Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

less than three posted:

You can still get similar, but it's super hipster now.

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/coffee-brewing-alarm-clock/

If I could have that for 10% of that price I would be happy.

GoutPatrol has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There was apparently a filing cabinet full of VCDs at my work that someone was throwing out a few years ago.

I took photos of some.

and I guess :nws:

I did not try to watch these.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

barbecue at the folks posted:

I downloaded the Daft Punk song Robot Rock from WinMX and I kinda dug the way the song repeated itself for four minutes straight, I thought it was a ballsy move to go full conceptual artpop like that even if the joke wore out after a few listens.

I heard the song on radio years later and was surprised to hear that the real version had a whole chorus I never got to hear because I had been listening for all these years to a fake file that only repeated the first eight bars over and over again :haw:

I think that Daft Punk album is known for being incredibly repetitive and uninspired so maybe they were just making it even better?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

F4rt5 posted:

poo poo that reminds me I have to get on for an interview after What.CD shut down

hey at least you got an interview I've been high and dry for years

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Powered Descent posted:

It was common for teachers to come around the room before a test so they could see the "Mem cleared" screen on everyone's TI-81. So of course, people wrote programs that would draw a fake of that screen. But that was less common than you'd think, since the program essentially had to draw the letters pixel by pixel (you couldn't just print it as text because it had lower-case letters). So in addition to being a huge pain to figure out and type in, the program also took up a good chunk of memory, not leaving much for your cheat sheets. So lot of us only did it once, just to prove we could outsmart the teacher, and then never bothered again.

The current TI models now have a "test mode" that locks out that kind of stuff, and a very noticeable blinking light turns on so if you're walking around it is easy to see if test mode has been turned off.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

teen witch posted:

I grew up in a tv in the kitchen house and it was never one of those under the cabinet ones. Maybe the size of a computer monitor at most.

I sort of miss that as an adult but podcasts have helped immensely

My parents won one of those in a supermarket raffle and it lasted until we had to get a new microwave and therefore couldn't fit in its spot. It went into the basement and stayed there for probably a decade.

I have such a strong memory of watching that TV with news (or a commercial looking like news) announcing that M&Ms had a new color - blue. Strange what stays with you.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Explosionface posted:

I need to see all those displays lit up

It's already lit op

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GreenNight posted:

I got a deal for boxes of Bazooka Joe back in like 2002 and I'm still going through it. Gave a bunch out for halloween this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZffuY3BKXj0

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

credburn posted:

Are NFTs a thing still?

I just saw a huge billboard today with Snoop Dogg advertising Sketchers with a Bored Ape on it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

correct, kojima is obsolete

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Flipperwaldt posted:

They're not hardwired. Not even Sony was that stupid.

E: you could open the lid.

It's the WM-51 and being from 1987 it long predates the ~2001 Sony fad of selling Fontopia earphones coming in winding cases that I'm confusing this with. Apparently these are hardwired after all, sorry.

Before I got wireless buds I spent many years searching for more J-Style earbuds where the cord would go over your neck, which made it much easier to take out when your mom was yelling at you to take those loving things out you wanted to. I can't think of why they didn't become the standard style except for it was a Sony patent thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

monolithburger posted:

Do you mean something like in ear monitors?

No, where one side was longer than the other. They went around your neck and it was easier to have one out or they were (to me at least) less likely to fall out or get pulled out. It was surprisingly hard to find a photo like this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I got one on Ebay four years ago and used pretty much as a walkman charger for my pretty broken but still useable walkman.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I ported my decades-old library earlier this year to MusicBee and after I fixed the 8000 files that couldn't be found I am very happy. I just wanted to keep all my old play counts and other metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Americans put butter on their popcorn.

Or so I've heard.

working at a cheap movie theater we had pure mazola in our squirter, people gobbled that up