Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

The main attraction for me was watching the pen plotter make it's magic. It worked in one color at a time, cross-hatching to create the shaded areas, slowly building an image.

E: Different plotter, but holy poo poo this thing is fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGPSAD5L_k (For a pen plotter)

That video is... I wonder how the internal logic behind it worked, it was jumping all over the place until the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What DID degaussing do anyways? Whenever I had a problem with my monitor, that was always the first thing I tried but it never seemed to do anything, it was usually a different setting that needed fiddling with (even if it was just "Turn setting down by one, then back up by one") or a loose cable. What was such a major issue that it needed a dedicated button to fix?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

i'm the one guy who died of cancer

edit: wait there's also the "cancer and wolf" category... I am very curious about that one

Death by crabs?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm a man...but I can change...if I hate to...I guess.

I honestly wonder how many incels wouldn't be if they just took Red's advice to heart: "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, David Bowie and the Guess Who are on there, so there's at least SOME competition/variety for what you toss into the player.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Man I still remember watching movies as a kid on an old Betamax player. IIRC the main reason it failed was the tapes could only hold like 60 minutes of film & despite being better quality than VHS, the VHS standard had more space (90-120min) so people gravitated towards that. Almost reminds me of the whole HD-DVD vs BluRay standards when they first got popular.

I think it was Betamax was 60-90 minutes, while VHS was 90-180 minutes. Betamax was long enough for most movies to be released on a single tape, but not long enough to record a movie from TV broadcast (which were usually 2-hour blocks, IIRC).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

caspergers posted:

The entertainment center

I think about these a lot. It's so strange how such a common household thing became so obsolete with just a change in a television's shape. I haven't seen one in a home in ages when at one point they were in everyone's. It feels like an exodus tbh.
You still see them in second hand shops but it's not like they can be repurposed and still look good with large hole with nothing to fill it. I had one with a 20 inch flat screen and it looked ridiculous.

There have been ones made recently-ish for flat-screen TVs where you put a wall mount on the stand itself. We have one, it's not bad until you have to plug in something to the TV, then you have to take the whole TV off the stand. Still less of a pain then plugging in things to the old "big screen" CRTs, mind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Sub is also a stretch. They are just boats that sit very low in the water. They can't actually fully submerge.

Bah, Any boat can fully submerge if you try hard enough. It's getting the boat floating again that's the tricky part.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Had a Sony SL-2710 until 1993 when I sold my entire Betamax collection to a family in rural Wyoming so I wouldn’t have to haul this thing back home. A fantastic VCR with astonishing picture quality for the time.

And so many buttons. Love discrete buttons for control :awesome:

We had that thing up until DVDs became the norm. We also had VHS players, but this tended to outlast them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

holefoods posted:

Watched some laserdiscs tonight, it had been a while. I really miss all of the “…and now our feature presentation” and THX intros and whatnot. The downside being that (in the case of VHS at least) it was coming after a ton of trailers, but just the overall presentation of home video being this amazing novel thing is something I miss. It’s such a normal thing now, who cares to spice it up anymore.

I will admit I miss trailers for other movies on the discs. Nothing like renting some b-movie or direct-to-video schlock and seeing a bunch of cheesy trailers for films you've never heard of and will never be able to track down in the early-internet times.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My dad had vinyls growing up and I never really cared for them, but after he passed away and we started going through his actual collection for either hard-to-find albums (Phantom of the Paradise!), older albums we actually liked (Thriller, Beatles), or just the downright weird poo poo (The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band), we ended up keeping maybe 1/20th of my parents records. I started getting into it, and have discovered the world of VG vinyl music.

I'll admit, there is SOMETHING missing when listening to albums on CD or streaming, I don't know if it's the faint hiss and occasional pop on an older album, or having actual knobs to be able to fine tune the bass and treble, but there is an appeal to vinyl outside of just having nice, large sleeves to display. Plus modern albums feel durable enough that I don't feel like I might break them just taking them out of the sleeve, old albums were cheap AF in that regard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have albums that are 40+ years old that are pretty sturdy. It's not like they are those shellac 78s that break if you look at them hard enough.

I should have clarified that I meant in comparison to new albums, the old ones feel flimsy. There's a noticeable difference in thickness and weight between a mass-produced LP from the... gently caress, 60's-to-80's to modern ones made for a niche audience.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Would you like fries with your police brutality?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

River Raid was fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

None of the games on the Virtualboy ever got remade for other consoles, right? That's a shame, I heard that the Warioland game on it was fun, and I've always been kind of curious about the Jack Bros game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Panic Bomber was a port, and is on other systems at least. The other 13 US virtual boy games are mostly trapped there.

Yeah, but Panic Bomber was ported to the system, not from the system, so I'm not sure if that counts. Also, today I learned there was a Bomberman puzzle game where the solution is STILL "Use Bomb on everything".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, I'm not complaining. Usually when they have a puzzle spinoff it's a reskin of a completely different Japanese game with just the character images changed nothing to do with the main series.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is my wall of shame of the games I worked on, I never bothered saving any other boxes

That is the PC version of Falcon 4.0's binder stacked on top in the last two images.

On the one hand, you have some excellent games and entertainingly dumb games there. On the other hand, YOU FUCKER! YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU KILLED BLOOD! ITS DEATH IS BY YOUR HANDS!

