Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Thought I'd share the sheet I drew up for the Mandarin, who Dr. Strange is facing in Civil War. NO PEEKING, MALTOSE.

I'd say he's a fairly formidable opponent who definitely has the upper hand on his arch-enemy most of the time, although Civil War Tony is definitely a very dangerous opponent for him. Probably wouldn't beat Thor, but weird alien technology goes a long way in making you good at fighting. I also threw in some of his non-ring based abilities because he's not TOTALLY useless without them. He just becomes... like a lovely Iron Fist.

Honestly, my money's on Tony. For default Tony it's going to be close, and the Mandarin probably wins straight up melees. But Tony has the advantage of Plot Points vs Doom Pool, and has armour that's made of plot points - whereas the Mandarin is rolling 3 dice from powers rather than 2 on the defence. It's very very close and Tony shouldn't get away with his armour intact. (This is unless Mandarin one-shots him with the Disintegration Beam - d10 solo, d10 left hand, 2d12 right, and a skill dice is a nasty dice pool although hard to exploit unless the doom pool is already big)

For Civil War Tony, CW Tony is immune to physical stress (well, 1PP). He can absorb energy attacks - which is what the Mandarin does. It's a pretty bad combination for the Mandarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Quick, tell me how well Doctor Strange could hold up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

neonchameleon posted:

Honestly, my money's on Tony. For default Tony it's going to be close, and the Mandarin probably wins straight up melees. But Tony has the advantage of Plot Points vs Doom Pool, and has armour that's made of plot points - whereas the Mandarin is rolling 3 dice from powers rather than 2 on the defence. It's very very close and Tony shouldn't get away with his armour intact. (This is unless Mandarin one-shots him with the Disintegration Beam - d10 solo, d10 left hand, 2d12 right, and a skill dice is a nasty dice pool although hard to exploit unless the doom pool is already big)

For Civil War Tony, CW Tony is immune to physical stress (well, 1PP). He can absorb energy attacks - which is what the Mandarin does. It's a pretty bad combination for the Mandarin.

Well, heroes generally have an edge when you're talking about trading plot points for doom pool. What I was going for, particularly by giving him a fairly small number of SFX, was that the Mandarin has the advantage of raw firepower, but Tony can probably win by doing creative armor stuff, which is kind of the classic Iron Man villain showdown.

The other thing I wanted to mention in particular was that the Mandarin's rings don't have the usual Gear limit you see because they teleport themselves to him whenever he wants them back or gets knocked unconscious. It got used to defeat dudes he let borrow his rings, but I wasn't quite sure if there's a mechanic to loan out powers. I know you can do it with an expertise.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I noticed it in the thread, but there's something elegant about having the two hands as separate powersets so you can mix and match. I think I saw a Mandarin datafile that just put all ten powers in one with a bunch of SFX, this seems better.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

See, my first impulse was the exact opposite, to say "the Mandarin can totally use all ten rings at once if he wants, right? ...But that would be SO STUPID." Also, come to think of it, I could probably make the data sheet a bit more compact by turning the three elemental rings into one power with a SFX that says "use D10 elemental blast as fire, ice or electricity. I just saved page space."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Groovy. I've always liked the Mandarin's schtick. It's so simple, by has so much potential, and I think you've captured a lot of that here.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Quick, tell me how well Doctor Strange could hold up.

First action for Doctor Strange in anything other than a squash match is to create an asset. With Supreme Sorcery and Alliterative Invocations he should be able to create a d12 with no questions asked. Which makes him nigh-on invulnerable on the defence. (Seriously, Supreme Sorcery d12, Mystic Senses d12, and [Asset] d12 is more than many large scale threats get).

The odd thing about Strange is that he is so much stronger on the defence than the offence. Using Mystic Senses on the offence is hard, so is Teleport, and complications don't stack, so Supreme Sorcery isn't as good on the offence. Meaning that on the offence he's throwing a d10 from Disciple of the Ancient Lore and not necessarily that much from his Mystic Regalia.

Of course if you give him prep time he's got that d12 asset and a d10 mystic resource, and is looking at one-shot complicating Mandarin out with a dice pool of d10 (solo) + Distinction + d12 (sorcery to create an asset) + d10 (Teleport just behind the Mandarin before wrapping him in the Crimson Bands of Cytorak + d10 (Mystic Master) + d10 (Mystic Resource) + d12 [Asset] + 1d6 (Sfx) = 2d12 + 4d10 + 1d6 [Distinction] with the effect die automatically being stepped up once - and no plot points spent. Make one of those d12s an effect dice and this is a Save or Die attack - and the only d12 Mandarin gets at all is with the one shot disintegration ring.

