Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm writing the first draft of my novel and it's about a guy who has to (at first) fend for himself in a foreign country with nothing. There is a point where he meets someone else who is in a similar situation, but until then I find that the pace is very slow, with very few dialogue. This guy has a lot of internal conflict; he is constantly at war with himself. This leads to a lot of inner battles that I find necessary but somewhat boring to write.

Should I even care about this at this stage of my writing, or should I just try to solve this problem by figuring something out (maybe change the plot so that the protagonist meets the other guy earlier, or give him an "imaginary friend" to verbally fight against, or whatever, really)?

It sounds tedious and it sounds like you find it tedious. This is bad. Can you put your guy in a lot more trouble? Really put him through poo poo? Steal his wallet, break his finger, give him dysentery. See if that gives you a more interesting way to deliver the payload of agonised self-interrogation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Purple Prince posted:

I don't know guys, Trainspotting was fairly easy to read for me, even in the Renton chapters. Then again Welsh mostly writes in standard English and only replaces certain words in Scots with their phonetic equivalents. No hail of apostrophes. As far as I can tell he only replaces the words that are noticeably different other than in terms of inflection. In addition most of the words he replaces are commonly used; the reader becomes used to them quickly.

"Ah pull oot some crumpled notes fae mah poakits, and wi touching servility, flatten them oot oan the coffee table."

That's such a great sentence.

As with so much in writing, the answer to 'can I use weird accents?' is 'yes, if you are awesome'.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr.48 posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking of ordering The 10% Solution in paperback since I figure I'll be referencing it often and that might be awkward with an e-book. Good idea?

Edit: I should mention that its $14 in paperback, is this a good value?

Yes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I would say...seth effreckin?

Kiwi, IIRC.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I know I certainly would like to see the books others recommend to read. I would find that helpful, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The Master and Margarita, by Bulgakov. Magic Realism before it was cool, a hilarious score settling romp through 30s Moscow by the motherfucking Devil and his rambunctious buddies, coupled with the most divinely beautiful writing about Pontius Pilate.

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. A few dozen portraits of imaginary cities, with a framing narrative of Marco Polo and Kublai Khan talking about Marco's travels. Each city is a perfect jewel-like puzzle that keeps nourishing your mind even when you've solved it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martello posted:

I've heard this is great, and I'll have to load it into my new Kindle for this gay training rotation starting this weekend. By the way, it's Perdido.

I'd be interested to know what you think of this. By about halfway I was sick of his bullshit. I finished it in a kind of vituperative fury, mutilated it with a huge pair of pinking shears and fastballed it into the bin.

So: not a fan. But I can see why people like him, he's a good writer. I just really hated what he wrote about and how he wrote it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Perdido Street Station stuff.

I remember at some point while reading it I got super-disgusted by the fact that he wrote bug-headed ladies who reproduce through their bug heads, yet still have vaginas. Why would they have those? Just so his main character could have sex with one of them?! UGH.

I definitely skimmed some of this book, but I still recommend it occasionally. Mostly because it's such an amazingly unique world. Whether or not it was wise to recommend it to someone who "wants to learn to write" but "hates reading" because he finds the "subject matter of novels repulsive" is up for debate.

If I was going to use a single word to describe it, it'd be 'leering'. I'd not think less of someone who loved it, because he's undeniably talented.

I'd put it in a similar box to the Malazan books - I liked them, but I'd only recommend them with caveats.

edit: Oh and Martello - what did you think of the redditor who got all Clancey over sending a Marine battalion back to Augustan Rome? Read pretty well to me, and my skimpy classical education didn't register any major clangers, but it seems your literary MOS.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 11, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I keep hearing good things about this series. I just now snapped up a digital copy of Gardens of the Moon on the cheap. Keep 'em coming. :)

I'd recommend Erikson with reservations. He's a decent writer, but while he's fantastic at ultra-epic sweep he is bad at actual characters. Though he does have a surprising knack for Woodhousian banter. If GotM does your head in, try fifty pages of the next one, Deadhouse Gates, and see if you like it better - he wrote it much later and it shows in the prose.

