreds of other fanboys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

buyers remorse posted:

I have a bit of a question for those of you who are a bit more experienced with this literature and the whole "40k Universe" than I am, and apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. (A short perusal of this thread did not get me any results, but they might be there and I didn't spend enough time)

After having read the Gaunt's Ghost series, Ravenor, and Eisenhorn, along with the Ciaphas Cain series (and the Wiki), I can't figure out the purpose behind all the worship the Adeptus Mechanicus guys do. My understanding that they believe that the Emperor is part robot now and is their robot God and that he watches over the "spirits" in all engines and machinery. Does this mean that they don't really know how to fix anything or build new stuff unless they are some really important guy on Mars and just leave it up to the Emperor/the C'tan thing that the wiki says might be sleeping on Mars or whatever?

More often than not it seems like they don't really know what they're doing and just kind of assume that their cog-Emperor thing will sort it out if they just pray a lot over the engine. Or is this just the authors trying to show that the perception of the main characters of the story have very little understanding of the "techno-sorcery" that is going on when the tech-priests et al actually fix things?
You know how you used to blow into the cart of a NES game?

Also there was a fun comic about a marine's lost bolter floating around somewhere.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've never seen them mentioned as being organic in any way, but I have seen things mention that as long as it's not human-level intelligence it's okay. Same reason why Warhounds are mentioned as being like hunting dogs and Warlords like Bears.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That reminds me that I need to borrow Salvation's Reach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really enjoyed Embedded, even though the ending was "boom Abnett!". It really was proper oldschool "how will <x future tech> change society?" sci-fi and not just bolter porn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dude you're getting literature in my bolter porn. I'm not sure how this makes me feel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Space impotence?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zephro posted:

he really nails the various cultural influences that fed into 40K. So he knows enough about obscure Church history to really do the Christian aspects of the Imperium justice; he's familiar enough with comedia dell'arte to make a Harlequin dance convincing, he knows enough about 17th-century witch-mania to make his Inquistors work, he has a good command of Latin, etc.
He also made me aware that I speak Eldar, which was confusing as gently caress the first time I saw it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wesley Walker posted:

I haven't read Salvation's Reach yet, so maybe there's something else in there, but it's like I said in The Lost.

It would take me forever to find again since it's one paragraph in a giant omnibus.
I remember it as refering to Ravenor too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I see how we could get two things from half-rembering that alright. I do remember the specific "he came to a bad end, didn't he?" line from somewhere but I'm fine with admitting that I can't remember where and being too lazy to go look it up.

Caesar used lots of commas too. Commas are vital for making your writing last for millennia or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

Iron Star is really a short story, and Sabbat worlds in a short story collection, and doesn't deal with the ghosts at al, so I would guess that neither would be in an omnibus for the Victory.

However, I was wrong on the lost name for it.
Iron Star is actually in Sabbat Worlds.

But yeah, expect another 3-4 years wait depending on how fast he finishes the novels, with the last one hitting paperback within a year of the omnibus.