Marvel Heroic IMO works much better when there are almost no d12s in the powersets.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strange doesn't get setup. The Mandarin has struck first! Step two is to unleash the avalanche of nature's most poisonous little fruit, the Mandarin Orange!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I wrote about a page of a Batman fan story once that was about almost exactly that same thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You guys are going to hate when you have to fight the Monarch btw.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I know why you wrote Captain America out. Who will defend us from British imperialism now?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TBH I wrote him out because almost everyone was already a moderating influence and we didn't need actual players being overshadowed by him. That's right, your unwillingness to be crazy, reckless assholes got Cap taken out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously Cap needs to be the reckless crazy rear end in a top hat. Basically turn him into a Steranko Splash.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I could just bring in 1950s Captain America. He's not in the hospital or anything yet. Still around, being a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I am %100 willing to be both crazy and reckless. I just gave [redacted] to the goddamned [redacted] and, my other character is BFFs with Doctor Doom!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Anybody know if there's any templates or the like to produce a datafile layout that approximates the books, either for player characters or Watcher characters? Maybe I should just bug the Plot Points blog and find out how they do it, but I figured it was worth asking.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I haven't found one, and kind of gave up on designing my own (because I was terrible at it.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The guy who runs Marvel Plot Points made a blank PSD datafile and there's this editable Word datafile template. I don't think either is quite what you are envisioning, though.

Of course, you can always use MWP's editable PDF datafile, but I don't know if that's still up anywhere.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Those would be fine, to be honest, I'm just looking for something better-looking than the official sheet or my own word processor hackwork. I emailed Mark at Plot Points, now I just need to work on stuff to make that kind of thing worthwhile.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Oh hey! Me again.

Guess what I found guys!

Mass effect RPG done with Marvel heroicish style:

Well.. its more like cortex plus but look at that GETH!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Looks kind of like Smallville meets MHR what with the Pathways. Not sure I want to know what the Rule 34 Asari intern entry is about, but I do want to learn more about the "Oh-poo poo-ometer."

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Oh BTW, does anyone know where one could find printer friendly versions of the Datafiles? Especially the ones in the first book.

I recall they released something like that but it isn't on any site that I can see.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Druggeddwarf posted:

Oh BTW, does anyone know where one could find printer friendly versions of the Datafiles? Especially the ones in the first book.

I recall they released something like that but it isn't on any site that I can see.

If you got the pdfs through DriveThruRPG, the printer friendly datafiles should be in your Library. If not, and assuming it doesn't run afoul of :filez:, I can email you the printer-friendly versions of the Basic, Civil War, and 50 State Initiative datafiles. Let me know and I'll double check with Winson to make sure it's kosher.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 28, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GimpInBlack posted:

Let me know and I'll double check with Winson to make sure it's kosher.

If it turns out to be kosher, I'd really love these as well.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Can't keep a good system down.

Edit: Anyone seen any good stats for Wilson Fisk? I may need a Kingpin in the near future, but I'm not sure how best o build him myself.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I've been reading Fate Core lately. My previous exposure to FATE variants left me kind of confused, but I think I finally get it. And when I do have my tiny epiphanies, I keep finding that it's through comparing it to stuff MHR does. Except that instead of using Fate points to get a +2 or reroll, you get to do much more exciting stuff with plot points. And the statting up somehow allows just as much flexibility as Aspects, but also gives you a clearly defined character that you can easily make unique, even though everyone has the same basic powers and skills to choose from.

What I'm saying is that I love MHR and can't wait to see the system continue in a Heroic Cortex Plus rulebook (that's still happening, right? Right?).

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I really hope so. It'd be a shame to leave it blowing in the wind.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Edit: Anyone seen any good stats for Wilson Fisk? I may need a Kingpin in the near future, but I'm not sure how best o build him myself.

He's on page CW145 if you have the Civil War event book.

ibntumart posted:

What I'm saying is that I love MHR and can't wait to see the system continue in a Heroic Cortex Plus rulebook (that's still happening, right? Right?).

Not sure if they're doing a full rulebook or not, but the C+ Hacker's Guide has the basic mechanics and the Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying rules.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

He's on page CW145 if you have the Civil War event book.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

If you got the pdfs through DriveThruRPG, the printer friendly datafiles should be in your Library. If not, and assuming it doesn't run afoul of :filez:, I can email you the printer-friendly versions of the Basic, Civil War, and 50 State Initiative datafiles. Let me know and I'll double check with Winson to make sure it's kosher.

