Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I think, though I'm still really new to this system, that I would be in to try and help make some fan-created events and PDFs. It's such a gorgeous system, and it captures the feel of comic adventures and superheroics. A Secret Invasion, Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and even a Secret Wars event could be awesome. So why not make them ourselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

ibntumart posted:

I didn't find any of those things, but what I *did* find was this nifty set of Defenders Milestones (there's others, but seriously who cares because Defenders):

Actually, the X-Factor Milestones are good, too. But the Defenders Milestones practically write the plots for you and makes me want to run a game where Doctor Strange basically shanghais PCs into joining his team and teleporting them into extradimensional danger every scene.

So basically, the Matt Fraction run that just ended? With the Concordance Engines? And groovy 60's Nick Fury?

Edit for context:
I can't find the exact panel I'm looking for, but this cover art pretty well sums up the situation.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 12, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well I like the look of him. If you are concerned that he's a little too powerful (which honestly, given his joke status, it's hard to say) knock a die off. Or maybe even make him a mob of d4s. I don't know if you are supposed to be able to do that, but it might work because seriously, they're just bees.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hey, I was fiddling around with designing characters, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help me. I'm designing a character around "Zoom," the Flash villain, who effectively has super speed by virtue of *existing outside of, and ahead of, normal time. Part of that is the ability to perceive events of the future, but there aren't any powers that do that, or any characters with "precognition" that I can use as a base in any of the books, from what I can tell. Other than Spider-Man's spider sense, that is.

The important thing about this character is that they aren't actually any faster than a normal (athletic) person, so I don't want to just copy from Speed or whatever. The fact that Cable, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver aren't included in these books is really starting to bug me.

*Comic books!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think most of it is covered by superhuman reflexes, and "Spider-Senses" for non-specific "something bad is going to happen in in two seconds if I don't move fast" kind of stuff. I guess I'm mostly looking for non-combat applications of that sort of brief foresight power. Maybe something like sorcery, where the character can create "foreknowledge" assets, or something? Obviously specifics and major details about the probable future would have to be Watcher controlled, but this could be a way for the character to give helpful boosts to the rest of the party with their power.

Edit: The Dr. Manhattan thing seems pretty powerful. I might try to scale it back, and see how it works. I also like the idea of an auto-win (re)action SFX for using the power to actively change the future. I think if I tack a price tag onto it, it could be a nice "Nova Blast" kind of thing for the character to use, when "Future Senses" just isn't enough.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 19, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Okay, so taking your suggestions into consideration, I've developed these two preliminary power sets representing the "super speed" and the "precognition" aspects of the character. I'm trying to achieve a double edged sword kind of balance between using the powers to their full potential, and keeping the character mentally and emotionally stable, hence the rather harsh limits. (It's very disorienting to exist outside of time, you know!)

Let me know what you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faster than Time Itself
Superhuman Speed(sort of!) d10, Superhuman Reflexes(kind of!) d10, Invisibility(effectively!) d10

SFX: Punch Everything! Target multiple opponents. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target of this attack.
SFX: 11 Seconds Worth. Against a single target, step up or double a Superhuman Speed die. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
SFX: You're Too Slow! Use two or more Faster than Time Itself powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Gotta Go fast! If Invisibility is used in a dice pool that does not also include Superhuman Speed, step up Mental or Emotional stress.
Limit: Strung Out in all Directions. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Faster than Time Itself. Recover Faster than Time Itself when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take Mental or Emotional trauma, shutdown Faster than Time Itself until you recover that trauma.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of and Across Time
Temporal Resistance d10, Future Senses d6, Future Control d6.

SFX: Spoilers. Spend 1 PP to add Future Senses (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice on an action or reaction.
SFX: Fight the Future. When suffering from Mental or Emotional stress, spend 1 PP to automatically succeed on a reaction roll. Shut down Out of and Across Time, until all stress is recovered.
SFX: I Know What Happens Next. When you succeed at a reaction roll against an opponent, spend 1 PP to create a "Future Knowledge" asset equal to the size of the opponent's effect die. This asset counts as an Out of and Across Time die for you, even when used in an ally's dice pool.

Limit: Blurring Out. If an action or reaction including and Out of and Across Time power trait fails, step up Mental or Emotional stress.
Limit: Impossible Girl. Add Temporal Resistance die to the opposing roll when others try to recover your stress.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I too was thinking of a thread revival thing. I think we need a big, awesome, group project or something.

