Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Year end principle debt paid off: $26,453
Additional Savings (beyond 401k): $10,230

Feels pretty good. Hopefully 2014 will bring more of the same with more debt pay down, shooting for $35K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just got a promotion and a 10% raise. Hell yeah!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

revengeanceful posted:

Sent in the last payment for one of my student loans. Between my wife and I, we still have a lot of student loan debt to get through, but it feels really good to have one of them out of the way.

Good job (we are in the same situation) and keep it up!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Did it when I bought my house to get a better package deal. They send you a check for whatever you have left.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

4% raise and a 12% bonus. Super nice.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sold my car today so I got an extra $1800 to play around with. Granted a bought a new car so not really ahead. Glad to not have 3 cars for 2 people though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pushed past $30k paid to student loans so far this year. On pace to get out from under them in 16 months (shooting for fast as I can though). :woop:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another student loan for the wife is gone. Woop.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$39,325 debt reduction as of the end of September. Always crazy when you actually sit down and look at it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Under $40K now, Started year at $72K. 1 year and 23 days to get rid of them on my goal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another student loan is no more. 5 down on the year and 4 to go.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fuzzy_logic posted:

How do you guys make such massive payments? I'm only managing to overpay by a couple hundred every month, but I also live in a really high COL area. I can't imagine how you send five thousand out the door in one month x_x

Make a lot of money and try not to spend a lot of it. Before the situation I got in at the end of last year I would pay $1400 minimum on student loans per month. Then I would tally up how much I had left over each month and drop another $1-2K on them. It really is only possible due to high incomes though (or maddening frugality).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

5.5% Raise, 14% Bonus, $3750 tax return. Base Salary is over 100K now :woop:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Way to go! I jumped on a groupon for some ridiculous $1120 online PMP prep course marked down to $80. I figured even at that price if it's not that great, no huge loss. Gonna hopefully go through the modules soon and sit for the test later this year to get my cert. Trouble is that it won't be worth poo poo pretty much at my current company (MBAs and PMPs aren't really that useful in our R&D org, anyway), but if I go looking at other companies I can see it being extremely useful to have.

If it makes you feel better the PMP is a worthless cert in reality that has somehow made itself an important part of various industries.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A lot of the construction industry, many utilities, a lot of the big civil engineering consulting firms, somehow it is even getting into the software engineering (based on a bunch of my friends). I know a lot of people who have taken the PMP and everyone thinks it is a big money grab and a joke. I mean you take a 40 hour class just for the right to take the exam. I know a few people who never have done any PM work who passed the exam. It is just pretty crazy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Might as well. I see it turning into another MBA. Lots of people will get it thinking it will get them the job they want but realistically for many people you need to already have that job and it will get you to the next level. Might be a few years away but I keep seeing PMP on more and more signatures and many of them don't work in project management at all.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spending...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good day today.

6.78% Raise
14% Bonus

Really can't complain right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Opened a ROTH IRA and put $5,500 in for last year. Puts my current retirement at $52,000 in Vanguard stuff and ~$50,000 in my pension. Feels pretty good.

Could probably put my 2016 $5,500 in now but I am going to wait since I may be pushing up against the limits and have other stuff I would like to do with the money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Way to go man! Good luck on finishing out the student loans.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sold my house yesterday.

Paid off my student loans today.

Paying off my car probably Friday.

Debt free and moving on to new big things.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

even $150k (tweaked the principle payment to get to it exactly)

:feelsgood:

Nice job you nerd.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

5.4% raise and a 14.6% bonus. Good times!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

Congrats! Seems like a little bit of an odd time for a bonus...is it performance based or just good times at the firm or something else?

It is just when my company does raises and bonuses. Raises always take effect 3/16 and the bonus is paid 3/11, 12, or 13 depending on which day is a weekend and such. They also put all of last years 401K match in last week. They told me my raise and bonus today though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also in the "contributions to thread" department, while it hadn't been "interest bearing" debt for a long time, this morning's paycheck was the final blow struck against credit card debt from when we were young, poor, trainees living beyond our means.

:woop: officially credit card debt free! :woop:

Now nothing is subject to an interest rate above 8!

Nice job! Has to feel ooooooohhhhh so good!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just turned 31 and my retirement accounts just went over $100,000. now to get to $750K in the next 9 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Blinky2099 posted:

Is $850k your FI number? Nice work. I'm at ~15%-to-FI as well and it feels good to be making real progress

I am not really sure at this point. It is something I need to figure out but just haven't had the time. I know exactly what I have spent since 2013 so that is a starting point. Looking at the last year or so I would say I am living on about $4000 a month (taking out my saving).

