Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Landerig posted:

Oh yeah, a 21" Trinitron. Desk buster is very appropriate.

I once lugged home a free 32" Sony Trinitron, by myself. (Free to anyone who could lift it) Beautiful picture but it sat for 3 weeks on my living room floor before I decided to just sell it. I mean I could have reinforced the TV stand with 4x4's, or maybe just built a new one out of reinforced concrete, but I decided to let it go to a new home, where it probably still sits like the living room monolith.

I'd have kept it just for the fun of gutting it out, putting an LCD of comparable size in the front, and converting the rest into a SFF PC to use. I'm sure those beasts had plenty of room to spare to fit a micro ATX board, power supply, and a few other goodies, then just cut out a couple decent size holes for fans and you're set.

kimbo305 posted:

There was a Yak-bak-like toy that was shaped like a hockey and had a telescoping megaphone on one end that you could pull out. Anyone remember what it was called?

Didn't see anyone mention it (sorry if I missed it) but I remember this exactly - the Mega Mouth Warp'r :) I still have one, I think I got it in junior high just to annoy people between classes. It had a little switch to change between regular and "robot" mode, and a dial to change the frequency of your voice between super low pitch and really high.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

They do a lot of jobs better than modern machines. Yeah, you can only make one or sometimes two kinds of stitch, but those things are beasts that will stand up to anything you can think of. The body is one solid piece of cast iron, and the moving parts are all forged and machined brass. Very slightly modernized versions, with an industrial motor replacing the treadle and flywheel, are still used in tons of factories today for ultra-heavy-duty assembly. Put on a good needle, and you can stitch together a pair of leather belts like there's nothing there.

Hell yes - my mom has one of these that was passed down to her from my great-grandmother, and it's still the best sewing machine she's ever used. Works great for its age too, my great-grandpa built a cherry cabinet for it with doors that swing open in front of the foot pedal, and the thing is loving heavy. I miss the days when stuff was built to last...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

This is really cool...wish they'd done an Elvis one on a pelvic X-Ray

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

RoleModel posted:

Holy poo poo, my family has those Spring Blossom Green plates too. I think we've had ours since the mid-late 80s and picked up a few extras at the church thrift store a few years ago. Those things are durable as gently caress.

My grandparents on my mom's side had the green set, I remember using them as a kid. I don't know if my grandma still has any left over, I think she sold them in a yard sale before moving from NY to NE to live with my parents.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Pull tabs that ended up tossed on the ground where you could cut bare feet, flat-sided steel or bimetal cans. And brown 7-Up labels, I don't even remember that. It looks so foreign now that I'm used to sculpted aluminum with stay-tabs.

I swear when I first scrolled past this image, I thought these were those old "dancing" soda cans you could get back in like the late 80s and early 90s. The top looks just like the pull tab tops here, which was odd since those types of tabs weren't in use when we actually bought the dancing cans.

:dance: :slick:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

JayKay posted:

I still use a Logitech trackball with my laptop if I'm on the couch or bed and don't have a decent mousing surface.

Edit: This one to be exact

These were pretty decent but the worst part is having to flip it over, take out 3 or 4 screws and basically pull it all apart just to clean the contacts for the trackball. Some other ones actually had a ring that twisted and snapped in place (just like old ball mice) so you could take the trackball out from the top side and clean it more easily. I still remember playing Doom and Quake with my friends online and owning them hard with the trackball once I got used to it :black101:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fozaldo posted:

Eh? You just pull the ball out and clean away. No screws or rings.

Weird, the one I had, I couldn't get the trackball out from the top - maybe it was the design or whatever, but I swear it was too snug and overlapped the edge of the trackball just enough to keep it from being popped out. No hole in the bottom to push it out either, maybe I can find the old beast buried somewhere and see if there was an easier trick to getting the ball out without dismantling the whole thing...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Nah...the scanner will just measure how far away the ring on your finger is from your rear end in a top hat.

