Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My wife and I recently hit 10k of savings after a little more than a year out of college, in spite of having our first kid this last October and her not working. This is still mostly due to her, because I like shiny gadgets and games far too much. Thanks honey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There kinda is with this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529425

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I finally saved up $10,000 and then I quit my job and blew it all on starting my own business. Good thing I like to work 80 hrs a week and not get paid.
I'm sorry, but this is the incremental improvements thread, not the decremental regressions thread.

Just kidding, good luck. :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

I have contacted several of our most used vendors, and documented our yearly spend with them, demanding a fixed rebate - and gotten accounts giving me from 10 to 25%
Wait what? You were just like, "We spent a lot of money at your store, give us some of it back"? And they did it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ntd posted:

I work at a University so the scale is a lot bigger, but our vendors do the same, from 2-5% back at the end of the year. Everything from IT to office supplies.
Yeah I can see that when you're a business or other large organization. But an individual or family?

Happy Hat posted:

No... The proper way of phrasing it is probably 'discount on future purchases' - sorry.. English is not my first language.
Hmm well that does make more sense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It kind of sounds like you should ask the law thread about that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's awesome, but be careful: having more room tends to result in buying more (unneeded) stuff.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Oh, the one that was moving to Mexico? Yeah, the day they made the announcement official, I put my two weeks in. I found a job closer to home that pays six grand more per year. So gently caress them.
Good for you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Complained to my boss a while back about my tiny yearly raise, last week he finished arguing with HR and I got a 5k bump.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Wife got into grad school so I had to get a new job in that area. Just accepted an offer to work at Google for more money; it's in a more expensive area, but should still effectively make slightly more than right now, and having Google on my resume will be great for my career.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's not magical, but having money is nice.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/YcP25WP.jpg

:toot:

(I hope that image looks OK, posting from phone)
(why can't you take screenshots from within the personalcapital app? it is a mystery)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Back above 100k! Dipped under for a while due to wife's grad school tuition, but I'm hoping we're above permanently this time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

100.09%
I can see why you got the promotion, not many engineers would allocate the portion of their raise going to savings out to five significant figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Personal Capital claims our net worth just passed the quarter mil mark! And it slightly underestimates things since it can't see the cash in my deutsche bank account. The second half of last year our net worth basically stalled/only slowly inched up due to moving continents, but this still feels pretty good.