I'd put Joe Abercrombie on my must-read list - he did a trilogy (The First Law) which starts incredibly strongly and peters out a little towards then end, but is absolutely worth reading nonetheless. I'd say his more recent book The Heroes is probably his best, if you want a standalone. And he has a new one coming out soon.

The chronically underrated CJ Cherryh's Morgaine books (Gate of Ivrel, Well of Shiuan, Fire of Azeroth) are excellent gritty fantasy and so is The Paladin.

Also in the unsung category is JV Jones, who did some fairly bland fantasy before getting totally inspired by ASOIAF and writing A Cavern of Black Ice and its three sequels. Gnarly, gritty, intensely realised stuff. Unfinished sadly - I think there's still one to go.

Edit: Let me know if you end up liking Erikson, actually - I have the first six books and I'd be happy to send them down to you for postage cost.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Belding posted:

Why is his talent undeniable? He used the word largely twice in three paragraphs. In one of those the sentence was, "He lay largely on the bed." If nothing else he's got a tin ear, which is a pretty big hurdle for me to get over when labeling a writer as "talented."

Partly it's to not be an rear end in a top hat because some people love Mieville to bits. But also he has a great fecund imagination. And from memory his wordsmithing was at least competent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

That's the real drug you should seek: working hard, being accepted by a set of peers who don't suck, and being read and appreciated by people who won't read trash.

THUNDERDOME!

I've written basically nothing apart from half a crappy novel when I was in prison back in the 90s (long story) and Thunderdome has been the best thing for pushing me to actually get the poo poo down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

What-up incarceration buddy. :smith: :respek: :smith:

Heyyyyyyy!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hiddenmovement posted:

Ok, so I've made some major progress and substantial revisions to a novel that I have been working on for the last year. I've still got a tonne of work to do, and I've been trimming and chopping things in and out. It's sitting at 70k words right now after major subplot revisions, the deletion and creation of a few side characters, and the addition of stronger thematic elements.

I posted a segment of it in this thread last year around this time and the consensus was the opening paragraphs were 'not horrible'. I was hoping that I might be able to post a chapter in here prior to making a larger thread about it, so I can clean up any bone headed mistakes that I've somehow overlooked before people can start eating into the faults and flaws of this work as a whole. Would anyone in here be interested in criticizing the opening chapter?

Sure. Post a thread, is probably the best way. I'll prepare my flensing knife.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Novum posted:

Here's the deal. I'm not a writer, I don't think I'm a writer, I'm under no illusions that I have any semblance of talent or technique. With that said, I remember I used to enjoy creative writing a lot when I was in middle school and high school and, until I discovered I could get girls to like me by playing guitar, writing was my favorite hobby. Obviously this totally fell by the wayside in a big way, but I never really forgot how much fun it used to be.

Recently my little brother discovered a bunch of my old short stories that I wrote way back then and he told me that he really enjoyed them. Do note that these stories were not at all good and I am not good at writing them, I can objectively say that after having re-read one that he sent me. I was actually pretty embarrassed at how lame and cheesy it was. I decided though that instead of just pointing out all the things I hated about it that I would nut up and put my money where my mouth is and actually try to write some stuff that wasn't terrible. So for the last couple of weeks I've been trying to feed the little guy a chapter a week to see if I can shake off the rust and actually improve my writing skills from a technical standpoint.

So far I already feel like I'm starting to have a lot of fun doing it again, and I also feel like a little self awareness will go a long way to actually helping me develop as a writer. So the question is, where should I post my stupid brain spew where I can get some constructive (or destructive, what do I care?)criticism from people who don't mind humoring an absolute novice so that I can make some progress toward being a half-decent story teller?

e: Heard and double heard. I read the OP but I guess my brain didn't register that bit.

Creative Convention: We Hate You and We Want You to loving Die

Just write something, make it as good as you can make it, then post it. Under 500 words in the short fiction thread, longer pieces in their own thread.

