Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, fine.

I am making gently caress You Erick Wujcik, a game about bored immortal royalty who can travel trans-dimensionally competing for prestige so they can dick each other over in front of their dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I am really confused about the stages. So, we have to turn something in for each stage, but there are no rules as to what that something must be, just some update or addition to our game, and it must be completed by the 24th. Am I missing something?

Edit: To be clear, I am not critiquing! I am very happy with the rules of this contest, Comrade Lord RulebookHeavily. I shall return to my assigned posting pod at once.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That is no problem at all!

Part of what this contest entails is your ability to organize your rules in a way that makes sense for the game you're making. The full contents of what I expect from the final product are in rule 6, but ultimately how you decide to go about splitting your stuff into modules is your process to deal with. And you will be graded on how well it works, too.

I suggest using your Outline/Design Document to plan this.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
Quick clarification query.

You state that you want the rules and characters for a playtest, then you state you want guidelines for running a playtest. Are you expecting both? By guidelines do you mean dm advice or ?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Benedict posted:

Quick clarification query.

You state that you want the rules and characters for a playtest, then you state you want guidelines for running a playtest. Are you expecting both? By guidelines do you mean dm advice or ?

DM advice and any other advice you see fit to mention, yes. A "How to play/Run this game" bit will not go amiss. Yes, that can mean a "what is Roleplaying?" section.

What these vague unhelpful instructions actually mean is left as an exercise for the contestants.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I am making a shadow entry since I am technically immune to EXILE and mine will likely be silly.

Prepare for PINTS AND PILSNERS, a savage conflict in a world gone mad.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I'm considering signing up for this contest. I've got an idea for a game where you play a wizard trying to accomplish a singular goal while the world conspires against you, and the main resolution mechanic is a trick-taking game that uses tarot cards. Just wanna make sure that I have a clear concept before I throw my hat in the ring officially.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Winson_Paine posted:

I am making a shadow entry since I am technically immune to EXILE and mine will likely be silly.

Prepare for PINTS AND PILSNERS, a savage conflict in a world gone mad.

A LARP game where you play bar patrons, ideally without the hosting establishment realizing. Surreal.

Ettin posted:

Alright, better pitch!

Retrocausality is a game about time travel.

The details aren't important. Someone discovered the Heinlein boson or messed around with wormholes or something, there was a lot of science, an arbitrary number of dictators were killed, whatever. It was all very confusing. The important thing is that you can time travel. You probably went back in time to teach yourself. Now you get to muck around in history, defend it from people who want to muck around with it in ways you don't like, and for the love of God, do not make things worse.

(Retrocausality is also a game about making things worse.)

Not only is it not important, but if time travel has multiple realizability, perhaps the 'original' means aren't even that clearly defined, what with people going back in time to teach others other means of time travel before time travel is discovered in an attempt to be the one on top "when" the post-time revolution came.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and throw my hat in!

Princes: A game of court politics.

The game will be about dealing with multiple people, both players and NPCs in order to achieve goals. The setting-dressing will come in the form of some fictional city-state with plenty of rich merchants and old landowners who all practice the art of ruling.

There might be some dueling in the game. The rules will be incredibly deadly, unfair, and exceedingly simple. Getting into a duel will be a bad idea, but convincing two of your rivals to duel one another? That could be a win/win no matter the outcome.

The only other combat in the game is that maybe there are some wars going on elsewhere. Again, this is probably more about either having a character (or more likely being friends with a character) that rocked some faces in said war and having some extra voice when he/she comes back, or temporarily manipulating the local court by getting a lord involved in those wars (and out of the fair city's walls). Again, simple mechanics that will probably not be very rewarding for most players.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Bleah. I want to make a game about the Regency with no combat, but theoretically the game they pay me to work on is shipping in August, and those deadlines look like tombstones to me.

Maybe I'll just make it anyway, independent of the contest, and share it separately so I can flake on deadlines any time I feel the need.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Alright, I'm throwing in my submission. My game is called Dungeon Manager.

