Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm stumped, but there is a master list of pre-WotC adventures. The captain's name is a reference to van der Decken, the captain of the legendary Flying Dutchman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've heard those 90s Basic sets decried as shameless cash-grabs, but according to the 30 Years... book they were very popular and, like you said, were oriented toward teaching the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have too much on my plate at the moment, but if I did a sword-and-planet mashup of Labyrinth Lord (B/X Basic) and Mutant Future (Gamma World) would that have any appeal? Jack Vance died, and I've decided to read all his major works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never cared about keeping track of overland travel, or even dungeon mapping. For overland travel, "it will take 4 days on horseback, consume 15 gp worth of supplies, and they'll have :rolldice: 2 random encounters" was more than enough detail to satisfy my 3.5e group. For dungeons, a few Rooms Important To The Plot connected by major hallways featuring a minor encounter and maybe a secret room or two was enough. However, I'm thinking I should actually map wilderness and dungeons for the next time I try Basic. Since a lot of what's in Basic is implied rather than explicitly communicated, much less instructed, are there some blogs or handbooks that give a good intro to mapping without it being a major headache? I just don't have the chops or the time to do maps with the level of detail that Otsp pulls off, and I don't intend to do overland maps to the point of assigning terrain types and random encounter tables.

Also, from the Next thread:

sebmojo posted:

It's easy enough to fake them, or you could use an ipod/tablet/laptop.

The spell lists in DCC are basically the best thing ever, each spell gets like a page and a half of random mutations associated with it, elaborate levels of success, awesome random effects.
I'm starting to hear good things about DCC on this forum, both regarding the Deed mechanic and the way spells work. I've skimmed the book, but I can't get past the :circlefap: intro where it says you're not allowed to play if you don't dream about Gary and Erol having a swordfight in your mouth. Is it really worth checking out?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, I had a question about that specifically: What do you do when a party member dies in a pit trap and you need to quickly introduce new characters, via promoting hirelings to PC status or otherwise? The funnel made DCC seem to me like another retrogame that worships old D&D tropes without understanding why they existed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean high-lethality made sense when it was the standard in OD&D, because the assumption was that your character is a pawn, they don't have a detailed background that's integral to the campaign, you aren't attached to them, and they can be easily replaced by jumped-up hirelings--which take less than a minute to generate as 1st level PCs. I get that you don't have to stop your dungeon delve to run a new 0-level session every time you want to replace a character, but making it the standard to generate 0-level characters and then apply a class template sacrifices speed of generation so that DCC can take you by the hand and making sure you play Old School D&D the right way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The new character is introduced as a prisoner being held by the monsters in the next room. :v:

Another option is the "ascended hireling", if the game is at the point where the party has a bunch of NPCs in a caravan outside the dungeon or even along for the ride. Really, they played pretty fast and loose with it.
No no, I understand that completely. I'm saying DCC makes this more difficult for the dubious benefit of including a tutorial level in character creation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gasperkun posted:

I think the monk just got included because it sounded cool and people wanted to re-create Kung Fu like they saw on TV from not too many years before.
I believe the for-real story about why the monk was included was that somebody thought "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas was really funny.

The problem with monks is that they're unarmed, unarmoured fighters in a game where the attack and defense scaling are almost totally based on equipment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remo Williams, The Destroyer? You may be right about that.

My experience with monks in 3e is that they end up being Matrix characters, seeing how they need cloaks, gloves, boots, and goggles to get by.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

But the Elf is the only overtly overpowered demihuman. Dwarves and halflings are just fighters with different window dressing. That doesn't make sense.
Gygax has said that the level caps were an attempt to enforce an implied setting where humans are more common than elves and dwarves, to prevent entire parties of demihumans for the cool factor. An elf/elf/dwarf/halfling party was 1978's equivalent of the Tiefling/Drow/Magicbot/Crystalface party.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I've been thinking about it since I asked about an Immortals set reprint... has anyone ever done much with the Immortals set? Everything seemed really really cool., but the amount of bookkeeping required to maintain and level your character always turned me off of actually using the rules.

