Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What about the other games with the same basic engine of OD&D?

Gamma World, Boot Hill, Metamorphosis Alpha or the bastion of insanity that is the Arduin Grimoire...

Once upon a time back in the 70's there was a gentleman named Dave Hargrave. He had just gotten back from Vietnam and he started playing this new game that came in a white box. Now Dave was a creative kind of guy and he didn't like what Gygax and Arneson had done in some places so he decided to fix them.

Here are some scans of one of the first third party products for D&D. Volume 1 of the Arduin Grimoire...

The Cover

Stat Maximums for Race

Special Abilities Random Roll Charts

'Techno' Character Class

Prismatic Wall's Table of Effects

New and Unusual Spells

Critical Hit and Fumble Tables NOTE: Probably the first ones written for D&D!

A Monster Page Note: In the very first printing(s) of the three book set, a monster's 'Chance in Lair' was typoed as 'Chance of Liar'. Hargrave thought it wasn't a typo...

Another Monster Page

Some of the Planes of Hell

The booklet itself is about 100 pages with no page numbering and a layout that makes a Palladium Book look well-organized. There were 3 Books in the initial series; The Arduin Grimoire, Welcome to Skull Tower, and Runes of Doom :black101:

Hargrave died too young at 42, but he left us some truly amazing and bewildering stuff as his legacy.

I was in high school when these came out, so you better believe we used them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Illvillainy posted:

As 3.xE was my first exposure to D&D beyond the BG series, BECMI's this intriguing cypher to me, how did it differ in tone/purpose to AD&D and how is it's legacy ignored by modern D&D?

It uses the races are classes style of the original three book set among other things. You weren't an 8th level Elf Fighter, you were and 8th level Elf which meant you could fight and had some magical abilities. Humans were the only ones who could take individual classes.

Other things included name levels, lower hit points over all (Hit Dice capped at a certain level and only fighters got good extra hit points), and some other stuff to do with classes. I didn't play much BECMI so I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Start with something mild like The Village of Hommlet. Then give the players enough XP to get them up to 12th level and send them into the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (G1).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Time for some more gaming products that time has passed by. I posted earlier on the Arduin supplements which were quite probably the very first 3rd party product made for an RPG. They may have been the first, but they were NOT the most common. Following after Hargrave's creation was...

JUDGES GUILD

In December 1975 General Electric shut down its factory in Decatur Illnois. This left a guy named Bob Bledsaw out of a job. Now Bob was a wargamer and was just getting into this newfangled RPG thing as a DM. He talked to a couple of his buddies (Bill Owen and Marc Summerlot) and decided that they could get into this business. In 1976 Judges Guild was created.

Their first product was City State of the Invincible Overlord...

This was based on Bob's campaign, he drew all the maps and did all the writing, while Bill handled the business and printing end.

With $200 in printing costs they took the base campaign maps up to GENCON '76 and sold out. While they were there Bob came up with a 'subscription' idea for supplements. Pay 'x' per year and receive gaming product through the mail! By December '76 they had finished writing printing and shipping the remaining components of the City State. (34" x 44" Campaign World Map, 56 page Guide Book, Player's Map, Judge's Map, Thunderhold, Journal #0, 9 Dungeon Levels, and some charts.)

In January '77 both Bill and Bob went full-time due to the success of this one product. Over the next five years JG releases a poo poo ton of adventures and supplements for OD&D and AD&D 1e, but in 1982 TSR pulls the license. This license had been negotiated with TSR's business manager at the time Bryan Blume and apparently the Gygax hated it as it "Didn't require Judges Guild to have the quality control TSR was renowned for...". So when it was up for rewewal it got denied hard.

JG tried to keep it going with "Universal" releases, but TSR, lawyers in hand, broke them financially and they had to close up in '85. In 1999 JG was aquired by Necromancer games which was then aquired by White Wolf and a revised version of the JG world for D20 was released. In 2008 Bob Bledsaw dies and the world did lose a gaming visionary. JG basically shut down after his death.

So what did they make?

Amazing things...

One of the greatest AD&D adventures ever written by Paul Jaquays who later moved to iD and worked on the Quake series...

also by Paul...

The very first actual module I ever bought...

and this insane thing...

There is a ton more product that they put out...

...as you can see.

I'll get deeper into some of it in a later post.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
What JG product do you want me to start with? I have most of them (sadly no Verbosh but that may change soon!).

Tegal Manor is a good one, as is the original City State

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

I've now got it into my head to convert the whole of Basic into a 'roll below ability' system with the goal of not having to look anything up on tables during combat. Heartbreaker ahoy! It should be fairly straightforward - enemy AC (recalculated to start from 0 and go up) becomes the modifier to hit, saving throws are somehow derived from specific abilities (CON against poison, INT against spells) plus the PC's level, monster to-hit rolls are based on 8 or 9 plus their hit dice, etc.

