Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Gau posted:

Another question that occurred to me while sifting through ideas: does the idea have to be publishable? Specifically, can it use an intellectual property or component that requires licensing?

I will think less of you if you don;t have signed permission to use IP that isn't yours.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

mugrim posted:

Maybe I'm missing it but does it have to be an RPG? I have an idea for a cardgame called "The Elites"

Man I don't know. What is an RPG really man.
:okpos:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Gau posted:

I would playtest Nothing Amazing Ever Happens Here until my eyes/fingers/anus bled.

My Designer sense tells me that all of the following are likely to happen. Also chafing.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Ulta posted:

I'm changing my entry to "Jurassic Central Park". Dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they live in New York. They are avoiding attracting too much attention, holding down their dino-job, and avoiding being exposed by Jack Horner, famous paleontologist.

Mechanics involve how long it takes for you to eat a chicken wing (carnivore roll) or celery stick (herbivore role).

This is genius, and if you drop out I will cry. This is geniunely the greatest thing I have heard in years of RPGs.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
The stage is cold and empty, bathed in the primordial darkness and stillness of a time before time. A single floodlight lights, illuminating a single man with a single instrument. He draws a single hand across it with a practiced ease and a single note rings out. A faint but audible gasp is heard from the crowd assembled in the dark. A second sweep of the hand and a second note, this time joined by a second light, a second person, a second instrument. A third, a fourth, one by one the lights come up and one by one the pieces fall into place. A sound that can make a world unto itself from the primordial stillness. Knowingly the crowd joins in, their cheers and rhythm a counterpoint and harmony shaping the world around them, their own voices mingling with the music and creating something far greater than the sum of all parts assembled. The crowd would never know what it took to get here, the pain and struggle, the joy and hope and burdens of thousands of years of accumulated toil in the service of the existing song. But you will, you will take up the mantle of the singer, the player, the world maker. You will feel the joy, loss, heartbreak and pain, but as you push through you will realize that none of it matters. All that matters is the connection. Note to Note, Heart to Heart, Voice to Voice, Beat to Beat, Amp 2 Amp.

http://sdrv.ms/My9eLZ

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Preface: You people are all polemic and promoting bad game design and teaching bad hobbies with your games. My game (Amp 2 Amp) eschews traditional methods of "randomization" in favor of a more compelling game experience. Interactivity.

While most games make you a passive slave to dice, cards, or chicken wings, only my game actually puts you in control of your destiny. Your performance in Amp 2 Amp is based entirely on your skill and acumen as well as your party's skill and acumen, and you know that your resolution to your individual plot and your bands plot is actually up to you and not some idiotic random ineffable law of the universe.

Your games cause brain damage and are responsible for the malformed youth of this generation who insist that everything is the fault of society, or insist that they be handed their experience on a platter, you have taught them that the universe is outside their control. Cards on a table that were dealt in advance or that their fate is literally carved into the wood of the table they sit down at. You also promote laziness with your "tabletop" play, whereas Amp 2 Amp encourages you to get up and move, to enjoy life and to rock out. Amp 2 Amp is active, engaging, innovative, and the best drat game in this thread. It will even be layed out for index cards in its final revision so that you need never sit at some basement table and peer at a book again.

In conclusion:
PLAY AMP 2 AMP
http://sdrv.ms/My9eLZ

Apologies for the lack of formatting, as you can see below formatting is the last concern on my list, I intend to improve it, as right now my game BLOWS past the 20 page bonus objective by being 77 pages.

Outline: A basic framework - done
Module 1: Working rules draft - done
Module 2: A full example of play that can be cribbed from
Module 3: Layout and formatting and fluf

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Amp 2 Amp 8/11 blog thing

I have no idea what time/day it is in GMT, and I cannot be bothered. Woke up this morning with a wicked sore throat and a headache, and then it decided to get hot out. This curtailed my plan to start running some numbers on Amp2Amp because it is hot as hell and I don't want to rock out. Its only 90 something here, but without any sort of Air Conditioning around and a house designed to bottle in heat there is just no escape.