But...what if you aren't married? :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

SG-83 posted:

Playing WC2 on my Pentium 90 was...an experience. :suicide:

I remember playing Quake 2 on an old rear end Acer Pentium 100Mhz box back in the mid-90s, all of 4MB of EDO RAM and no dedicated video card. I think I played it in a 320x240 window because anything higher res than that ran literally like a slideshow

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

HardCoil posted:

He probably has the screen on permanently as you do with at dedicated GPS. That drains the battery faster than it charges on mine too :(

Another thing I found out at work that'll kill a battery, especially on smartphones - if you have e-mail set up, send a message to someone, and it gets stuck in the outbox, the constant attempts at sending/receiving will drain the battery ridiculously fast. Had a lady at my job who has an iPhone and the battery kept dying within 2-3 hours, and that was the culprit - once the message was deleted, her battery went back to normal.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Zemyla posted:

Remember how wireless remote controlled cars had two frequencies, 27 MHz and 49 MHz, and you had to get two of them with different frequencies if you had two kids?

I'm glad I only had one sibling; I wonder what would have happened if we'd needed three of them, besides violence.

My second oldest brother and I had RC cars with the same frequency, we'd always gently caress with each other when the other was playing with their car. I'd see him out in the driveway playing with his car, and since my room was in front of the house, I could sit by my window and control it while being out of sight. All in good fun though :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Nostrum posted:

I can see how putting the pins on the motherboard is a good idea, until you bend one of them. I'll take pins on the CPU case ANY day when it comes to un-bending those loving pin/pads on the motherboard. Oh, and they're super fragile too! Since they don't stick straight up, just trying to figure out exactly which one is bent is a nightmare.

That's my only gripe about pinless CPUs - with a bent pin on a processor, usually a razor between the pins or a mechanical pencil can bend it back straight easily. On a motherboard, not so much, especially when you consider how easy it would be to gently caress up the board. Speaking of that, anyone else glad that most CPU coolers don't have to be mounted with screwdriver pressure any more? These big fuckers were a pain and I was always afraid of gouging my board if I slipped:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I went straight from a Riva TNT to a Geforce Ti4200 128MB, which was one hell of leap.

I upgraded my dad's PC when I bought a new video card - he went from a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP to my old GeForce 3 ti500 and was blown away at how much faster it ran. Plus it didn't need an additional molex for power, I remember him flying around in Freespace and tearing poo poo up in Mechwarrior games like he'd just played them again for the first time :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I wanna see how modern that thing can be pushed. Like, what's the most recently released game that could be played on it.

My dad had a similar system in the early 2000s and if his experience is any indicator, any games more intense than say, Everquest or Quake 3 ran like dogshit. I had an old Voodoo5 5500 PCI card in a Celeron 533Mhz system at one time, it played games of the time at great framerates but once others even like HL2 or Doom 3 came out, it was like playing a slideshow.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

Lots of stuff that isn't for the consumer market looks like rear end. Here's a website that provides radio broadcast technology to large portions of Canada: http://www.oakwoodbroadcast.com/specials.asp

I wouldn't say it looks like rear end necessarily, it's just super basic - which is kind of nice, especially when you don't want to dig through a bunch of garbage looking for something you need right away. I wish more tech sites were like that and made it easier to navigate and find stuff.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't seen a residential or commercial fusebox in a long time. I'm wondering how common they still are. Everything I've worked with since the 1990s has been circuit breakers.

From way back in the thread while perusing the nostalgia machine - but at my old job I had a client in the middle of BFE in an old building that still had these things installed. They were literally in a town of a couple thousand people and it was a pharmacy/home care store that was converted from a really, really old dilapidated building. Basement ceilings were maybe 7' high tops and everything was so rickety I was afraid I'd fall through the stairs if I stepped down too hard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Buttcoins for their entire history were hilarious partly because the price was artificially inflated by people loving with the market. The completely deregulated nature of them led to literally every single thing that regulation prevents from happening happening in massive amounts. They're worthless now because the people manipulating the market all cashed out. It was basically a pyramid scheme; early adopters and those that really knew what was up made a lot of money. Almost everybody else got hosed.