Congratulations! You've defeated the monster king, ransacked his dungeon, and saved the princess! The easy part is done. Now, it's time to divide up the rewards. The King has given you the dungeon you cleared out and some servants to help you put the place back together. In addition, the dungeon has lots of money and denizens of its own, that you can put to use as you see fit. What does your character want to convert the dungeon into? What do the other players want to do with it? And how can you possibly make it both an orphanage and an alchemical laboratory without the kids getting caught on fire?

I'll be using a deck of playing cards for a resource management mechanic, and the goal of the game is to use your resources to leverage the other players to get what you want. Of course, they are your adventuring companions and allies - you wouldn't smash up your allies, would you?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My idea was based on dealing with supernatural threats like poltergeists, demons, and fae by understanding the rules which govern them and ruleslawyering them into doing what you want them to.

However, just daydreaming about how it could fit together showed me it wouldn't be much fun to create, so I'm just going to officially stop here, before the start date.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You had not officially entered, so ZeeToo narrowly escapes The Wall of Shame.

Did I not mention? One way trip, everybody.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Is doing shots an adequate diceless mechanic?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Sure, that has a one in six chance of killing you.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Throwing my hat in the ring with MeldLine, a racing game in the far future where racing… meets Rummikub! Also, I'll probably eventually change the title, since I kind of just pulled it out of my rear end.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Throwing my hat into the ring. I am gonna enter at some point.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Actually, I'm not going to be entering, I have too much poo poo on my plate already in August, so I'd probably not make the deadline and be etched in the wall of shame. However, I would like to see someone use scrabble tiles as a resource/randomization mechanic- it's what I was planning on using.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I've already tossed a couple ideas for this in the circular bin, including:

Anachronism: A Game of Insufferable Cunts, a game of obnoxious nerds in period costume pretending to be time travelers in public. It sounds fun, but I don't think I could get anyone here to playtest it.

Boys & Girls, a conflictless game of adolescent friendships and love designed specifically to be played via PbP. I like the system, the subject matter is a bit...dodgy.

Right now, I'm working on a single-player game. We'll see. I intend to enter, but I'm not throwing my hat in until I have a solid notion to run with.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm getting a lot of cool ideas for Justice Is Blind. It's going to be a game where I crib heavily off of FATE's Aspect system for character building and interactions. The game will tell the story of a group of detectives, prosecutors, and attorneys who are all trying to unravel the truth behind a case. Tons of investigation, police procedure, and courtroom drama involved, with players simultaneously working together (to find the truth) and against each other: the detectives want to solve the crime, the prosecution wants to convict the accused, and the defense wants to clear the defendant's name.

There is going to have to be a really tiny combat subsystem, because in crime-solving stories sometimes someone gets shot at! It's going to be really light though, probably with two actions ("fight" and "flight") with the balance skewed in the favor of getting away from the battle and the penalties for losing combat really severe so that nobody wants to do it anyway. I know this is skirting the edge, but is this okay?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I'd really like to play Dungeon Manager. But I'm going to add my own submission: a game of high-stakes negotiation that I'm tentatively calling Zero Hour until I can think of something better.

You might be a hostage negotiator or a diplomat or a police interrogator, the point is: if combat breaks out you've already lost. Its based loosely off of game theory (which means based off of the half of a book I read by Bruce Bueno De La Mosquita) where the different players rate their goals and the difference between their rating determines the difficulty of the determiner.

Right now I'm thinking of doing coin flips to determine success. Its what we used to do when I was a teenaged hood-rat playing dnd at the local 24 hour diner when we couldn't afford dice and books and homes. I'm not sure if that is acceptable to the rules of this contest seeing as some rpg's have d2 rules that basically involve flipping coins.

The name comes from a game mat which is basically a clock face without hands. It'll be split up into 12 sections that the players will use to determine the rating of their objectives. The GM will have the enemy's goal already worked out (or if I make it pvp they will make seperate charts) and the difference between the 2 parties will determine the difficulty.