I imagine that it's the one part of the BECMI rules that doesn't see much play in retroclones, right?
I believe it's included in Dark Dungeons, but excluded from TSR's own Rules Cyclopedia.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I know all that. HJ's post seemed to imply that the immortals stuff was too complex to be included in the RC, but to me it seemed like a marketing decision because the range was going to be Black Box, Rules Cyclopedia and Wrath of the Immortals Box.
Actually, I haven't a clue. If you'd asked me to guess, I'd say pagecount restrictions or because they weren't offering supporting material for that level of play.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

RC made clubs do more damage than maces, which is kinda silly. Also, a big thing that people really gently caress up with BECMI and RC is that they think weapon specialization is only for high level characters because it was contained in the Master set. It wasn't. It plainly said that if you are adding weapon skills to a game in progress to give the players the appropriate weapon skills to catch up. Also, RC got rid of the Avenger, a chaotic fighter path that was the most dominant melee character in D&D history.
Nah, the Avenger's in there. Why was it so dominant? All I see is the ability to detect evil and have monster followers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

About Carcosa, I'm aware of the horrible nature of it, but I read that it has "one of the best old school psionics systems ever" somewhere, and I'm wondering if that is true? Like, is it worth ripping out, or would I be better off just using Mutant Future or Stars Without Numbers rules in my Basic clone games instead? I suppose the latter would also mean that terrible people wouldn't get any of my money.
Did you know that if you close your eyes and say "Carcosa" three times in front of a mirror, I'll magically appear and tell you that anyone who says anything good about it is an rear end in a top hat?

Here's how the psionics system works:

1. If you have high Int, Wis, or Cha, you have a (cumulative) chance to be psionic.
2. Each day, psionic characters roll 1d4 to see how many powers they have.
3. There are 8 powers, so roll 1d8 to get your powers. These range in usefulness from "hearing through walls" to mind control.
4. The number of uses/day is based on your level.

Like many other things in Carcosa, it's "balanced" because everything is randomly rolled, over and over again. If I were going to single out anything in Carcosa for praise, it would be some of the totally wacky results you can get from the random tables, like a tank that can cover everything in a mile radius with ooze.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 23, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Do you need a system, exactly? Because I would just pluck powers from Mutant Future (Gamma World) and hand them out kind-of-but-not-really at random.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Silhouette posted:

Fun fact: 2e Bards were one of the main inspirations for the Red Mage class in the original Final Fantasy.
FF came out in '87, 2e was in '89. They started developing it in '87, though; perhaps the 2e bard was a touch-up of something in a module?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OtspIII posted:

Huge effortpost about dungeon mapping
I wanted to thank you for this post; I know it was a long time ago, but I didn't want to respond until I could put some effort into it. If I get to run RC I probably won't make every map myself--I usually use Dave's Dungeon Mapper or a simpler map generator--but the advice on dividing maps into zones, giving them themes, and stocking them with encounters is very helpful. Can you tell me some more about how you arrived at your numbers for GP? It seems high. I haven't run old editions of D&D strictly by-the-book, so I don't know how much available gold a party can be expected to find during a typical expedition, or how it works out when you stick to the assumed wealth-by-level. (I'm told that BECMI actually buries characters in magic items, especially cheap, useful disposables like healing potions.)

I have some kinda-related questions for anyone in the thread who can answer.

1. I'm thinking about doing a planetary adventure style game, since Mutant Future makes it easy to blend sci-fi into Basic. The problem I keep coming back to is that the characters would by necessity be unique individuals crash-landed on an alien planet, and Basic assumes low-level characters will die and be replaced by jumped-up hirelings or whatnot. Can anyone recommend a plausible way around it?

2. Has anyone tried eliminating spellcasting from Basic? I've never played Gamma World, so I have no idea if any version of it manages to wrest a balanced play experience from relying on items and mutant powers for healing and other things for which you usually rely on spells.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Angrymog posted:

You use a random table whenever you need the answer to a game related question and either don't have one ready or can't come up with something in 30 seconds.

