Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thunderdome is probably the answer to your particular dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

There was a discussion awhile back aboot world building and why you shouldn't make your audience suffer by cramming out into their eyeballs. Anyone got a link to that article?

Probably one of DocK's, I'll have a look.

e: Sorry man, i couldn't find it - here's Doctor Kloctopussy's posts in the thread, it might not be in there but you can't go wrong by reading them anyway :)

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 24, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, definitely post it in a thread of its own.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

I think Stephen King said once that the key to horror is taking something and asking "how can I make this worse?" And then ratcheting that up over the course of the story. Carrie is about bullying, and Pet Semetary is about grief, and those are really mundane concepts really.

Threaten a character we care about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a free clone of scrivener, name escapes me though. It's probably what you're looking for.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

someone should do the world a favor and burn my writing, but lol it's in the cloud

I am really struggling with the idea that someone in 2016 with a laptop wouldn't back their poo poo up online

He was afraid someone would steal his ideas

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

how do yall get feedback on your books. i dont know any like writer groups or anything that would be willing to trade me reading their garbage for mine. do i just use like meetup.com or something or what

tinder

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naerasa posted:

I did the same thing. Tindr is also good though, especially since you can get double the value by getting valuable feedback on sex.

Show don't tell

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Keromaru5 posted:

I went to a critique group's monthly meeting last night, only to find out I'd misread the schedule. It was actually on Tuesday.

if you want to write, you must also read it is very important

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

vintagepurple posted:

Hey fiction thread. I've been trawling through this thread off-and-on and am still a good 2 years behind, but I wanted to say, at the tail end of a lovely relationship I drunkenly stumbled upon this thread and somehow it convinced me to take writing, an old dream, seriously instead of writing myself off (lol). I've been doing Writing Excuses prompts, flash fiction, and trying to hit 1000 words a day. The occasional short story, trying to work myself up to being decent, and mulling book ideas once I feel I can tackle that. Somehow my love of writing and english has translated into finding my calling and now I'm poised to actually finish my degree and then either tackle a law school or medieval lit academia track later on. This is after six years of job-and-school drifting and being inspired and driven is foreign to me. So thanks thread.

I did my first thunderdome today and had a family death a few hours after signing up, forgot about the dome for a bit. but I managed to poo poo out a bad story Sunday before the deadline and bad though it is I couldn't have done even that six months ago.

I hope I can do you proud thread, tbh clicking on the TD thread and reading my crits terrifies me.

crits that aren't praise are always terrifying, but always good, because you want to be better. we all do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I've been typing up this story for a while that I plan on turning into a comic when I'm done with it. Do I post what I have so far (it's written so far) on here?

make a thread, then come back and link it here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

With regards to it not 'feeling fresh' I can say that constantly poking and prodding with little changes and tune-ups has definitely resulted in my better TD stories.

I have a similar but different problem.
My proofreading is loving miserable.
By the time I've read through and retooled the wording of a story a dozen or so times I'm literally blind to any of the typographical or grammatical errors.
I've tried changing font, alignment, page layout, page size, font color, everything really and just can't help but skim over what my brain takes for granted is already there.
Anybody else have that issue and have any ideas as to how to resolve it?

maybe just fix your regular errors one at a time? i think the only recurring errors with your last one were the sentence fragments (which can be used with care) and dialogue punctuation (," he said.). they're easy to check for in your last read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

There's nothing to bloat your wordcount like a protagonist who pauses after every loving line of dialogue to consider possible hidden meanings, clues about secret alliances, and ramifications for the grand global conspiracy

late_gene_wolfe.txt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here's another reading, Kaishai's For Life

Beige posted:

This is wonderful. Both the story and the reading. Please say there are more.

thanks - happy to read stories on request

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Surreptitious Muffin just posted a new fiction farm thread, so if you've got something short you've been sitting on then chuck it in there for a crit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mag7 you are sort of asking WHAT IS THE X FACTOR and apart from saying it's maybe literary (novel as art) vs genre (novel as predictable unit of entertainment) it really comes down to amazing writers writing amazing books. Writing the book you want to read is a good start, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

im not reading you on this, is this a joke?

He is serious books are p bad my friend

• Locked thread