Alternatively, the Thunderdome is a fantastic way to get your flash fiction chops up - weekly prompts, praise for the winner, humiliating avatars for the loser.

Check out this thread for an example of truly terrible writing and what sort of response it gets. And, if you aren't better than him, don't post.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 4, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Novum posted:

Yikes, no kidding. I'll step back for now and just keep doing writing exercises on my own like I've been doing so far.

Your call. Have a read of some of the other threads and see if you think you are better/worse - you can get some really good advice here. At least read the Thunderdome thread and consider doing a week there like Martello suggests. I've found it fantastic for improving my writing.

PM me or email me at jimbowardo at gmail with one of your pieces, if you want an impartial opinion on how it measures up.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 5, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gary the Llama posted:

I had a couple of my short stories published by small online magazines last month. Got paid even. ($5 for one, ~$80 for the other.) Would it be inappropriate of me to link to them in case anyone wants to read them?

One of them is a cyberpunk-influenced story about the CEO of a company being hunted by assassin priests post-World War 3.

The other is a little piece of dark historical fiction about a girl and her unusual lover.

Yeah man go for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Metaphor should be the backbone of the story, not the other way round. And the best way to get good vivid similes is to have them come out of metaphor. If your story's the tree, metaphor is the trunk and similes are the leaves.

So if you've got a loser character, and you're describing his car, put some detail into the car that comes from your experience (fast food wrappers, dirty, finger writing on the back windows). The car is now a metaphor for his life, so you can talk about his life by talking about the car.

And you can get some texture by showing how he reacts to the car. Is he angry about it? Is it his refuge? Does it defeat him? Is there a change you can show in his character by having him take some action with the car?

There's good advice for writing similes above, and as they say you should do it sparingly, but I think you'll find it simpler if you're describing something you can see in your head. And just like it's fine to say 'he said, she said', it's fine to just describe things. 'There was a blue cup on the table. It had a white rim with a chip out of the edge.'

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 22, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gary the Llama posted:

Here they are. Any feedback is appreciated.

A House Divided

The Devil's Hat

Read them. You have some serious chops.

Of the two the first is my favourite, perhaps because your cool, detached tone fits your narrator best. However the core of the story eluded me a little. Maybe because that dry precision didn't mesh with a confession of a crime of passion?

The cyberpunk yarn was also solid. But the darknet/reality crossover confused me, as did the plot. He was trying to escape the net, but loads of homeless people already had, so he needed mushrooms because...? Also the characters felt a little too detached, too cool. I know it's part of the genre convention but based on these two I think you could afford to write with a little more passion.

Definitely good stuff though, and congrats on the publication! You should come over to the Thunderdome and throw down, it's p much the best thing when it comes to cranking out prose to weird prompts and talking trash.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LaughMyselfTo posted:

So, I'm a really novice writer, and I've recently started a new project. It's both my first serious first-person-perspective project, and my first serious project with a female protagonist. Now, I haven't fallen into any of the obvious traps that have been brought up in the last few pages, like having the character objectify herself in a blatantly male way. But I'd just like to ask: Are there any other potential pitfalls I should watch out for?

On an unrelated note (well, it's related in that it's about the same project), I've been wary of worldbuilding, because in my experience and observations, writers who don't know exactly what they're doing with worldbuilding can get caught up in an endless loop of self-congratulating, masturbatory sperging for the sake of it. Do the other writers in this thread have any advice on balancing worldbuilding with more substantive, character-based and theme-based storytelling? How should exposition be handled to avoid turning your novel into a fictional, and therefore useless, edition of Encyclopedia Britannica?

Post a bit that you're worried about and we'll give you some more specific feedback.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

e: Wrong Thread

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 28, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Part of it is the immediate audience, I might have been too reactionary in my response, I'm pretty defensive of fan fiction and fan art because I think they're just for fun most of the time. Now the depravity that is displayed I could do with out.

I actually haven't been in the thread much recently and I've been having an issue writing anything at all--writer's block for sure. I denied that was what it was until recently. But I've never been a person who had this problem before. Not sure what caused it, though I suspect it to have to do with work and how it's taking a toll on everything that I like to do.

