Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flytrap posted:

I ordered the first Gotrek and Felix omnibus and they send me the second by accident. Think it's okay to start off with Dragonslayer or should I finangle with Amazon's barely functional return policies? It's from a third party seller so while they'll prolly send me the box to send it back soon it'll be anywhere from six months to six years before they refund or replace it.
Just try track down the first omnibus again TBH. They're not super long reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah but pretty sure he doesn't get there until it's all over and carries the bodies back.
He teleports up and gets an arm stuck through a wall, so he has Sigismund head around to the other side of it, take his sword, and go do stuff with it while he works out how to either break the wall up or remove his arm. That's how the Emperor's Champion became a thing for the Imperial Fists and their successor chapters.
Of course that's all looking likely to be retconned at this point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

It already is since Siggy's got the black sword directly from the Emperor and is on a one man crusade to murder as many traitor officers as he can reach on the ground.
Yeah but the rest of it may explain the Jesus tempted in the desert reference they're doing. Assuming they haven't decided to just totally ignore it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FPyat posted:

His Last Command gets sadder thinking of all the Soviet citizens and soldiers who were put in that position and were not given a reprieve by military justice.
I never considered that this ws what Abnett was referencing before, but you may be onto something with that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The inference being drawn is that it's specifically a reference to what popular history claims happened to Soviet partisans that stayed behind to fight the Nazis even after everyone else had ignored Stalin's order not to withdraw. The justification you see thrown around is that they were "corrupted" by not being under Soviet control and got notions about being able to run their own countries after the war, thus the had to be killed. Of course the sources for this are people who managed to not get executed and were real mad about the Soviets so pinches of salt are required when trusting it, same as how GW's Commissars are based largely on German accounts of how evil the Soviets were when everyone suddenly realised that they needed someone to stand between France and Russia.

Black Griffon posted:

It's been years since I've read it and the only person concurring with the statement has a Thatcher pfp, someone tell me what to feel here.
It's a red-text from making someone in this thread real mad about Ghazkull. It has never stopped being funny so I refuse to remove it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Plucky Brit posted:

That is not the sum-total of what the NKVD did to Soviet troops. Plenty of POW camp escapees and even whole units who broke out of encirclements were tried and convicted of being saboteurs and spies. This is of course not counting the Katyn massacre or the many other less famous atrocities.

I've not come across anything in the 40K commissars that compares to the NKVD's actions before and during WW2 (or for that matter the much worse stuff that the Nazis did). I don't think they should be included as it's a very dark part of human history and putting it in a fantasy book feels like trivialising what real people went through. I'm fine with ruthless commissars in 40K, particularly as for all the talk of grimdark the truly ruthless commissars tend to end up getting killed by troopers.
"Exterminatus".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

I feel like we're on the cusp of someone quoting where the word 'Decimate' comes from, we're at that point of intellectualism 101.
I didn't spend five years being taught by the Centurion from Life of Brian to let mis-use of words like that slide :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

Well now I don't even know why I've got this picture of Che Guevara on my wall at all!
It's because he's Irish.

Or so Jim Fitzpatrick will tell you, at length.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you ever get the chance it's worth listening to Jim talk. Between the famous Che picture, the Thin Lizzy album covers, and the time he caused Disney to almost lose control of Captain America he's got some spectacular stories.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To a point this is why most victories against Tyranids on planets are just mopping up operations on the ground after having managed to distract the fleet away from the planet and dealing with it there. Turns out in space it's comparatively easy to just fire lots of poo poo at the hive fleets and have them chase you into a gravity well where the bioships get stuck and then bombard it from far away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sephyr posted:

I love the rogal Dorn short story that is about how he had to be the pretorian because he always so strongly embodied the best ideals of the Imperium and it's a story of him waging a campaign against a human empire that has amazing tactical cohesion and can have fleets just zap in and out through the territory. After the legion finally breaks them and he's negotiating the peace terms, he's all "Oh, you guys will love to be reunited with the human realm, and the Mechanicum will be interested in the tiny implants in your brains that give you that tactical integration!" And they go "Oh those are not implants, they are gene-mods. It was too much trouble to keep installing them so we added them to our DNA" and he just blinks, leaves the room and tells his troops "Kill them. Every last one."