So here's what I'm thinking: The game books have a bunch of villain datafiles, mostly haphazardly tossed in, and featuring some big names, and a lot of extremely esoteric ones, while omitting some MAJOR players in the villain world (Magneto, for instance.)

Why don't we throw together a goon-built "fiend folio" of sorts? We can group villains by associations (Sinister Syndicate, Masters of Evil, etc) and use that as a starting point to stat up some ready to use super-jerks, and super-jerk teams, collect them all in one easy to navigate PDF, and have a nice resource for folks to use? I feel like that would be easy enough to do, and probably a lot of fun.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

jivjov posted:

I'd be game for that. Are we keeping everything 616-compliant though? Most of my marvel familiarity is from the Cinematic Universe films and the Ultimates line.

I don't know too much about Ultimates myself, other than to say there are certainly significant differences between the two. I would think going for the most basic (as in, general) presentation for any given character would be ideal, but having alternate versions based off the film or Ultimates universe stuff (or making those their own PDF collections?) would work.

I guess the idea would be; if the character has essentially the same powers and abilities in 616 and Ultimates, then stat them out as simply as possible. Watchers can always modify them to suit their needs.

If they are significantly different, ability wise, then we could either present an alternate datafile, or a way to modify the datafile to match that Universe's version of the character. Maybe in a side box? I think the biggest differences for most characters would be history/personality things, and those would be largely flavor and Distinction changes, right?

Solomonic posted:

I'm always up to help out, although you probably want to check the wiki before coming up with anything.

I think that this could be a good resource to get ideas from, definitely. A lot of these entries seem to be placeholders, and more than a few are... questionable, I think. But we can use the power of feedback to iron out the things that don't seem right, and hopefully fill some of these big ol' gaps.

Astus posted:

Well, I created a custom Mysterio datafile for my PbP game, with the help of Solomonic and some spanish Mysterio datafile he found. I think I may have gone overboard with it, however.

Well, what do you think was overboard about it? Having fought the guy, I can say he felt about right to me (hard to pin down, kept pulling tricks out of thin air to slow our progress, etc,) but maybe I have too high an opinion of the guy. We can certainly work on it, if people are willing (and I'm happy to see that they are!)

And, since Astus started us off with Mysterio, how about we start by pulling together a few more of the Sinister Six, as a jump off point.

I'll make a short "Most Wanted" list, and anyone who has ideas can try their hand at making a datafile. We can fine tune and discuss the submissions, and then compile them into a little PDF or something. And of course, submissions not from the list are still welcome. It's more a start point than anything.

:siren:S.H.I.E.L.D. Most Wanted List #1: The Sinister Six:siren:
Six of Spider-Man's classic villains, banded together by Doc Ock to take the Web-Slinger down for good. Though the Six eventually grew into a full-on Syndicate, and the membership has changed over the years as villains came and went, the original line-up have been some of Spidey's most persistent adversaries.

APB On:
Doctor Octopus Awaiting Trial
Electro Locked Up
Kraven the Hunter Captured by INS, arranging deportation
Mysterio In custody, undergoing questioning.
Sandman Surrounded, with no hope of escape.
The Vulture Picked up at a bus station, yelling at squirrels.

So have at it, and please, feel free to challenge my methods and assumed authority over this venture. Because honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! (Also, let me know if, in fact, any of these guys are already in the books someplace.)

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 10, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Solomonic posted:

Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

Powerset: Robotic Harness

Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10
Stretching d8, Wall-Crawling d6, Cybernetic Senses d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target up to 3 additional enemies. For each additional target, add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Multitasking. Add multiple Robotic Harness powers to your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I'm a Genius! Step up any science or tech resources you create during an action scene.
SFX: Criminal Mastermind. Borrow a die from the doom pool for one action. If that action succeeds, return the die afterwards. If it fails, you may either take the die as mental stress or step it down before returning it.
SFX: Uplinked. Doctor Octopus can remotely control his arms, and may create assets or complications in scenes where he is not physically present if his dice pool contains Cybernetic Senses.
Limit: Can't Take a Joke. Step up emotional stress from taunting and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.
Limit: Cybernetic Malfunction. Shut down Robotic Harness and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.