They're also good for sparking off ideas that you might not have had yourself - helps avoid design ruts.
This. Letting a random table decide stuff and justifying it afterwards is actually a good way to avoid repetition and mental block. Why are their fire lizards in a vampire's mansion? I don't know, why are they there? Maybe they're not fire lizards but flame-belching hellhounds with the same stats. The PCs finding a statue worth 800gp is a lot more interesting than finding a ruby worth 800gp, especially when you think of what kind of valuable statuette would be in an orc den.

They're bad when you obey them slavishly and don't discard bad results. If the party is a paladin, a ranger, a wizard, and a cleric and you roll a +4 anarchic defending nunchuks in a treasure parcel, reroll or pick something next to it on the list. They're also bad when you think they're meant to procedurally generate an entire world for you, on a map where hexes/rooms are linked to terrain types which are linked to random tables. Your players don't care how many discarded fishbones are in the average troglodyte den. In my opinion, anyone who wants that kind of game might as well save time and play a roguelike.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
SeventhSanctum.com has a lot of random tables for generating stuff, including books, fancy swords, and unique monsters. (Also martial arts moves and pro wrestling event names.) Mapmage.com has very detailed generators for books (not titles, but how it's bound and what it's written on), names, and maps. They're selling their stuff through the Apple app store now, but I think the Windows-based freeware versions of their stuff are still floating all over.

Lightning Lord posted:

My question is if you're eliminating spellcasting, why aren't you just using Mutant Future straight up? It's basically Labyrinth Lord retooled as Gamma World.
That's a good point. Really the only reason was that I wanted to do "science fantasy," so there'd still be healing potions and +2 flaming warhammers and +3 plate left behind by the decadent Space Romans who ruled the planet a million years ago. Also, my understanding is that if you play BECMI straight, it's very well-balanced for its time, and I absolutely intend to use the advanced combat options that make fighters cool. (I understand I'll have to come up with some bones to throw to rogues.)

You reminded me of a question I forgot! One of the things I Do Not Like about D&D right from the get-go is that the attack/defense dynamic is based on armor. I'm not among those who give a poo poo about the "realism" of armor making you hard to hit, it's just a huge assumption to make if you want the system to be able to cover everything from high-medieval to sword-and-sandal to Barsoom. The only retrogame I know of that dispenses with armor entirely is Blood & Bullets, a Wild West Swords & Wizardry derivate that gives a class-based scaling bonus to defense. I have no idea if it's balanced or not. In early boxed-set D&D any fighter of any level can put on plate mail and take his defense from "totally hosed" to "really good," while later editions assumed everyone would start with the best mundane armor they could wear and that magic items are part of level progression. What little Gamma World I've played indicates it's not meant to be balanced.

Has anyone tried or houseruled a system where the to-hit scaling for PCs isn't based on armor? How did it go? The closest I can think of is Old School Hack, where armor/shields are a resource rather than a basis of the combat system, but let's face it, OSH is not really a D&D ruleset.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

I'm not sure things would get weird with shield use. Just assume a cleric and fighter are using shields when you work out their AC. If the fighter wants to be all like "TWO HANDED SWORD :black101:" his AC gets worse by one and his damage die goes up one step.

e: In my opinion, he shouldn't need a "two handed sword" to do this - just cast aside his shield and go all Conan. It's hardly going to break the game if he doesn't have to carry two slightly different swords around.
I got annoyed with the preponderance of DUAL WIELD OMG SO KEWL that I eventually decided that if I did my own combat house rules for D&D, I'd make it so dual-wielding makes you a glass cannon and shields are cool again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Vornheim is a good example of fantasy that is focused on the fantastical rather than world-building, something that is rarely seen today. For example, the palace shaped like a hand, with tower fingers reaching toward the sky, the gardens of black flowers, and the fact that all snakes are secretly books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A-ha! Now I remember the point where I gave up on ACKS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He's usually in a room full of people who thought getting Motley Crue tattoos was a great idea.