Dammit, though. I've got real work to do! :argh:

Finish the next Eddie and Nina book you evil man!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

(Humbug Scoolbus, you can rest assured that this isn't interfering with my day job. First draft of the new book should be finished tomorrow! :haw: )

Thank god. I was starting to go cold turkey.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Owlbears and Rust Monsters and Bulettes and Umber Hulks!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So wait, if I want to get into BECMI should I seek out the individual BECMI books, or is the Rules Cyclopedia the way to go?

RC is just so much easier to use.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PeterWeller posted:

Man, I would love a setting or game that is all 70-80s scifi/fantasy mashup drawing from Heavy Metal and Wizards and TV stuff like Thundarr and He-Man.

The 80-est of big haired space games...

http://www.dwdstudios.com/starfrontiers

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember ads for this in all the comic books my uncle gave me.

Wasn't there an OSR game, or an actual really old game, that basically let you play not-Jedi and even not-Wookies? I remember finding a page awhile back with a bunch of OSR style Star Wars fanart that might have been related to it.

Space Patrol, Starships and Spacemen, and Space Opera all let you do that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have experience with The Arduin Chronicles? I've seen a few mentions of it today in odd places, and I know it's got a sort of sci fi fantasy thing going on, but I was wondering if anyone had some details or experience with it.

Not the Chronicles but I have a ton of experience with the original. I did a brief post of the insanity before http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495106&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post405488350

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
D&D really did start out as dungeon crawling wargame with veterancy rules for me. It's one of the reasons I'm the grog I am today. I enjoy that. So starting to use the Outdoor Survival board rules for non-dungeoning was a really big thing.

Volume 3 -- Underworld and Wilderness Adventures, from the original White Box set posted:

jewels.
The terrain beyond the immediate surroundings of the dungeon area should be unknown
to all but the referee. Off-hand adventures in the wilderness are made on
the OUTDOOR SURVIVAL playing board (explained below). Exploratory journies,
such as expeditions to find land suitable for a castle or in search of some
legendary treasure are handled in an entirely different manner.

OUTDOOR SURVIVAL has a playing board perfect for general adventures.
Catch basins are castles, buildings are towns, and the balance of the terrain is as
indicated.

Castles: As stated, the ponds indicate Castles. The inhabitants of these strongholds
are determined at random. Occupants of these castles will venture out if a
party of adventurers passes nearby. If passing over the castle hex there is a 50%
chance (die 1-3) that they will come out, if one hex away there is a 33-1/3%
chance (die 1-2), and if two hexes away there is only a 16-2/3% chance (die 1).
If the party is on the castle hex and hails the castle, the occupants will always
come forth if the party is not obviously very strong and warlike. Patriarchs are
always Lawful, and Evil High Priests are always Chaotic. All other castle inhabitants
will be either hostile to the adventurers (die 1-3) or neutral (die 4-6). Determine
the occupant of a castle as follows:

Fighting Men within castles will demand a jousting match with all passersby of
like class. Otherwise they will demand a toll of from 100 to 600 Gold Pieces from
the party. If a joust takes place (use rules from CHAINMAIL) the occupant of
the castle will take the loser's armor if he wins, but if the character wins the
castle owner will host all in the party for up to one month, supply them with two
weeks of rations, and provide warhorses (Heavy) if the party so requires.

Magic-Users from castles will send passersby after treasure by Geas if they are not
hostile, with the Magic-User taking at least half of all treasure so gained, the Magic-
User having first choice of magical items and automatically choosing Miscellaneous
Magic, Wands/Staves, or Rings (in that order) in preference to other items. Otherwise,
the Magic-User will require a magical item from the passersby as toll, and if
they have no magical items suitable for use the Magic-User will require a toll of
from 1000 to 4000 Gold Pieces.

Clerics will require passersby to give a tithe (10%) of all their money and jewels
If there is no payment possible the Cleric will send the adventurers on some
form of Lawful or Chaotic task, under Quest. Generally Evil High Priests will
simple attempt to slay Lawful or Neutral passersby who fail to pay their tithes.

Guards: In addition to those men or monsters accompanying castle residents,
there will be a number of men aiding in defense. From 30 to 180 men will man
the walls, one-half of whom will be crossbow armed light foot, and the balance
will be heavy foot. Those castle residents who are accompanied by men or creatures
capable of riding or able to make near equal speed will be mounted on
horseback, as will their men be mounted. There is also a chance that there will be
others in the castle's party.