Specialties: Crime Expert d8, Science Master d10, Tech Master d10

I did this in literally five minutes so it's definitely open to debate. I kinda feel like I missed something important but I can't put my finger on what it is. shobon

My two cents, he should probably be a Team d8 (lead the Six and the MoE), Solo d6, Buddy d4, and I feel like he needs Enhanced Reflexes d10 (those arms are preternaturally aware) maybe Enhanced Speed (pretty fast on those things,) and an Energy Blast of some sort (he does build lasers and crap into them.) It seems like this might make his one powerset pretty bloated, but he's a fairly topheavy character, I think.

Opinions?

GimpInBlack posted:

Looks pretty good, but you're right on missing important things: You forgot to give him Affiliation dice, and his power set doesn't have a Limit. I'd maybe give him some kind of EMP weakness or something that steps up emotional stress when he argues with his arms.

Hell, why not?

Kraven the Hunter
Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Distinctions
Maniacal Big-Game Hunter
Obsessed With Spider-Man
The Honor of the Hunt

MYSTICAL JUNGLE POTION
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Senses d10

SFX: Hunter's Focus. In a pool including a Mystical Jungle Potion die, replace two dice of the same size with one die at +1 step.
SFX: Elaborate Preparations. When inflicting a trap-related or Power Loss complication, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Pressure Point Strikes. Against a single target, step back the largest die in your pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
Limit: Regular Doses. Shutdown Mystical Jungle Potion to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Participate in a Transition Scene to recover.

TRAINED LIONS
The Pride 3d8
Leaping d8
Terrible Jaws d8

SFX: Pack Tactics. Step up or double a Trained Lions die for one action. Remove the highest-rolling die and keep an additional die for your result
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
Limit: Out of Control! Turn The Pride into a complication and shut down all other Trained Lion powers to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: Pride Cohesion. The Pride may be targeted individually or by Area Attack SFX. d10 physical stress inflicted removes a die from The Pride. Recover The Pride after a Transition Scene.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Master
Covert Master
Menace Expert
Psych Expert

I like it! Hits all the high notes, and since the Pride is a separate powerset, it can be removed if desired, or possibly even used as a separate encounter. He's got the strength and skill to tangle with the likes of Cap or Spidey, and enough special flare to feel like Kraven to me.

ibntumart posted:

Here's my contribution (and here's the inspiration):

Angar the Screamer (David Allan Angar)

Solo D10 Buddy D8 Team D6

Distinctions
Don't Got Much Else Goin' On
Undeservedly Confident
Hippy Idealist

Powersets

Hallucinatory Scream

Mind Control D10
Sonic Blast D10

SFX: Oddly Forgettable. Add a die to the doom pool to keep an extra effect die and apply it toward a I WAS NEVER HERE Complication.
SFX: Everyone Pay Attention. Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
Limit: Not As Great As I Think I Am. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using a Hallucinatory Scream power.

Specialties
Crime Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

I've loved this dude ever since my angsty mid-teens when I considered changing my name to (a slightly differently spelled version of) this, and googled it just out of curiosity. Thank you for this!

And thanks to everybody for jumping in on the idea. I'm working on Sandman and Vulture (Classic) right now, and I'll try to post them some time tonight. APB #1 is looking good!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

So, here's my take on Sandman. He's part Dust, part Hydro-Man, and a bit more dangerous than the latter (as is only fair.) Let me know what you think.

pre:
Sandman (William "Flint Marko" Baker)
Affiliations: 
	Solo [D8], Buddy [D6], Team [D10]

Distinctions:
	Career Criminal
	Dust in the Wind
	Not All Bad

Sand Form:
	Enhanced Durability d10, Intangibility d8, Shape-Shifting d8, Growth d8, Superhuman Strength d10, Stretching d8

SFX: Sandstorm. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep
an additional effect die.
SFX: Smother. Add d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in your pool by –1. Step up 
physical stress inflicted or complications created by +1.
SFX: Reforming. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover physical stress and step back your physical trauma by -1.

Limit: Dust Busted. Step up physical stress from water and vacuum-based effects and step up or add a d6 to the doom pool.

