Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WebDog posted:

5's were kinda cool for re-purposing into CD slips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Aleph Null posted:

I have an HP laptop with a Blu-ray drive. I can't watch DVDs or Blu-rays while the WiFi is active. The drive gradually churns more and more until I am watching the movie in 1 second chunks every 5 seconds. Turn on Airplane Mode? Problem disappears.
Support eventually just stopped responding to me.
I have no answer as to why my wireless adapter just turns itself off and needs to be reset all the time, and I think I never will.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lurkman posted:

There aren't rose-tinted lenses thick enough to make me look back at the Sierra games with any fondness.
I'd give anything to play some Mixed-Up Mother Goose.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Of course I tend to just use Pandora off my phone connected to my car via Bluetooth.
Pandora is pretty obsolete and belongs in this thread. I have no idea why people still use it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pandora is just absolutely terrible, its interface, its ads, its selection. There's a whole lot of other services that do the same thing better. Not obscure services and not better in an "install linux" way. Spotify's radio is better and it's not a product that's unknown. Pandora can't go away fast enough.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Good news! Pneumatic tubes are making a comeback.
So many things could be delivered with pneumatic tubes! Whole fish, pairs of glasses, cell phone batteries, burritos, souvenir replicas of the Empire State Building, t shirts, toothpaste!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There was a machine in one arcade on the boardwalk in Ocean City, New Jersey, that was very old when I encountered it early in the last decade. You put your hands on it and it printed out a punch card with all sorts of details about your fortune. I loved the old thick punch cards with such *scientific* fortunes on them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think it was that specific one, but it definitely had the hand outline.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Delaware has one area code for the whole state, and it's not in the middle of nowhere or sparsely populated. I mean people per square mile, not total amount of them. Plenty of Delaware signage/ads for businesses just list seven digits for the number.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Anyone know what's up with the wiring in my apartment in a very old building? The power went "out" the other day. Three outlets worked in the kitchen, two didn't. No other outlets anywhere in the apartment provided electricity. However, the ceiling lights in every room were okay. It was very strange.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It was out in the building, too. Wasn't just my place. The downstairs is a hair salon and an apartment, then there's two units on the second floor, and one on the third. I believe the hair salon had no power anywhere and all the apartments had some odd mixture of working and non-working outlets like mine. The hall lights weren't working. The landlord was called and it was fixed, somehow. I just thought it was odd that ceiling lights worked in rooms where the outlets did not and such an odd few outlets worked.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I bet there aren't any PC games that come with companion novellas these days.

Of course, the only one that I can think of that ever did was Stonekeep, which was and is amazing and hugely underrated. The novella was garbage but I appreciate the effort.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Isn't having everything in the cloud a return to the days of terminals?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My father bought a complete Panasonic system. It was c. 1976 and he paid about $350, I think. I'm still using it. It has a record player/radio/8-track player, two speakers and a tape deck. The radio antenna doesn't even need to be set up properly to pick up a huge amount of stations.

My grandparents had a console-based record player and 8-track player. There may be more to it. It's massive and when they quit using it for music, it became a table to hold all the family photos.

It looks something like this.

An apartment a friend lived in had one of those wooden consoles modified so it had some new speakers and a regular cable coming out of its guts so you could plug in your device. Just using the old cabinet in a new way. It was very cool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Computer viking posted:

IIRC soylent claims to have more nutrients and get less of its energy from plain sugar. I haven't checked if that's true, since I'm neither able to nor interested in actually buying it.

Soylent has a certain quality to it that other products do not, something that can only be ascribed to the right type of marketing to a specific kind of dumbass.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is "more knobs = better than" ever going to come back as a design aesthetic?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm totally going to be a lovely old man who makes younger people listen to Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park on their future whatever device and then says "Yeah, I know it sounds like garbage, that's because you have to listen to it on the original compact disc to get the real experience."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

0toShifty posted:

The house I live in near Philadelphia was originally built with gas lighting and coal fired steam heat. The coal was replaced by an oil burner. Electricity was added in the 1910s, in the 1970s, there were gas stoves added to the kitchens. There was a gas dryer at one point, but it's electric now. Plumbing wasn't original of course, hot water was oil fired, but converted to natural gas last year.

The knob and tube wiring uses the old gas pipes as the neutral in some spots. The circuits are ring circuits in some places.

Imagine living in a house not designed for modern rooms like bathrooms or kitchens. Sure there were kitchens but not like today. My bathroom was the stairs to the cellar at one point.

Kitchens were usually lean-tos built on the side of houses so they could catch on fire and not hurt anything and be rebuilt easily.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A bar full of horrible 23 year olds today has more computing power than the NASA control center during the Moon landings. Like, a lot more.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Someone who is good at design should invent a bulky physical object that just has some flash memory inside and a proprietary plug. Something that you can cover with good "album art", partially made of wood, that's a pain to carry around but not that much of a pain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Computer viking posted:

I'm thinking NES cartridge in nicer materials?