Edit: But Vornheim is a great example of fantasy for fantasy's sake instead of worldbuilding, which frankly dominates the market because it is marketable. I'm inclined to counter those who call it mediocre, but frankly I haven't actually used its random charts and such at my own table.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 10, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey, I thought I remembered one of youse guys posting the website for your Basic games, including profiles of characters and artifacts and a religion based around a guy who got turned to stone. Did I dream that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yesss, thank you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks, I was just rereading the whole thread on Friday and wanted to ask you. Then the power went out.

Edit: Hey, you might want to contact the guy at http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/dd-retroclones.html with a fresh link.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 18, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There is also Dark Dungeons (a fairly precise retroclone of the RC) and Darker Dungeons. Darker Dungeons, if I remember right, uses ascending attack and AC, tries to unify resolution mechanics for stuff like thief skills and ability checks, and also "cleans up" some instances where the RC included conflicting versions of the same rule, because the rules had evolved from book to book in the BECMI set.

The author of Dark/er Dungeons goes into helpful detail on his changes here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are a handful of copyrighted monsters missing, but just a handful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey, I have a question about Darker Dungeons myself in the wake of some of Cirno's posts in the Next thread--does the ascending scale create errors or imbalance in how the success rates scale, or are they tightly pegged to how everything was in the RC proper?

Also, have any of you tried Blood & Treasure? Somebody said that it looks like the author combined all their favourite stuff from every pre-3rd edition, and that's true, but it has some neat innovations. I'm extremely disparaging of OSR games which look like they're pretty much just some guy's house rules for AD&D, or the SRD with a bunch of AD&Disms injected back into it. I've only skimmed B&T so far, but if I had to peg it to any edition...I guess I'd say 3rd but with a Basic design ethos. It has 3 saving throws, and a really neat way of handling skills using the saving throw system. 1d20+ability score modifier, and try to roll over 18 (if your class doesn't have that skill) or over your saving throw (if your class does have that skill). It's one of those things that looks inelegant on paper but it seems like it would play smoothly. The game also has a pretty flexible multiclassing system.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 10, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
God help me, but I actually skimmed Machinations of the Space Princess. It actually does have some neat traits for building alien races. The promised "sleaze" is just this weird tendency to mention sex or aliens with three breasts from time, and other than that it's a pretty unsurprising clone of the LotFP rules, but in space. It actually comes across much more like a cheesy sci-fi TV like "The Lexx" or "Farscape" than Heavy Metal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The 80-est of big haired space games...

http://www.dwdstudios.com/starfrontiers
I remember ads for this in all the comic books my uncle gave me.

Wasn't there an OSR game, or an actual really old game, that basically let you play not-Jedi and even not-Wookies? I remember finding a page awhile back with a bunch of OSR style Star Wars fanart that might have been related to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey OtspIII, regarding your NY Red Box: I have read some stuff from fans of Greyhawk and the Realms regarding what they feel are the essence and distinct characteristics of their favourite campaign settings. Do you have any similar insight into Mystara? From 30 Years of Adventure I gathered that Mystara never took itself too seriously and was designed to host not-Vikings, not-Romans, not-Mongols, and, uh, not-plutocrat-sorcerer-guilds sharing borders without worrying about whether or that's believable, because "having lots of new and interesting places to adventure" was more important than anthropology. But I've also read that in Mystara, as in Greyhawk, nations and rulers are pretty much concerned with the same things that concern them in the real world, as opposed to epic battles of good vs. evil.

Either way, when I actually have time my next campaign will be with Darker Dungeons and set in Mystara. What do you like about Glantri as opposed to Karameikos or other Gazetteer nations as a place to set the campaign?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

gtrmp posted:

part of the appeal of Mystara is that the world is drawn in broader strokes than in other settings, and that those broad strokes are more obviously accessible to casual players. like, "Renaissance-era Venice/Italy where the merchant guilds are run by wizards" is a capsule description that makes Glantri easier to sum up for a player who's new to the setting than trying to tell them what distinguishes, say, Cormyr or Furyondy from every other generic fantasy nation. (and it's not like Greyhawk and FR don't also have their own not-Vikings, not-Native Americans, et al.)
This is definitely true. I don't mind at all that the not-Iroquois are living 200 miles west of the not-Medici*, and it's a lot easier to figure that out than, say, telling the difference between Chondatha and Chessenta in the Realms.

