Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

So I found this somewhere.

Copyright said 1988. You can do arithmetic exercises, train yourself in touch typing and the "games" consist of hangman and solving jumbled words.

Dragging this from years ago to say that I had one that was called the VTech PreComputer 1000. It had some cartridges that you could load programs on, also supported BASIC and had a guide on creating programs with it. It even had some sample programs that you could type in yourself, painfully on the tiny screen. I can still hear the sounds it made in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Unperson_47 posted:

I had a similar little computer like this with cartridges. I loved the hell out of that thing, especially the cartridge that had Biology quiz questions.

I remember reading the word "organism" as "orgasm" because I was a kid. And I of course read questions out loud.

The PreComputer supported cartridges, you probably had the same thing I'm talking about. I remember hauling mine over to my friend's house and playing games and making programs with him. Good times!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

blugu64 posted:

How else do people get prints of their photos? That’s how I get family photos printed out for the album/letters, so if there’s a better way...

We don't own a photo printer either. When daycare needs photos for something, we pay a pittance to print out a few at the kiosk down the street. I'll be sad if they go away.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
To be fair, we went to print photos a week or two ago and Target had removed their kiosks near Customer Service. I'm not sure if they relocated them, we just went to the Walgreens nearby and used theirs.

I guess I'm just like my dad, an old fart stuck in his own generation's ways.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
We had a Coleco when I was a kid (and the adapter to play Atari games on it). It was incredible, and was definitely the reason I was immediately hooked by vidya games. I even got to play some Vectrex and other odd stuff because my brother's friends and random neighbors had some cool things.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

I remember my first red PCB video card, and black motherboard. It was so cool since it wasn't green.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Most of the old stuff didn't require anything more than a big heatsink on top. AMD led the charge for ridiculous cooling, those bastards ran extremely hot around the 1ghz days.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Thomamelas posted:

Cyrix lead the charge on that.

Yeah but no one bought those.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I once cut a huge hole in the front of my case, chopped a funnel to fit it, then put the biggest fan I could find inside the case. I spraypainted the entire abomination shiny, mirror-like silver.

At least now I just put a shitload of LEDs everywhere like a civilized person.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I got a spark in my eye (wearing glasses but not safety ones) and had to have it drilled out at the ER. Then I had to get it drilled again a couple days later to get the rust string.

I would not recommend cutting a computer case with a Dremel to install a window.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was so shocked at how cheap computer parts had become that when I went to build a new one last year I ended up with an i9 that I mostly use for playing Rocket League.

I don't care, it'll be over a decade before I need to upgrade again.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
All the lovely tech in this very thread is why I built something ridiculous: because I could and I always wanted a top of the line machine. Now I just need to sell my kid to travelers and I can game all day!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. Reminds me, I had this in highschool (literally asked for it for xmas to stunt on this one nerd in my chemistry class who also had one), and had zero use for it. I ended up getting the same nerd to install some asteroids type game on it. Luckily I was able to sell it off in college for like 100 bux.

the keyboard and d-pad were great though, you could enter all your notes in there, and the dpad was useful for the few games.

These things were loving awesome! We had a bunch in our advanced maths classes in highschool. I was so jazzed when I got one that had games installed on it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

When I graduated these were banned on all of the AP tests

Same, but they were fantastic at teaching higher level maths due to the ease of use. Just a much better calc than the TI-8x.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

And yeah, that's the extent of a scenery disk. You have a vague outline of a coast, there are some major roadways, and only the tallest buildings. Turn around and there's probably the Empire State Building aaaaaaaand that's all of NYC.

I need to play an actual up-to-date flight simulator. I got so much drama out of playing Battle of Britain with all of my crew named after Catch-22 characters. I'd feel real grief when one pixel erased the other pixel and Yossarian finally met his fate.
Nah, just watch this guy's videos instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNN8w2XlwY

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

The last flight sim was DCS when it was called Lock On, at this point I think I'll wait for the new MS one. Looks fuckin sweet.

And of course Deus Ex removed WTC before 9/11.

This was actually because they had to crop the skyline due to technical limitations, which is a great "obsolete technology" story in itself

Do go on. And explain why it had that terrible dithering like that. I seem to recall playing it later on a better machine and that wasn't there, or I simply got used to it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

This was just the first screenshot I grabbed off GIS so who knows why it's dithered. But back then Unreal (and many other games) could run in 16-bit color mode which was IIRC the only format some Voodoo cards supported and was faster than 32-bit on some others. So maybe that's it.

The story with the skyline is that there was a limit on how large of an image you could load into the game - either in resolution or in size (as in bytes), I'm not sure which. So the solution to still have a realistic-looking NYC skyline was to crop and then mirror the real skyline by reusing the same image. Here's another screenshot, it looks like there's a seam to the left of the statue of liberty, and then everything further left is repeated on the right side of the previous screenshot too, so WTC just got cropped somewhere. I tried to google for the original source but couldn't quickly find it. Anyway, they realized it and made up an in-game explanation that it was blown up by terrorists.

Anyway, nowadays you can load huge jpegs right into the GPU memory and it works fine.

I never ran 3dfx cards because they were garbage wrapped in marketing, much like Bose. I guess the card I had when I first played the game was 16-bit (or I had the wrong settings). I distinctly it being better when I played the game again a few years later, and it was so much prettier without all that mud-colored junk over the image.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

Except for the part where Voodoo and Voodoo2 chipsets dominated the 1st and 2nd PC 3D graphics card generations, and were better than any of their competitors only by support, speed, and performance.