Specialties:
	Crime Expert, Menace Expert.
Edit: I was also considering making a "SFX: Sand Trap. On a reaction against a melee attack, inflict a Sand Trap with your effect die at no doom die cost or spend a doom die to step it up by +1." But would this be too much?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 10, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I should probably mention that when I compile these into a PDF (which I'm not entirely certain how to do nicely, just yet) I'm going to be retroactively reducing the affiliation die by a step, just to keep them in line with the Watcher datafiles from the book. Consistency, and all.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Astus posted:

Well, if he can get an illusion-based complication on his opponents, then he ends up as a sort of "mini" Large-Scale Threat, thanks to his Fake Out SFX. I might also have a biased opinion on his strength because I had a d12 in the doom pool at the time, and I never used it in any of his actions that were used to create illusion complication, because his Convincing Illusions SFX would allow him to one-shot a player.

Also, Mysterio is my favorite villain, so there's pretty much no way I didn't make him slightly more powerful than he probably should be.

That is a fair point. My thoughts on making it less harsh: Reduce the 3d8 Duplicates to 3d6 (or even d4?) and/or reduce Illusions to d8. And probably nix the Convincing Illusions SFX. Certainly he should have plenty of hobbling power, and a tendency to stick around longer than expected, but Mysterio is a nuisance, not a powerhouse. He should trip up the heroes, certainly, but you are right, he shouldn't be able to one-shot them. What do you think?

Also, here's everyone's favorite flying green grampa: Vulture!

pre:
Vulture (Adrian Toomes)
Affiliations: 
	Solo [D6], Buddy [D8], Team [D10]

Distinctions:
	Expert Engineer
	Oft Underestimated
	Grim Grandfather

Magnetic Flight Harness:
	Enhanced Reflexes d8, Flight d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Razor Feathers d6. 

SFX: Razor Wing Slash. Add d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in pool by –1. Step up 
physical stress inflicted by +1.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Magnetic Flight Harness and step up or add d6 to the doom pool. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
	Acrobatic Expert, Tech Expert, Science Expert, Crime Expert.

It wouldn't be too difficult to change this to the James Natale version. He'd just need some sort of corrosive vomit power, and distinction/affiliation changes.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I made these earlier today, because I was bored. Not on my list, but what the hell, they're close enough.

pre:
Rhino (Alexi Sytsevich)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d6], Buddy [d10], Team [d8]

Distinctions:
	Big and Dumb
	Greedy
	Head First

Gamma Ray Treatments:
Superhuman Durability d10, Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Stamina d10, Enhanced Speed d8,

SFX: Rhino Hide. Spend a d6 from the doom pool to ignore physical stress or trauma unless caused by Acid-based effects.
SFX: Charge! Step up or double Superhuman Strength for one action. If that action fails, gain an Out of Control 
complication equal to your effect die

Limit: Easily Provoked. Step up emotional stress inflicted on Rhino by taunting to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up
 its lowest die.

Specialties:
Menace Expert, Crime Expert,
pre:
Boomerang (Fred Myers)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d8], Buddy [d6], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Aussie Assassin
	Corrupt
	Bitter Man

Outback Arsenal
Boomerangs d8, Flight d6, 

SFX: They Come Back to You in the End: Spend a d6 from the doom pool to reroll when using the Boomerangs power.
SFX: Shatterangs. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Razorangs. Add d6 and step up the effect die when using Boomerangs to inflict physical stress against a single target.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Outback Arsenal and add a d6 to the doom pool. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Combat Expert, Crime Expert,
Boomerang might be a bit too much(?) and I'm not sure I'm happy with his distinctions. Not sure. And I couldn't come up with a solid way to make Rhino's charge really deadly if he hits but easier to dodge, so I made his SFX give him better odds at doing big damage (potential d12) and his limit reflect how his speed makes it hard for him to change course or slow down once he starts. I strongly encourage that the Watcher activates it anytime he charges (which should be pretty often. He is the Rhino after all.)

I'd like to ask the thread for it's opinions, thoughts, and critiques of any and all of these villain datafiles. Do they seem fair and accurate? Would you change anything? If I don't get responses (other than my own thoughts) I'll assume they are satisfactory to those concerned. And if anyone feels like playtesting a few of these guys, that'd be swell. Sometimes things look fine on paper, but don't really work in practice. Let us know how they work out if you do give them a try! Let's get some discussion of the pros and cons going, super-friends!

I'd also like to ask the creators for permission to collect them into a PDF, as originally proposed, so we can make a "Menace Manual" at some point. I don't want to assume that just because you ran with my project idea that you consented to actually being involved with it.