Its shape could be reminiscent of an NES cartridge, in a subtle way that appeals to the lizard brain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why did the switches with the knob you push in die out?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This thread and other parts of the internet convinced me that Windows 10 is best avoided. My ancient laptop kicked the bucket a few months ago, and I've just been using phone and tablet since.

Yesterday, I ordered this bargain basement laptop. No Windows 10! There are few choices out there to avoid the thing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...sional/47085644

The same computer cost $1200 five years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Or you could just buy any laptop and reinstall Win7 on it.

There was also the cheap factor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

evobatman posted:

That's my computer at work. Slap an SSD in it, and it runs really well. Windows 10 also runs well on it.

It's definitely obsolete technology, but seems like it will do for my purposes (writing stuff, playing games from the 90's and early 2000's).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

So what's your plan for when Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and your computer gets dragged into a botnet?

Is that really going to happen?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I honestly think I went with one of the best under-$250 options. Have to think of availability and such when you're talking about the possibilities. Also, again, avoided the terrible-sounding Windows 10.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Jul 3, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Or anyone who can't spring for premium laptops and buys the $199 walmart special

which is basically everyone except inexplicably college students

Yeah I would love a fancy super laptop with all the clangiest bells and screechiest whistles that would cost me around $2000, but I simply don't have the money. My last $200-$250 Walmart laptop lasted me 5 years, it mostly did the job, and I'm hoping the one I just bought does the same thing for the same length of time.

Also I probably don't really need that Cadillac laptop, and neither do most people. I'll agree with that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

I work at a combination e-waste recycler and computer repair shop; we refurbish laptops and sell them with a 90-day warranty and a legal copy of Windows 7 or 10. $250 will buy you a decent, 5- or 6-year-old business laptop that will work better, be more pleasant to use, and be much less likely to fail than a $200 Walmart Chinese Plastic Special.

That's exactly what I'm buying! A decent, refurbished, 5 year old business laptop. Did Walmart do something to you?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You all do recognize that my laptop is being delivered to me in a box, right? Whatever website I use, I'm getting a cardboard box. Also there's no "WALMART LAPTOP FACTORY" somewhere next to the "NORMAL LAPTOP FACTORY". Walmart runs an online store. They have good deals there, usually things are cheaper than Amazon or elsewhere. Buying something from them doesn't give you some sort of ritual pollution.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A LOT of shops do that so they have something to shove out the door on Black Friday or for other radical market segmentation reasons or to confound price comparisons or any of a hundred other client-hostile reasons.

Always check the entire model number, and if they won't let you, you walk. Hell, check the serial number if they'll let you.

Those bait and switch crap electronics are everywhere, yes. Avoiding them is just a normal part of shopping.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I write the amount of money, the date, the payee, and my signature on a standard little form, and I can get things for it. It's like having your own special currency. Have you ever paid for an actual physical good with a check? Not rent, or a bill, or some crap like that. It's great! It feels like getting away with something. You know how many times you have to write that much information on a little form and sign it in your life and you get nothing tangible in return?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Humphreys posted:

So you're that rear end in a top hat causing the line up at the checkout?

If you start writing the check while you're being rung up, it doesn't take any longer to get out of there than a chip card. You're probably sour on this from old people writing checks which takes forever because it takes old people forever to do anything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

blugu64 posted:

100%. Here let me write my name on this piece of paper, give me dinner please.

This is the actual joy of checks. Not paying your rent or any such thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Once we get to a point where everything is easy, those kind of printers will come back simply for their novelty. I am looking forward to it.

Think how we had a race towards better and better game graphics and now pixel art and Minecraft are a thing. Give it time, ridiculous dot-matrix printers will be back. They add gravity to a situation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm having fun trying to guess which three states are too backwards to have that law.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I struck out.

Correct answer: Illinois, New York, Washington

I called New York!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I would love my Nexus 6P way more if its touchscreen had a corresponding physical keyboard the size of the screen, hinged at one side, with both pieces snapping together. That could even be an option, you could have your regular smartphone with or without the keyboard half.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

treiz01 posted:

Agreed. There exists a 4 hour cut of the three movies that condenses them down to just what came from the original book - the Tolkien edit. It's an improvement.

They took all the heart out of the book and tried to make it a fantasy epic. Which is what the LOTR books are, an epic saga written as an epic saga. They tried their level best to make a financially successful movie in the mold of movies that had already been financially successful, source material be damned. Peter Jackson did the best job he could with the job he was given. He was a hired gun with a mission.

This is a strange derail in the thread that is all about pictures of old cell phones, monitors, and forgotten electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ahh, a 300-pound television with a v-chip. Those truly were the good old days.