I had a short story I planned to self publish that was most of the way done, I scrapped the beginning of it because of the connection to a friend's work which was a bad idea in truth. Now I have no idea how to start it and the stuff I wrote after the start will not fit with the rest of the stuff I have.

Get your rear end in the Thunderdome. We'll sort you out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

squeegee posted:

A fiction writing tip that I've always found helpful is that your characters should never directly respond to each other or literally answer each other's questions. I do think the "never" aspect of this can be taken too far, because I've read stories that take this infuriatingly to heart and everyone is just spouting out mysteriously dense sentences past each other while staring off into the distance, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. Fiction dialogue should not mimic real life dialogue; it should distill it to its essence and it should always advance character, plot, or theme, preferably in multiple ways. The way a character responds to a question or statement should show something about his/her values, concerns, thought process, or priorities. It's hard to do that when they're just literally responding to each other in the small-talk kind of way that real people do.

This is an excellent rule. Weirdly, I first read it in a Dilbert book.

The same book had a great rule of thumb for humor:

The core of humor is what I call the 2-of-6 rule. In order for something to be funny, you need at least two of the following elements:

Cute (as in kids and animals)

Naughty

Bizarre

Clever

Recognizable (You've been there)

Cruel

Edit: ^Stabbey, I'd give him a sudden flash of some horrible consequence of 'it' not working. As it is it's way too abstract.

However I worry you're overusing interior monologue, based on tis and the other excerpt I looked at (which was improved, btw, sorry for not replying to your pm)

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxxidation posted:

More like you're single-handedly driving FYAD into CC, but whatever gets people writing is fine I guess

CC was never a hugbox, I've looked over the past couple of years of forum threads to read the stories and if anything the general tone of responses was even more critical back then. I don't think Thunderdome is a net detriment to the forum or anything, but you're not really providing some Great Service for the overall nature of CC's criticism by participating in it.

I don't think he's saying CC was a hugbox - but it was a bit moribund in terms of volume, and the 'dome is helping with that.

Speaking of which - do come back, I really liked the one of yours that (bizarrely) lost that time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Molly Bloom posted:

I'd be interested in hearing how people deal with action scenes. How do you make it readable? Do you block it all out?

I'm having trouble with the physical space of my action and making that action easy to follow. I suspect it make have something to do with 'simultaneous' versus 'sequential'. I'm about ten minutes away from using green plastic soldiers.

Just move your combatants through the space and tell a story as you do it. Think of it cinematically. What is the camera watching? Brief disorienting cuts, moments of slow detailed motion, focussing on an image for a moment, propulsion by clipped words. Here's a passage from one of my thunderdome pieces:

quote:

Jack had thrown a brick through my window first. Come through after it, knife in hand. I’d gripped his wrist, slammed the hand into the wall. Taken his headbutt, fallen over. He’d kicked me twice, three times. I remember the sound of his boot hitting me, the sound of a rib cracking. I remember grabbing the knife from the floor, stabbing up. His hot blood washing off in the shower afterwards, spiraling down the plughole.

This is clipped and brutal to give the idea of flashes of memory and instinctive action, but there's still a progression. For a more elaborate style, but still making the action clear:

quote:

I saw her eyes flicker to the side and I hurled my cup of tea at her face, pushing my chair back and over as I did. There was a subdued 'thwip' as a needle passed over me and buried itself in the wall, followed by a crash that knocked the wind out of me and probably cracked a couple of ribs as I hit the floor hard. I pulled my bony knees up to my chest and shoved the table with all my strength. It slammed Evangeline into the wall behind her and her handbag fell to the floor.

I rolled over, every joint protesting and cracked ribs sending shards of agony through my chest. Some woman screamed as I stood up, breathing heavily, stumbled towards the lavatory door I'd scouted before our meeting. I glanced back. Miss Albert wasn't moving. Someone pointed at me and yelled and I pushed through the door, shut and locked it behind me

Here I was trying for a smart combatant who's planned out his actions beforehand, so longer sentences, noticing all the detail.