Which is why all the high-minded noble "Oh woe, our awesome ideals are brought so low by this betrayal, we are such humanists!" talk around the loyal primarchs and Vulkan/Sanguinius especially always feels -really- forced. These guys were setting civilizations on fire to the last child because they got a xenos vaccine, not that long ago, and all of a sudden they're going on like Cpt Jean-Luc Picard!

The best authors know how to play with that as it being the core of the Imperial moral blindspot, but it's rarer than it should be. I remember one author even had a good afterword about how when things went to poo poo in the first book, and Horus gave the order to open fir eon another, friendly human civilisation, his command was "Illuminate them!", and how much hubris tha tlittle detail reveals.
There's some interesting hypocrisy there what with Dorn being ||the leader of a whole pile of gene-modded manbabies.||.

Also I think the "illuminate them" bit is perhaps both hubris and a simple pun on the 20th century saying "light 'em up".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

habeasdorkus posted:

Those references don't really work in the same way, though, since the point is we actually recognize the ones from our history whereas a famous quote by someone in 14k is just a line spoken by whatever character is repeating it in the work we're reading. We don't actually get the reference, and it has to be pointed out to us rather than "oh, this is a Verdun reference" is obvious to us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for increasing the amount of poo poo that's mentioned from that huge span of time, it just can't be tossed off as a reference if we don't have any context telling us it's a reference. By way of comparison, Ravenor's "Spheres of Longing" works as a reference in the Gaunt's Ghosts series because we know what and who it's referencing.
I think that may be a case of Abnett getting the chance to backfill the silly detail he invented.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The last Codex.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like you need to activate Windows.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That feels like they were approached to do The Last Man on Earth and reacted appropriately.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FPyat posted:

I only just today found out that Tyranids with ranged weapons have guns they hold in their hands. That's something.
Technically those are just other Tyranids that are being carried for the purpose of puking on the enemy. Or spitting out little beetles at the enemy. Or firing penises at the enemy.

All of these are, more or less, real weapons that they have actually had.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

Or the Biovore which is literally just a walking penis gun
While that is correct and spore mines are hillarious, the Spike Rifle reminds me of the types of Octpus and Sea Slug that don't want to get eaten when mating so they have detatchable penises to fire at females. Or each other. Does this result in what I like to think of as twitch-shooter penis 360 noscope duels?

Yes. Yes it does.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Roll them dice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Black Griffon posted:

So I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I've named my sloop (small boat) in Sea of Thieves 'Only in Death', my galleon (large boat) 'Armour of Contempt' and now I need a name for my brigantine (medium boat). Getting the in-game money for a ship is a lot of effort, and changing it costs real money, so I want a name that has the same sort of punch and gravitas as the other two.

I considered 'The End and the Death', but then I'd be using "Death" twice and also it's kind of contextual.
The Serpent and the Saint? Bonus points if you can mount a figurehead of someone being eaten by a big snake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lite_sleepr posted:

Are there any omnibus or chronological collections of stuff about Ciaphas Cain? He sounds like a proper guardsman but in a commissar uniform.
IIRC there have been at least four omnibus editions of his stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Picked up The Wraithbone Phoenix yesterday. Gonna crack it open this weekend.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like it's also just a weird Jeremy Corbyn reference that didn't predict him getting booted from the Labour Party.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

Perfectly on brand for Primarch Corbyn's legions having a bit of blue on blue though with the entrenched psycho wing having a go at the "fallen".

I guess we'll see Kier Luther appear soon enough, guy would make a wicked chaos spawn.
It really does work with both versions of the fallen story.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Jerry Cornelius???
:aaaaa:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

I've tried, and I just can't get into them. I don't like the whole background. The dumb colour magic planes, the somehow even more egregious naming conventions than 40k, the whole fantasy kitchen sink dialed up to 11 feel of it.

Plus I still hold a candle in my heart for the Old World. Hell, I'm GM'ing the WRFP 4E version of The Enemy Within right now.
To be fair, the colour magic planes are just the winds of magic separated out into their own little worlds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Not sure why the Emperor needed their elbows to be like that but I don't have the brainpower to comprehend His plan.
It's a really weird interpretation of how a couter attaches a vambrace to a rerebrace I guess?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Chaos makes a lot more sense when you read Elric and some dude sits him down and just explains all this to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

peanut- posted:

Listening to Titanicus - love that Abnett worked in a guy who spends the apocalypse shut up indoors painting his little models.
That was loving prescient of him.