Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

DrakIris posted:

I suppose I'll just use my own, need to break it in anyway :D So loving excited, I can hardly get to sleep at night. Looks like the class will only be half full or so.

Half class (6 students) is usually better, you get more time on the range, unless someone does some thing exceptionally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Good luck! Remember to relax, and if you don't get how to do something, just ask. The instructors are there to help you get good (as you can in 2 days) at this, and if you don't understand or it's not working, ask. I wish I'd done this the first time I took the class, The Box would have been a snap.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I could have sworn the website showed their class sizes at 8, but if it's 12 and reduced by half then thats rather cool. I'm well aware that I need to keep calm, but we'll see if my preformance anxiety thinks the same. Currently enjoying the hell that is being a newbie to gear, on a budget. I have a feeling this will be less of a problem with time and experience with what fits me from whatever brands.

I'm intending to try and commute on it, which some nagging voice in the back of my head says thats a bad idea, but most of me us utterly excited at the prospect. Thanks for having what seems to be a pretty awesome forum about here, it's really kinda helping build and temper my hype

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Relaxing was huge. The mental part killed me and i blew the braking test the first time. Reved the throttle as i applied the brake, panicked and let go of the brake and rolled through the brake box 15 feet too many.

I had been mugged at knife point that morning at 1 am, had not slept and was in no condition to pass the test.

Repeated two days the following weekend and it was a goddamn breeze. Every exercise was fun and it felt natural. I'm glad i got the extra time to practice and not psych myself out on a bad mood.

I got 6 points, mostly for not going fast enough and crossing the figure 8 box twice. Also i could have looked farther into a wide turn.

Sleep/eat/hydrate/relax.

Now i have a bike and am nervous/anxious to roll out of the drive way this week.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A little bit is healthy. Find somewhere close to you with a few turns and little traffic to practice a bit. Cemeteries and parks can be good, or just little neighborhoods.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Some cemeteries are drat nice to go practice in. Just be mindful if there are people about. No sense rolling a wheelie at full throttle with an open pipe during a funeral. Unless that's what the newly interred wanted.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Skreemer posted:

Some cemeteries are drat nice to go practice in. Just be mindful if there are people about. No sense rolling a wheelie at full throttle with an open pipe during a funeral. Unless that's what the newly interred wanted.

"BORN TO RIDE"

That's what it's gonna say on my tombstone. And yes, I want an open pipe + wheelies at my funeral.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

nsaP posted:

A little bit is healthy. Find somewhere close to you with a few turns and little traffic to practice a bit. Cemeteries and parks can be good, or just little neighborhoods.

I have a few places 1 mile from me. It's my drat slanted/crowned driveway and living on a steep hill that concerns me. Just pushing my bike up the driveway was exhausting.

I will gopro my first ride for comedy purposes.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

What insurance levels you guys have? Ive got an older bike and am a new rider. For some reason motorcycle insurance seems more confusing than car insurance.

Maybe motorcycle insurance seems more likely to be used and thus the coverage levels are more important?

mrlego fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 21, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Comprehensive is highly recommended, it will cover theft, vandalism, acts of god, etc. Liability is legally required usually, covers damage to other cars/property if you hit it.

Collision is optional. Will cover your bike if you drop it or have a single vehicle accident (target fixate your way into a ditch). Though considering the rate hike if you file a claim it may be cheaper to fix it yourself. I opted to keep collision for the first year or two, and drop it after that (just started my second year last month, I'll probably keep it for another year, then drop it next fall).

Assuming you make it through the first month without doing anything stupid, and don't do dumb poo poo like drink and ride, you are statistically most likely to have an accident in your second and third years, that's the point when your confidence will exceed your skill level and you will push the bike too hard not realizing how close to the limits you are already, so keep that in mind and be careful.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

I have a few places 1 mile from me. It's my drat slanted/crowned driveway and living on a steep hill that concerns me. Just pushing my bike up the driveway was exhausting.

I will gopro my first ride for comedy purposes.

Just ride the clutch a ton and rev the throttle like a maniac on your hill and you'll be fine, I'd think. In that way motorcycles are way better than cars - you can ride the clutch like crazy so don't have to worry about stalling.

