Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Testro posted:

Libraries are wonderful

I haven't had a library card in years, but you've inspired me to go out later today and get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Chillmatic posted:

This is why I stick to the passive-agressive voice in my writing.

We know. :colbert:

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I honestly wish I'd gotten in on it a year or two ago.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
He'll pretty much have to run around looking for a safe place to throw it for a few sight gags until the timer runs out. Then the guard has to look at the camera, grimace, and wave good-bye just before it explodes.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
None whatsoever, unless that's your area of expertise and you're writing about writing. But if that's the case you'll have other writing credits.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Generally speaking every title that isn't very specific and elaborate has already been used, so don't sweat it.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Adventures in Zombiesitting
Bringing Up Corpsy
Weekend at Zombie's
Step-Zombie
Of Children And The Dead
Dead Things Should Not Play With Children
Kidzombie
Zom-brats
Uncle Zombie's Closet of Secrets

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I don't think there's any kind of "right" length for a paragraph. Literally as short as you can make them and still get your point across, I guess. It's a good idea to mix it up, though, so that you're not springing monolithic blocks of prose on your readers.

Some long paragraphs, some short, you know?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Well, yes. You should have a reason for everything you do. Pacing, word choice, structure. It should all be chosen with intent.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

eating only apples posted:

As fond as I am of Eddings's work, and especially the Elenium, it is nothing if not generic. You're probably in the clear. If anything I'd suggest doing more work on your character to make her less generic, because Aphrael wasn't exactly original even when Eddings wrote her. Eddings has a fascinating, engaging writing style, but he's fantasy-by-numbers. Try not to be like him.

Yeah, didn't Eddings specifically set out to use every generic fantasy trope?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Oh poo poo, I just remembered that I have a blogger. I should... probably post to it.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

But with novels, I enjoy the process of reading, but I end up revolted by the subject matter most of the time or I can't understand it.

I think this may be one of the most bizarre things I've ever hard anyone say.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
There's no need for "experts" when dealing with the straightforward. They focus on The Old Man and the Sea because they have more to say about it.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I've heard from editors that they pretty much assume that everyone simultaneously submits even if they don't allow it, just have the courtesy to let them know asap if you decide to publish elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My latest story has me pretending I know how to write Mayan. I found a Mayan-Spanish dictionary online, so I run English>Spanish through google translate and then approximate the words.

• Locked thread