*Those maps on Pandius are a godsend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Planet of Adventure" is a particular favourite of mine. You can get a compilation of all four novels for a few bucks, and it's a shorter, quicker read than any given volume of most fantasy series today.

As for how to facilitate science-fantasy, sword-and-planet games...you know, this is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. Guardians of the Galaxy got me rereading my old issues of Warlock and Silver Surfer, and it struck me that very few games manage to convey the sense of wonder in sword-and-planet adventure stories or epic science-fantasy, nor do many support it mechanically.

Science-fantasy has its roots in the pulp magazine era before speculative fiction was divided into marketable genres, and I think it depends very much on the audience's willingness to accept the story on its own terms, instead of trying to quantify and categorize everything. In a RPG, this can become doubly difficult if the players reject the conceits or the themes of the game and instead try to gently caress around with some concrete bit of the setting to see what happens, or to follow some bit of "realism" to its logical conclusion. (Please stop me whenever I'm not making sense.) Granted, you probably won't have that problem if the players have already signed on to play some kind of old-school D&D.

As for how to actually support it...the only thing I can think of is to start with a system that doesn't strive for realism or try to categorize everything. Don't distinguish between science and magic, or let rayguns and real-world tactics be superior to a space-Hussar with a space-sword charging on a space-horse. As for me, I would likely take a lot of stuff from Mutant Future and mash it up with Labyrinth Lord, or with some more work, Darker Dungeons.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 4, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Most of 2e's reputation for story focus comes from the wealth of new campaign settings with less focus on traditional dungeoncrawls. Actual changes in the core rules that could be seen as more "story-focused" include:

1. Changing classes to remove some of the idiosyncrasies of Greyhawk: the monk and assassin were cut, the druid and illusionist were made into subclasses, and the bard and ranger were changed.
2. A bunch of specialist magic-user subclasses and some specialist cleric subclasses
3. The Gordian clusterfuck of surprise, initiative, combat segments, and weapon speed was simplified/cut.
4. Non-weapon proficiencies were added to the core rules, and thieves got to spend their skill increases from a pool as they leveled up. (The idea that adding a skill system made the game more "story-focused" shows just how creaky the 1e ruleset was by the time 2e came out.)
5. Explicit direction on awarding XP for non-combat accomplishments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FRINGE posted:

You copied you own post twice, and neither time are you referring to the right edition.
I think there was some kind of forums glitch, because I also posted a follow-up reply which disappeared. To repeat it in brief:

When discussing opinions on 2e, it's hard to distinguish people's opinions on the core ruleset from what they think of the campaign settings, the changes to the existing settings, the many optional players kits and rules supplements, and how they felt about a TSR that was no longer associated with Gygax.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FRINGE posted:

The ridiculous skill/number bloat was another mess that came in with 3e. "How much better is a +51 than a +46???"
The problem with 3e is not that the numbers are big, per se, but that the accuracy of rolls isn't bounded in any way. The designers were trying to make the system "universal" without understanding how the d20-based mechanic actually worked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I believe Mentzer has admitted that the Immortal rules weren't intended to be easily playable, but that he wrote them because of popular and company demand. People wanted the gods to have stats, and TSR knew it would sell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Definitely the only thing I don't like about Darker Dungeons is the 3e style skill system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ascendance posted:

People want to play OSR games because they are fun and lighter than later D&D iterations. ACKS instead bolts on an overly complex skill and proficiency system, with no delineation between non-combat and combat proficiencies, and grants each class its own highly variable rate of proficiency acquisition.

The flip side of this problem is that the combat proficiencies have incredibly minor effects for the most part. Stuff like, +1 to hit, or you now crit on a natural 20. You pretty much get lovely 3e feats, rather than something cool, like BECMI style weapon mastery.
This is the problem I have with ACKS. I just don't see a reason to use it instead of the RC.

• Locked thread