So lets talk aesthetic, my plan of shifting the entirety of the rules onto index cards is to try and make Amp2Amp really easy to work with. You shouldn't have to lug out a batch of books or bag of dice or a flimsy paper sheet to work with Amp2Amp. I want it to be playable in a nerdy punk rock/frat house as a pickup game. To that end I intend to get it to a 30 card document thats pretty well laid out.

To promote the musical aspect I would like to try and play off of common musical cliches and works within those cliches. My example of play should, I hope, look like something in between Scott Pilgrim and Help! I want players to think about being in a band, and think about what thats going to entail outside the show.

Example Listening for today: Beth (by Kiss, but don't listen to the Kiss version, it is horribly bad), Rock and Roll Band - Boston

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
August 12th Amp 2 Amp Microupdate:

Holy poo poo it looks like that lovely open source Guitar Hero clone "Frets on Fire" has come a long way and is now like something playable. Well at least a fork of it is. There are 2 popular ones:

FoFix, which seems to be focused on closely emulating the mechanics of EITHER Rock Band (1,2,3 all try and keep the gameplay mechanics tightly similar) or Guitar Hero 3 (and by extension its predecessors)

and Phase Shift. Phase shift looks more polished out of the box, but that is about all I can find about it. I am going to give it a try to see if it is as close as FoFix is (since it looks marginally less hacked together.

Anyhow the practical upshot of this is that even if you completely lack any sort of console or fancy controller you can play my game, though your experience may be subpar. But an HTPC running phase shift might do.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Amp 2 Amp 8/13

Working on setlists and an attempt to establish narrative conventions is harder than I'd like it to be. I was really into Rock Band and as such have far more songs for Rock Band 3 than I'd care to admit (it was just as much my wife's fault to be fair). I keep stumbling into this idea of a format not unlike Glee, where the GM is picking a song (or better yet a setlist) that is directly relevant to the situation at hand. I suppose it is almost time for me to do the needful and fraps my frets on fire setup so I can have a proper example of play.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Gau posted:

So, I went to my hometown of Stevensville, Montana for the "weekend" to help my father get caught up for the rest of the fire season. A three-day trip has turned into a full week. The only internet here is 128k DSL through a Vista-laden 7-year-old computer (which has a beautiful widescreen, but if I change it from 1024x768 my dad yells at me because he can't read it without his glasses). I can't install any new software; he's already upset I put Chrome on the computer. I have to get on a four-wheeler or in a car to get the internet, because it's at the hangar, not at home.

Naturally, I didn't bring my laptop with me, and I won't return home until Friday mid-day at the earliest. I spent two hours on the phone with T-Mobile, the result of which was "You're hosed for data roaming. Sorry." So, my beautiful Galaxy S is a really, really nice Nokia 9600 right now. I finally got it to send and receive MMS.

I am undeterred. I will meet my goals, and what's more, I'm going to make up for the bits I missed last Friday. So gently caress you, Fate! gently caress you, Montana! gently caress you, Windows Vista! gently caress you, Cellular One!

I'll see you all in three days, which a completed module. There's no crying in baseball.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Amp 2 Amp microdevblog 14th

I have been playing still more rockband, and I have determined a way to resolve my setlist issues. I have also determined how to move the narrative along (hopefully) without causing too much slowdown.

The only concern I have now wrt to the logistics of the game is remote playtesting, the interplay between people is vital to this game, and sadly that will have to be thrown under the bus if people are going to playtest online. The upside to playing online though will be the ability to stack multiple games against eachother to create that linkin park experience so many of you must pine for.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Examples of play are now in Amp 2 Amp. I didn't want to camcord my tv screen, and it was too hot to find a decent way to bridge a ps3 to my pc. So you are all getting someone else's video of rock band play. Cest La Vie.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I started planning the contents of Module Two half an hour before I made that post.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Gau posted:

Well, I think we're even, because I just finished the bits I had planned to do. I'm going to try to throw together the Consequences chapter-thing before the deadline. It would be nice to be on schedule.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Run Amp2Amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
While we all await with baited breath various results, let me point you toward the October design contest, which you can actually get a head start on right now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504522