Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm surprised there's so little love for MHRP here. Seriously, it rocks. I've just started running a campaign and it seems to have all the best parts of Spirit of the Century, Wushu, and a few more its own.

After two sessions, my group are learning to assemble their dice pool effectively (seriously, that took some explaining and an e-mail between sessions), I haven't introduced XP until we finish breakout, and everything else is rocking - although one of the PCs would have disagreed for a while (the player came up with a young mutant as character concept and didn't know what powers to give her - we aren't using canon characters right now, so I had her infected with a Carnage Spawn Symbiote).

And I'm fairly sure that Hulk could flatten Punisher unless Punisher played it smart - although I'm surprised Hulk has Healing Factor and not Invulnerable. The Punisher can win some rounds against the Hulk - but the Hulk's going to just shrug the damage off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solomonic posted:

That's part of the appeal of the system for me, it rewards playing it smart. Frank could inflict mental stress using flashbangs in order to disorient the Hulk. He could create a complication by blowing up the ground under the Hulk and dropping him in a hole, or putting semtex on a building and collapsing it onto him, and step that complication up past d12. He could shout at the Hulk about all the collateral damage and casualties the rampage is causing, inflicting emotional stress. If all else fails, he could just shoot him over and over and force him to SFX the damage away until Hulk's out of doom dice and can't do it anymore (although he runs a very good chance of getting splattered while he tries to do so).

It's a benefit of playing an SFX-heavy character. People have lots of stress recovery abilities, but there's not much they can do against well-applied complications. :cool:

It rewards playing it smart for some characters more than others - complications are easier to remove than stress (but eat up actions to do so). What I really like is that Spider-Man is rewarded for playing smart and complicating things, Iron Man is rewarded for doing something ridiculous by shutting down either strength of durability, and launching a stepped up unibeam area attack with an asset he created earlier and his tech mastery to Nuke Everything in a Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg plan he cooked up earlier*, and Thing is mostly rewarded in combat for saying "It's Clobbering Time".

* d10 Solo, d4 Cutting Edge Tech**, d12 stepped up superhuman strength, 2d10 Unibeam, d10 Tech Master, d10 Asset, d10 Stunt, and a handful of d6.
= d12+6d10(!)+(n)d6+d4 - I think that can wipe out a small army.
** We want as many plot points as possible to make this a ridiculous success. Put four of those big dice in the dice pool and we're up to a total of something like 25 - or multiple levels of extraordinary success and taking people straight into trauma.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solomonic posted:

At last, I have found a term for the kind of successes my party gets. Our Moon Knight player in particular rolls so many opportunities that he can just make it rain plot points on the critical rolls (I have them hard-capped at 5 but he always gets just enough in time for the right moment), and twice now he's gotten so many extraordinary successes that he's immediately stressed out his target. Granted, a lot of the time he has mental stress from calling for vengeance and he's out of PP afterwards, but still, seeing the dude leap into action and immediately decapitate Silver Samurai with his own sword is impressive as hell from a metagame perspective.

Nice!

quote:

It incorporates all kinds of combat and powers well, and I'm willing to bet it could be easily adapted to universes other than Marvel. It's great to see somebody else who likes the system as much as I do because I don't feel it gets nearly enough love, it should be right up there with FATE in terms of roleplay-driven gaming.

I honestly think it's better than FATE that way (with the distinctions invoked by the player rather than invoked/compelled by the DM) - and the RPG.net forums love MHRP to pieces. But I think there are two reasons it doesn't get the love it deserves.

1: Cortex. It claims to be a Cortex+ system game - the first three Cortex games (the blue generic book, Serenity, Supernatural) were all second rate at best. So people see Cortex and think of those two games (Serenity was quite popular) rather than giving it a look on its own merits - or looking at it through the lens of the Smallville and Leverage RPGs, both of which are awesome.

For comparison, Character sheets: Cortex, Serenity, Supernatural //// Smallville, Leverage, MHRP - Rogue. Spot the difference?

2: Superheroes. It's a genre that's been done. Done repeatedly. This is what? The fourth licensed game for Marvel alone - and there are at least two for DC. There are at least three versions of Mutants and Masterminds, there's Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, Icons, and many more - not counting superhero rules in generic systems like GURPS. So the market's crowded and you need to know to look for MHRP.