Except they weren't. The RivaTNT and TNT2 were knocking on the door and beating the Voodoo in some aspects. I remember showing up to my first LAN party with a TNT2 and blowing away everyone who was still using Voodoo cards.

Here's a fun blast from the past:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,87.html

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

Going to repeat for a new page that this is absolutely a pro click.

I'm overjoyed that you guys are loving it! Me wife even watches them with me, the host is a natural.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Voodoo cut corners and did things that were worse quality but improved framerates. I don't care to die on this hill, I was glad that 3dfx got beat by nVidia. I only wished I had invested in them like I should have when they had their IPO :sigh:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OaBkvwx7Hw

I enjoyed this video, I'm sure you guys will too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

uli2000 posted:

Ham here. I promise, we're all not batshit crazy Omaba hatin' diabetes havin' boomer, but yeah, most are.

That guy is what's called a rover. There are ham radio contests (yes, it's a thing) where hams try to make contacts with different countries or different areas. This guy is is all likelihood activating different Maidenhead grid squares for a VHF and up contest (50 mhz and up) contest transmitting in multiple squares, often times in areas where there may not be many hams or many people. During these contests hams get 'points' for making contacts with as many grids and/or other hams, and those that collect the most points often times get plaques or certificates proving you are the most ham.

Data via ham radio is still governed by archaic symbol rate rules. Anything on HF (30 mhz or below) has a maximum rate of 300 baud, VHF (30-300mhz) is 1200 baud, and UHF (300-3000mhz) is 9600 baud. The more data you send, the more bandwith it takes, which is at a premium, especially in the HF bands. Hams have lots of bandwidth in various chunks above UHF, including exclusive portions of 2.4 and 5.8ghz, just below and into the unlicensed wifi bands, which hams have been using for enhanced uses like broadband hamnet and AREDN. Hams have had a class A block of ip addresses since 1981 (44.x.x.x). The group that controls the block sold off a chunk of it to Amazon last year, but they still hold 75% of the block that can be assigned to hams.

I almost regrew my virginity just reading this post.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Meaning you would have regrown it if only you’d ever lost it in the first place?

I have a toddler. I think I'd rather have my virginity most days :laffo:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
What's in my underwear probably qualifies as obsolete technology at this point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Joke post: hey guise remember gbs.fm?

I will never get tired of kuuenbu's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

edit: maybe funnier? I dunno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qnM14VRu6U

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm quarantined and have nothing else to do, tell me what the gently caress that is and what you're going to do with it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My mom has a coffee pot with a timer on it, and it'll keep your coffee warm for awhile. :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Or develop severe allergic reactions to dairy and never be able to eat anything with milk or cheese again!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

You've got a pretty intense name/post/title combo.

Life imitating art. I was called Nocheez for 15 years before becoming lactose intolerant :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

I was going to be that guy, but Pressure is a lovely Billy Joel song.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

No need to turn the tap dance into your crusade. Sheesh!

I had to Google that to see if those were lyrics from the song because that's like the only song on his greatest hits album I always skip.

Still, :golfclap:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Beartaco posted:

That part was really interesting too. I'm not from the States so I'd never even heard of these rental vending machines.

They really are fantastic when you don't have streaming options available. A few years ago my parents sold their condo near Clemson, SC. The internet there was pretty lovely (and broadcast TV sucks), so my wife and I would stop at a Redbox on our way in, rent a few movies we'd been wanting to watch, and would have something to do while drinking the nights away.

I really miss that condo. :sigh:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I thought this was the thread for obsolete technology, not obsolete jokes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I miss being a kid with limited options and getting those shareware discs with a bunch of games on them to try. A few games ended up being so good that I somehow convinced my mom to write a check to some indie developer in BFE nowhere to send me the full version. I always paid up front, so if those guys stole my money it would have been such a letdown. They all came through in the end.

Good memories!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A comma in there would probably be good.

Nope, still not a good word choice :pedo:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Antioch posted:

I took a Dremel to one of the blanks on the back of the case and fed a SATA and power through that.

Make sure you put a rubber grommet around the hole, or at least wrap it in a bunch of layers of electrical tape.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you're worried about there being sensitive data just run a drill bit through it a couple of times. If you're not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My wife had an e-ink phone that flipped two ways. Here's a video that shows it, it was pretty neat for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4FRZvxqvY&t=185s

Skip to 4:30 to see the how the buttons changed depending on what functions you were using.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That brought back memories! I had these cards that would fit into a record player (or you used a hand-held one that they sold) and you could hear the play-by-play for that scene on the card. It was pretty neat in the 90s, but I wonder if that would be an actual collectible because there's just not much like those. I think my brother still has them, or maybe they're in my closet in my mom's house.

edit: of course YouTube has it covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYlsTny81Sw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have a big box of DVDs/HDDVDs in my attic and I think I've actually used the discs twice in the past 5 years. Physical media has its place, but my Plex server has enough content to get me by if the internet goes down for a long period of time. I just feel like a hoarder with all those piece of cardboard and plastic doing nothing, but I ain't wasting more time ripping that poo poo to a hard drive than I ever would watching it.

edit: shameful snipe...