Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Big Willy Style posted:

Orks have their own, superior gods.

Has there been any GW fluff that pits Gork and Mork against the Chaos gods, or anything that even hints that they inhabit the same realms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thewittyname posted:

Has there been any GW fluff that pits Gork and Mork against the Chaos gods, or anything that even hints that they inhabit the same realms?

They've beaten up the chaos gods for a laugh a few times.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lyer posted:

I'm pretty sure that quite a few of Alpha legionnaires have "lost sight" of what they're trying to do in 10 millennia and that explains why some of them are corrupted. Honestly like the 2 missing primarchs, alpha legion is left intentionally ambiguous so that people can play on both sides of the fence in the table top. We'll probably never get an answer unless they decide to go forward with the story.

As far as humans and chaos go, I was under the impression that humanity has a disproportionate footprint in the warp. That's why chaos is/was so keen on turning humanity.

Outside of the 2 Primarchs and possibly their very inner circle, the rank-and-file Alpha Legionnaires wouldn't have known what the deal was in the first place.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Was one of the Emporer's goals to kill all the xenos, or was that another thing started by the Inquisition?

Finished Storm of Iron a couple weeks ago, and am halfway through Battle of the Fang. If Chris Wraight keeps this up, I think he'll earn a spot next to Abnett and ADB.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
There used to be talk about how the Emperor was friendly to species not hostile to humanity, but the HH books make it pretty clear that the Great Crusade was out to conquer the galaxy for humanity, and there was no room for subjugation, only extermination.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Yup, you've got it.

Wonderful story. The bit in the seminary with the 'baptism' is fantastic.

I wish Abnett would write a Sisters of Battle story. After reading the finale of the Saint I think he'd nail it big time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dan Abnett made the Ultramarines loving awesome. At this point I'm not sure there's anything he can't do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trast posted:

I wish Abnett would write a Sisters of Battle story. After reading the finale of the Saint I think he'd nail it big time.
The bit with Gaunt talking to the blind Sister was just really nicely put together too.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
I'm oddly curious for some reason to see how ADB would write Orks.

For anyone interested in the 2 collections coming out, Shadows of Treachery and Treacheries of the Space Marine, they will be available to those who preorder the ebook on the 7th. I preordered. What the hell. Abnett and ADB in one, ADB and Matt Farrer in another.

Also there is apparently going to be an art book in November.

Edit - New Ciaphas Cain in January

Double Edit - More Space Vikings from Christ Wraight next year too.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2012

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

wiegieman posted:

Dan Abnett made the Ultramarines loving awesome. At this point I'm not sure there's anything he can't do.

I'm reading Know no Fear at the moment and yes, this is very true.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

MisterFuzzles posted:

Edit - New Ciaphas Cain in January

Tau & Tyranids again?, when are we ever going to get the book about when Cain gets captured by the dark eldar? It's been mentioned in passing by cain in the other books like 3 or 4 times.

Just finished Fear to Tread and it's an odd one, the storyline itself should have had me scrambling to finish it but James Swallow's writing always leaves me :effort: . It does however have some amazing parts such as an entire planet gets possessed, the marines have to fight daemons made from concrete and rebar, oh and a giant snake that is literally a tube tunnel. They escape, start bombing the poo poo out of the planet, so the planet starts throwing mountains at them.

It was also mentioned earlier in the thread that there may be a continuity error with regards to the red thirst and black rage, but I don't think there is. Sanguinius realises the cat's out of the bag about the red thirst but also hopes his sons never find out about the "terrible blackness" (I'm paraphrasing, badly) lurking deeper within their genetics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Legion was published in 2008. The first Dawn of War game featured the Alpha Legion, where they came off as just another bunch of mutated Chaos freaks who fight and destroy just for the lulz. One of them becomes a daemon prince. I'm guessing the idea that they're a bunch of subversives who secretly hate Chaos and plot its downfall is pretty new.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was it in Deliverance Lost where they have Alpharius hanging out with a Cabal alien that he puts out an airlock because he decides he doesn't like the Help Horus Kill Everyone plan and prefers to make his Alpha marines stronger using the secret genetic stuff taken from the Emperor's lab?

Didn't really feel like the same Alpharius from Legion to me. I guess hanging around Horus a whole bunch probably had some detrimental effects.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 5, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Was it in Deliverance Lost where they have Alpharius hanging out with a Cabal alien that he puts out an airlock because he decides he doesn't like the Help Horus Kill Everyone plan and prefers to make his Alpha marines stronger using the secret genetic stuff taken from the Emperor's lab?

Didn't really feel like the same Alpharius from Legion to me. I guess hanging around Horus a whole bunch probably had some detrimental effects.

It could be what you said, or it could just be that Gav Thorpe is a lovely writer.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The problem with Abnett and ADB writing for Black Library is that they set up awesome stuff and the other writers can't handle it and either misunderstand it or use it in lovely, ham-handed plot twists. Legion is a great book and what he did with the pretty much undefined Alpha Legion was really clever, but we're going to end up with a lot of uncreative or nonsensical "I am Alpharius!" moments in its wake.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Thewittyname posted:

If the Gods' strengths are based on presence in the warp, then the ork gods are at the top of the totem pole completely unchallenged and too busy fighting each other to really care about the punks living in the Eye of Terror. I read a GW line about the Orks that every deep space probe the Imperium has sent out in any direction is detecting Orks no matter how far out they go, implying that the Imperium/Eldar/Tau are just tiny islands in a massive sea of green.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the fluff I've read so far, the line between sorcery and "conventional" psychic powers is not well defined. The only thing I'm clear on is that sorcery involves explicit pacts with Chaos. Looking at specific powers described in rulebooks, there is a surprising amount of overlap.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

In the fluff I've read so far, the line between sorcery and "conventional" psychic powers is not well defined. The only thing I'm clear on is that sorcery involves explicit pacts with Chaos. Looking at specific powers described in rulebooks, there is a surprising amount of overlap.

