Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

literally

Like, brawl them literally with your hands and feet and forehead, not literally have a literary non-literal brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
There's no rule against putting dialogue tags in front though, so

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Stuporstar posted:

You will know when it's time to break the rules, because you will know the rule and why you're breaking it.

But you will only know if you did so successfully if people read your work and they tell you—or if you make tons of money on it, whatevs.

please use contractions more consistently

tia

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
scridiot remember that time in irc when I said you were pretty alright

i think i was wrong

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's just that there isn't a genre that isn't over-saturated; my concern was how to transition what notoriety one might possess to one's preferred work.

So...what the gently caress are you writing that doesn't have an audience?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
To add to systran's post

If you have a job, treat your writing like night school homework. You HAVE to finish it before you get to play vidgames or watch TV or whatever non-writing fun stuff you do when you're not at work.

Otherwise, if you're like me, you'll go "yeah I'll do some writing AFTER I play an hour or two of XCOM: Enemy Within" and then five hours later it's time to go to bed.

And if you're married, get your spouse onboard with some kind of daily writing quota so she/he/it won't be dominating your writing time completely.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

GIlmore girls is a great example of what not to do with dialogue.

lol where's chillmatic

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I really wish Chillmatic would come back to this thread and flip his poo poo when he sees you disparaging Gilmore Girls dialogue.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Don't worry, I got you covered:

edit:

Haha thanks

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Death & Co. is a really good one

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
just stream yourself explaining to the thread your top-secret chosen snowflake genre

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
lol

stop jogging and lift heavy weights

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I always listen to music when writing. Depends on my mood and what I'm writing but it could be anything from viking metal to Shadowrun Returns soundtrack to Armenian string music.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
On the music thing, here's a great post with links to a lot of music that I find is perfect background for writing: Music Masterpost for Studying/Concentration. Currently listening to the Remember Me OST and knocking out my daily writing goal for The Long Walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
wait

• Locked thread