Edit: Made the recommended changes to Rhino, and nixed Boomerang's non-weapons powerset. He doesn't need it.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 13, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Claytor posted:

Try dropping the current Limit and replacing Charge! with "Step up or double Superhuman Strength for one action. If that action fails, gain an OUT OF CONTROL complication equal to your effect die."

For his Limit, what about this?

Easily Provoked: Step up emotional stress inflicted on Rhino to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up its lowest die.

Putting some work into the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants right now. Hope to have something up later today.

I like it! I'll make that change to the final version. And yes, this game needs more of the Brotherhood (it needs any of the brotherhood!)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Fantastic work! I was thinking of posting up another apb for Brotherhood members, and you've done over half the work already. We are maki g real good progress guys.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I think

Should be renamed "SFX: Make way for the Homo Superior" but I'm a sucker for David Bowie references.

I second that.

Edit: I'm also a little iffy about some of the affiliations. Scarlet Witch strikes me as more of a team d8, buddy d10 to me. She works best in pairs imo. And I feel like Magneto is more like a solo d8, team d10 (he's ruled nations of Mutants, even empires of them!) and Blob, I think, works with Toad as a partner most of the time. Maybe buddy d10, team d8? I'm not an X-men afficionado though. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's a very good point about Magneto. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Guess I also assumed you were going for Early Brotherhood/Cooky Quartet Avengers Wanda, so that's where I was coming from.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

:siren:S.H.I.E.L.D. Most Wanted List #2: The Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants:siren:
Terrorists? Freedom Fighters? Mutant Supremacists? Or heroes to the downtrodden and marginalized? Magneto's Brotherhood, with or without his leadership, have stood against human and mutant alike, engaging in both philosophical and physical disputes the X-Men and Avengers on numerous occasions. So long as mankind hates and fears mutants, the Brotherhood will be there to strike back, and to fight for Homo Superior's proper place as the dominant species on Earth.

APB On:
Astra
Avalanche
Destiny
Mastermind
Pyro

Toad: Left Behind in Genosha.

:siren:BONUS!:siren:
The Vanisher!

Since several core members of the BoM (Mystique and Sabertooth for instance) are in the X-Men Civil War book, and Claytor already stated out a few of the others (Magneto!), I took a scratch at the surface of some past members. Turns out, there a re a ton of really obscure mutants who've numbered among the ranks (Including Mentallo. Who knew?!) Here are a few suggestions, but there are tons of others to try out if the mood strikes you. Have at it, true believers!

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 14, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Not that I could find. But datafiles tend to get mixed up in weird places sometimes. The books are so disorganized, it's almost criminal.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Claytor posted:

No write-up for Pyro, but there is an official Toad in Civil War: X-Men.

If you're looking for a particular datafile, this spreadsheet is a huge help. It's got every official datafile that's come out, and a pretty comprehensive listing of fan datafiles.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWqfwOICbvldGY4RWVQTjFPTlFPeHN4Q1ljMmNNUFE#gid=1

I've got a Mastermind I can post in a little bit. Put him together months ago, but for some reason figured no one would be interested in him. Also, playable, Breakout-appropriate versions of Jubilee and Beak.

I am definitely interested in a Jubilee datafile, she's my second favorite X-person! And thanks for the link. I thought I remembered seeing Toad in one of the books, but didn't come across him when I checked again before throwing together the APB list.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'd love to see some Tick stuff. That could be a really fun game to try to out!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I hadn't looked, but Ultron is a must have. Maybe the Ms of E should be the next step pf the project. Still gotta get the B o M done though.
I'll take a peek around for Ultrons and let you know what I find.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I agree with your take on Arthur. He's underwhelming, but clever, and always manages to make a difference in the end, so leaving what he can potentially do up in the air is a good route to take, I think. Nice work, Diskhotep.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Claytor, NICE WORK! The only thing I had a thought about was Gambit's affiliations. I'd swap his team and buddy, since he seems to get into the most trouble when he's working with a full team. And thanks for Jubilee and Juggernaut especially!

Looking at Captain Hats datafile, I think it might actually be really fun to run a game for a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Less powerful, more expendable, thoroughly upgradeable S.H.I.E.L.D. agents!

JDCorley posted:

The best use of any X-Man power is "the power, but Colossus throws it".