Tanbo posted:

Comprehensive is highly recommended, it will cover theft, vandalism, acts of god, etc. Liability is legally required usually, covers damage to other cars/property if you hit it.

Collision is optional. Will cover your bike if you drop it or have a single vehicle accident (target fixate your way into a ditch). Though considering the rate hike if you file a claim it may be cheaper to fix it yourself. I opted to keep collision for the first year or two, and drop it after that (just started my second year last month, I'll probably keep it for another year, then drop it next fall).

Assuming you make it through the first month without doing anything stupid, and don't do dumb poo poo like drink and ride, you are statistically most likely to have an accident in your second and third years, that's the point when your confidence will exceed your skill level and you will push the bike too hard not realizing how close to the limits you are already, so keep that in mind and be careful.

Isn't it the first six months? Otherwise, I think your coverage levels should depend a great deal on your finances. If you have a huge beautiful mansion in bel air then you want a much higher level of liability than you would if you're living with family in that same mansion. For collision I'd base it on how good you are at fixing the bike and how much you scare (and I don't mean that in a bad way). If you're going to not ride ever again after an accident then you probably want the money you'd get for the bike from insurance because the rate hike won't matter if you cancel your insurance anyway. If, on the other hand, you can fix your own fairings/whatever else broke then you're far less likely to need/want to make a claim on your collision insurance. I'd get both, but that's more a reflection on my risk tolerance than anything else.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best advice given on clutch control for new riders is "slip the clutch like you hate it", just ride the poo poo out of that point where it starts to engage until you've gotten moving.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

The best advice given on clutch control for new riders is "slip the clutch like you hate it", just ride the poo poo out of that point where it starts to engage until you've gotten moving.

That is going to take some getting used to coming from car transmissions.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

This is the only advice I wish they had told me in the MSF on day one. I was trying to stay off the clutch a good part of the first day and ended up stalling out a lot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DrakIris posted:

That is going to take some getting used to coming from car transmissions.

Like just imagine it's a pile of crap and the second that clutch goes, you get a shiny new car. That's about the right attitude.

When you're on a dirtbike, you will burn the clutch to stop the engine from lugging up a hill, on a 2 stroke you will ride it to keep the bike on the pipe, they take abuse like no one's business.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Now that we're getting into the fall and winter and lots of folks in the Northern Hemispher may be thinking twice before venturing out into nasty weather for that Sunday joy ride, it should be mentioned that this is a great time of year to read about motorcycle riding, preferably while warm and dry and inside. Furthering your riding knowledge through book learning isn't quite as effective as actual practice, but it can help introduce you to new concepts, or jog your memory about stuff you've forgotten.

My personal favorite for new riders is a book called "Proficient Motorcycling". It's Motorcycling 101 in book form, and is a good reference for even experienced riders. I'm also a big fan of "Total Control" and "Twist of the Wrist". Even though they're written for racers and sport bike riders, the info applies to almost any motorcycle or scooter.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What is it about motorcycle clutches that allows you to be so abusive? I've never heard about this before.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wet clutch, i.e. it's bathed in oil.

The clutch in a car is typically dry and if you slip it too much you wear out the friction plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch#Wet_.26_dry

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Goredema posted:

My personal favorite for new riders is a book called "Proficient Motorcycling". I'm also a big fan of "Total Control" and "Twist of the Wrist."

That Hough book is great. I was at a wedding and mentioned to a stranger i was taking the MSF. He went home and brought Proficient Motorcycling and the sequel Book. I've also been watching Twist of the Wrist on youtube. Interesting stuff.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

Just ride the clutch a ton and rev the throttle like a maniac on your hill and you'll be fine, I'd think. In that way motorcycles are way better than cars - you can ride the clutch like crazy so don't have to worry about stalling.

:Insurance Talk:

Thanks! Definitely have a lot to practice on my street hill. Stalled about ten times yesterday. I know i should be giving it more gas and less clutch.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

The clutch in a car is typically dry and if you slip it too much you wear out the friction plates.

Also multiplate clutches in bikes so there's a lot more friction surface.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

Thanks! Definitely have a lot to practice on my street hill. Stalled about ten times yesterday. I know i should be giving it more gas and less clutch.