And thanks for that link. *chuckles evilly*

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

@Princess Wuffles, mind if I continue the MHRP write-up on FATAL and Friends?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm planning on running a Nextwave one-shot in MHRP - and I'm well aware that my plotting isn't quite "out there" enough to do the job properly. So I'm looking for help (I've already had some from RPG.net)

The basic plot is a side story that happened pre-showdown with General Anger. He unleashes one of his vilest weapons against the Nextwave team to bring them under control. Lawyers.

Scene 1 the Paralegals arrive (to a Starbucks) with a cease-and-desist order. They file against Monica for damages for misusing the Captain Marvel name, move to have Machine Man declared a dangerous weapon rather than a person, subpoena Tabby for a Child Endangerment case against X-Everything, and put numerous Health and Safety violations in against Castle Bloodstone. (The Captain they tell they'll sue when he has money). These paralegals are, of course, Human Resources Broccoli. And are trying to persuade the Nextwave Team to come to a Star Chamber run by the Living Tribunal

Paralegal: Affiliations: Solo d4, Buddy d6 d6, Team d8 d8 d8 d8
Distinctions: Human Resources Broccoli, Excessively Pedantic
Powers: Broccoli: Enhanced Strength d6, Superhuman Durability d8, Superhuman Stamina d8.
Limit: Flammable. Step up all stress taken from fire (assuming Tabby hasn't turned them into kibble without the help)
Menace Expert

Scene 2 is working out who they work for. A front of the Beyond corporation, of course. Messrs Dewey, Screwem, and Howe. Transition scene as they decide how to prepare. Dewey, Screwem, and Howe is, of course, also representing HATE.

Scene 3: The arrival at the law firm. Including security guards (which Tabby can treat as cops), more broccoli paralegals, sentient red tape, and sharks. Shout-outs include the blonde vampire receptionist, and a case file for a Dr House that takes up an entire wall.

Red Tape:
Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6
Such A Tangled Web, Duct Tape can hold anything
Powers:
Superhuman stretching d10, superior reflexes d8, Superhuman durability d8
Crime Expert, Tech Expert, Menace Expert
Sfx: Afflict, Area Attack. Limit: Flammable

Security Drones (robot, count as police for Tabby's benefit)
solo d4 team d6 d6 buddy d8d8d8d8
Distinctions: Not very lively model decoy. Sleeping on the job.
Weapon Sidearm: d8
Sfx: Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy. An opportunity is generated (and a dice in the doom pool is stepped up) on a roll of 1 or 2.
Limit: Gear
Mechanical body: Durability d8, Strength d8
Limit: Robot. Step up physical stress against anything robot-centric

Paralegals (As above)

Scene 4 is the showdown with messrs Dewey (librarian/researcher/patent troll), Screwem (Lawyer/Wereshark), and Howe (Rules Lawyer/Munchkin), and takes place on a Number 88 Routemaster (for those of you who know about British legal practice that's the Clapham Omnibus - and for those who know about engineering, Routemasters are made of aluminium). Unless I turn the Clapham Omnibus into a transformer.

Dewey:
Affiliation: Solo d6, Buddy d8, Team d10
Distinctions: Patent Troll, You're a knockoff, Any 4-chan meme

Powers:
D&D Troll Superhuman durability d8, Claws D6, Superhuman Strength d8
Sfx: Regeneration: Transfer physical stress to the doom pool and step up next roll.
Limit: Vulnerable to fire. Regeneration may not be used after fire or acid attacks and increase physical stress by fire, acid, and 'splode attacks.

Internet Troll: Psychic Attack d8, Enhanced senses d8
Sfx: Never gonna give you up: Replace two dice of equal size with one larger dice.
Sfx: 2 girls 1 cup/Lemonparty/Tubgirl/Goatse/etc: When using Psychic Attack to inflict emotional stress add a d6 to your pool and step up stress inflicted.
Limit: Internet Tough Guy. Not sure.