Psychic is using only your willpower to control the warp, Sorcery is using anything else. Sorcery often includes psychic powers but not always. That's the way I've always looked at it anyway.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fellblade posted:

Psychic is using only your willpower to control the warp, Sorcery is using anything else. Sorcery often includes psychic powers but not always. That's the way I've always looked at it anyway.

You have to be a psyker to use psychic powers but you don't have to be one to use sorcery, it just simplifies things if you are.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Magnus the Red and the Radical Inquisitors think that sorcery can be put to good use for the Imperium. There must be more to it than a simple power boost. There must be things you can do through sorcery that you simply can never do as a pure-hearted psyker.

When Magnus the Red appeared before the Emperor with his astral form, the Emperor instantly realized Magnus disobeyed His orders and used sorcery. Magnus was the most powerful of the Primarchs.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I always thought the split was more "It's psychic if we like it, its sorcery if we don't". Certainly a better fit for the Imperial mentality

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I still haven't figured how the Wolves can still use Rune Priests while everyone else had to disband their Librariums. I know they justified it by saying they drew their powers from Fenris, but I can't imagine that excuse being given a free pass by Russ, much less the Emperor.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Shroud posted:

I still haven't figured how the Wolves can still use Rune Priests while everyone else had to disband their Librariums. I know they justified it by saying they drew their powers from Fenris, but I can't imagine that excuse being given a free pass by Russ, much less the Emperor.

Well Nikea was after the Emperor decided to stop crusading and return to terra, so he wasn't around to catch them. And Horus got corrupted soon after so he probably wanted them to combine the warp and bloodlust hoping they would fall.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

The Wolves were apparently in part cultivated as the assassin Legion in case one of the others went rogue, so the Emperor probably looked the other way, knowing that it would be helpful to have his chosen cleansing legion already prepared to combat warpcraft that traitors would inevitably use.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Allow me to say that "Brotherhood of Snake" was total utter gar-bitch! So tedious.

And why the poo poo isn't Nemesis in the OP under fantastic novels? It had everything going for it.

(Great thread by the way.)

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Death by Cranes posted:

Allow me to say that "Brotherhood of Snake" was total utter gar-bitch! So tedious.

And why the poo poo isn't Nemesis in the OP under fantastic novels? It had everything going for it.

Brotherhood of the Snake is a decent book, and Nemesis isn't there because it's widely considered to be poo poo.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Death by Cranes posted:

Nemesis utterly squandered its premise of 'top assassins of the Imperium on a desperate mission to stop Horus' by having everyone act like massive babies and children when they're meant to be some of the most lethal mortal humans going.

I was always pretty disappointed it wasn't about how the assassin temples dealt with the schism, just set on Terra. Like Mechanicum dealt with Mars. That'd be sweet.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Nemesis was a bad Heresy book but it was a pretty fun 40k book. Taken out of the context of the ~terrible tragedy~ of the heresy a bunch of 40k assassins acting like assholes is pretty funny, especially the eversor. I enjoyed it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thulsa Doom posted:

Nemesis was a bad Heresy book but it was a pretty fun 40k book. Taken out of the context of the ~terrible tragedy~ of the heresy a bunch of 40k assassins acting like assholes is pretty funny, especially the eversor. I enjoyed it.
Yeah, it wasn't a good HH book, but as a standalone, it wasn't a bad read. I think it was a case of "Woah! This Heresy thing is really taking off - do we have any manuscripts that we can shoehorn in?"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really hate the fact that Dan Abnett's books are always in hardcover for first releaase. They're twice as expensive and don't fit in well with my mountain of Warhammer paperbacks :smith:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Death by Cranes posted:

Because you have terrible taste in books. Terrible.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I don't think this was mentioned yet, but for those of you who like Orky things they have released Deff Skwadron on the BL website for $17.50.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Who the gently caress says gar-bitch? Also Brotherhood of the Snake was pretty solid. If only more authors could give marines half as much character.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Death by Cranes posted:

Brothes of the Snake was incredible compared to most SM novels, and Nemesis was just a complete waste of an interesting topic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Brothers of the Snake was good for the first section, but after that it just became really stupid.

That chapter has the most incompetent Librarium in the Imperium.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Brothers of the Snake was good for the first section, but after that it just became really stupid.

That chapter has the most incompetent Librarium in the Imperium.

I'd say the fluff has moved past BotS a little bit. It's still a solid book with an engaging arc and characters, but it definitely focuses more on the "warrior monk" archetype of space marine that fights largely out of honor, tradition, and ritual. Tactical realism nerds might find issue with it, but they should be ignored anyway so who cares.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 6, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Olanphonia posted:

I don't think this was mentioned yet, but for those of you who like Orky things they have released Deff Skwadron on the BL website for $17.50.
Well that's another thing on the list for Games Day....

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

Olanphonia posted:

Aww, orks are just the most adorable fungus-based killing machines ever!

Has anyone ever introduced them to the Tyranids?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Degenerate Star posted:

Has anyone ever introduced them to the Tyranids?

Inquisitor Kryptmann did and it turned out to be a loving terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
After reading Eisenhorn and Ravenor plus seeing how decently the THQ games portray Inquisitors I've looked at the real radicals as the same sort of person as say a military general who would use chemical weapons to win a war. Sure it might do the trick but that doesn't make it the right decision. Same thing for having your own entourage of demons bound to your friend's corpses.