What work did you do on the games, in general, by the way?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Civilization: Beyond Earth goes in one of those "This isn't what we wanted" categories like Duke Nukem Forever or Fallout 76.

I wouldn't go that far. Beyond Earth is... fine. It's alright, a decent enough sci-fi spinoff of Civilization V, and the alignment system wasn't that bad. Fun enough to go back to every once in awhile, but not fun enough to take up permanent space on a hard drive. It's just that what people wanted was Alpha Centauri 2.0. It definitely wasn't as bad as Fallout 76 or DNF.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Completely unrelated to pipetalk, I recently found an old Bell & Howell 1621 Super 8 projector and some reels of film while clearing out my parents crap. The Super 8 projector still had styrofoam in the case to boot. The outside is dusty as all hell from being stored in the garage, but the inside of the case looks brand new. Does anyone know what I should look out for as far as "parts to replace sooner rather than later" on this thing? I can provide photos later if anyone wants to see it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did the red also have a weird overbleed or noticably shifted from where it should be red? I remember noticing that especially on the old Star Trek with the bright red uniforms.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I want this who do I have to kill to get one? Also, is MSX1 any good or if I actually wanted a MSX machine, would I be better off going with a MSX2 machine?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But it CAN load! ...so what can you actually do with it once it's loaded?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So it's just pushing the C64 to see what can actually run on it? Thats still pretty cool, even if Linux can't actually do anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Beta was better than VHS because that's what I grew up with :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Despite all the hours I spent playing the old electro-mechanical pinball machines I never realized just how complex the innards were. I also realized how much I miss them. I enjoyed the cool features of the electronic ones, but the visceral experience of the earlier mechanisms was more satisfying. You could feel all that clicking and clunking as you played, hear it thrum through the big hollow space inside the machine. That was completely absent in electronic ones, replaced by loud music and sound effects.

EDIT: Just fell down a YouTube old arcade game rabbit hole, especially when I came across some "TOP GAMES OF <year>" videos. Flashbacks to all the time I wasted at my university's arcade.

We have a video pinball machine, and it's fantastic having dozens of pinball tables in the space of one machine, there is that aspect missing from it. Just that subtle hum of the wires, and the clunks from the guts as various switches activate and deactivate.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I will never get over the "fish is a meatless alternative" belief. What did they think fish was made out of, rock? I know that several hundred years later it's just religious inertia at this point, but I still scratch my head over that whenever it's brought up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is a 3D printed steak really "dead" though? Can you have death where there was no life to begin with?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Badah dah dah, badah dah dah, bah da da dahdah da...

WHY IS THAT SONG BURNED INTO MY MEMORY?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Did we ever figure out if there's a cure for men's restless fighting spirit?

Castration or death, if I remember correctly. Well, I mean, those are what's used on farms and with house pets, I'm assuming it would work on men as well. Restless fighting spirit is stored in the balls after all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A bit of overkill to get rid of one tree, isn't it?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What... what am I looking at? How is that bottom component not shattering under the weight? ...is there a beta player in all that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That whole stack is less than 4’ tall.

It is on a stand and the turntable is directly beneath a light. It's a fair question.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll say this much for Tengen and Camerica, their games weren't that bad (not only for unlicensed third-party companies, but even against some of the publishers for Nintendo) and the Aladdin Deck Enhancer wasn't a bad idea on paper.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What's the story on those 52-in-1 carts? Where they also Tengen products?

Do you mean Action 52 or the bootleg multicarts?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

evobatman posted:

I watch Mr. Mobile on YouTube because I'm a consumer whore, and he has done reviews on all the Samsungs and lots of other foldables. Every single one develops creases, delaminates the layers, splits, cracks or gets dust and dirt inside places where you can't get it out.

It's good to know my initial gut feeling of "That seems... bad" when I saw them was right. Just because you can make phones with screens that can bend 180 degrees doesn't mean you should.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So, dumb question from someone who knows next to nothing about NFTs/Wallets/Blockchains... so how are these being stolen if the block chain is supposed to be the thingy that keeps track of ownership? Just bruteforce the password for the wallets (I don't know if that is even a thing, forgive my ignorance)?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Right, so how are they being "stolen" (other than the obvious joke answer of "Right click -> Save As)?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

The digital certificates are being moved from one wallet to another via an exploit without the original owner's consent. It's no different than somebody hacking your bank account and draining it, except there's no legal protections to redress your issue.

Collateral Damage posted:

So the ethereum chain supports something called "smart contracts" which in essence is program code that can run when certain conditions are met and do things on the blockchain on your behalf. So you could for instance lend money to someone using a smart contract which automatically transfers the loaned amount back at the agreed upon end of the loan period.

If that sounds like it's a wide open door for shady exploits and scams you'd be entirely correct, and is apparently what happened here. The thief used a malicious smart contract to exploit one of the NFT marketplaces and transfer a bunch of ugly apes to their own wallet.

e: https://web3isgoinggreat.com/single/nft-trader-hack

Oh okay, so basically someone made a "Smart Contract" that said "I loan person X this NFT (that they currently own) for a time of 1 second, return it to me at the end of the contract" and the etherium chain said "Okie dokie!" without checking to see if that person owned the NFT in the first place? Dumbed down to the simplest explanation I can think of after reading that explanation and the link to sum up the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there actually CP in the original blockchain or was that just a rumor?