I can't believe I missed this the first time round. Ended up making some using a template online. I own the civil war and the core book, so passing me the pdf datafiles of those should be alright.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
My Civil War game has started up and thus far is an absolute blast. I've decided to make a few changes to continuity to make the government not cartoonishly evil, one of the changes being from the Mac Gargan version of Venom to Agent Venom. Unfortunately for flash, I haven't read any comics starring him so I'm going purely by wikis for the datafile. Could someone with more knowledge of the character tell me what I'm doing wrong with this datafile?

quote:

AGENT VENOM/VENOM (Eugene "Flash" Thompson)

AFFILIATIONS
SOLO D8/D10
BUDDY D6/D8
TEAM D10/D6

DISTINCTIONS
Medal of Honor/Lethal Protector
High School Bully/Alien Parasite
Troubled Romances/Of Two Minds

SYMBIOTE ARMOR
SUPERHUMAN STRENGTH D10
SUPERHUMAN STAMINA D10
ENHANCED SPEED D8
SUPERHUMAN REFLEXES D10
SUPERHUMAN DURABILITY D10
WEAPON D8
SWINGLINE D6
WALL CRAWLING D6
SHAPESHIFTING D6

SFX: Hail Mary. Step up or double a SYMBIOTE power for one action. If that action fails, add the highest rolling dice to the doom pool.
SFX: Go Long. When creating an asset for an ally, add a D6 and step up the effect dice.
SFX: Dig Deep. Before taking an action, spend 1PP to add a doom dice to your pool. Step it back before returning it to the doom pool afterwards.
SFX: One Platoon System. When affecting multiple targets, for each target beyond the first add a D6 and keep an extra effect dice.
LIMIT: Vulnerabilities. Step up heat or sonic based stress or complications to gain 1PP
LIMIT: WE ARE VENOM! When you take emotional trauma, move all emotional stress and trauma to the doom pool, shut down all SYMBIOTE SFX and activate OUT OF CONTROL.

OUT OF CONTROL
When Flash loses control of the Symbiote, it starts integrating itself deeper with his body and mind. In this form he acts closer to the traditional Venom, though Flash is still in there fighting to get it back under wraps.

While OUT OF CONTROL is active, use the Affiliations and Distinctions after the slash.

SFX: Berzerk. Before taking an action, add a doom dice to your pool. Step up the dice before returning it, or step up the next highest dice if it was a D12.
SFX: Monstrous Toughness. Spend a PP to ignore physical stress, unless caused by fire or sonic based attacks.
SFX: Tentacles. When inflicting a RESTRAINED complication, add a D6 and step up the effect dice.
LIMIT: Unstable. Step up emotional stress received to gain 1PP.
LIMIT: I AM VENOM! When you take emotional trauma, move all emotional stress and trauma to the doom pool, shut down OUT OF CONTROL and activate all SYMBIOTE SFX.

SPECIALTIES
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Expert D8
Covert Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

MILESTONES
I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT!

1 XP When you discuss the symbiote or your host with another hero
3 XP When you first activate either one of your WE ARE VENOM or I AM VENOM Limits in a scene
10 XP When you either split permenantly, deciding that the symbiote is affecting you too much/that your host is too weak, or flee the government to keep the symbiote/stay bonded to your present host.

OLD SOLDIER, NEW HERO
1 XP When you discuss an heroic act like it was a military engagement
3 XP When you defy your superiors orders.
10 XP When you either quit heroics to work for the military full time, or take up heroics full time and leave military ops behind.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I've been meaning to ask, has anyone done anything with making original characters that aren't randomly generated yet?

I have a couple ideas, but wanted to see what others may have done first.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm afraid I can't help you with Venom because I'm not much of a comics expert.

I just came here to post this - http://potatocubed.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/a-very-brief-mhr-hack-for-exalted.pdf - which is a short thing I wrote about using MHR to run Exalted.

I wrote it a while back then realised I'd forgotten to tell anyone about it. :shobon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Error 404 posted:

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone done anything with making original characters that aren't randomly generated yet?

Ibn's running a couple in my current Civil War game. Plus the Annihilation book has a bunch of basic templates that are designed to be used to make original characters. You want to make a Kree warrior? He's a baseline for Kree warriors, go from there. That helps a lot with getting your basic concepts for character and playstyle down, which is really important if you want to have a character who's more interesting to play than Cyclops.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Defiance Industries posted:

Ibn's running a couple in my current Civil War game. Also the Annihilation book has a bunch of basic templates that are designed to be used to make original characters. You want to make a Kree warrior? He's a baseline for Kree warriors, go from there.

I'll have to try and snag the annihilation book then. Although I'm working on a different angle for originals.
Like, an idea I'm thinking about to have a little more balance is the progression of die steps:
1d12 = 2d10 = 3d8 = 4d6

I figured depending on power level and what the watcher is trying to run, every player gets 3d12 to play with, which can be broken down according to the above progression into however many powers they wish, spread into as many powersets as they wish while retaining a little bit of parity.

You can have a 3d12 powerhouse standing side by side with a 16d6 olympic level athlete, doctor, physicist, secret agent.

of course then I'm stuck trying to figure out a good average for SFX.

