Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After a dog adoption and Christmas spending I was still able to go +$800 to my savings this month. This, with a 2% equity pay raise and a 3% merit based raise made December the first net positive month since a moneybomb of a wedding earlier in the fall (which was cashed but still painful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My savings are finally the highest they've ever been. They've fluctuated at or around $5k for over 2 years and kept dipping due to one thing or another (Hey, buy a new car! Hey, get married!). I haven't had to dip into savings in almost 6 months now, which is a big accomplishment for me. A couple more months and I'll tip over 5-digits. This is unprecedented and exciting for me.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

And with that, my student loan debt is now $0. Next step is to throw another $1k at my car loan and I'll own that outright too. Thanks tax refunds!

Just in time to take on mortgage debt when I close on my first house in a month. :haw:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just sat for and passed the PMP certification exam today! 4-day bootcamp was $1900, test was $500+ and I paid $0 since my work tripped over themselves to pay for it all (even told me to charge labor for the 4 days I was sitting in that class). Now let's see if I can turn this into a nice little promotion/raise this year. :dance:

Also found out the mortgage appraisal came back good, the mortgage was approved and we're all set to close in two weeks and I get to get out of DC and back to a nice low cost of living area. Life is good.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice. It's a cert that's worth its weight in gold in the right place. Feel free to PM me when you get closer, happy to help with PMI's weird way of looking at the world and their application process.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much everything said here about the PMP is accurate. I work as a federal contractor doing direct project management/project controls so that cert was basically a requirement for me to move into a real management position within my company. Now let's see if I can swing that for a real "Incremental Improvements" post.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I applied for a promotion posting on the program I support at work, interviewed really well and go the position! 12% raise and a new organizational group. Also I can finally drop the "acting" title and actually get paid for my level of responsibility.

At the same time, Wife just got notified she got the management position she applied for which will take her full time instead of part-time with about $1.00/hr raise so that's effectively a 50% increase in income from her end. I'm pretty jazzed on all this. :dance:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just did some 2016 start net worth calcs and found that I'm nearly 6-figures net worth at 27. Student loans were aggressively paid off thanks to a lucrative work assignment, the cars are paid off and my 401k survived decently over the last year. Not to mention that this is the same year I moved cross-country, bought a house, replaced all the major 15+ year old appliances and managed to keep a healthy 6-month emergency reserve with zero debt aside from the mortgage. Additionally, I managed to snag a promotion at work that came with a 12% raise and a potential extra 2% in the next couple of weeks.

I totally realize this is a humblebrag but I'm truly excited for the first time about where I sit financially and professionally. Here's to a happy 2016 where I can do the things I want to this 20 year old house and cash all of it!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally pulled the trigger and started up a Roth IRA. I've had $10k sitting in a savings account for "emergencies" and decided to start making some of that earn more than .5% interest. :dance:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Breaking my posting hiatus to share this news. My goal since I started working after college was to have 6-figures in retirement accounts by the time was 30. Checking this morning and I’ve tipped over that 100k mark 6 months prior to my 30th birthday. Feels good to finally see that number.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congrats on the huge news! Now see how long it takes to 10x, and then 100x :getin:

Compound Interest, hold me in your arms.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Higgy posted:

Breaking my posting hiatus to share this news. My goal since I started working after college was to have 6-figures in retirement accounts by the time was 30. Checking this morning and I’ve tipped over that 100k mark 6 months prior to my 30th birthday. Feels good to finally see that number.

spwrozek posted:

Here comes the 30% market downturn in 5 months :)

Seriously though good job.

posted: November 13, 2017

I'd like to uh...retract my previous post.

Gonna find a way to lose my log in to Vanguard for a bit.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

:) remember it is the long game.

Oh, I know. I got excited riding on the unchecked climb to the top of mountain this past year and I knew it was due for a correction but, still.

I still feel like my goals are on track, I've got a good 30-35 years for that money to keep growing so I just need to forget about it for a bit.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I got approved for an apartment today, at an actual complex! Around 4 years ago, I had a 410 credit score with roughly 20k in debt and anywhere that I tried to get approval at would pretty much deny me same day. I never post in here but I lurk a lot and have got a lot of great information over the years. My credit score has shot up to just under 700 and my debt is almost entirely gone or on a good payment plan that is helping me raise my credit. I’m so excited

:unsmith: That’s awesome! Enjoy it and keep up the progress.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my own:

Just paid off my last tuition payment for my masters after getting my reimbursement through work for last semester. Once I finish in June, I’ll have a $0 debt Masters and still have one more reimbursement coming at the end which will be around $3k I can drop straight into my savings account.

On track to pay off this dumb $7k personal loan we took out through USAA last year for some home improvement we did. Last payment will be next month which is exactly 1 year after taking it out and 3 years ahead of the payment term. Then I’m planning on snowballing those extra payments into my wife’s car loan to pay that off a year early.

Goal is to only have the mortgage by the end of the year and it’s goin on pace. :dance:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting a little from the corporate thread, but I finally got a long awaited promotion made official and it came with a 25% raise. I'm blown away that management went to bat for me on this one and now I need to avoid lifestyle creep which is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

A major milestone for me too:

Only remaining debt is an ancient student loan at 1.625% interest :toot:

:aaaaa: Very nice!