Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
To be fair, the majority of his cash goes towards his wife's fibromyalgia medical and other bills.

He's definitely not a Nazi or overtly racist in any way I've encountered, but he's an eloquent Ayn Rand adherent and a bit of a perv. Not "handsy" to my knowledge luckily, more along the lines of "you should wear heels more often" (not that that's great).

Hi, I played the rogue (Viktir) and a fighter that was reincarnated as a centaur (Morne) in the ACKS home campaign - though before that we mainly played Cyberpunk(and sometimes other flavors of D&D), and will say that the sketchiest part of his personality that made it into ACKS is probably Bladedancers(almost always chosen by our female players) and the mortal wound result that makes your hair continually grow. Nothing overly political or pervy ever happened in play other then some Conan "best in life" stylistic fetishism, but we were mostly co-workers as well.

Anyway, if you have any questions about early ACKS or Macris as a DM(he also ran Modern Spearhead for us a few times), I'll try to answer from my perspective. I respect not wanting to give his libertarian causes funding, but he definitely has been a loyal friend to many who needed it without stipulation, from all across the various genetic & social spectrums - and his personal funding is mostly going to medical bills for someone who can barely leave her room. I'm not stating this for pity or to encourage sales, but to say that there is more depth to someone's character then what you see as a third party, and that creative work can be worthwhile apart from its main contributor.

That all being said, his recent career decisions have put a strain on many things and people, and despite his medical bills justification, have burned up a lot of what good will remained with those around him. Personally I only see him at our 5e game (another DM) these days when he's not traveling, and he's usually pretty stressed and worn down if that helps anyone's animus

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Arivia posted:

On the other hand, he works for loving Milo and gave Pundit and a bunch of other people platforms to dogwhistle like loving hell about the "end of Western society" or whatever white nationalists are saying as their code words today. Like he might be "just" a libertarian but he's an ally for and supporter of far, far worse if that's true.

Yeah, libertarian in the sense of "they offered me an insane amount of money" - but he sure seems to be value-adding to that "organization". On the other hand, I do get to hear about things like Milo crying about how he's being put on a strict budget because he's not making money and trashing hotel rooms. :marc:

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

alg posted:

There are far better games to support. Hopefully when the Escapist finally goes under ACKS will too.

He doesn't work for Defy anymore, they laid off the entire Escapist office and he quit soon after

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Arivia posted:

If this is your takeaway from him working for and supporting bigots, then obviously you're not a great source.

There's a lot I would have to say to unravel the perspectives on this. What I am saying is that there's more to the person then what you know, and while there's plenty of reason to hate what he enables because he has a mercenary attitude regarding his skill set when everything good and fun about his life has disintigrated... The dude really just wants to full time DM. ACKS isn't what supports him, it's just him turning our house rules into something that might lead towards more tabletop work.

What supports him is the hand behind Bnnon and Milo (who he knows from Bretbart after poking at the right-wing pageview nest) that told him they'd pay++ to make his wife's slow, wasting death to Fibromyalgia more tolerable and affordable if he can help Milo "troll people so hard" or teach them how to troll or something. I don't believe he's dragging his heels on actually doing his job right, which is what I'm trying to say with "libertarian", though not as some form of justification. It definitely bothers me, and is not something trivial in my life.

His stuff with the Escapist GG contributors and interviews was primarily politicizing for pageviews by hosting the "opposing voice". I can't speak to the particular voices he chose, or his actual politics beyond pining for the Libertarian party. I do know at that point he was trying to stir up easy pageviews in political categories to tie into other Defy properties (everyjoe)

Anyway, ACKS itself is fun and developed with a multiracial/gendered group, who mostly worked at the Escapist; and Alex played the monsters, which he was fairly good at. Buying or stealing it won't effect anything, other than encouraging him to spend more time on it then less savory interests.

I could stab him in the kidneys though, would that help anything?

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 1, 2017

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Halloween Jack posted:

This reeks of storygaming!

Ya, those safe characters are part of the story, not part of the game

• Locked thread