REFEREE'S MAP is a wilderness map unknown to the players. It should be for
the territory around the dungeon location. When players venture into this area
they should have a blank hexagon map, and as they move over each hex the referee
will inform them as to what kind of terrain is in that hex. This form of exploring
will eventually enable players to know the lay of the land in their immediate area
and thus be able to select a site upon which to build their castles. (Castle building
and its attendent requirements will be covered hereafter.) Exploratory adventures
are likely to be the most exciting, and their incorporation into the campaign is
most desirable. Exploration by foot is at normal speed. Horsed parties will travel
at the speed of a draft horse, and exploration by air will be at half normal flying
speed.
MOVEMENT:
Type # of Hexes
Man on foot 3
Wagon or Cart 4
Draft Horse 5
Heavy Horse 6
Medium Horse 8
Light Horse 10
Raft 10(3)
Boat 15(5)
Merchant 12
Galley 20(6)
Type: (Flying) # of Hexes
Balrog 15
Dragon 24
Griffon 30
Hippogriff 40
Roc 48
Pegasus 48
Broom 40
Carpet 30
Efreet 20
Djinn or Air Elemental 30
(Numbers in parenthesis are for swamp movement)

Large Party Movement: Parties numbering over 100, including pack or draft animals,
will incur a 1 hex penalty. Parties over 1,000 incur a 2 hex penalty.

Terrain Penalties: All terrain penalties are as stated in OUTDOOR SURVIVAL,
mountains and swamps cost three movement per hex, crossing rivers at non-ford
hexes also costs three, and woods or deserts cost two. Tracks through mountainous
terrain cost two factors per hex moved, and tracks through woods or swamps
incur no movement penalty.
Rest: All creatures must rest after six days of movement. Rest must be at least
one full day. Exception: Dragons who travel for three weeks must sleep one full
week if their mode of travel was walking, and they must sleep for three full weeks
if their mode of travel was flight.
Scale: Assume the greatest distance across a hex is about 5 miles.
Turn: Each move will constitute one day. Each day is considered a turn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/designers-and-dragons

I could say, but I couldn't it half as well as Shannon does. Back it for a buck and get immediate access to the volume on the 1970s!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
heh, I get to :ninja: somebody finally. Both the books that are out are absolutely fascinating. Shannon has talked to pretty much everybody it seems.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The '90s has been released for the $15+ backers!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ghetto Fighter is Short Shaft?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Fascinating article on how TSR used to make Modules

https://medium.com/@increment/quagmire-the-making-of-a-1980s-d-d-module-c30e788ea5f2

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
With those three you should actually be fine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It's worth it just for Vance and Hughart.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And Bridge of Birds is loving awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Giants leading into Descent and finishing up with Demonweb is the best thing. I remember the first time I saw that lich all snug in his room filled with Magic Mouths cast on every conceivable surface, and my 13 year old self went :wtf:???

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Tactical Feng Shui

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tendales posted:

I just got my hands on set of the Arduin Grimoire trilogy. :getin:

For those unfamiliar, Arduin Grimoire was possibly the first fantasy heartbreaker, a set of D&D house rules mashed into a thin pretense of being a standalone game. That's original D&D, from 1977. It's janky and awful and I love it. This particular set is one of the middle printings, around the time he had to white-out all the explicit references to D&D and replace them with popular fantasy game.

This Arduin Grimoire?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Once upon a time back in the 70's there was a gentleman named Dave Hargrave. He had just gotten back from Vietnam and he started playing this new game that came in a white box. Now Dave was a creative kind of guy and he didn't like what Gygax and Arneson had done in some places so he decided to fix them.

Here are some scans of one of the first third party products for D&D. Volume 1 of the Arduin Grimoire...

The Cover

Stat Maximums for Race

Special Abilities Random Roll Charts

'Techno' Character Class

Prismatic Wall's Table of Effects

New and Unusual Spells

Critical Hit and Fumble Tables NOTE: Probably the first ones written for D&D!

A Monster Page Note: In the very first printing(s) of the three book set, a monster's 'Chance in Lair' was typoed as 'Chance of Liar'. Hargrave thought it wasn't a typo...

Another Monster Page

Some of the Planes of Hell

The booklet itself is about 100 pages with no page numbering and a layout that makes a Palladium Book look well-organized. There were 3 Books in the initial series; The Arduin Grimoire, Welcome to Skull Tower, and Runes of Doom :black101:

Hargrave died too young at 42, but he left us some truly amazing and bewildering stuff as his legacy.

I was in high school when these came out, so you better believe we used them...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

A Strange Aeon posted:

The thief in general is sort of interesting, since it wasn't among the very first classes, though now it's obviously a given in any kind of fantasy adventuring party.

I don't remember where I read this, but it was some grognard's recollection of playing a game with some founding DM (maybe Gary?) and a player saying "Well, I want to be a thief!" and the DM just saying "Well, steal things, then."

Thief and Paladin were in the Greyhawk Supplement (I). Assassin and Monk in Blackmoor (II). Druid and Psionics in Eldritch Wizardry (III). Bard was in the Strategic Review #6 I think.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

All this tells me is, if you want an OSR space game, play Stars Without Numbers instead.