Full disclosure: the first name I came up with was Threat Level Midnight. It sounded familiar so I looked it up and, well no, it would be kind of awesome to make a game based on that but no. Then the words "2 minutes to midnight" popped into my head and that's almost as nerdy and awesome but fails to capture the spirit. So it's Zero Hour for now.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I really shouldn't do this, but oh well. Haunted.

Stop me if you heard this before. Five highschool/college kids go out in the middle of the woods to get drunk/laid, and instead get chased around by a guy in a hockey mask wielding a chainsaw? Too cliche? Alright a family moves into a new house, and unfortunately the previous owners haven't left yet even though they've been dead for a hundred years. Still? Fine, You and your fraternity ran over a homeless guy after leaving the bar and one by one your friends are dropping like flies...

You know, Call of Cthulhu is a cool game, but it's always seemed to lean more on the action/mystery side then horror genre. Not that this a bad thing mind you, but there should be a game on the market dedicated to trying to remake the experience of the Amitynville Horror or Sleepaway Camp or Friday the 13.

The game actions will be resolved with cards and chips, with poker essentially being played. Chips being life points/action points/fate points or whatever. I think two sets of poker chips would be needed three for "only life points" (for the GM they'd be called Objectives or Resolution Chips) that can't be regained no matter what and general use ones that can be used for everything. The entire point of the system is to give off a high stakes feel at all times, though I'll be cribbing from Mouse Guard heavily in one regard. Unless really dramatically appropriate, your character succeeds but something goes wrong in the process. Your jock knocks himself out of the meat locker, but now he's drawn the House's attention and focuses in on offing him. Sure you knocked down the door with your ax, but now it broke in half and lays useless on the ground. It's only when the "life" chips are at stake that failure means true failure most of the time.

Getting out Alive is what matters, not Killing the Baddie (they never stay dead anyway) ain't nobody lived that just stood their ground. The Objectives/ Resolutions would be determined during the group before play (like finding the empty graves of the serial killer preacher family or finding out what's what from the old witch on the hill).

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
ICE Breakers

A game about cyberspace, snow crashes, neromancers and punching through ICE.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Put me in for The Rise and Fall of a Galactic Empire a game based around the founding of and the crisis that cause the eventual collapse of a empire that spans the galaxy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

ICE Breakers

A game about cyberspace, snow crashes, neromancers and punching through ICE.

gently caress yessssssssssssssssss.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm thinking about entering with Hostile Takeover: a Game of Corporate Greed in which players assume the roles of shareholders of an unscrupulous international corporation engaging in all sorts of unsavory operations. While centered around intrigue and conflict, it'll avoid combat rules altogether, as from the player's perspective black ops and so are just another type of asset. Mechanics would center around managing your influence and leveraging various assets.

Sadly, I'll probably be off Internet for a week, so I'm not sure if I'll manage to follow the deadlines.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Y'know what, I am going to attempt this despite having no experience and only the haziest of ideas. FAILURE LEADS TO KNOWLEDGE.

Demiurge, a game about the creation of the universe. You're a creator god. Not THE god, mind you, just one of the many under the Supreme God assigned to create yet another reality. You've just finished your first one and were feeling pretty good until you noticed that you screwed up, misplaced, or left out certain key features of any functioning universe. And you can see, just over the metaphorical horizon, a squad of your fellow demiurges coming to test out your new creation and try to run it into the ground.

Can you patch reality so that they don't find the flaws? Can they expose all of your mistakes and make you look like a jerk? Better hurry, you've only got until the end of time before the Supreme shows up to judge your work.

So that's the idea. Now I just have to come up with mechanics, a feasible goal, and player interactions, which should be a snap.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I am going to try to make a game about minor celebrities trying to gain popularity through a variety show a la Running Man. Tentatively called PopCon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If I get another goon to join me in this, does he also have to participate in the mandatory playtest of another participant's game? I suspect he's not going to have as much time as I will, and I'll be happy to shoulder the responsibility of playtesting.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This question is actually hard for me to answer, mostly because it affects who and what I can disqualify, as well as rulings I have already made.

