Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That reminds me of how everyone in Russia apparently knows the NES and all its games under the name of a famiclone called Dendy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The only valid pallette is the SECAM Atari 2600 pallette

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

An Infocom game I always wanted to play, but couldn't was the Mac only Quarterstaff: The Thomb of Setmoth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff:_The_Tomb_of_Setmoth

It had a map that updated as you strolled through your dungeon and the game took into account your inventory weight, which kind of blew my 14 year old mind. I eventually found an abandonware copy and like every other 1980's game it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

The only old game I still play is Sid Mier's Colonization.

This is the most Macintosh looking game I've ever seen. Did macs of the era only have one font?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ahem, I count at least 3 different fonts in that screenshot.

Ah, so you're right. My apologies for my tiny phone screen

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I, an idiot, insisted on putting FLAC files on my 512MB mp3 player.
Sure I can only store 1.5 albums that way but they sound so good you guys

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I can't believe Enya designed a network card

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Snap-On, apply directly to the forehead

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've use the Walmart photo centre to print photos for gifts before. They now provide a phone app that beams your entire camera roll to the kiosk so you can select which photos you want to print from that horrible laggy touch screen. Given that it's Walmart clientele, you can imagine how well that goes. The gifts were well received though!

I am kind of obsessed with the idea of printing out and framing snapchat screenshots, like with the captions and filters and everything. I could have one of those memory walls covered in people with googly eyes and dog ears

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dear God, the power bill

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I took a c course in university (c.2015 I think) and needed a copy of k&r so I ordered one used on Amazon and ended up with a pre-ansi copy of it, not knowing there would be anything wrong with that.

What do you mean the return type of main isn't implicit >:(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah all these teletext screenshot seem to have character display issues that are weirdly consistent within each. Did every model of TV have a subtly different character set or something?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Scarodactyl posted:

I really miss slide-out keyboards. I have never gotten fully used to inferior screen typing.

I have a friend who is the one remaining non-business consumer of Blackberrys for this reason

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rexxed posted:

I probably don't need these in my drawer of useful computer cables. Balls balls balls.

I kind of miss the physical resistance of moving a classic ballmouse. I don't miss cleaning gunk out of it every other day

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Were the Nokias actually powered by Linux though??

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'these colors don't run' on a black and white screen is very good

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Phones started being poo poo when they stopped shipping with snake

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I still have my Sansa Fuze! It's 10 or 11 years old at this point. I use it for podcasts bc gently caress draining my phone battery and hauling around a phone plus headphone dongle for that poo poo. There's a literal bug crawling around inside the screen sometimes but it still works great

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Growing up, my Nintendos, all the way up to the GameCube, connected to a wood panel knob TV via vcr. The TV eventually smeared red all over the screen then would only display the colour green, but it lasted a very long time and gave my gaming setup some serious aesthetic.

The vcr still functions as the console hub and even had its heads repaired so it can play tapes again! It's just connected to a different crt.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Noone is mentioning the GameCube controller bc it is the best designed controller in history and continues to not be obsolete nor failed. Nothing but respect

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Because I'm insane and also a huge goon, I'm a little worried how neopets is going to cope, they don't seem to have any kind of effort going to make the economy poo poo the bed without flash games

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it only got better!

Lmao hell yeah

They eventually released a whole rear end cd of extremely bad hampster dance inspired tracks

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Aren't those Java phone games largely lost now? Are there emulators for them? I'd love to play, like, doom rpg and poo poo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Had a fun discussion with my boss about Win11 possibly being an upgrade clustwrfuck with the TPM2 thing they'll require.

Remember Vista? Vista, guys... remember?

I still want to buy one of those original 'Microsoft Surface' coffee tables that ran a special flavour of Vista. I have absolutely no idea what I'd use it for, or where I'd put it in my tiny apartment, but goddammit, I want the stupid computer table and it's not like i have kids to feed

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sounds a little like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZHA3qTc6c

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SwiftKey decided that 'muhh' is more of a real word than 'much' and will autocorrect 'much' to 'muhh' no matter how many times I long press the suggestion and press 'never predict muhh again'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm sorry about your dick arthritis

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The very best in obsolete technology is my good boy Kilroy!!