Brilliant!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Nice. I haven't had a lot of time to work on "Monster Manual" project, building datafiles and whatnot, so if anyone is interested, throw your contributions all over the place! Looking for any kind of Marvel super villains, not just the ones on the current list, so fire away with whatever you've got.

Incidentally, what I have been fiddling with is making a template for datafiles for the eventual PDF collection thing. I do not know what I'm doing here, but I've been looking at tutorials (really boring ones!) and I'm realizing that this'll need art assets at some point, unless we are cool with it being super ugly. Which I might be, I dunno. Anyone with experience on this sort of thing want to weigh in?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Finally sat down and tinkered with datafiles again. I'm not a huge X-men follower, so if these seem off to anyone more in the know, let me hear about it!

pre:
Pyro (St. John Allerdyce)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d6], Buddy [d8], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Blaze of Glory
	A Chance for Redemption?
	Hack Novelist 

Pyrokinesis:
	Fire Control d8, Fire Resistance d10

SFX: Fireball. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an 
additional effect die.

SFX: Extra Effective. When including Fire Control as part of an attack against Fire or 
Ice targets, add d6 and step up effect die by +1.

SFX: Immunity: Spend a d6 from the doom pool to ignore stress, trauma, or complications 
from Fire.

Limit: Mutant. When effected by a mutant specific complication or tech, step up the lowest 
die in the doom pool or add a d6 doom die.

I Only Control the Flame:
	Flamethrowers d8

Limit: Shutdown an I Only Control the Flame power to step up the lowest die in the doom 
pool or add a d6 doom die. Spend a doom die to recover that power.

Specialties:
	Crime Expert, Menace Expert 
pre:
Avalanche (Dominikos Petrakis)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d8], Buddy [d6], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Fight for Mutant Rights
	Loyal Friend
	F@$! X-men!

Shock-Wave Generation:
	Seismic Mastery d10, Burrowing d8, Leaping d6

SFX: Quake. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an 
additional effect die.

SFX: Broken Earth. Add a d6 and step up the effect die by +1 when using Seismic Mastery 
to create Broken Earth complications.

SFX: Fault Lines. Add a doom die to an attack action. After that action, step back the 
doom die and return it to the doom pool.

Limit: Mutant. When effected by a mutant specific complication or tech, step up the 
lowest die in the doom pool or add a d6 doom die.

Limit: Seismic Feedback. Count 1s and 2s on dice as opportunities when using a Shock-Wave 
Generation  power.

Specialties:
	Business Expert, Crime Expert
Not super happy about Pyro. I know he can build stuff out of fire like Iceman can with ice, but I wasn't sure if an SFX for that really fit him.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

ibntumart posted:

You could always cover that through narrating exactly what he's doing with his Fire Control power or Extra Effective SFX, though.

Thanks for doing these too, by the way. We're that much closer to a classic Freedom Force write-up.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It would have been too simple to do these two with blast powers, so the control was a way to make them more versatile, like in the comics.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

No, I didn't, but I really ought to. I wanted to figure out how best to run that idea with Sion before I started. I'll see what I can come up with.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

pre:
Man-Thing (Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d10], Buddy [d8], Team [d6]

Distinctions:
	Ex-Human Abomination
	Guardian of the Nexus of Reality
	All Who Know Fear...

Inhuman Form:
	Godlike Durability d12, Godlike Stamina d12, Superhuman Strength d10, Telepathy d8, Growth d8, Intangibility d6

SFX: ...Burn at the Man-Thing's Touch. When any character present in a scene involving Man-Thing suffers from Emotional 
Stress or Emotional Trauma, step up Man-Thing's effect die on all Physical attack actions.

SFX: Frenzy. At no cost, add existing Emotional Stress to any dice pool including an
Inhuman Form power, then step up Emotional Stress by +1.

SFX: Semi-Solid. Spend 1 PP to ignore Physical Stress or Physical Trauma unless caused by Fire or Energy-based actions. 

SFX: Marsh Born. When occupying wetlands, marsh, swamp, or other moist environments with heavy vegetation, spend 1 PP to 
recover all Physical stress and step back Physical trauma.

Limit: Mindless. Man-Thing has no emotions or thoughts of his own, and cannot effectively communicate. Man-Thing never 
gains Mental Stress or Mental Trauma. Step up the effect die of any complication caused by Mind Control, Telepathy, or 
similar effects against Man-Thing by +1. 