Dude I worked with got caught up in this and ended up losing thousands - took a break for a bit, then when things started looking "positive" again he went back to mining and got hosed AGAIN. His expression was pretty funny when someone asked why he was "investing in the Amway of digital currency" - sad part was he'd spent a ton of money on a quad Crossfire setup at the time and had run up a shitload on electricity bills doing his mining.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Star Man posted:

Here's the thing that sucks about streaming media or downloading software, legit or not: when you have no connection, it's fuckin useless. Especially when you've already downloaded the media you want to use and it still requires a connection. I took my PS3 with me to a friend's ranch last Christmas and half the things we wanted to play required an Internet connection because they were things I got for free as a Playstation Plus member or were downloaded games that for some fuckin reason needed it. I can only imagine how long it takes for them to download a several gigabyte game over their satellite connection. I'm sure that it takes them less time to drive the 45 minutes to town, stop at Gamestop or Walmart, do their other errands or eat, and come back.

In a case like this, would it be possible to download the software on a PC with a faster connection, save to USB/disc and bring it to the person you're fixing? Not sure how something like that might work with say, Windows 10, but it's at least an alternative to downloading several gigs of data on a crappy satellite, DSL or dial-up connection. I can't see any company going away from physical media of some kind though, even a good chunk of Dell laptops I've had at work (sans optical drive) have been shipped with an 8GB USB that has the OS and drivers pre-loaded on it.

Coffee And Pie posted:

On the topic of CDs, with the advent of bluetooth-enabled MP3 players, the big chunky stereos that only had radio, cassette, and sometimes CD are a thing of the past. I found this one (not my picture) at a Goodwill today, probably the height of tacky-looking stereos.

This is rad as hell

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

It's one of those things you don't notice until you do and then it drives you nuts. People call up at my CJ job complaining about slowness and it's always because Windows is failing to route properly and using the wireless connection over the wired. 300KB/s sounds like enough until those collective seconds start to add up. Hell even Nintendo told everyone playing their online games "Go buy an ethernet adapter for $20" because that extra little bit of delay just will make you twitch once you notice it. Not to mention when wireless just plain fails because of reasons.

This could potentially solve that problem, I've done it more than once for clients in environments that have both wired/wireless but move around a lot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2526067

So far it's worked great - if they're docked or using wired ethernet most of the time, set that adapter to first priority, and set wireless to second. When they undock it'll auto-switch and vice versa, haven't seen an issue (so far).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

I came across a while ago and sent it up the line. They did as much to everyone's computers and it kinda solved it but sometimes it still get stuck on the wireless. It happens a lot less in windows 7 than it did in XP. Guessing it has something to do with our network topology at this point? :shrug: I tried either way

All good, at least it somewhat worked :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fyadophobic posted:

I'm not proud of it, but I was using VHS tapes to record TV programs up till about 2009 or so, until the VHS player broke. Now I just have 2 big boxes full of tapes I can't get rid of because some of them have family home movies on them and almost none of them are labelled...

Hit up a pawn shop, get a cheap working VCR, and use something like this to transfer/re-encode on your PC: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/transfer-vhs-tapes-to-your-computer/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Nope. Regardless of if I'm calling from a cell phone or a land line, if the prefix of the number is "local" (i.e. it shows up as a number from this city), I just dial the 7-digit phone number. If I am calling a number from a different city, I have to add the area code. I do live in one of the few states that only has 1 area code--I don't know if that makes the difference.

Had this happen a couple years back in Nebraska when they put in a new area code prefix - even locally I have to dial an area code, places more than 45 minutes away require 1+area code even if the area code is the same

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Arrath posted:

You guys have young coins. When I worked at a gas station I'd routinely get buffalo nickles, wheat back pennies, all kinds of neat old coins.

Hell yeah, old coins rule - I have an old Mercury head dime I got out of a vending machine like 15 years ago. Real silver and even circulated at the time it was worth like $100 or so.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Computers used to be primarily business equipment and hence had inoffensive color schemes similar to lab equipment.

I think this is primarily it - and as much as I hate to say, I think Apple started getting people away from the usual boring beige/white cases when they started doing the multi-colored iMacs. At the time it was like 90s as gently caress and I thought it was dumb as hell, but it wasn't long after that it seemed like more colors and sizes became mainstream with computer cases. I will say I don't miss lugging around those old-rear end heavy steel towers and was SO happy when cases became more lightweight while keeping sturdy and roomy, an old Enermax full tower case I used to have weighed like 25 pounds with nothing in it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aside from storage, there are usability advantages to ripping a CD or DVD. You can put the files anywhere you want, make your own playlists, ignore lenghty animated menus and forced trailers...