As an exercise, pick a good fight in a film and write it out.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 23, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, that happened to me as well, so much of English is based on words imported or derived from other languages, so should I really be using words derived from Latin in a world where there was no Latin? I decided "screw it, I'll just use English, borrowed words be damned." I would just end up driving myself and the readers nuts if I tried to work around that.

You could go the Gene Wolfe route and use words that are obscure and archaic - it works very well in Book of the New Sun.

Edit:

quote:

•Is there some sign that the writer gave a poo poo about this story, put something personal in it?

•Is it told in a voice more engaging than an rear end in a top hat zombie groaning for brains?

•Does something loving interesting happen, performed on the page with action and quotes and all that poo poo?

•Does the main character DO anything or does he/she stand around with a thumb up his/her rear end?

•Does the main character feel or learn a goddamned thing at the end?

•Does the manuscript look like someone smarter than a loving monkey put it together?

•Does the reader give a gently caress at the end?

•Does the story go any deeper than the usual superficial bullshit that coddles dumbasses?

These are great advice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

I'm working on two "big" stories right now, one of which is whimsical and a bit absurd. This one is more serious. I find I do less info-dumping in my story if I as the writer have a detailed understanding of the world I built. I guess it's because if I know why things are the way they are, it's easier to write those things as if they are second nature to the characters.

DOES ONE OF THEM INVOLVE SEBASTIAN THE TALKING PIG

IF NOT

WHY NOT

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

Yep, that would be the whimsical one. I just have this need to torment myself with spergy world building after spending a bunch of time writing the dialog and characterization of a talking pig who rides around on a sea ship that goes in space (but it's not really space, it's like, this whole other thing [Plus there's air there {or maybe they just don't breath, IDK}]).

Thanks for the thought food, Beef.

Yay! Have you read Gene Wolfe's Urth of the New Sun? It's not a great book (and marks the point after which I stopped liking his stuff) but it has one hell of a void schooner or w/e the heck you want to call it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

It was my Thunderdome action entry! From two weeks ago, I think? I was just playing around with the characters/setting. I'll be posting more work from that story in the Farm here in a short bit, I think.

Here it is

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martello posted:

It's called comma-splicing and the Bohner hates it. I love them but since he sees a lot of my stuff I usually reluctantly cut 'em. He can elaborate on why they're so awful, or conversely why he's such an awful person.

I like it as a a tool for varying rhythm, it gives a sentence more energy for when you want that. 'And' has a more deliberate feel. But like anything else it can be overused. Often you should just ditch the splice and split them up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

systran posted:

When writing less than 1,500 word pieces, what are some different ways to go about structuring and then editing?

I've learned that I can rattle out a piece pretty fast, but I think what matters is a central conflict that is the right size for the story's length. My process is to muse about ways I could address the prompt for a few days, mentally crossing off avenues and exploring new ones, then sit down with a few hours to go and write it. I edit as I go, stripping out needless/bad words and keep an eye on the wordcount to make sure no new characters are introduced past the 1/3 mark and the last third is roughly directed towards denouement.

E: ^^^ lots of good stuff in those two.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 24, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Yeah. I tend to ramble when I'm not sure what the most succinct way is to say what I want to say, like in this case. I'm aware that IRC would be full of goons, but it seems like it might be a bit more casual than a forum post that everyone can see and scrutinize.

Not really interested in writing short fiction, it's never really clicked with me. The ego problem boils down to an atrophied thick skin and a lot of self-confidence issues. Also hubris.

The main problem is that I want help editing--real, one-on-one help with an understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish by the end of the story-- and since my editor friend is kinda touch-and-go at the moment, it's impossible to find anyone willing to read something that's over 200 pages. I've tried editing by my lonesome but an objective eye towards my own work is not something that comes easily to me.

Link me to it and I'll have a look.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

One of these days, magnificent7, I'm gonna challenge you to a throwdown.