But this contest is about the games first. They are the objective and the reason the contest exists. So here is my ultimate and absolutely fair ruling. Every game must be playtested. Every game must have its author/s run at least one playtest: that's one playtest total, not one for each author. This means that if you have multiple games, you yourself must still only run one playtest, but you must get each game you make playtested.

This impacts the rules for disqualification. Thus far I have focused on disqualifying authors. How then does this impact people signing up with multiple games? My answer: In the case of an author having multiple games, you are only disqualified from the contest if all your games fail to meet standards. I already pity you enough for trying to juggle two games in a single month. If a game with multiple authors does not make the cut, both authors are disqualified. And if one author of a game makes me cross enough, I will disqualify that author and anything that has their name attached to it, even if the other author has done no particular wrong. But at least they escape the Wall of Shame!

However, I will now impose a hard limit. There is now a hard cap of at most two authors per game, and two games per author. The original rules will be amended to reflect this.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sorry for bringing up such a troublesome scenario. Thank you for the clarification.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

But this contest is about the games first. They are the objective and the reason the contest exists. So here is my ultimate and absolutely fair ruling. Every game must be playtested. Every game must have its author/s run at least one playtest: that's one playtest total, not one for each author. This means that if you have multiple games, you yourself must still only run one playtest, but you must get each game you make playtested.

If that's the case, I think I might not be able to officially enter because I don't know if I'm going to have time to organize a playtest at the end of the month.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Tentatively entering an idea for a game based on the sliders for city funding in SimCity 2000, called Red Tape.

Subtitle: YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUN, YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There is no tentative stepping. There is only the Wall of Shame, silently judging you. ONE WAY.

Though Evil Mastermind narrowly escapes it through proper management of time, well done.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There is no tentative stepping. There is only the Wall of Shame, silently judging you. ONE WAY.

Then I am all-in. Expect my name on the wall of shame fairly soon.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Another question that occurred to me while sifting through ideas: does the idea have to be publishable? Specifically, can it use an intellectual property or component that requires licensing?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Gau posted:

Another question that occurred to me while sifting through ideas: does the idea have to be publishable? Specifically, can it use an intellectual property or component that requires licensing?

I will think less of you if you don;t have signed permission to use IP that isn't yours.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll bite. I'm going to enter It's Not the End of the World, a game about finding some thing that you don't remember what or where it was, in order to save the world.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gau posted:

I was going to point to rule 2 ("You have to be original") and be cross, but...

Red_Mage posted:

I will think less of you if you don;t have signed permission to use IP that isn't yours.

...this is a much more hilarious solution. If you somehow manage to get signed permission or even a license, yes, you may use an extant IP. Otherwise, my rule 2 is so strict that you can't even use open source. And, of course, I don't mind ones where the serial numbers are filed off (see Lemon Curdistan's entry).

Red_Mage gave you reprieve today, Gau. You should thank him.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
Helena P. Blavatsky and myself are making the following:

Arcana is a tarot-deck based game about power struggles between wizards. Wizards, nigh immortal and extremely powerful, spend their days ferreting out each other's secrets in order to gain influence and dominion over their fellows. Chief among these secrets is a wizard's hidden true name, a sequence of syllables that if discovered grants great control over the bearer. The system uses Major Arcana cards to generate characters via something akin to Tarot readings, and Minor Arcana to handle spellcasting. Mages can also gamble letters of their true name to juice up spells, at the risk of revealing those letters to the sorcerer they are opposing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Alright, I'm doing this. Alone, sadly. I wasn't able to get my brother to participate.

I'm not sure what kind of system I'm gonna use, but I'd be remiss to not give this a shot. I will be entering Overruled, a game where teams of lawyers search for and present evidence to defend their client or lock away a criminal.

I'm leaning towards some sort of resource management game for investigation and trial stages. Something that can be spent when the player suspects they can use an advantage to uncover or present something important, but can be ignored when intuition, wit, and verbal skills will suffice.