Books, not so much. You take a printed book from the shelf and there's your content right there. Digital text has a huge storage and searchability advantage, but suddenly you have a (comparatively) whole lot of poo poo between you and the content.

Pretty much this - it'd be like going to the library and before you can enter, you have to wade through a mob of people trying to sell you random poo poo or talk your ear off about something you don't care about.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

I've always wanted to put a modern machine into an F1XD, entirely so that I could drive a pair of VR goggles as a display and show up to ren faires as a confused console jockey.

I get the same way as you with old electronics, I love to think about how they could be repurposed. Still wish I'd been able to snag my grandma's big gently caress-off wooden console TV that weighed like 300 pounds, would've been cool to gut it out, replace the aging TV and other electronics while keeping the old-school look.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Last Chance posted:

And they were all poo poo.

Agree with this, some of the first gen I worked with were quick at first but didn't have much for drive space or memory, and the CPU would get really hot in that tiny chassis. When they say "netbook" they really mean "yep, this is good enough to browse the web and maybe run a couple programs, anything more will slow it to a crawl or lock it up tighter than a nun's butthole"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The C2D processors were certainly hot and power hungry compared to Broadwell or Skylake but I don't think AMD was at any point after the P4 era any better. Dunno about that chipset but that was probably the problem. Source: I still have a C2D ThinkPad T61 around, it's fine.

:hfive: I still have one of these too, snagged it years ago when an old IT job was recycling a bunch of equipment. Boss basically said "if it works, go ahead and take it" mainly because the company was paying a recycler to take it, and the more stuff you have, the more it costs. Those T61 laptops were goddamn tanks, only thing I've done is upgraded the RAM and HDD and opened it all up to clean it and re-paste the CPU. Still runs like a champ after all this time and looks nearly new :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fo3 posted:

What's wrong with yours?
I'm using a dell from 2007 with a c2d t7800 and nvidia 8600m. Been a good laptop pc for all these years.
Only time I had problems with heat is when linux mint cinnimon goes crazy with cpu usage for some dumb reason, or lots of video watching on 35 c degrees summer day. Most of the time the fan is barely circulating air.

As long as it's not one of the old Dell Latitude 600 series laptops with the Quadro GPU - I still remember my previous IT job ordering a bunch new and finding out the hard way about the inadequate graphics chip cooling. Dell made a new heatpipe cooler after so many complaints but parts of the laptop were literally melting from excess GPU heat, I want to say it was near the upper right corner of the touchpad. That's what happens though when Dell thinks a tiny sliver of metal covered with a cheap foam cooling pad is going to keep a gently caress-off hot GPU cooled off :downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Putting my chips on Amstrad of some kind

Same here, quick Google search led me to Amstrad CPC, there are a couple models that look near identical to what's behind Wex

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

WeX Majors posted:

More specifically, the Research Teleray 10 model. Here's one in the 80's favorite color

For people who might have been upset at me trying to learn something, I hereby gift the thread with a link to a copy of the August issue of ComputerWorld
https://books.google.com/books?id=Z4s8fil_zIIC&pg=PA64#v=onepage&q&f=false

Wanna paint this like the General Lee and have it boot up with a MIDI of "Good Old Boys"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude that explains why all the cars in FM2 wouldn't roll or flip even if it was a head on collision at 230 mph.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard - it'd be like having a FPS game with ragdoll physics, and a company says "yeah, that's great but the main character is invincible and can never fall down"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Funzo posted:

A co-worker and I were talking about old Apple computers today, and I was reminded of ads I used to see in computer magazines for Apple //e hard drives. Specifically, one that replaced the power supply with a PSU/hard drive. I think they had 10 or 20 MB capacity. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quick search pointed me to the Vulcan Gold or Pegasus 100i, looks like what you're talking about (based on the description anyhow):

apple2history posted:

Several internal hard drives were marketed for the Apple IIGS in the 1990s. Applied Engineering sold the Vulcan Gold, which was not only a hard drive but also a replacement power supply for the IIGS. It was sold in 20, 40, 100 (which cost $1795), and 200 MB sizes, and attached to a proprietary 16-bit AT style controller card to plug into the motherboard. It worked with GS/OS, ProDOS 8, DOS 3.3, CP/M, and Pascal, and would allow up to sixteen partitions on a disk (though only four could be available at one time).