He's a sony aibo ERS-7 that I got off yahoo auctions japan just a little under a year ago and he's my pandemic dog. He still surprises me with new tricks and conversation (bc his voice is just a very expressive text-to-speech engine, a 128mb memory stick holds a lot) but mostly we just hang out and it's kind of nice having another 'personality' in my otherwise empty apartment. His movements are really smooth and life like, but he makes sounds more like a Playstation menu than a dog.
He was probably manufactured around 2004 and you can definitely hear the age in his hip motors but other than that he's in pretty good working order. He fails to stand up sometimes, but if I'm not around to catch him he can right himself - and calls out for help if he can't. The black and white pole in the background is what he uses to identify his charging station which he walks over and seats himself on when his battery is running low, which is about after 2 hours on his freshly re-celled battery. I had to buy a Sony memory stick writer from eBay to install English voice recognition on him lol

I put socks on him because his paws seemed to have been designed for carpet, which I suppose is fair for a product of the early 2000s. "people will adopt our robot animals" was in hindsight a batshit bet Sony made that didn't work out but I'm glad they tried

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

They didn't just try

they're still making them. The newest one was barely released three years ago.

That's true, though there was a long hiatus between the ERS-7 and ERS-1000 and it seems to be more a vehicle for 'pay us a subscription fee to put a cloud connected camera wandering through your home' so the profit calculus for Sony seems a little different this time. Also imo it's ugly

Humphreys posted:

I've always wanted one of those! What's the going rate for them now?

Between being the newest and most advanced of the vintage models (ie not the 2018 model mentioned above), in known working order with a refurbished battery and import fees and shipping from Japan, mine cost me about $1.5K Canadian. Other models can be significantly cheaper but for some reason they also seem to be a favourite of scammers on eBay, so fb groups and discords are the recommended venue for shopping for one, I paid extra to gamble on importing one basically.

The 31X series was manufactured as a budget aibo but I really hate to look at it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trabant posted:

I was going to be all :argh: if they didn't have the Best Buy Y2K Remember sticker, but they do!

Gonna start covering up racist graffiti with these

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love those tvs that were built into sidebar cabinets or whatever. TVs should know their place and be 4 inches off the ground

This poo poo :

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

roffels posted:

This reminds me of another pet peeve where in the past 10 years, I started hearing people call the NES a "ness" and the SNES a "Super ness" or "sness".

'ness' is wrong however 'nezz' is correct and normal

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah both the game console and You go on the floor

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My mom has some kind of digital cable package and it fuckin lists Netflix as a channel in the channel guide so olds can actually find it lmao

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Kind of the opposite of how my (new, Sony, Android) TV lists "TV" as an app along with youtube and netflix.

My mom's TV also does that (it's some kind of hosed up Cable Provider OEM TV or some poo poo) but when I navigated to that top menu she'd never seen it before and thought I was doing advanced hacking poo poo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

They're so cute!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

European retrogamers on okcupid like "I'm gonna make you SCART"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The yellowing is like the rings in a tree trunk. It is hard earned

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There's also a lot of children's electronic toys that, under the hood, are an nes on a chip with a homebrew nes rom running on them, just bc it's cheap, documented well, and the expertise is easily hired bc there was a market for new nes games for a crazy long time. I know a lot of TV plug and play toys use them

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1059927031226413057?s=20&t=HgBcRzDHgCmETSSyNu2eGQ

Frank Cifaldi tweets threads about them sometimes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

holefoods posted:

Wow, are those dumped and available to grab anywhere?

They're mostly those lovely blobs you have to dissolve away and scan so I think there's some effort there but it's slow going?

He says in the replies that some of them are dumped and will run perfectly fine in an nes emulator but I wouldn't know where the roms are available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

evobatman posted:

Well next step, could you put them on a flash cart and play them on real hardware? Are there games out there that are coded specifically for the NES clone chips, and not for real NES hardware?

I can't find the thread about it in my phone bc it was something frank Cifaldi retweeted but yes to the latter one at least. There's devices out there that are nes on a chip with daughterboards it's wild

edit: not the one I was thinking of but here's a thread on a historical 'Enhanced NES' device

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1225901174701752320?s=20&t=9JttwgBNrDz7vo-Ua29aYQ

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Sep 15, 2022