Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm glad they're not doing any of that nonsense in Illinois. I did badly enough on my evaluation without surprise boxes and unexplained stop signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's what our guys said in Chicago. It was the DMV-hosted free MSF course, and they said several times before the evaluation for us to get our questions out of the way beforehand because during the thing they would not be able to provide any explanation other that what is directly printed on the cards. They were cool guys before (and after) the testing, but it was funny, they became VERY SERIOUS while the evaluation was going on.

"Candidate must clearly and legibly ride the motorcycle on a path tracing his or her own name in cursive script within box. Points will be deducted for the following: Riding outside of the lines, putting a foot down, and bad penmanship. Would you like me to read it again?"

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 23, 2013

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Optimus Subprime posted:

I don't have any prior experience with motorcycles, but I ride bikes everyday, and I drive a manual car. I understand the general concept of how motorcycles work, should I do some prep work before my class starts?

I was in the exact same situation, and I did fine. The bicycle thing didn't help as much as I thought because they are SO drat HEAVY. But the first time I rode across the parking lot and took my feet off the ground and put them onto the pegs was magical.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I can still hear my instructor's voice yelling, "START 'EM UP, FINE-C!" every time I sit on the bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HiggsBoson81 posted:

I'm coming from a lot of mountain biking so I'm trying to figure out what to do with/about my habit which is to keep 2 fingers on both levers at all times.

I was doing this in my MSF also, and also because of mountain biking. I'm just so used to riding around with a couple fingers resting on the brake lever, and braking with just 2 fingers, which the MSF instructor had to remind me not to do.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
On the second riding day of mine, we rode around in a huge rectangle shifting up to third on the long sides and down to second on the short sides, over and over and over. It was pretty fun, but it was also great shifting practice, and I really got the hang of using the left foot and the left hand together. I felt like a real motorcyclist!

Thinking back on all the MSF stuff now, it seems like it would be really boring to do all that stuff, but on the other hand, I have a little 250 MSF bike myself and I have a ton of fun on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I think it's hard to understand until you realize that counter-steering is a momentary action. You push the bars/grip in the "wrong" direction for just a half second, just enough time for the bike to sort of fall into the hole you created, and then the bars are steering in the other direction. It's hard to explain something that just sort of happens, but it helps a lot with avoidance maneuvers if you're aware of what to do instead of trying to panic-steer with your shoulders or feet. Once you actively use countersteering on the street, the bike changes direction surprisingly quickly.

• Locked thread