Just do it. Here, I'll make it easy:

BRAWL: magnificent7 vs Can'tDecideOnAName

Length: 1000 words

Due: Thursday midnight PST.

Prompt: A secret that should never be told.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

I demand that I preside over this.

edit: drat YOU ^^^^^^

ALL NEMESIS ALL THE TIME BABY

we can co-judge, assuming one or both doesn't wuss out

quote:

Random question I already posed to some people, to a mixed response: When writing about ancient/prehistoric people, do you prefer "made up" sounding names, or more literal ones? Like I might call a cave man Grud or something. But since in his language "Grud" means "that greenish moss stuff that grows on rocks," maybe to his people the literal name is actually something like GreenRock or whatever.

I have seen both approaches done to carying degrees of success, but I was wondering what your guys' feelings were.

I like descriptive names, because it actually makes it more alien - gives a feeling of stories living in the names that people carry around with them. Gene Wolfe does this brilliantly in his Soldier of Arete/Mist books, the Spartans are called the Rope makers, Athens is called Thought, Thebes is called Hill (I think?). It can be twee if done badly of course.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 29, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Oh. This was for rill? I didn't do it! I have failed.

WRITE A STORY.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Holy hell, you're the worst. OK, victory goes to CantDecideOnAName by default.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you ever find your characters answering each others' questions, rewrite.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Overwined posted:

It's part of show, don't tell.

A: "Why would you do this to me?"
B: "Well you see when I was a child I was neglected by my parents and blah blah blah."

You achieve a lot more with a deflection which would be much more likely in this scenario anyway. I don't for the record think he means answering a simple need for information like:

A: "How many houses did you sell?"
B: "Four."

But in reality there aren't too many requests for information that aren't loving boring and really don't belong in the first place.

Personally, a "rule" like this is just something to make you self-aware. No it's in no way absolute and if sebmojo is trying to say that then I say fiddlesticks. However, it is a good thing to make you ask, "Hmmm, I'm getting a lot of asked and responded dialogue. Does this scan well? Does it need to be in my fiction?"

For example, one good exception I can think of is perhaps when a character is asking a series of questions and the other character is answering elusively and the first character keeps re-phrasing the question. Obviously you wouldn't want this to drag on for too long, but it would show both the over-inquisitive nature of the first character and the evasive nature of the second.

Yeah, pretty much that. If you have two characters asking and answering each other in a simple direct way (unless that's explicitly the point) then you should probably be conveying the information in another way.

Of course it's not a absolute rule, but it works very well as a rule of thumb for non-sucky dialogue - not least because it takes away a crutch, since you have to keep finding interesting ways for the characters to avoid answering each others' questions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

asap-salafi posted:

I totally understand and I'm willing to put in the hard work and deal with my crappy writing skills. I just needed to know what I should be doing, so thanks for the advice. I'll keep my dreams in my head for the time being and focus on writing a short story.

I didn't say that I wanted to write Medieval Fantasy but why is this the case?

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for the replies. I was expecting you all to shout at me.

Honestly - come on over to the 'dome. You cannot help but improve.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

asap-salafi posted:

Yeah it looks cool, I will after a few weeks. I really like my avatar though and it would destroy me if I came last. Can't they have a week where you don't get that horrible "THUNDERDOME LOSER" tag? :iamafag:

Absolutely not. But if you have a story with a beginning, middle and end, no major grammatical errors and recognisably human characters I guarantee you will not lose a round.* And, c'mon, you won't wager $5 on your writing?

*No actual guarantee provided

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Speaking of people who should have a losertar and don't.

Yes, join Thunderdome. Even if you don't join for a couple of weeks like you say you won't, read the entries, read the crits. Observe and learn and then jump in.

Ahhhh good point. I will set the wheels in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

As a mild counternote I've had a couple of 'dome stories where I didn't spend enough time joining the dots and should have added a line or two explaining what I meant (specifically this one and this one). In both cases I knew exactly what was supposed to be happening but didn't convey that well enough. So I guess the solution is to write the story and ask people what they think happens, and if no one gets it then add a bit of clarification.

• Locked thread