Limit: Marsh Born. Man-Thing may only recover Physical Stress and Physical Trauma when in a moist environment with heavy
 vegetation.

Limit: Infernal Man-Thing. Man-Thing must always attack the character with the highest Emotional Stress or Emotional 
Trauma that he can reach, unless directed by Mind Control, Telepathy, or similar effects to do otherwise. Man-Thing 
continues to attack in this manner until all characters with Emotional Stress or Emotional Trauma are unconscious, 
dead, or beyond the reach of Man-Thing's Telepathy. 

Specialties:
	Covert Master, Menace Master
Edit: loving done. And scary. This is of course a comic version, and would work just as well (probably better) as a Watcher character.

For the West Coast Avenger's Initiative idea, he'd have been a duo with Jennifer Kale: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Man-Thing would have been reigned in by Kale's own Telepathy, and essentially functioned as an additional (unpredictable) powerset of a sort.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That is awesome. Any chance you'd do a Silver Savage and/or Red King to go with?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Just in case anyone might be interested but missed the thread, I'm starting up a new MHRP game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558112

There's still a few days to apply before I make my picks, so if you like the kind of weirdness that the Defenders get into, this may be the game for you!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh, these are GOOD. Really just excellent work, Claytor!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think that'd be pretty great. Although I still haven't figured out how to stop IRC from kicking me after 1-2 hours of inactivity. If I could stay on more often, I think it'd be really nice to chat with the community, and share tips and whatnot.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

First, I love the Versatile Weaponry SFX, and will probably have to borrow that idea for future use (it's so simple that it's genius!) Second, have you considered splitting the powers into two, or possibly even three power sets? In addition to making him deadlier by virtue of increased pool potential, and versatility, it would definitely help to de-clutter his datafile. It's a lot to take in as a solid block of awesome powers!

Edit: I'm also not sure why he has Crime Master, but maybe it's something I just don't know about the character?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Phone posting, but I'm marathoning The Venture Bros. and I felt compelled to make this:

Brock Samson (public)

Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Buttercream Frosted Murder Cake
The Most Feared Man in Espionage
"They Hit Me With a Truck..."

Living Legend
Durability d8, Reflexes d8, Stamina d8, Strength d8, Speed d6, Swimming d6

SFX: Super Kill-Guy. Add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.

SFX: 1/2 Swedish, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Winnebago. Use two or more Living Legend powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

SFX: Bodyguard. Spend 1 PP to take Physical stress intended for a nearby ally or friend.

SFX: Bring it On! Before you make an action including a Living Legend power, you may move your Physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the Living Legend power by +1 for this action.

Limit: Hidden Pain. Step up mental or emotional stress included in an action that targets you and gain 1 PP. Step back stress by –1 step if the action fails.

This is My Field Kit
Knife d8

SFX: Prey on Their Fear. Target multiple opponents. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target when you attempt to afflict your opponents with an Intimidated complication.

SFX: Feel the Kill. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up Physical stress inflicted by +1.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Knife and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert, Combat Master, Crime Expert, Covert Expert, Menace Master, Tech Expert, Vehicle Expert

Slayer of Men... Slayer of Hench-Men...
1xp when you defeat an enemy with extreme overkill
3xp when you stress out a non-mob-die, non-specialist opponent, in a single action
10xp when you finally fight a worthy opponent to a stalemate

Can't Teach a Hammer to Love Nails
1xp when a situation actually breaks through your stoic exterior
3xp when you feel regret for killing someone
10xp when you either seek out deeper meaning or true love in your life, or accept the fact that you are merely a government trained killing machine

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 24, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Glad you like it. I spent way too long trying to think of good references to name everything after. Just out of curiosity, who would you re-skin him as? Or was that just in general?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Who might we reskin him as indeed, Danger. Who indeed.

:stare:

Rock Handsome?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Basically, if you randomly generate a character, and end up with the "Uncommon Powers" theme, you're better off re-rolling. Unless you want to try and explain a guy who's powers are getting really big, turning invisible, and commanding plant life.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh sure, it's great the first time. But "Invisible-Giant-Plant Man" gets really old after the fifth time you've rolled him. Same with "The Intangible-Animal-Stretcher."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'm not a DC fanatic, so I can't really say, though I am very excited to see some of these guys. Are you collecting these to share with the community, or are they more for personal use?

• Locked thread