I'd probably want to expand the specialties list, and also add a 'competent' level at d6 or something.

Edit: I should've specified MHRPG, I forget about the other games. my bad.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Error 404 posted:

My college gaming group had a superhero campaign that started out in Mutants and Masterminds, but we did a special "spinoff" "season" of Ultimate Rebels (the Rebels being the team, Ultimate of course referring to the Marvel Ultimates line) in which we all had completely original characters, no actual Marvel dudes at all (other than Stanley Lieber being an investigative journalist [yes, we had a Stan Lee cameo, yes we are TREMENDOUS nerds]) and it worked out really well. I wish I knew where all our old datafiles were :\

EDIT: And there they were hiding in my Dropbox the whole time! Thanks, Marvel RP thread, for helping me dig up a big of nostalgia!

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Error 404 posted:

I'll have to try and snag the annihilation book then. Although I'm working on a different angle for originals.
Like, an idea I'm thinking about to have a little more balance is the progression of die steps:
1d12 = 2d10 = 3d8 = 4d6

I figured depending on power level and what the watcher is trying to run, every player gets 3d12 to play with, which can be broken down according to the above progression into however many powers they wish, spread into as many powersets as they wish while retaining a little bit of parity.

You can have a 3d12 powerhouse standing side by side with a 16d6 olympic level athlete, doctor, physicist, secret agent.

of course then I'm stuck trying to figure out a good average for SFX.

I'd probably want to expand the specialties list, and also add a 'competent' level at d6 or something.

I really wouldn't worry too much about balancing character creation. If a player has a solid concept, they should be allowed to take whatever traits and SFX they think the concept needs. This is a system where Hawkeye and Thor can work together without overshadowing each other. Sure, if someone makes a guy with all d12's, that might be a little iffy, but then that probably doesn't even fit his concept anyways unless he's making Galactus or something.

The only thing you should limit is scale, depending on the game you're running. If the game is all about street-level justice, then having a guy who is a powerful sorcerer and can teleport across space doesn't really fit, regardless of what die size his traits are.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah, I'm going to agree with Astus here. As long as everyone is on the same power level conceptually and no one goes completely nuts with the SFX, everyone's characters should work well together. Although that does remind me that at least one person should know what kind of stuff the common SFXes and Limits represent fictionally when you're making characters. Otherwise it'll be a bit hard choosing good ones for the characters they're trying to make.

On the subject of making characters, here's the random datafile generator someone reuploaded after MWP took it down. It at least shows that they don't mind having a large range of die sizes between power sets in the same party.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Captain Hats posted:

My Civil War game has started up and thus far is an absolute blast. I've decided to make a few changes to continuity to make the government not cartoonishly evil, one of the changes being from the Mac Gargan version of Venom to Agent Venom. Unfortunately for flash, I haven't read any comics starring him so I'm going purely by wikis for the datafile. Could someone with more knowledge of the character tell me what I'm doing wrong with this datafile?

Honestly it looks like you nailed it pretty well. It's probably more complicated than I'd make it, but that's a design thing rather than a character thing. About the only other thing that comes to mind is his bouts with alcoholism, but I don't know if that'd be a thing to fit in mechanically or not. Another thing is that early on he had a "Multi-Gun" which basically was a gadget that let him emulate any mundane gun, though I don't know if that would really be more than just Weapons.

It's worth looking up his series, the first half by Rick Remender (issues 1-22), was a lot of fun and really sold that take on the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Error 404 posted:

DI already mentioned my original characters in his game, as well as the Annihilation Event Book's premade statlines as starting points.

What I did for Ikzayal was to use the basic Eternal Power Set in the event book. I tweaked it a bit to reflect that she's not as experienced as most Eternals, adding an extra Limit and replacing the Millenia of Experience SFX with the more volatile and less disciplined Cutting Loose SFX. (The Psychic Hooks SFX I added later.) Her second power set developed naturally from the concept of her parents tinkering with her genetics to make it easier for her to hide among potentially hostile humans on Earth. I did roll for power levels on that power set, mind you.

Shadowjack also has the Annihilation book to thank. I had an idea of a mutant assassin, but with a bit of a tech bent. I liked the Assassin template as a starting point as well as the cybernetic senses from a couple of the other templates. My idea was a mutant who basically had the tech stuff implanted into him, so having a mutant healing factor and high stamina helped explain how he survived the grafting and integration process, and I kind of figured the tech control would be a cool something extra but not uberpowerful. It also fit in with the concept of having a hive colony of nanites in his body that he's always in communion with. Having a solid concept was really the most important thing for both of these PCs.

Also add me to the chorus about not worrying too much about tightly monitored starting power levels. That's not as important in MHRPG as it is in, say, Mutants & Masterminds, which is crunchier and much more heavily favors a tightly constructed character build.

• Locked thread