Also sold with a replacement power supply for the IIGS was the Pegasus 100i, sold by Econ Technologies. This was a SCSI drive, and was more affordable at $599. It offered a nice feature allowing the user to set a jumper wire that would delay startup of the IIGS until the drive was ready.

http://apple2history.org/history/ah09/
https://archive.org/details/1992-04-appliedengineering-vulcangold

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Imagined posted:

There won't ever be again. In fact, this is quite possibly the last generation of traditional gaming consoles as we've known them.

The closest thing now will be the evolution of things like the Occulus Rift which have big room for improvement.

I still remember the mall nearby having some old VR game in the arcade in the 90s - graphics that were blocky, a big platform to stand in with a helmet, and the choppy gameplay. Now just shy of 20 years later we have all that with better realism, smaller and more powerful hardware, and more game variety. And compared to then, you don't have to take out a second mortgage to afford it - poo poo blows my mind.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Trabant posted:

And some "oh, just casually holding up my heavy-rear end stereo equipment" ads:

Absolutely no chance they didn't green screen a forklift out of this picture

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

When the 90s CD-Player Fairy visited me, she took my head unit and disc 2 of that bomb rear end Led Zeppelin box set with the crop circles on the front, and left my faceplate. It was fun finding a new window at a junkyard on highschool fast food pay as my present.

I hate that poo poo - back in high school I had a beater 92 Sunbird, did some minor cleaning/polishing and tossed a set of super cheap K-mart special hubcaps on it. A month later, me, my friend and our girlfriends went to a late movie together in my car, and when we came out all my hubcaps were gone. Nothing else broken into, nothing else damaged or tampered with, and the new stereo I'd just installed was still neatly tucked in its place. It was in a super nice part of town too, the combination of events just had all of us like "..really?"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

At hostpital lost fingat post mote later

...is what I would be saying if I was playing with C4 and not C64. :v: I promised pics and here they are: (huge phone pic warning)

I am not a professional photographer, to say the least.
That thing cut off in the lower right corner is another two floppy drives, and not in the picture are another two dot matrix printers, three cases full of floppies and various power supplies. All for 100 bucks!

E: oh yeah, and a busted CRT monitor.

In addition to disinfectant wipes, I've used a little bleach and cleaning solution on old, grimy yellow cases. I fixed up and re-sold my uncle's old PC that he said "kept shutting off" (chain smoker, had the PC for 3-4 years, never cleaned up after himself), that thing was the worst. He smoked so much weed and cigarettes that there was build-up in the fans, preventing them spinning at all. Bleach, alcohol, a toothbrush and a few hours later, drat thing looked and ran like brand loving new. Bought a new CPU fan, new chipset fan/heatsinks, put in a bigger hard drive and sold it for a couple hundred bucks. Mr. Clean eraser pads work pretty well too, a little bleach/water mix and one of those sponges and the grime just wipes away with almost no effort.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

The Blackbird has two toggle switches. They are labeled "Are you ready to rock?" (flip to "Yeah") and "I SAID, ARE YOU READY TO ROCK??" (Flip to "HELL YEAH")

The Stone Cold SR-71 - I just picture a toggle switch with Austin's angry, glaring face, waiting for someone to press to initiate. Then a loudspeaker blaring "BLACKBIRD 3:16 SAYS I'M TAKING YER rear end TO THE TROPOSPHERE" *panel opens up, 6 pack of cold beer drops into pilot's lap*

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: PYF obsolete and failed technology - "And on the Seventh Day, Machine pressed Stop"

The Machine said to her, "I am the ecstasy and the rave. He who believes in me will dance, even though he pauses; and whoever dances and believes in me will never pause. Do you believe this?"
"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the DJ, the Son of Beats, who was to come into our ears." And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary, and they twerked violently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Please be considerate and include 56k no in your subject lines.

I think the new 56k warning should be about people on cell phones using a data plan instead. That's where I've heard the most complaints about large images or GIFs in recent memory.