Menace expert d8, Tech expert d8, Mystic incompetent d4

Screwem
Affiliation Solo d10 Buddy d8 Team d6
Distinctions: Blood in the Water, Winning is the only thing that matters, Unchanged for a million years

Powers:
Wereshark: Enhanced Strength d8, Enhanced Durability d8, Superhuman Reflexes d8, Weapon (jaws) d10, Enhanced Stamina d8, Enhanced swimming d8
Sfx: Were-creature Regeneration: Transfer physical stress to the doom pool and step up roll unless affected by silver.#
Sfx: Vicious. Add a d6 when inflicting physical stress, and step up effect dice.
Limit: Objection: Shut down any wereshark power to add d6 to the doom pool

Menace Master d10, Combat expert d8, Acrobatic Expert d8, Science Incompetent d4

Howe
Affiliations: Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8
Distinctions: Not as scary as he thinks, Munchkin,

Power Sets:

The Number 88 Bus
Superior Speed d6, Enhanced Durability d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Rules Control d8
Sfx: Area
Limit: We stop when we're requested. Add a d6 to the Doom Pool to allow someone else on The Number 88 Bus. The Number 88 Bus may no longer be used in rolls targetting that character.

Blatant Munchkinery
Superhuman Rules Control d10
Sfx: Rule on Page 94: Step up the affect dice when creating assets that come from another game
Sfx: Bribe The Watcher: Spend a doom dice to reroll.
Sfx: Elven Fighter/Magic User/Cleric/Thief: Step up or double Superhuman Rules Control, Remove the highest rolling dice, and use three dice for the total.
Limit: Really Annoying: Step up the lowest die in the doom pool or add d6 doom dice to step up mental or emotional stress.
Limit: Watcher wants to see him fall. 1s and 2s count as opportunities.

Crime Expert D8

(For those who don't know, the Number 88 was the actual designation of the Clapham Omnibus, and the Man on the Clapham Omnibus is the British legal equivalent to the Reasonable Man; one of the group is a trained lawyer, and the group actually plays in Clapham so they will all get that).
Crime Expert: d8

Anyway, I haven't done the datafiles yet - but suggestions to turn this up from insane to Nextwave levels? Or for some of the datafiles?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I really want to like this game, but I don't know if I can get my regular group into a game where every dice roll is a 7-step process plus 4 things you can do with PP before the roll and 4 things you can do with PP after the roll.

The plot points aren't hard, just obfuscated and with redundant options. And the game makes the whole thing look much harder than it is.

Things you can do with a plot point before the roll:

Add a dice to the dice pool.
  • D6 if you can't be bothered to describe why you're doing it (no one ever does this) - a push
  • d8 if you describe why you're doing it - a stunt
  • d10 if there's a drat good reason like an opportunity in play or you just corpsed the table with your description.

For simplicity when I teach the game I treat using a second power from a powerset as a stunt and just ignore that some really powerful people can get d10s or even d12s by the RAW. Encouraging people to stunt is more fun and more interesting. And no one ever includes their own stress - it's never worth it until d10 and unless you're playing second wind shenanigans no one ever wants to step up d10 stress on themselves.

Things you can do with a plot point after the roll:

Keep an extra dice from the dice pool
  • An extra dice to add to your total score
  • An effect dice to counterattack (so you have one effect dice in your pool on the defence
  • An effect dice to add a second target
  • An effect dice to mess someone up by adding a complication or a different type of stress

Or to sum up, a plot point before the roll just adds another dice to the pool. After the roll it just keeps another dice from the pool.

And for the seven step process, drop assets and resources until someone tries to create them. And it's "Run down your character sheet. One dice from each category if relevant. Then your opponent's stress and complication (if any)." Keep two.

And I'd be interested in Days of Future Past (and have only the haziest memories of that storyline).

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 23, 2013

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

So, still doing an initial read-through of the book, are some powers just flat-out better and more versatile than others? For example, if a given power can inflict Stress, do you need an Attack power?

Also, what kind of boundaries do you set on what people can do with Elemental Control powers, especially ones as vaguely defined as Darkforce and Cosmic Control?

You're looking at the game backwards - quite understandable because compared to most trad RPGs, Marvel Heroic is backwards.

Trad RPGs are generally prescriptive - that is the stats define the gameworld and what the characters can do. Strength 15 will lift X kilos.

Marvel Heroic and a lot of modern RPGs are descriptive - that is the purpose of the mechanics is to represent the effects within the fictional gameworld and to resolve conflicts when no one is sure about the actual result. And the limits on Darkforce or Cosmic Control are set by the fictional characters that are being represented within the gameworld.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Hm, this is what I get for looking at the game through the lens of the random datafile generator. I'm in the process of trying to sell the people I game with on less physics-engine gaming, and I wanted to be able to assure them that characters are balanced. (Hence my previous post; having a dozen ways to make a d8 dance on the head of a pin is just going to prompt them to say "What was wrong with rolling Strength+Brawl to punch the Joker in the face instead of all this 'narrative' crap?")