More gas and more clutch!

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

More gas and more clutch!

By more clutch, that is holding the clutch in almost all the way?

Also, i figure it is easier to stop and hold place on a hill using the foot/rear brake. I have issues holding the front brake and rolling the throttle at the same time on a hill.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He means ride the clutch more, meaning it's ok to hold it in the friction zone to get things moving.

On steep hills, I use my front brake until I'm ready to move, then I switch to the rear brake which frees up my throttle hand. Not sure if this is the recommended move, but it's always worked for me.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

On steep hills, I use my front brake until I'm ready to move, then I switch to the rear brake which frees up my throttle hand. Not sure if this is the recommended move, but it's always worked for me.

That's exactly how the experts say to do it: use the rear brake / foot brake to hold the bike in place, give it gas, start to ease off the clutch, and then as you feel the bike start to straing forward, slowly ease off the rear brake. As with all control inputs on a motorcycle, the key is to not grab anything. Just gradually ease in each lever or throttle or foot control, and then ease it out. It's all about being smooth with control inputs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Collateral Damage posted:

A lot of BMWs still have dry clutches; Ducatis too, I think. I don't abuse my clutch, but I don't cry either about using it to help me when it's needed.

Goredema posted:

That's exactly how the experts say to do it: use the rear brake / foot brake to hold the bike in place, give it gas, start to ease off the clutch, and then as you feel the bike start to straing forward, slowly ease off the rear brake. As with all control inputs on a motorcycle, the key is to not grab anything. Just gradually ease in each lever or throttle or foot control, and then ease it out. It's all about being smooth with control inputs.

I do the same. It takes a little practice, but is the best way to start on a hill. I'm still not fully comfortable with it 2-up, but I don't ride 2-up very often.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MoraleHazard posted:

A lot of BMWs still have dry clutches; Ducatis too, I think.
BMW only has one or two at most with the old engines now. They're switching all over to the new water cooled setup with a wet multiplate. And they generally are less easy to use than a wet clutch. The pre-EFI BMWs have a friction zone about a millimeter wide on the lever, they take some getting used to.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
First range day is finished, sore. Was a utter blast though and well worth the cost :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DrakIris posted:

First range day is finished, sore. Was a utter blast though and well worth the cost :D

Good luck on the test tomorrow!

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

builds character posted:

Good luck on the test tomorrow!

Thanks! I'm loving exhausted, I work nights and this waking up in the morning poo poo is killer, pretty good time though and reaffirmed me wanting to get into this. I can't wait to finish and get the rest of my stuff together. Thankfully Austin tends to have mostly mild winters.
*EDIT*
I can now competently ride in parking lots! Also aced the u-turn box :smug:

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 26, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

DrakIris posted:

Thanks! I'm loving exhausted, I work nights and this waking up in the morning poo poo is killer, pretty good time though and reaffirmed me wanting to get into this. I can't wait to finish and get the rest of my stuff together. Thankfully Austin tends to have mostly mild winters.
*EDIT*

Congrats. Practice a bunch more and get some miles done. I'm up in Dallas where we have to really travel a bit to find some nice corners and roads. Down in Austin you at least have them "local".

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

DrakIris posted:

*EDIT*

I wish I had seen this thread before I passed my course, I could have yaked with all you guys.

Now I get to go annoy everyone in kdc67's megathread as I figure out what I am going to get, and trying to get some help figuring out what sucks and what doesnt.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Skreemer posted:

Congrats. Practice a bunch more and get some miles done. I'm up in Dallas where we have to really travel a bit to find some nice corners and roads. Down in Austin you at least have them "local".

Yeah I hardly feel all that *ready* from the class, but thinking on it it's a really, really good primer for "You know the rules of the road, have no loving idea how to actually ride a motorbike, HERE YOU GO, THE BASICS!" All around was a utter blast, even if I had to gently caress my sleep cycle up hard. Currently OCD planning to get decent enough gear on the cheap enough to start riding soon.

