Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

We never really had conventions in the small town I grew up in. But drat the local LAN parties at the college were a feast for the eyes of a 10yo me with a lovely P75.

Also, I remember when this awesome stick came out:

The dislapy unit in the local game store had a row of buttons to emulate certain types of feedback. Boggled my mind, and I haven't used anything equal to it since (well I never did buy a stick, and control pads just rumble - so it's an uninformed statement).

This joystick (the force feedback and the non-force feedback one) were really bad about building up a static charge with that huge metal base and then ceasing to function until you discharged it somehow. I remember having one that refused to work when I tried to use it with all my computers at the time. I thought it was junked until I read a support thread for it on the Microsoft forums where someone suggested letting it sit on a folded towel overnight. Sure enough, it worked fine the next day and that's what I have to do every time I want to use it after getting it out of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

:master: Wow, that was awesome; I'm surprised I've never heard of this before.

Edit: Fixed the link because I'm dumb.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Dec 19, 2014

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's not too out there, older houses were built with holes in the bathroom walls to put used razor blades, and the hole just went into the wall, so if you opened up the wall, you'd just find a pile of ancient razors.

Every time I read this poo poo I have to go and re-verify it for myself because I always think it's just one of those "boy things sure were crazy in the 50s" kind of things. I know it's true but I don't want to admit that there's a good chance that there's just a tetanus landfill in millions of houses because no one could think of a better way than to just shove blades in the wall like some kind of rodent.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Mar 14, 2015

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Krakox posted:

Anyone ever have one of those gamepark 32xs? The dinky Linux game handhelds from early thousands? I bet those count as obsolete

I still have mine but it's a model from about 2008-2010 and boot it up sometimes. I've used the poo poo out of it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I've been considering getting an amateur radio license lately, and I can't honestly understand why because it seems like such a pointless and outdated thing these days that just ends up costing a lot of money (to build a station) and then gathering dust, but for some reason I still want to.

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago because this old 70 year old guy at work heard I was interested in it and was really enthusiastic and encouraged me to get certified and get a radio setup. We were probably out of touch (I was about 24 at the time) in every other way but it was really :unsmith: that he was so eager to talk about it. I ended up getting a radio and antenna and intended to get the basic certification but never did and sold it to the guy and felt bad about it. :smith:

Our local amateur radio club is less than a dozen and the vast vast majority of them are in their 60s+ and the others are pushing 50 themselves. I'd hate for HAM use to die with them.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I think I showed a few pictures in this thread (or maybe the other tech relics thread, who knows) but QSL cards are a pretty sweet perk of ham radio, my dad has a bunch from some crazy spots, like countries that don't exist anymore, anthropology students literally setting up an antenna in the middle of the veldt, Guantanamo Bay, Antarctica, etc.

I always wanted to collect QSL cards and do the cliche pins on a map connected by thread of all my contacts cliche thing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Thanks to whoever pointed out bigclive and Techmoan's Youtube channels in this thread.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The constant desire for brighter flashlights than needed for general use is really stupid. I should know because I fell down that rabbit hole myself a few years ago and have a drawer of them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

blugu64 posted:

My dad and I constantly compare the power, brightness, and features of our latest flashlights. It’s how we bond.

My dad and I have literally had long conversations revolving around flashlights. Advertised brightness is a ploy by Big Lumen

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Feb 3, 2018

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

After some horrible experiences with a washing machine with a faulty inlet valve and walking into a flooded utility room and soaked carpet in the nearby room, I don't think I'd EVER want one to start washing when I wasn't at home. Then again, all I've ever had was the cheapest-rear end washing machines.