SWN is a fantastic game and Crawford should get every bit of support.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just bought the Bundle of Holding for Spears of the Dawn. I'm also on a Cthulhu mood right now while bingeing on RPPR's Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign so I expect I'll be getting Silent Legions soon too.

Every one of his games are brilliantly done. :iia:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Wyzard posted:

Oh, also, 1E modules. Look for Jaquay's Judge's Guild stuff. Caverns of Thracia is the bomb dot com. I don't remember if it's written for 1E, B/X, OD&D, or what, but who cares they all convert pretty easily on the fly. Somewhere out there in the depths of the OSR blogs there's an interesting article on the way that Jaquays did dungeon maps.

Here we go:

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

Please note that Jaquays has in later life come out as a transwoman, and I don't think answers to Paul anymore, although that's the way she was credited on the modules at the time.

I converted Thracia to Arcana Evolved and it still rocked almost 30 years after it's first release.

Also Jennell was one of the level designers for Quake and Quake 2. (also check out her module Dark Tower, also published by Judge's Guild)

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the difference between a deity's portfolio and their domain? Is the portfolio what they're the god of and the domain just some stuff that's related to the god's domain so clerics have spells?

Pretty much.

A portfolio is something like 'Agriculture' or 'War' or 'The South'. A domain would be 'Healing' or Chance' or 'Deception'; basically one facet of the deity's influence.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Were there ever official PDFs of OD&D/Three Brown Books and their supplements, and the Holmes Basic Set that we might expect someday?

Sadly no.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I never saw those so I ended up scanning my brown box copies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I seem to remember if you look at the experience charts; to get to 1st level Bard takes less XP than to get to 7th or 8th level Fighter from 5th level Fighter.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In 1e a 10th level Bard has 250,003 exp ,the same as a 9th level fighter, and that includes 7 levels of Fighter and 8 levels of Thief. Also they have 7d10+10d6 of Hit points.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They get 9d6 from Bard.

1e Players Handbook posted:

6-sided Dice for Accumulated Hit Points shows an asterisk after the initial
"0" to indicate that the bard has as many hit dice as he or she has
previously earned as a fighter (plus the possible addition of those earned
as a thief if that class level exceeds the class level of fighter). All bard hit
dice (and additional hit points) are additions to existing hit dice - none
are lost for becoming a bard.

They are hit point beasts.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

Having a full array of pick-a-path to final/fully-trained class using 1e/2e balances might be fun.

Priests work their way up in their gods esteem, some become specialty priests and some become paladins. Wizards specialize further and further (or maybe revers it - start with only a school or two and then learn more). Warriors master a style/weapon(s) or master the ways of the creatures/land. Rogues become stealth-fighters or bards.

Obviously there could be dozens of branches for each, and several stages, but the general idea of spending a few levels as a basic class, then learning/reacting to the games as they unfold and progressing to more refined/powerful roles would be fun.

I need to write up Dragonquest for FATAL and Friends.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

Tl;dr - you don't roll to hit, just damage. Every attack causes some damage, no matter what.

I love rolling dice. Anything that removes dice rolls makes me sad. Also appropriate their was a game called Metascape where that kind of system was implemented but only for the GM. Players still rolled, but the GM NPCs used a formula (an easy one to calculate too!) to determine whether they hit of missed. It made mook swarms a breeze to run and the PCs could roll all the dice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
For some of us, fighting is the fun part.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

The only noteworthy thing that ever came of it (for us) was when one of the huge fighters realized he was big and strong enough to use an ogre sized weapon with no (or almost no? been a long time) to-hit penalty.

Found it via google. That issue also introduced the half-satyr and half-dryad for all your forest-whoring needs. Also the long lost specialists article on dwarven beards. (Im not joking for anyone young relative to Dragon Magazine.) "Worth its Weight in Gold: A Dwarfs Beard is More than Hair".

(It also has one of the early-ish articles on building custom classes for players.)

The annarchive is a godsend if you're looking for Dragon or Dungeon pre-4e back issues

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

OD&D Supplement 2: Blackmoor is now available on DTRPG/DMsguild

Any specific thoughts/opinions on this work? Appelcline's history makes it sound like a hot mess.

On a somewhat related note, how are Monks in TSR-era D&D? I'm rather familiar with how much they've been generally shat on by 3.5 and Pathfinder, but not their earlier incarnations.

Blackmoor has Monks and Assassins, a hit location system. underwater rules, and monsters, and The Temple of The Frog adventure which gives a good glimpse into Dave Arneson's dungeon design philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

OD&D Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry has also been (re)released. This has Psionics, Druids, a rather involved initiative system, demon-type monsters, and iconic artifact items like the Vecna's Hand and Eye and the Wand of Orcus.

Gods Demigods and Heroes is next...unless Moorcock goes ballistic.

• Locked thread