I keep wanting to travel up to Dallas because I'm a dirty raver and miss bouncing around all night spinning glowy poo poo. (The scene here is non-existent from what I can tell) Would be a wonderful excuse for distance riding when I have some confidence on freeways. Head up, find somewhere convenient to park/hide my bike, taxi/walk to sleep place after being a moron for a night and then find it in the morning. Or if sober AND not so tired that balance on is hard, take it to zzzzz place :V

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

DrakIris posted:

Yeah I hardly feel all that *ready* from the class, but thinking on it it's a really, really good primer for "You know the rules of the road, have no loving idea how to actually ride a motorbike, HERE YOU GO, THE BASICS!" All around was a utter blast, even if I had to gently caress my sleep cycle up hard. Currently OCD planning to get decent enough gear on the cheap enough to start riding soon.

I keep wanting to travel up to Dallas because I'm a dirty raver and miss bouncing around all night spinning glowy poo poo. (The scene here is non-existent from what I can tell) Would be a wonderful excuse for distance riding when I have some confidence on freeways. Head up, find somewhere convenient to park/hide my bike, taxi/walk to sleep place after being a moron for a night and then find it in the morning. Or if sober AND not so tired that balance on is hard, take it to zzzzz place :V

I go down there every few months to bug some folks I know and catch the GP races. If you're up here, I live in the metroplex area but I'm more than happy to ride about/share the area.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
[UK goon] looking at getting into bikes for commuting purposes because of those attractive mileage numbers and the relatively attainable up front cost (plus I don't foresee having anywhere to park a car for like the next 15 years at least).

Is there anything in particular I should know/do/have before calling up my local CBT provider, or should I just quit stalling and go for it?

Mostly I'm leery of accidentally picking a bad school, my first car driving instructor was completely awful and gave me a ton of bad habits, and I didn't really become comfortable on the road until after I totalled my parents' Micra and quit driving entirely for over three years :v:

e/ this is an experience I would like to not have to repeat on a bike, is what I'm saying

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 2, 2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

DrakIris posted:

Which school did you end up going through in Austin?
I went through Austin Moto Academy. They were some legit dudes.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Minkee posted:

Which school did you end up going through in Austin?
I went through Austin Moto Academy. They were some legit dudes.

Same people, and yeah they really are. Just working on getting on the pieces in place to actually buy my bike. So tense and antsy waiting D:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Renaissance Robot posted:

[UK goon] looking at getting into bikes for commuting purposes because of those attractive mileage numbers and the relatively attainable up front cost (plus I don't foresee having anywhere to park a car for like the next 15 years at least).

Is there anything in particular I should know/do/have before calling up my local CBT provider, or should I just quit stalling and go for it?

Mostly I'm leery of accidentally picking a bad school, my first car driving instructor was completely awful and gave me a ton of bad habits, and I didn't really become comfortable on the road until after I totalled my parents' Micra and quit driving entirely for over three years :v:

e/ this is an experience I would like to not have to repeat on a bike, is what I'm saying

I went through my MSF a few weeks ago, and had a guy I didn't like very much. Despite that, he taught what i needed to learn to pass the tests and ride safely.

I'm guessing you have something similar there: a course that is prescribed by the govt in order to get your license. As long as you can be an adult and learn from someone that might be a bit of a jerk, and you can do the exercises, you should be okay.

I'm betting there are riding clubs in your area where you can get suggestions, thats probably your best bet.

Here is an example of the one for Texas, in the USA. I am betting most of the skills you need are the same, except for a few (namely which side of the road to ride on!)

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 3, 2014

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I think I might have pushed myself a bit (too) hard but managed to make it through okay, I just got my first bike today, it's damp and lovely and cold and I still did my first real on-road ride to get to work. Only part that were really freezing at the end are my hands, so I need better gloves but fuuuuuck was that a blast. Helmets need built in wipers some how :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

DrakIris posted:

I think I might have pushed myself a bit (too) hard but managed to make it through okay, I just got my first bike today, it's damp and lovely and cold and I still did my first real on-road ride to get to work. Only part that were really freezing at the end are my hands, so I need better gloves but fuuuuuck was that a blast. Helmets need built in wipers some how :V

Internet tells me this works.

I just use my entire hand. Works too.

• Locked thread