If all you're doing is punching Joker in the face as a low end brick you do roll Affiliation + Distinction + Strength + Fighting. You can use that as an example. Almost no harder.

On the other hand when Tony Stark has spent a round reprogramming the Iron Man suit to allow the Unibeam to unleash a big burst at the resonant frequency of the energy being he's fighting at the cost of shaking his armour apoart he's going to be rolling Team (d8) + Cutting Edge Tech (d8) + Superhuman Durability d12 (boosted) + Repulsors (d10 - Unibeam) + D6s equal to the number of bad guys (EMP + Tech Master d10 + Asset (Resonant Tuning) d10, and dumping a couple of plot points to get the roll to the point the effect dice exceeds d12. And if that doesn't work, or even if it does, he's going to need a lot of repairs to the Iron Man suit before it's properly functional again as he's just shut down both the superhuman strength and the entire weapons platform. Power at 2%. And with about 10 dice in the pool he might have cleared the skies, but he's handed you a lot of opportunities in the doom pool.

And the best thing about that Iron Man plan? You as Watcher don't need to lift a finger. And you know Iron Man's probably going to try to shut down the rest of the suit on the final bad guy because he's going for those 10 XP.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Thought I'd share the sheet I drew up for the Mandarin, who Dr. Strange is facing in Civil War. NO PEEKING, MALTOSE.

I'd say he's a fairly formidable opponent who definitely has the upper hand on his arch-enemy most of the time, although Civil War Tony is definitely a very dangerous opponent for him. Probably wouldn't beat Thor, but weird alien technology goes a long way in making you good at fighting. I also threw in some of his non-ring based abilities because he's not TOTALLY useless without them. He just becomes... like a lovely Iron Fist.

Honestly, my money's on Tony. For default Tony it's going to be close, and the Mandarin probably wins straight up melees. But Tony has the advantage of Plot Points vs Doom Pool, and has armour that's made of plot points - whereas the Mandarin is rolling 3 dice from powers rather than 2 on the defence. It's very very close and Tony shouldn't get away with his armour intact. (This is unless Mandarin one-shots him with the Disintegration Beam - d10 solo, d10 left hand, 2d12 right, and a skill dice is a nasty dice pool although hard to exploit unless the doom pool is already big)

For Civil War Tony, CW Tony is immune to physical stress (well, 1PP). He can absorb energy attacks - which is what the Mandarin does. It's a pretty bad combination for the Mandarin.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Quick, tell me how well Doctor Strange could hold up.

First action for Doctor Strange in anything other than a squash match is to create an asset. With Supreme Sorcery and Alliterative Invocations he should be able to create a d12 with no questions asked. Which makes him nigh-on invulnerable on the defence. (Seriously, Supreme Sorcery d12, Mystic Senses d12, and [Asset] d12 is more than many large scale threats get).

The odd thing about Strange is that he is so much stronger on the defence than the offence. Using Mystic Senses on the offence is hard, so is Teleport, and complications don't stack, so Supreme Sorcery isn't as good on the offence. Meaning that on the offence he's throwing a d10 from Disciple of the Ancient Lore and not necessarily that much from his Mystic Regalia.

Of course if you give him prep time he's got that d12 asset and a d10 mystic resource, and is looking at one-shot complicating Mandarin out with a dice pool of d10 (solo) + Distinction + d12 (sorcery to create an asset) + d10 (Teleport just behind the Mandarin before wrapping him in the Crimson Bands of Cytorak + d10 (Mystic Master) + d10 (Mystic Resource) + d12 [Asset] + 1d6 (Sfx) = 2d12 + 4d10 + 1d6 [Distinction] with the effect die automatically being stepped up once - and no plot points spent. Make one of those d12s an effect dice and this is a Save or Die attack - and the only d12 Mandarin gets at all is with the one shot disintegration ring.

Marvel Heroic IMO works much better when there are almost no d12s in the powersets.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

It's gone up to 16 on Amazon.com

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Morand posted:

Thanks to awesome goons I am now drowning in data sheets. My mission is to make The Captain a Mutant and fit into the 60's.

The Captain? Nextwave's The Captain? (I've actually an official datasheet for him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Morand posted:

Yes, and so do I thanks to awesome goons.

Enjoy! Nextwave are awesome - and just as awesome in RP. (I ran a Nextwave one-shot a few months back).

• Locked thread