Even after replacing the inlet valve, I bought an overflow pan to put under the washer and a water-sensing alarm because cleanup even with my shop-vac was a pain in the rear end. I had to do that twice and never wanted to do it again. The new valve, pan, and alarm were probably not far off from the price of a new cheap-rear end washer.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

To receive your crushed ice, you must kill me, John Romero.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dusting is the biggest con in human history.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

hell yeah, growing up, my folks had a slick 80s plastic-and-faux-leather version of the same thing- looked different, same mechanism, mostly got busted out for christmas cards

you had to write new addresses in with gaps between em, in case someone changed address and you needed room

putting an entry right below another was an assurance that the person above was probably staying at the same address for a while

e: starting to remember why I was so stoked about getting one of these in the late 90s:

I remember when they started making these personal organizer devices that could communicate with each other via IR or RF. ( I dont' remember which) I wanted one SO BAD so I could talk to the friends I didn't have in class.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

I wanted the model that had a little microphone and speaker on the back, that you could hold up to any phone, dial their number, and sync email/articles

:aaaaa:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Cross posting from the Tech Relics thread:

Haven't seen this mentioned in a while. The DeathStar HDD that failed so hard that it would lathe the magnetic coating off the platters:

https://www.astro.ufl.edu/~ken/crash/index.html

This is from 2003. Are personal pages at universities archived forever?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

You're complaining about this in the obsolete technology thread? :confuoot:

I think it's always good to come across an old fashioned page that's just text and images. No javascript and tracking crap and advertisements or any of that horseshit.

That's real obsolete and failed technology in this day and age, pages that aren't loaded down with as much bullshit as possible so someone can make a buck.

Edit: Anything that still exists on the "live internet" and doesn't have to be dug up at archive.org is always a good thing, I think.

Not complaining at all! Just curious as I have seen so many of them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah I bought one in High School and it was pretty immediately obvious that I was like five or six years too old for it

got way more hacky fun out of my TI calculators anyway, even tho their only comms was (and still is iirc) a 2.5mm jack- USB adapters these days, but serial back in ye day

I spent a ton of time on ticalc.org, downloading and making lovely games.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What were those devices that you put your credit card on it at store register a long rear end time agos? It was kind of like a mandolin slicer. I think it may have just ran a wheel of ink across some paper that rested on top of your card, making a paper copy sort of like making a rubbing of something with paper and the side of a pencil lead.

They went away long before I was using credit/debit card and I don't think I ever knew what exactly they did or what they were called.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Jun 25, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

=That's why the name and numbers are raised .

Wow, I''ve always wondered why they were raised and never put it together.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

uli2000 posted:

Another bank at the time, Bank of America, iirc, used to issue mini debit cards that you could put on your keychain that, since they were a strange size, were a pain in the rear end to use anywhere, and they wouldn't go into atms and stuff you had to put the whole card into, and they would break off and fall off of your keys.

What the hell? This sounds like the dumbest idea.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Personally, I was/am a big fan of the trend of translucent plastic so you could see the circuitry. Friend had a phone like this where the plastic was super clear and a light that flashed when it rang that I was jealous of.

Found a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyxek51WVCU

It was like this but was a newer model made in the 90s because I'm pretty sure it didn't have a neon in it.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jul 29, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Transparent plastic so you can see circuitry: :yeah:
Transparent displays like minority report: :fuckoff:

-- me, age now

Zopotantor posted:

In the early nineties I worked on CAD software at HP. Practically all of HP's MEs used our products, because they were "sold" internally at much less than what they retailed for. The application I co-developed was the first of these that supported freeform surfaces. A short time later, HP products (especially the printers) started to look sort of melted...

I'm sorry.
Jesus Christ, the 'tude is coming from inside the thread!

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jul 29, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I still haven't figured out how they were supposed to read that clear paper in Babylon 5.

Never watched it. By clear paper do you mean basically transparencies?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's beautiful.

When I first saw it, I was wondering how you were supposed to scan paper on top. Then I remembered that's back when not every printer had a scanner.