So that would be $48,000 a year, at a 4% withdraw rate that will put me needing $1.2M (kinda of ignoring taxes here so not exactly right). The hard part is figuring out the gap between retirement and being able to touch the IRA's and 401K. I started a taxable account this year and every raise I get the net is going to be added to the monthly amount I put in there. I started with $500 a month this year and want to bump it to $750 next year, then $1000, $1250, etc. I am trying to balance the saving and the still living and having fun. I mean I am not shy about spending money, my vacation spend to date will show that for sure. Obviously a lot to think about but just trying to move in the right direction.

IllegallySober posted:

How does one go about calculating their FI number?

Figure out what you need to live on per month, multiply by 12 to get the yearly number, guess your taxes and add that in, figure out a "safe" withdraw rate (3-5%) by figuring out if you want your money to last right until your predicted death or longer, divide by that number, and that will get you there. If you plan to still work some (maybe consulting in your chosen career) it throws a wrench in things. It can be simple but it is also complicated.

It is discussed in the Four Pillars and Bogelheads guide, both worth reading.

KitConstantine posted:

I have over 1000 dollars in my savings account for the first time ever (sad at 25 but whatever) and my car insurance dropped by 70 bucks a month! I do have retirement savings separate at least but still! Fixing my poo poo from loving up in college/having horrible depression is finally paying off! Plus over 600 in my checking without my next paycheck on Friday! At least I dont have any credit card debt either thank god

Hey man, progress is progress. Great Job!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job man! Having a roommate is killer in keeping the expenses down.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

My roommate/renter just told me he's buying a condo and moving out. It's been a good living arrangement over the last year. Gonna miss his dog and the cash flow, especially since I'm looking at getting my siding and windows replaced now. :(

Time to get another one.

I would consider buying again to make this situation happen (other then people loving up my knives and pans). I rent with my GF now which is really nice.

My Ex bought me out of our house and moved back there recently and has 2 roommates. Her all in "rent" is $200 a month.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Higgy posted:

Breaking my posting hiatus to share this news. My goal since I started working after college was to have 6-figures in retirement accounts by the time was 30. Checking this morning and I’ve tipped over that 100k mark 6 months prior to my 30th birthday. Feels good to finally see that number.

Here comes the 30% market downturn in 5 months :)

Seriously though good job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Keep killing it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Where are you getting almost 3% on a savings account?

Seriously! Sounds like some hoops attached but maybe worth it. I thought 1.35% was good at Ally.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Higgy posted:

posted: November 13, 2017

I'd like to uh...retract my previous post.

Gonna find a way to lose my log in to Vanguard for a bit.

:) remember it is the long game.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job.

Going from (guessing here) 25-30K to 150-200K in 8 years is really impressive.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Still pretty awesome job!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The average raise at my current company was 2% last year, and not everyone got one. CoL in the Denver area went up by 3.5%.

Our target based on how we did was 2.75% in February during the raise allocation. Some did better, others worse.

I was looking around the net on COL and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer. They figure out all the prices and then build the index. All the US = 100, say Denver is 105, it is 5% more expensive to live here. Easy enough to understand. What is 100 though? $30K? $40K? $60K?

Say it is $40K and COL goes up by 3.5% as you note, so now it is $41,400 that you need. So now you get a 2% raise, if you are maxing $40K, you are not keeping up. What about if you are making $80K? the 2% gets you $1600 which gets you $200 more than the COL going up.

So what does 100 equal? Or does that not even matter?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Flambeau posted:

In December I completed community college at age 31 with an Associates of Applied Science in Healthcare Management. The next day I started at a well-regarded, private mental/behavioral health group practice with about a dozen clinicians and 3-4 admin staff. Just 30 hrs/wk to begin, but after 2 months I got moved to full-time with salary and benefits (not a great package tbh, but it's a small place), and 3 months after that I got 13% raise. On Friday - exactly 6 months after I started - the office manager informed me that she was demoting herself to a part-time position and naming me Administrative Lead (with raise to be discussed Monday).
I'm going to write a thank-you letter to my college - I really can't emphasize how on-point the curriculum was for this kind of setting.

Nice job! sounds like you have been working hard. Great to see it pay off!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

freeasinbeer posted:

Maxed out my brand new Roth for the year, and upped my 401k withdrawal so that it should max it out by the end of the year.

Downside is that makes me concerned about having enough to continue to grow my e-fund or failing to curb expenses enough that I start spending more then I should.

I am also in the midst of a promotion and depending on when it hits and how much it is I might hit income limits for Roth, I am already on the edge but maxing my 401k to come in just under the limit.

If you are close to hitting the ROTH phase out what are you spending all that money on that you don't think you can grow your efund... holy buckets.

I mean good job and all but that just blows me away.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slowly and methodically budgeting and investing and my net worth (cash and stock) is over $250K now. A lot of that is variable as it is tied to the market but it feels good to watch efforts working over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Came here to post that my net worth (cash and retirement accounts) is now over $50k and it feels nice to see that and you just have to one up me.

But congrats all the same!

:) Way to go. The nice thing as as you see it go up and just gets easier and easier to pump in that money. And the compounding gets better and better.