Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I recently got an entirely-positive review and a raise with it though I won't know how much until payday (Friday).

That's good because I bought a car I'm not familiar with and it has some things that need fixing, so the extra money will help in the short term to sort those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys!

I have a question and I guess this may be the best place to ask. I don't know if it deserves its own thread.

I left my former job in December because they announced they were shuttering the plant and moving it to Mexico. In my two years there, I was listed as 'inventor' on some patents. I had signed paperwork as I was hired in there stating that anything I worked on while there was the company's property. I understand that this is standard practice in a lot of places.

I got a letter last week full of legalese basically stating their intention to "aquire the entire right, title and interest in and to said patent." The document is officially titled a "Combined assignment and declaration of patent application." It looks like they will give me ten dollars and they request that I sign, notarize and send this back to them. I can post the full text if necessary.

I don't really care, since I designed it for them and I was under the assumption that while my name was on it, it (the patent) belonged to the company.

Thoughts? Should I sign it, get it notarized, send it in and forget about it? Or am I being swindled out of billions?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

It kind of sounds like you should ask the law thread about that.

The law school megathread? Or is there another one somewhere?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Defiant until the end, I disregarded the BFC advice of 'do never buy' and am buying a house. Whether that's getting either ahead or back behind, I'm not terribly sure.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Oh boy. Congrats anyway. What ever happened with your job? Did you find something else or relocate?

Oh, the one that was moving to Mexico? Yeah, the day they made the announcement official, I put my two weeks in. I found a job closer to home that pays six grand more per year. So gently caress them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a really good review at work yesterday and received a small bump in pay (only 2% which is what everybody got) but with how much I make it's like an extra 1,600 a year. I did make them give me a pretty big raise last year about this time when I got an offer from another company, took it to my boss and got about 7k a year more and another week of vacation, so I'm pretty happy.

Now if I could just stop buying stupid things and put more into savings...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ralith posted:

Isn't that just barely keeping pace with inflation, i.e. an effective 0% raise?

Yeah but combined with the one I forced earlier, I'm OK with it. I'd obviously like more but I got what I expected and what everybody else received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The average raise at my current company was 2% last year, and not everyone got one. CoL in the Denver area went up by 3.5%.

Cost of living in a smallish town in the midwest went up by two percent so at least I'm keeping up?

What does kind of suck though is that our reviews were due April 1st, and we're just getting them this week - we're going to get our pay increase from then until early July all at once but it's effectively giving the company an interest free loan for three months. Whatever, more money is money money I guess.