Reminds me of the first scanner I had. It was a Mustek LPT scanner from 1996-1997 that was a gigantic piece of poo poo. I bought it to scan pictures of my childhood dog to save on my computer. She had just gotten hit by a car and killed and I could never get it to work. :smith:

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Jul 29, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I bet that melted printer would better contour to your arm if you needed to lug it to someone's house a couple miles away in a hurry.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just how much grime got in those sliding and rotating keyboards on those phones?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

stevewm posted:

My ancient old Vizio 32" LCD TV (Circa 2006?) crashes if you push Right arrow button on the remote OR front panel buttons more than 2 times consecutively. You have to push another key between any 2 consecutive right arrow button presses. If not it will completely turn off and you have to unplug it to make it come back on.

Makes getting around the menus/adjustments quite a challenge. Some parts of the menu are completely inaccessible because of this.

This is mind-blowing. Have you ever checked if there was a firmware upgrade that fixed it?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Here's some obsolete technology for you. I've been building an 8 bit computer out of TTL chips.

More like a loavesboard.

Do you have video of this thing in operation?

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Aug 16, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Here's someone that mounted it on the wall in a deep box frame. Looks pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzBsoBgcSY

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I would watch a whole documentary on feelies/physical copy protection.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I remember there was a dumbass visualization plugin for Winamp that was a tie-in for A Knight's tale where knights fought to the tune of the music. (not very well)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Can we create a fake kickstarter campaign with fake prototypes and then just buy the counterfeits?

Now, this guy is onto something.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I have a Sidewinder Precision that still works to this day. I played through Mechwarrior 3 with it last year. It does have a slight problem though; every few years I feel the need to get it out I have to let it discharge the static build-up because it has a huge-rear end metal base on it. It won't be detected by any computer if I don't.

This guy loving rules and now I have to watch every one of his videos.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 27, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

*Looks angrily at Denon AV receiver remote*

They're Eneloop Pros, the best AA batteries you can get, you stupid piece of plastic!

What is it about this remote that needs more juice?

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Aug 27, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

0toShifty posted:

Brought to you by the country that also had the fireplace tax, playing card tax, brick tax and window tax!

Could you combine the last two into a more affordable broken window tax?

edit: Reading about the brick tax made me learn the phrase "Wilkes' gobs."

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I have a 1GB Sansa Clip I bought in 2007 or so. I used it for 8-10 hours every night every other week for 4 years straight (7 day, 12-hour shifts with every other week off) and it's still my main MP3 player.

Lot of Coast to Coast AM listened to on that thing. I use a 3rd party "OS" on it called RockBox.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Aug 28, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Before the Clip, my mp3 player was the Sansa c140 which ran on a single AAA battery. Remember when there was no standardization for interfacing to a computer so you had dozens of different connectors and cables, some proprietary? Glad it's all mini/micro USB now.

wa27 posted:

Rockbox was cool - I put it on my iAudio X5L.

Looking back, the amount I spent on mp3 players definitely wasn't worth the enjoyment I got out of them. I think it was $250 for a Dell DJ, $400 for an iAudio x5L, and $99 for a gen 1 Zune, all within a 5 year span.

It's weird to think that the ipod was released in 2001. I got my first player in 2004 and still felt like an early adopter.

What an odd shape. "Color sound" is the best kind of sound. Reminds me of PCMCIA cards that definitely belong in this thread.

I still use a Linksys PCMCIA WI-FI adapter in an old-rear end Dell laptop.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Aug 28, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I think the instructions for my microwave say that if I'm heating water in it, I should rest a spoon in the container so it doesn't do that thing where it suddenly explosively boils when you disturb it. Apparently this is really important because there's an illustration of this inside the door. I've never tried it, I just use a kettle. No, not in the microwave.

This happened to me. I was heating a glass measuring cup with 2.5 cups of water and when I went to grab it, I bumped it a bit before grasping the handle and boiling water erupted everywhere - all inside microwave and on the counter, but I avoided getting scalded. Helped clean the microwave a little, at least.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Those horse masks were never funny.:shrug:

edit: Whoops, wrong thread but I'm just gonna leave it hanging.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Expensive tools own when you don’t pay for them.

whoops, lost my post

it was basically me being jealous of people getting fancy multimeters from work in the electronics megathread.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Sep 11, 2019