Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

aardwolf posted:

IIRC, there are hilariously bad dubs of the line for both Die Hard 1 and 2, so you might both be right.

fwiw "Live Free or Die Hard" which I think is 4? Is a much better movie with the censored track compared to the later released "uncut" version, though I'm not sure if they actually did a redub there or just shot the scenes twice?

In the theatrical censored release during the tunnel set piece, after he drives a car off a ramp to blow up a helecopter the kid says:

"You killed a helecopter with a car"

And McClain just does a guttural: "Ran outta bullets," pretty decent line!

In the uncut version, he does an extended bit about "there are millions of traffic accidents in the US every day, this is just one more" and it completely misses the point

That movie is both terrible and I love it for being so incredibly far over the top that it's almost a parody of itself. Real shame they didn't keep following that energy for the 5th movie which is just irredeemable garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I am insanely jealous, though realistically while I loved it in the arcade I imagine I'd get kinda sick of it playing it all the time..

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My TI-83+ got me into programming, which is probably the most useful thing I learned in middle school considering I've got a computer toucher job.

Man the games I made were so terrible, I wish it hadn't died so I could dig them up and save them :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

I see the Duke Nukem Forever collector’s edition, even turned facing in. You can’t hide your shame from me!

I bought a copy of duke nukem forever off of gamefly way back when because it was like $2.50 to own a historical trainwreck and they shipped me multiple copies lol

Guess they really need to get rid of them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You don't get a choice on what you work on...

gently caress Glover and H.E.D.Z until the end of time!

Fair point, it explains why there aren't more barbie games and a glover sequel

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fun Fact!
When we were testing our in-house bug-tracking software, the Test Project was named Glover vs. Predator. Somewhere in Baltimore Maryland is the game box we presented to our lead coder when it was completed.

You know, you see people say fun fact, but it's rare that it's actually fun. That's awesome :allears:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That series is still so good :allears:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I miss game genies and game sharks

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I had a RAZR with a sweet dragon on it, the peak of my coolness...

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I miss when guides were more of a companion to look at when you are stuck and not just the crap these days where it's just "go here, open this door, punch in 3048 at the code pad, walk forward 3 squares, left 2 squares, forward 4 squares" Ok, but where did you get this information? I hate when I find a puzzle in a game and I just want to know where in the game I can find the hint that says how to solve it. Instead the guide sends you directly to the puzzle and gives the solution.

Or god help you if you get stuck part way through and want to check a guide that turns out to be written like this

They'll give no frame of reference for anything, so you can't figure out if you're in the right place without going all the way back to the start of wherever you are and following it to the letter.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Was that something along the lines of, there was a book published that was supposed to be a real life treasure hunt with an almost literal pot of gold at the end; it was quite successful and someone ended up winning; then some grifter decided to make his own version to ride the coattails of the first and created basically what you described?

There were a few of these style things I think, speaking of obsolete stuff. There was one where it was a big ARG and you bought packs of trading cards that had puzzles. They actually had a staff of people playing the characters online and did live events as well with live real time puzzling action.

It was called perplex city I think? Iirc the whole thing was to find a cube buried somewhere in the world, and it was a 50k pound prize, or something like that? It was probably over a decade ago now, but I was really into reading about it when it was going on

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dobbymoodge posted:

Sorry about your Mom's pants

:mods:

Sorry for your loss, and man that picture is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

namlosh posted:

re: virtually running old machines

my mom loved the screen saver called Jonny Castaway
It obviously doesn't run on anything modern

I found online instructions to get it working:
The .scr file brings up a DOS VM and runs it in that full screen and has hooks to quit and change the resolution back when it's done. I can't believe it all works, but it does and has been solid for 3 years now and she loves it.

woah, I've never heard of this one but that's really cool

I sorta miss the days of cool screen savers. Nowadays I just have my monitor turn off instead of going to a screensaver